Author Topic: wolfking's official top 50 album thread v. Over and out  (Read 93340 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
The Allen/Lande trilogy is all out win.  The Battle is my personal fav, but nice choice to add to the list.

Not familiar with Martin era Sabbath at all (other than the song that Jay sent in my roulette, which was very good despite scoring low).  *sigh* ... more albums to check out.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
All of the Allen-Lande releases are terrific. Amazing to see Headless Cross on the list; this would make my list for sure as well. The Tony Martin era is criminally underated and I would put this one and Eternal Idol at the top. Great picks!

I knew you would appreciate that Sabbath pick.  :tup

The Allen/Lande trilogy is all out win.  The Battle is my personal fav, but nice choice to add to the list.

Not familiar with Martin era Sabbath at all (other than the song that Jay sent in my roulette, which was very good despite scoring low).  *sigh* ... more albums to check out.

When you get through the 5000 albums you have on your list, do check into the Martin era more, very melodic, you would like it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I have not been able to get into Allen/Lande, but The Headless Cross is a great album. Yes, the Martin era is very underrated.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
Martin era is the shit! I probably rank all the eras pretty evenly. But Headless Cross is my fave Sabbath record too :metal

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
Headless Cross is great.   :hat

Offline Lowdz

Can't fault those two picks.
I'm a DIO man when it comes to Sabbath (and Rainbow) but the Martin albums were good.

Offline senecadawg2

Allen/Lande sounds very promising, checking it out now!
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Great to see some love for Headless Cross.  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
30. Joe Satriani - Crystal Planet (1998)

Satch was the first guitar hero I got into as I just started learning the guitar.  His style, sense of melody, song writing and basic ability to make a song sing with just the use of the guitar was inspiring.  Crystal Planet was one of the first albums I got from him, and even though Surfing and Blue Dream did take up a lot of my time, Crystal Planet floored me and IMO is Satch's best work to date.  Furious guitar playing with lots of songs with plenty of balls, heaviness and exceptional melodies.  When studying the guitar, I purchased the tab book and learnt most of the album.  I loved these songs so much when I was doing guitar exams in my teens years, on three seperate occasions I picked songs from this album to play as the free choice.  Brilliant melodies and guitar playing and simply one of the best instrumental guitar albums of all time IMO.

Best tracks - Up in the Sky, Crystal Planet, Ceremony, Lights of Heaven, Time, Secret Prayer, A Train of Angels

Up in the Sky - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H99CaTY3uo
Crystal Planet - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZFWLEFLXqQ

29. Iron Maiden - Somewhere in Time (1986)

Not much to say that hasn't been said about this album from most of you Maiden fans on here.  The shift in style here worked so damn well for Maiden it was scary.  A perfect bland of metal and synths made these songs incredible.  Every track has great atmosphere, amazing sound and tones and just perfectly performed.  Great to see Adrian take more of a lead role here and adding his style of melodic/AOR sort of rock on the hit singles.  Being my fav band of all time and discovering this at the age of 13 rocked my world, and I still love it as much to this day.

Best tracks - Caught Somewhere in Time, Sea of Madness, The Lonliness of the Long Distance Runner, Stranger in a Strange Land

Caught Somewhere in Time - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3fVDCtc0OY
Sea of Madness - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47gxm1m2jus

28. Ark - Burn the Sun (2001)

This is simply one of the best, most underrated prog metal albums of all time.  The all star band only lasted two albums with this being the sophomore release.  The lineup of this album consisted of; Jorn Lande, Randy Cover, Tore Ostby, John Macaluso and Mats Olausson.  This band shoud have been bigger but unfortunely it just didn't work out.  This album is dark, progressive, sometimes twisted, sometimes beautiful, heavy, melodic, simply wonderful.  Lots of variety in the songs and every track has something different to offer.  The mood shifts from prog, prog metal, AOR, acoustic, industrial with a class ballad too.  Of course having Jorn Lande at the mic certainly doesn't hurt the quality either.  Killer songs and amazing performances throughout, everyone should check this album out pronto.  Also, check the song Noose for the inspiration for DT's This Dying Soul.

Best tracks - Heal the Waters, Torn, Burn the Sun, Noose, Feed the Fire, Missing You

Heal the Waters - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9zFICL-Lng (studio)
                         https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPyOUBZKu98 (live)
Torn - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNu4CsolUyM

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: wolfking's official top 50 album thread v. the top 30 has begun
« Reply #254 on: July 26, 2012, 05:21:01 AM »
Woo, great to see some love for Sea Of Madness. Such an underrated song :metal
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #255 on: July 26, 2012, 05:30:23 AM »
Woo, great to see some love for Sea Of Madness. Such an underrated song :metal

One of my all time Maiden favs actually.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #256 on: July 26, 2012, 06:01:33 AM »
Somewhere in time  :tup

And  :omg: at that Noose riff.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #257 on: July 26, 2012, 06:15:21 AM »
Somewhere in time is a good album, though not one of my faves from Maiden.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #258 on: July 26, 2012, 06:16:56 AM »
Haven't listened to Ark, but the other 2 albums are great, specially the Maiden one.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #259 on: July 26, 2012, 06:24:21 AM »
Talked about my disappointment with Somewhere In Time in Kirk's top 50. First IM album that wasn't great for me. Some good songs (Wasted Years, Alexander, Deja Vu. Title track was ok but didn't like tLOTLDR, SIASL etc.

I'm a huge Satch fan- have been since I bought Not Of This Earth on vinyl on release. Taught Steve Vai to play? That'll do for me. I did go through a bit of a fall out with those mid career albums, the S/T, crystal Planet, Creation etc. Not listened to this in years, will ahve to give it another go. probably suffered from not being SWTA and FIABD at the time.

The Ark is pretty good. Jorn's finest full album? Probably.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #260 on: July 26, 2012, 06:37:54 AM »
The Ark album is very good.

Great to see the love for Iron Maiden in these lists, Somewhere In Time in particular. Like I said before, for me, it hasn't aged that well, but when it came out, it was my favorite album by them. I loved that it was so different, especially after Powerslave, which I thought was stale at the time.
Title track is my #3 Maiden song!
It was also probably my favorite tour by them as well.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Furious guitar playing with lots of songs with plenty of balls, heaviness and exceptional melodies.

So much THIS. Crystal Planet is an incredibly awesome album and definitely among his best, constantly battling with Surfing With The Alien or The Extremist as my #1 Satch album.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #262 on: July 26, 2012, 08:19:05 AM »
Somewhere in Time  :metal

I like that Ark album too, but it didn't make my top 50

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #265 on: July 26, 2012, 01:15:52 PM »
It came before TDS as well.

Burn the Sun is a really great album, nice to see it here! Although disappointing that my favourite song from it, Just a Little, wasn't in your recommended tracks.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #266 on: July 26, 2012, 02:49:38 PM »
Great choices with Somewhere In Time and Crystal Planet  :tup

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #267 on: July 26, 2012, 02:57:19 PM »
Love Somewhere in Time.  Stranger in a Strange Land is such a killer song  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #268 on: July 27, 2012, 05:33:19 AM »
Somewhere in time  :tup

Yep, so similar.

Talked about my disappointment with Somewhere In Time in Kirk's top 50. First IM album that wasn't great for me. Some good songs (Wasted Years, Alexander, Deja Vu. Title track was ok but didn't like tLOTLDR, SIASL etc.

I'm a huge Satch fan- have been since I bought Not Of This Earth on vinyl on release. Taught Steve Vai to play? That'll do for me. I did go through a bit of a fall out with those mid career albums, the S/T, crystal Planet, Creation etc. Not listened to this in years, will ahve to give it another go. probably suffered from not being SWTA and FIABD at the time.

The Ark is pretty good. Jorn's finest full album? Probably.

I can totally understand people not really ranking SIT that high.  Definitely check Crystal Planet, you will like it.

And Burn the Sun is definitely top 3 when it comes to Jorn.

Somewhere in Time  :metal

I like that Ark album too, but it didn't make my top 50

That's cool, good to see some appreciation for it though.

A perfect bland of metal and synths

heh

You know what I meant.  :P

It came before TDS as well.

Burn the Sun is a really great album, nice to see it here! Although disappointing that my favourite song from it, Just a Little, wasn't in your recommended tracks.

Yeah, that's a really good one, to be honest, any of the songs could be in the best tracks list.

Great choices with Somewhere In Time and Crystal Planet  :tup
Love Somewhere in Time.  Stranger in a Strange Land is such a killer song  :metal

:metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #269 on: July 27, 2012, 07:02:52 AM »
27. Savatage - Gutter Ballet (1989)

This is the album that really got Savatage noticed, and this album is a wonderful metal record.  It's really difficult to describe this album correctly in words, it really has a unique sound of its own.  This cd still has a certain rawness of the bands early days but you can see the symphonic style shifting in, and really the mix works so damn well.  The duo of Jon's evil, raspy vocals and Criss' slicing leads just cuts you down to your knees every song, and Doc and Johnny lay a thunderous rhythm through the whole record.  Lots of variety, lots of metal and a couple of outstanding ballads.  This metal record has it all, and trying to describe it in words just doesn't do it justice.  Another one of my favs of my late high school years.  I got so excited when I discovered this band and especially this album, it's really something special and very underrated.

Best tracks - Of Rage and War, Gutter Ballet, When the Crowds Are Gone, Hounds, The Unholy, Summer's Rain

Gutter Ballet - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ubmft9_LeE8
The Unholy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBby8N3WQ00

26. Helloween - Rabbit Don't Come Easy (2003)

Yet another obscure choice from a classic metal band.  This is my favourite record from Helloween, and I never understood the lukewarm reception towards it.  IMO, this has everything Helloween is about.  It has the heavier tracks and it has the more lighthearted fun tracks, while it also has tracks in between which are just something a little different.  After the excellent Dark Ride, and a lineup change, this is the debut album with Sascha, who really IMO, has kept this band going strong and breathed some new life into them over the last ten years.  Also, most of the drums here are handled by King Diamond/Motorhead drummer Mikey Dee, so you know the musicianship on this is tight as hell.  Perfect lineup here.  Again, variety is a big key here, but it also has the speed and melody which keeps me hooked.  This is just perfect Helloween IMO, where all the classic elements can be found and all in fine form.  Lots of lovely guitar solos, melodic hooks and Andi sounds great also.

Best tracks - Open Your Life, The Tune, Never Be A Star, Liar, Sun 4 the World, Back Against the Wall, Listen to the Flies, Hell Was Made in Heaven

Open Your Life - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkzS-MmG3bw
Sun 4 The World - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OErC1bhpXk

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: wolfking's official top 50 album thread v. Ballets and Rabbits!!
« Reply #270 on: July 27, 2012, 07:42:11 AM »
Love that Helloween is getting some love on these threads but I much prefer the Keeper 1 & 2 albums

Savatage also deserves much love although I never was able to connect with the singers after Jon decided to step away from the vocal department. His vocals and style was as much a part of the "savatage sound" as the music itself too me (Hall of the Mountain King is my favorite , but Gutter is defineatly a top 3 'Tage' album for me )

Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #271 on: July 27, 2012, 08:04:54 AM »
Wow, a very controversial choice for a favorite Helloween album, some of the songs on there like Never be a star or Liar aren't exactly my cup of tea. But it's still really good.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #272 on: July 27, 2012, 08:12:12 AM »
Gutter Ballet!  :heart
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #273 on: July 27, 2012, 08:27:56 AM »
I haven't listened to Gutter Ballet in years.  I need to pull that one out for a spin  :hat

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #274 on: July 27, 2012, 08:31:37 AM »
Gutter Ballet is such a great album  :tup and it was my introduction to Savatage. The ballads When The Crowds Are Gone and Summer's Rain bring me almost to tears every time and the rest of the songs ain't shabby either.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #275 on: July 27, 2012, 08:48:16 AM »
Was listening to Gutter Ballet yesterday. Still a great metal album and it was my first Savatage album. Love the instrumental Temptation Revelation too as well as the songs you listed. Great pick.

The Helloween I don't know. Only really heard the first 2 Keepers and Pink Bubbles (which I like).

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #276 on: July 27, 2012, 09:52:26 AM »
I don't know if I would put Gutter Ballet in my 'tage top 3 albums, but I didn't exactly do 'tage in chronological order.  I'm still a Streets/DWD/EoT guy.  But some 'tage is always better than no 'tage, and GB isn't bad, I just perfer others.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #277 on: July 27, 2012, 10:55:34 AM »
Boom, that's a one two punch of metal. Good choices!!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #278 on: July 27, 2012, 12:17:43 PM »
Boom, that's a one two punch of metal. Good choices!!  WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #279 on: July 27, 2012, 04:09:47 PM »
Wow, a very controversial choice for a favorite Helloween album, some of the songs on there like Never be a star or Liar aren't exactly my cup of tea. But it's still really good.

Yep, I knew it would raise a few eyebrows.

I haven't listened to Gutter Ballet in years.  I need to pull that one out for a spin  :hat

Yeah, it's amazing.

Gutter Ballet is such a great album  :tup and it was my introduction to Savatage. The ballads When The Crowds Are Gone and Summer's Rain bring me almost to tears every time and the rest of the songs ain't shabby either.

Yeah, most Savatage ballads are so emotional and are real tear jerkers.  Great songwriting.

Was listening to Gutter Ballet yesterday. Still a great metal album and it was my first Savatage album. Love the instrumental Temptation Revelation too as well as the songs you listed. Great pick.

The Helloween I don't know. Only really heard the first 2 Keepers and Pink Bubbles (which I like).

Yeah, Criss' solo on Temptation is amazing.  Check out this Helloween, I think you might like it.

Boom, that's a one two punch of metal. Good choices!!  WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:metal