Author Topic: wolfking's official top 50 album thread v. Over and out  (Read 93128 times)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Korn? that's not even music. I've seen them twice. Yuck! :)

Oh, it's definitely music, and amazing music I might add.  Why would you see them twice if you hate them?

Two great albums that don't get nearly enough love.  :tup

:metal
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Korn? that's not even music. I've seen them twice. Yuck! :)

Oh, it's definitely music, and amazing music I might add.  Why would you see them twice if you hate them?

They were opening. I saw them open for Megadeth in 95. I would've skipped them, but they came on after Flotsam & Jetsam, and I love them. Korn was absolute fuc#ing noise in the club setting.

Then in 96, I saw them open for Ozzy. Honestly, I didn't know they were the opener, but I was already in the Centrum before they started. I will say that it was a much better experience in the arena.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
The Ultimate Sin was the first Ozzy disc I bought as well; love it. It deserves more attention and it's a shame that ozzy himself doesn't like it. The title track and shot in the dark are two of ozzys best tunes. Definitely moved into hair metal territory from his previous discs. Korn, however, wouldn't make my top billion list. Yuck.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Shot In The Dark IS a great tune!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Recommending Korn on a prog board may cause trouble  ;D

But seriously I like some of their stuff and they definitely had their own style.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Mladen

Too bad I haven't heard any of the first four entries in this list. Also, I'm quite surprised that Korn released their first album in 1994, I didn't know that.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
Although Korn isnt my cup of tea...saw them a few months ago (My son loves them) in a club setting, they are actually a very tight live band and tore the place up I was pleasantly surprised
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline BanksD

Though I can't stand Korn much anymore. That album still holds a bit of nostalgia value for me, so I can't bash you for it.  :tup

Offline senecadawg2

Say what you will about Ozzy, he does have some COOL album covers. As for Korn, I've never been a fan, but their music always has intrigued me.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Ozzy even ignored the ultimate sin during the latest round of remastering his back catalogue. I think the era just holds bad memories for him in regards to his drug use. Too bad, because he should realize its a kick ass album and lots of people love it. Bottom line, nice to see it on wolfs list.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Saw Ozzy on the Ultimate Sin tour with Metallica.  TAC, remember Jake E. Lee getting pulled into the crowd by his headstock?  He got back up and threw his guitar across the stage, got a new guitar and then pointed for 2 songs until the A-hole that pulled him in was arrested.

Great album.  Love Killer Of Giants.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Saw Ozzy on the Ultimate Sin tour with Metallica.  TAC, remember Jake E. Lee getting pulled into the crowd by his headstock?  He got back up and threw his guitar across the stage, got a new guitar and then pointed for 2 songs until the A-hole that pulled him in was arrested.

Great album.  Love Killer Of Giants.
Unfortunately, I had tix for the Providence show. Sometime between Worcester and Providence, Ozzy got sick and the Prov show was postponed.
So I missed that tour...and Metallica!! :censored

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
Not TOO big on Korn, but I recognize their impact and respect where they come from as musicians.

The Ultimate Sin is massively underrated.  Great album. :metal

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
I freaking LOVE "The Ultimate Sin" probably my favorite Ozzy Album  :metal

Offline Lowdz

Agree with everything you said about The Ultimate Sin. Jake was awesome- shame he's wasted his talent since Badlands.
Saw Ozzy live with Jake on this tour and fell in love with the blue Charvel. Wanted one ever since but never got one.

Korn: again, not my thing.

Had a listen to Gamma Ray's Land oF the Free and so far suitably impressed.

Offline contest_sanity

Tastes are tastes, so it's all cool, but people today who are like lolKorn forget how groundbreaking that album was in 1994.  So dark, down-tuned, and evil -- and yet dripping with honesty, pain, and emotion.  Yeah, nu-metal eventually got completely out of control, as all movements do, but a lot of those early Korn songs are still awesome to me.  Good pick!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Tastes are tastes, so it's all cool, but people today who are like lolKorn forget how groundbreaking that album was in 1994.  So dark, down-tuned, and evil -- and yet dripping with honesty, pain, and emotion.  Yeah, nu-metal eventually got completely out of control, as all movements do, but a lot of those early Korn songs are still awesome to me.  Good pick!

what he said.  Was never a fan of Korn, but certainly acknowledge many were, and they had an impact on the music industry.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
Wolf!!!! Great selections with "The Ultimate Sin" and "Korn"!  :metal

I'm admittedly a big Ozzy fan but "The Ultimate Sin" is a great album. The guitar work is awesome and I can listen to the whole album and really enjoy pretty much every song. I wouldn't put it above the first three solo releases but that's just how highly I regard those albums.

Korn catches way too much shit. They are easily bagged on because they are disregarded by the majority of the community they would play to (metal fans) so the rest of the music community just piles on.

From what I've seen the main reason the metal community has had issue with the band is because they have had rap tinged musical songs off and on (which is looked down upon in the scene), a number of their songs are about being outcasts instead of some macho, fantasy world, devil worshiping bs that is so, so f'n boring to me.

What I like about Korn is they took their style and have progressed it from the beginning. To those who dismissed them from first impression miss a lot of what they can offer. They have albums with synths and atmospheric stuff and the latest release while I'm not heavy into the dubstep scene they took and blended and made a nice album IMO with that as well.

Getting back to "Korn" though, it was a revolution in the sound of heavy music going forward with the down-tuned and 7 string guitars and I really enjoy listening to it still today. 

Good stuff Wolf!  :biggrin:

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
i WAS a korn fan in my younger days. then flipped a switch one day and became something of an lolKorn kind of guy.
but its one of the korn dudes on guitar for that thomas lang Stork album, right(?)...love that shit.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I really appreciate the attention my list is getting so far.  Thank you all for following, and I'll have a few more favs as we go along.  I appreciate the overwhelming response to The Ultimate Sin, it's great to see so many digging it.

I also appreciate the open mindness of Korn being here.  I didn't expect many to like it, but as a lot of you have pointed out, it was an important album, and it did leave a big impression on me.

Apologies I can't update more, but I'm only at home an hour every night.  Plus, I can't be online here as much during work time as I have been moved and and am performing higher duties for the next 3 weeks.  So I will keep updating daily, but not at a rate I would normally like.  I will never let the list go for days on end, so you can always expect an update daily.

Cheers again and look forward to bringing out more underrated classics for you guys.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Wolf I'm assuming we can expect Iron Maidens X Factor at some point?  :P

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Wolf I'm assuming we can expect Iron Maidens X Factor at some point?  :P

I predict The X Factor and Jugulator will be Top 10 albums :P
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
You will just have to wait and see fellas, not giving anything away.  :P

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
46. Live - Secret Samadhi

Another odd choice from a well respected artist here.  I was a huge fan of Live back in the mid ninties when they were popular, and you can see why they were simply a terrific band.  Throwing Copper was of course classic, no one can deny that, but it was 1997’s Secret Samadhi that was my fav from Ed and co.  A very dark album here which even has some slight metal undertones at times.  Ed’s bizarre lyrics fits the moods and atmosphere perfectly and really, some of the lyrics really make you step back and say WTF?  Take the line in Century “Puke stinks like beer” or the line in Graze, “Forget your mother and your father, they aren’t important son,” needless to say shocking words regardless of the context they were written. That’s one of the great things I loved about this album.  Ed’s occasional use of profanities in Freaks and Unsheathed really compliment the songs too.  I just love everything about this album and even the softer songs are dark as hell and drip with atmosphere.  Lots of variety too and some superb concepts and melodies.  A shame the band couldn’t continue in this fashion.

Best tracks:  Lakini’s Juice,  Graze, Unsheathed, Heropsychodreamer, Freaks

Lakini’s Juice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnFKaU8H4v8
Heropsychodreamer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SE91wkpqI8

45. Vanishing Point - Embrace the Silence (2005)

The first melodic prog entry in my top 50 and it comes from Australian band Vanishing Point.  An extremely underrated band that I am proud to support and spread the word of a fellow Aussie band.  Mason is a big fan, and Chad is getting a good grasp on them too.  Vanishing Point play a more atmospheric, melodic progressive style of music more focused on melodies than musical technique.  Saying that, they are extremely accomplished musicians and do throw a lot of flashy solos and time signatures in from time to time, but melody is the key, and that’s what makes Embrace the Silence an entry in my top 50.  A long album with 13 tracks nearly maxing out the cd time, every track drips with melody.  There is not a huge range of variety between the songs, but I love the sheer consistency of the record.  Silvio’s vocals are smooth, pleasant and easy to listen too with a great deal of melody in his voice.  Great harmonies from vocals and guitar and a solid rhythm section too.  Not much more too say, really, the atmosphere of the album is incredible and was one of those albums I loved listening to at night while driving, great mood. The band haven’t been active for a few years and I hope they can release some new material at some stage.  All their other albums are worth checking out too.

Best tracks: My Virtue, If Only I, Seasons of Sundays, Once A Believer, Somebody Save Me

Once A Believer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2EMDB-uYNE
Somebody Save Me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdY5e4VxjQs

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
Re: wolfking's official top 50 album thread v. The popular and unknown
« Reply #129 on: July 17, 2012, 06:24:03 AM »
That is a nice Live album. Their first three cd's were quite good. Overall they could be hit or miss with me but that's a good selection.

Have not heard of Vanishing Point. Although I not to long ago got into another Australian Prog/Metal band Voyager and I have a friend who plays for Alarum a more intense prog metal band from down under. I'll have to check into Vanishing Point.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: July 17, 2012, 07:01:37 AM »
So far nothing I would put near my top 50 and some that I haven't listened to. I'll follow and see if I can get to know some new stuff
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #131 on: July 17, 2012, 07:10:52 AM »
I know neither band, but I am currently listening to Vanishing Point and it's sounding pretty badass. :2metal:
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #132 on: July 17, 2012, 08:23:58 AM »
Hey wolf, which album was the song you sent me in my roulette in? I'll deffs be checking these guys out :)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #133 on: July 17, 2012, 08:24:39 AM »
Vanishing Point is sweet, for sure.  Any melodic or prog-rock (it's not overly heavy, or traditional... kinda middle of the road) fan should have a gander.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #134 on: July 17, 2012, 09:04:31 AM »
That Live album (we always used to jokingly call it Secret Samurai) is fantastic.  In my book, not quite as good as Throwing Copper but still a mature followup that lived up to the pressure of the moment.  Equal parts heavy and light but, as you say, a certain darkness throughout.  The musical talent on display, too, might surprise people not familiar with the band; Live could always play really tightly as a band.  Definitely not your lowest common denominator alt-rock.   This was the last Live album that I really enjoyed as a complete album (although Ed's recent solo album recaptured some of that 90's magic).  Great pick!!!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #135 on: July 17, 2012, 09:47:56 AM »
That's a kickass album cover. I'll try it out sometime.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #136 on: July 17, 2012, 10:52:58 AM »
Vanishing Point was already on my list of bands to check out - hope to get to them soon
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #137 on: July 17, 2012, 11:09:25 AM »
Count me a fan of VP. Good stuff, very melodic.
Never got into Live as I thought them a bit too Alt for me. Don't think I've heard a note though. I'll go to YT and report back.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #138 on: July 17, 2012, 12:25:49 PM »
You already knew I as VP fan.

I was big into Live growing up, partly because there were a local band.  I've seen them live more than any band not called Dream Theater, but the last time I saw them was in 1999.  Not my thing really anymore, but I certainly wouldn't knock someone for liking them.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #139 on: July 17, 2012, 02:59:18 PM »
Live sounds promising, on my first listen. I've only ever heard a couple songs from VP, but it definitely sounded right up my alley. I'll have to give it a more thorough listen later.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.