Author Topic: DirectV  (Read 2151 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
DirectV
« on: July 13, 2012, 01:21:12 PM »
Anyone else have Directv and missing the Viacom channels? I complained today and asked for an offer, I'll be getting 20 dollars off every month for the next year, thank you Viacom and Directv! I hardly even watch those channels anyway.

Offline countoftuscany42

Re: DirectV
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 08:24:37 PM »
We had just gotten DirecTV just a few weeks ago, so this is rele pissing me off >:(
I love comedy central and VH1Classic, so missing those is rele annoying.  i know theyll sort it out, but for the time it sucks

Offline Cable

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 10:35:59 AM »
I side with direcTV. Viacom raised their prices, and their statement was something like "a few pennies more a day per customer is not bad".

[rant] yes Viacom, it is. You are a content provider like others that continue to raise prices, while it is debatable if your product has also raised in quality. You are the reason cable is suspected to hit $200 per month in 2020 in the US. It is absolutely absurd, and i hope the pirates that steal TV and films bring you, and the major film studios down to the ground. [/rant]

That said, i do not steal media, and buy all my music now. The difference between musics' fall and films' hopeful fall is CD prices were not gouched year after year.
---

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 10:41:50 AM »
There's some similar shit going on with AMC I think.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 10:58:15 AM »
Non-subscriber here.  My biggest issue with them was always the 2 year hitch.  I'd love to be able to get the NFL Ticket come football season, but I'm not paying those asswipes for the other 16 months I couldn't stand to watch. 

Yeah, I side with DTV, as well.  Similar deal as when I was a TWC subscriber and couldn't get the NFL Network.  All of that is a huge part of the reason I dumped cable, and it's only going to get worse.  These things will become more and more fractured to the point that any one service is worthless.  You might find a $200 cable bill preferable to having to subscribe to Comcast for half your stuff and Verizon for the other half.  I actually find the future of television in this country quite fascinating.  I really don't know how it's going to sort itself out, but my hunch is that it won't be pretty.

Of course this applies to streaming, as well.  I believe Netflix lost the Viacom programming a while ago.  You'll see those guys continue to fracture and only carry programming they're affiliated with.  That's why I adopted the CableX approach years ago, and don't feel the slightest bit bad about it.  Like I'm going to pay hundreds of dollars to watch Mission Impossible reruns from 1968?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 02:48:51 PM »
There's some similar shit going on with AMC I think.

I believe I read that as well, although not with Directv, I forget who.

Anyway, I side with Directv as well because with online media these days and the economy and yes, the content isnt the best IMO, then I dont think Viacom has a right to propose such an increase.  However, I think in the end Directv settles and still pays a lot.  I'm just happy with the deal they gave me and that I am no longer on a contract with them so I can leave if it gets worse.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 02:52:14 PM »
AMC's problem is with Dish. Which has taken off the channel... now I can't watch Breaking Bad tomorrow, I mad.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 03:05:50 PM »
I have DirecTV and side with them as well, but since I suspend my service every summer I really can't call up and complain I'm missing those channels now.  Now, if this protracts out another month hopefully I can score a nice deal (like NFL Sunday ticket discount).  When the whole split went final, DirecTV appologized to their subscribers and are offering discounts, and Viacom mocked us.  Pretty easy to see who's wearing the black hat there.

I'm very happy with DirecTV, 7 year customer and I don't plan on switching.  NFL Sunday Ticket was the original hook, but Dish TV are a bunch of dishonest coniving bastards who have tried several times to get me to switch by calling and pretending to be DirecTV (done this to friends as well), and they have a ton of crappy shopping channels in their base package.