Author Topic: I figured out exactly what it is that makes Awake one of my least favorites...  (Read 18098 times)

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
I don't know what that snipped link was, but I found out about it in the Liner Notes on "Making Of SFAM" bootleg.

Quote from: Mike Portnoy
We had written a 20-something minute version of the inevitable sequel to the "Images And Words" track back in 1996, but it was tossed aside by all of the other material we ended up writing for "Falling Into Infinity."
When the time came to start a new CD in 1999, we knew we had to revive and finally include Metropolis Pt. 2 this time around...
Once we determined it was time to finally tackle a concept album, the 2 ideas on the table became 1 and we decided to expand Metropolis Pt. 2 into a full length album!
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
I love 6:00, Caught in a Web, Innocence Faded, and New Millennium. And I'm glad Raise the Knife isn't on FII, because although musically interesting at times, the lyrics bother me, especially after Portnoy's departure.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Awake is almost perfect. It just has a slight case of SpaceDyeVestitis that it needs to be cured of.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Awake is almost perfect. It just has a slight case of SpaceDyeVestitis that it needs to be cured of.
Fucking THIS, and that one has even grown on me somewhat.

I have no idea what some of you are talking about regarding the keys on this album.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
I have no idea what some of you are talking about regarding the keys on this album.
I think they're just bored, really  :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
I don't know what that snipped link was, but I found out about it in the Liner Notes on "Making Of SFAM" bootleg.

Quote from: Mike Portnoy
We had written a 20-something minute version of the inevitable sequel to the "Images And Words" track back in 1996, but it was tossed aside by all of the other material we ended up writing for "Falling Into Infinity."
When the time came to start a new CD in 1999, we knew we had to revive and finally include Metropolis Pt. 2 this time around...
Once we determined it was time to finally tackle a concept album, the 2 ideas on the table became 1 and we decided to expand Metropolis Pt. 2 into a full length album!

It was "tossed aside" in the sense that several songs ended up being cut, but MP has said that, if it had been up to him FII would have been a double album of all of the songs written for the album, including M2.

It was "tossed aside" in the sense that several songs ended up being cut, but MP has said that, if it had been up to him FII would have been a double album of all of the songs written for the album, including M2.

He said that he wanted M2 on FII?
It really doesn't make sense to me that they 'completed' the demos, wrote and recorded the vocals and everything, but the only thing of M2 at that existed at that time was a live rehearsal demo. I really don't think they intended on including it on the album. That's why it's labeled as a bonus track on the FII Demos.

Offline SjundeInseglet

It really doesn't make sense to me that they 'completed' the demos, wrote and recorded the vocals and everything, but the only thing of M2 at that existed at that time was a live rehearsal demo. I really don't think they intended on including it on the album. That's why it's labeled as a bonus track on the FII Demos.

They did intend to include it on FII but abandoned the idea halfway through the album's writing sessions. I remember reading about it on an interview JP gave to a guitar magazine sometime back in 1997.  I think it was featured on the November 1997 issue of "Guitar World" (but don't quote me on that).

They did intend to include it on FII but abandoned the idea halfway through the album's writing sessions. I remember reading about it on an interview JP gave to a guitar magazine sometime back in 1997.  I think it was featured on the November 1997 issue of "Guitar World" (but don't quote me on that).

Right. So even if they had released FII as they envisioned it, with Cover my Eyes and all those songs, then Metropolis Pt. 2 still wouldn't have been on it.

Offline Pelata

• Extremus Melodicus
Nah.  There's nothing wrong with it.

This. Awake is Dream Theater's best sounding album as a whole.

I wholeheartedly agree...

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni

They didn't write and record them all at once.  They kept writing and demo'ing songs over a long period of time waiting for the label to finally let them go into the studio to record an album.  If the label had continued to drag their feet a little longer, M2 would have been completed.

They didn't write and record them all at once.  They kept writing and demo'ing songs over a long period of time waiting for the label to finally let them go into the studio to record an album.  If the label had continued to drag their feet a little longer, M2 would have been completed.

I don't know. All signs still point to the fact that by the time they finished all the demos, they had no intention of putting M2 on the actual album. I mean, I could be wrong, but I haven't seen any evidence to suggest otherwise.
I mean, what you're telling me, did they actually SAY that in an interview? Or are you speculating?

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni

I don't know. All signs still point to the fact that by the time they finished all the demos, they had no intention of putting M2 on the actual album. I mean, I could be wrong, but I haven't seen any evidence to suggest otherwise.
I mean, what you're telling me, did they actually SAY that in an interview? Or are you speculating?

It's from a post MP made on his forum.  Unfortunately, his site is blocked by my work so I can't look it up right now.  I'll try to dig it up later, although the forum search at mp.com sucks.

It's from a post MP made on his forum.  Unfortunately, his site is blocked by my work so I can't look it up right now.  I'll try to dig it up later, although the forum search at mp.com sucks.

I see. Well, nevertheless, even if they WERE originally going to include M2 on FII, which does make sense since they started working on it. Considering that they never did finish that version, and they had 2 discs worth of Demos, I'm sure that even if the record company said, "Okay, we like all the songs you gave us on the demos, let's make it into the double album that you want it to be," they still would've went ahead with what they had and not included M2 on it.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
Awake is the best DT album in most ways. Keyboard is a weak spot though, I still don't get how Kevin Moore is all that.

Offline WildeSilas

Whatever problems Awake has are more than made up for by JP's fucking monster guitar tone, MP's intro to 6:00, and the entirety of LSOAD and SDV. When it came out, it blew the balls off of everything else released that year (and for a few years after). JP was using 7 string before it became a "thing" with nu-metal. And they all dressed in black, which was pretty awesome for a prog-band at the time.
No light at the end of the tunnel due to budget contraints