Author Topic: The Threshold Thread v. Divided Lines  (Read 61612 times)

Offline Lethean

Re: The Threshold Thread v. For the Journey (merged)
« Reply #385 on: May 10, 2018, 12:29:30 PM »
Do you guys know if they'll play the whole new album at the Night Of The Prog? Or will they play other songs as well?

I don't know 100%, but I think they'll do other songs and are saving the whole album for their own tour.

I was hoping it would be this way. I bet, their new one is great, but I don't know it so well yet. Also, maybe it's better for a festival if they play their classics, because 1. they dont have so much time like at their own concerts (and Legend is super long) and 2. people wanna hear Mission Profile and Light & Space goddamnit
:rollin  The people, or you?  :)  In all seriousness, I kinda agree with that.  They're not the headliners, so they might not have a long enough slot.  Logistically, it might not even be possible.  Otherwise, for most festivals with all kinds of different metal,  I'd say they should do a mixed set. But for a prog festival - if they had the time, maybe as headliners, it wouldn't be out of line for them to do their first double album in it's entirety. If they had a 2 hour slot they could still play Light and Space and Mission Profile too. (Both are favorites of mine too).

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #386 on: May 11, 2018, 01:00:46 AM »
Do you guys know if they'll play the whole new album at the Night Of The Prog? Or will they play other songs as well?

I don't know 100%, but I think they'll do other songs and are saving the whole album for their own tour.

I was hoping it would be this way. I bet, their new one is great, but I don't know it so well yet. Also, maybe it's better for a festival if they play their classics, because 1. they dont have so much time like at their own concerts (and Legend is super long) and 2. people wanna hear Mission Profile and Light & Space goddamnit
:rollin  The people, or you?  :)  In all seriousness, I kinda agree with that.  They're not the headliners, so they might not have a long enough slot.  Logistically, it might not even be possible.  Otherwise, for most festivals with all kinds of different metal,  I'd say they should do a mixed set. But for a prog festival - if they had the time, maybe as headliners, it wouldn't be out of line for them to do their first double album in it's entirety. If they had a 2 hour slot they could still play Light and Space and Mission Profile too. (Both are favorites of mine too).

In fact, Neal Morse and Spock's Beard did just that 2 years ago (2 years already? wow).
But yeah you got me. I would like a cool mix of their best songs better  :biggrin:
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #387 on: May 11, 2018, 10:15:30 AM »
:D

For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #388 on: May 11, 2018, 10:21:11 AM »
Nick, are you the guy on the right, or Seth Rogen?  :)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #389 on: May 11, 2018, 10:23:09 AM »
Nick, are you the guy on the right, or Seth Rogen?  :)

Although I've never really seen it before, Seth Rogen, apparently.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #390 on: May 11, 2018, 10:24:11 AM »
And Nick does not have his laugh as well. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #391 on: May 11, 2018, 10:24:27 AM »
I totally see it in that pic, but I'm a huge Seth Rogen fan so that's also a compliment  :metal
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #392 on: May 11, 2018, 10:48:06 AM »
Pretty sure I saw you both there, and heard at least one of you being totally wrong about The Astonishing... :)

Offline Lethean

« Reply #393 on: May 11, 2018, 10:52:59 AM »

In fact, Neal Morse and Spock's Beard did just that 2 years ago (2 years already? wow).
But yeah you got me. I would like a cool mix of their best songs better  :biggrin:

Hehehe.  Since I get to see them live almost never, I was very happy with the set they played.  Both the obvious ones, and songs like Hollow and Pressure, which I think may get overlooked but are *incredible*.  Looking at their setlists however, I think they could probably stand to mix it up a bit more than they do.  If I got to see them on each tour I'd be wanting them to bring out some more songs.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #394 on: May 11, 2018, 01:55:10 PM »
Pretty sure I saw you both there, and heard at least one of you being totally wrong about The Astonishing... :)

Must have been Mason then, because I will take my stance on The Astonishing to the grave. :lol

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #395 on: May 11, 2018, 02:28:40 PM »

Must have been Mason then, because I will take my stance on The Astonishing to the grave. :lol

Which is completely (and oddly... for you) 100% correct.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #396 on: May 11, 2018, 02:56:57 PM »

Dammit.  I was there too! I wish I knew you were there!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #397 on: May 11, 2018, 03:03:23 PM »
Sounds like you missed out on making a bunch of new friends, Lethean  :biggrin:

Offline Lethean

« Reply #398 on: May 11, 2018, 05:05:27 PM »

Are you in the picture with Nick?

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #399 on: May 11, 2018, 07:35:07 PM »

Are you in the picture with Nick?

Nah, Dr. DTVT is the other DTF member in that picture.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #400 on: May 11, 2018, 09:08:46 PM »
Are the 3 of you Rosfest "regulars?"

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #401 on: May 12, 2018, 07:14:52 AM »

Although twice it was only for a day, I've been to RoSfest 6 times since 2010.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #402 on: May 12, 2018, 07:25:25 AM »

I've gone the last 4 years with my wife.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #403 on: May 12, 2018, 11:28:19 AM »
Ah OK.  I had been once before - I found out about it while looking up Riverside tour dates and thought the lineup was very cool.  I went for the whole thing, but when I got there, I heard a lot of complaints about the lineup and it seemed to be an anomaly.  I remember one person talking about how Shadow Gallery was a "local band" and maybe that's why all these new people showed up for that day.  It was odd, but the guy I sat next to told me that a lot of the bands were much heavier than usual.  This time I just went for Saturday, and knew more about what to expect so I wasn't thrown like I had been the first time. 

Offline Lethean

« Reply #404 on: July 10, 2018, 12:47:28 AM »

Hey Fritzinger, almost time for Night of the Prog.  Any chance you could put a GoPro on your head and live stream Threshold's set?  Just a little favor... :)

Offline Lethean

« Reply #405 on: July 22, 2018, 08:41:56 AM »
Okay, I can see that perhaps my request was slightly unreasonable.  How about a nice review for me though?  Did they play the songs that the people wanted to hear? :)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #406 on: July 30, 2018, 07:48:03 AM »
So I've slowly been going through the Threshold discography (thanks, Spotify!) since some people here are superfans of them, and I'm going to ProgPower this year with a friend who's recently become a very big fan of them. I have one record left to hear - For The Journey, which I hope to get to tonight - but I wanted to rank them as I view them at this moment.

1. Dead Reckoning
2. Legends of the Shires
3. March of Progress
4. Subsurface
5. Psychedelicatessen
8. Clone/Hypothetical/Critical Mass
9. Wounded Land/Extinct Instinct

So that's probably blasphemous to a lot of Threshold fans but that's how I honestly feel. I hesitate to call any of these albums 'bad' but Wounded Land and Extinct Instinct are just hard to get through for me. Damian's voice isn't fun to listen to. The songwriting isn't bad, but I honestly feel like almost all of their albums are too long. Cut a few songs, or shorten each song by a minute or two... There used to be a time I could enjoy a full hour or more of metal on every album but sometimes you gotta know when to stop; I've been appreciating 30-something and 40-something minute albums in recent years that just get to the point, so an hour of material is something I'm sensitive to.

Clone/Hypothetical/Critical Mass - I get the feeling these are the ones you have to love to consider yourself a Threshold fan which makes me wonder if I can even call myself a fan. I find the songwriting on these albums lifeless, sterile... There's a lack of compelling vocal melodies, not enough energy, a lot of the songs blend together and sound the same to me. I wanted to like these, I really did, but I'm just surprised at how flat they fell. I would have to call these boring. Not bad, just boring, and not something I would listen to again. These albums represent one of my biggest disappointments with the band in that I don't find many of their lyrics to be interesting.

Psychdelicatessen - I like this one a lot. Glynn's voice is great and there's a distinctly metallic edge to the production here which I enjoy. It's got some of that energy that I missed on the above albums, oddly. Young band hit gold? This was one of my favorites at first but can't compete with the later albums.

Subsurface - An improvement on the Clone/Hypothetical/CM formula, to me, but it's a grower. The first time I heard it, I didn't remember a single vocal melody until What About Me - and it turns out that's a bonus track. That has the most fitting vocal melody and delivery on the album, I think, and it's a shame it's relegated to bonus track status. Better songwriting though, better playing, although again, I wish they would've trimmed some of the fat.

March of Progress - hell yes. Modern metal record, typically guitar-driven Threshold, but it's just done so well. Damian's voice is way better on this album than his early two. I really like this album.

Legends of the Shires - awesome record if, again... too long! But the songwriting is fantastic and everyone's on fire, especially Glynn, who sounds wonderful. Huge choruses, great riffs, uptempo enough to keep the energy going. And the 'softer' stuff is as good as the heavier ones (looking at you, Stars and Satellites).

Dead Reckoning - Incredible from start to finish, the perfect balance and definitive of what Threshold is to me. Lyrically it's great, the production is great, Mac's performance and the vocal melodies are superb, it's got it all.

So yeah... I think I can call myself a fan of this band.  :biggrin: Although maybe not a big fan, or only really a fan of their modern output, but I enjoy at the very least 5 of their albums, three of them I enjoy a lot. I predict For The Journey will rank high, given the trend.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #407 on: July 30, 2018, 08:00:27 AM »
Not a completely off-the-wall rating.  Dead Reckoning at the top is a bit odd, but it's an excellent album.  I personally love MoP, so it being top-3 isn't surprising to me.  I'm a big Damian fanboi, so I rate Extinct Instinct fairly well.

IMO, they haven't really had a 'bad' album, so ranking them is a matter of what's best, and what's least best.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #408 on: July 30, 2018, 08:14:50 AM »
I wouldn't say they have a bad one either. But man, I really want to like C/H/CM but there's just nothing clicking with those. To use a crass phrase I guess it's like the band 'found their balls' with Dead Reckoning and apparently have kept that fire burning since. DR is just tops to me. Pilot... is their best song and Slipstream is close. I would have to go Mac > Glynn > Damian as far as favorite singers.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #409 on: July 30, 2018, 08:32:20 AM »
IMO, they haven't really had a 'bad' album, so ranking them is a matter of what's best, and what's least best.

Truer words have never been spoken. :)

Offline Lethean

« Reply #410 on: July 30, 2018, 08:36:36 AM »
Not a completely off-the-wall rating.  Dead Reckoning at the top is a bit odd, but it's an excellent album.  I personally love MoP, so it being top-3 isn't surprising to me.  I'm a big Damian fanboi, so I rate Extinct Instinct fairly well.

I love Extinct Instinct.  It took a while for me to come to like Damian's voice on it - it was my first exposure to him and I needed some time to get used to his voice and get used to them with him, since I heard the first 3 Mac albums first.  But  eventually I did get used to his voice, then started to appreciate it, then really enjoy it.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #411 on: July 30, 2018, 08:38:20 AM »
Firewings - listen to Sanity's End, Surface to Air, and Paradox from Wounded Land just once each to refresh yourself, then for the love of god please go listen to Livedelica.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #412 on: July 30, 2018, 08:42:49 AM »
Firewings - listen to Sanity's End, Surface to Air, and Paradox from Wounded Land just once each to refresh yourself, then for the love of god please go listen to Livedelica.

Haha. Maybe. I'm not keen on live stuff except from bands I'm REALLY into although the live bonus tracks on I think Subsurface were pretty good.  I'm itching to hear a new band now :)

Offline Lethean

« Reply #413 on: July 30, 2018, 08:54:03 AM »

Haha. Maybe. I'm not keen on live stuff except from bands I'm REALLY into although the live bonus tracks on I think Subsurface were pretty good.  I'm itching to hear a new band now :)

It's short - 41 minutes - so you should like that part, and since you like Glynn's voice, I think you'd enjoy him live.  Now, I have to get some work done before even thinking about results, so stop distracting me with Threshold posts.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #414 on: July 30, 2018, 08:57:38 AM »
 :rollin

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #415 on: July 30, 2018, 03:48:10 PM »
Okay, after hearing For The Journey... I'm not sure where exactly I would put it but I didn't enjoy it. That was a disappointment and I don't think I'll go back to it. Oh well. At least I made the journey through the catalog. I'm going to buy the albums I liked :)

See, something I don't like that they do on every album is have the metal guitar tone but they spend far too much time playing in that slower or midtempo speed and it drags everything down. When the songs are usually 6-8 minutes too it just seems to go on forever. Damian's singing was a little odd on that one, too, which was a big factor in why I didn't enjoy it much. I need that driving tempo, just pushing it a little bit faster. Most of the albums sound very similar in that regard so any tracks that speed it up stand out to me. (I read reviews on progarchives and metal-archives for every album and I find it fascinating that almost nobody has this problem with the music. It makes me think I'm being nitpicky but I'm really not, it's simply a quality of the songwriting I don't like)

This band is confusing to me in more ways than one. So much here I should like and yet I don't. Then again I think it's pretty clear, I need those elements that made me love Queensryche's early material so much, or the aggression of Fates Warning. Threshold strikes me much more as a 'rock' band so I think therein lies some of my problems with the sound. Of course like any band I'm glad I took the time to hear all the albums and I wouldn't have done that if I didn't think it was worth my time.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 03:55:02 PM by Kattoelox »

Offline Lethean

« Reply #416 on: July 30, 2018, 04:20:31 PM »
It may not (or may) be you being nitpicky, but you know what I think the main reason is.  For what it's worth, For the Journey would be lower in my ranking, but, see jingle's comment.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #417 on: July 30, 2018, 04:30:32 PM »
It may not (or may) be you being nitpicky, but you know what I think the main reason is.  For what it's worth, For the Journey would be lower in my ranking, but, see jingle's comment.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #418 on: July 30, 2018, 04:45:59 PM »

In all honesty I'm a little tired of the 'you haven't given it enough listens' argument (from anyone, on most subjects, not just Threshold, so it's nothing personal). Like, I feel I am experienced enough to actually know what I don't like more than what I do like, because there's a lot of stuff I do like that I don't know I enjoy until I hear it. If that makes sense. But I know what I don't like, and I know what it is when I hear it... Lethean, I predict at least one fierce debate about Threshold at PP, depending on how willing you are to get pissed off at me  :lol

For what it's worth, before I heard FTJ in full, I heard the bonus track first (Spotify kept playing after MoP finished), I think it was called I Wish I Could or something, and it was really nice.

EDIT: Edited so as to not ruffle feathers, since I've been thinking all day whether or not I actually am a Threshold fan given the problems I have with their music. For all the stuff I do truly love there seems to be even more that I don't much care about.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 05:13:22 PM by Kattoelox »

Offline Lethean

« Reply #419 on: July 30, 2018, 05:32:42 PM »
Disagree all you want, but I still think that.  :P

As for whether you're a "fan" or not, does it really matter?  You're a fan of the stuff you like.