Author Topic: The Threshold Thread v. Divided Lines  (Read 61595 times)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: The Threshold Thread v. For the Journey (merged)
« Reply #175 on: October 29, 2014, 10:15:35 AM »
Critical Mass was my first Threshold album, and I really liked it at the time, but I wouldn't say it's one of my favourites. Of the Mac-era, Hypothetical and Clone are my favourites, and I really like Subsurface as well. Dead Reckoning I found a bit meh though.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #176 on: October 30, 2014, 04:22:46 AM »
Dead Reckoning was my first Threshold album, so that one will always be a special one to me.  Pilot is simply one of the greatest songs they have ever done.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #177 on: October 30, 2014, 04:59:53 AM »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #178 on: October 30, 2014, 05:07:42 AM »
I saw that video yesterday. That song absolutely blows. I haven't pick this up yet, but I'm in no rush to.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #179 on: October 30, 2014, 05:24:19 AM »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #180 on: October 30, 2014, 06:23:55 AM »
I saw that video yesterday. That song absolutely blows. I haven't pick this up yet, but I'm in no rush to.

I do like it, but it's probably one of the weakest songs on the album.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #181 on: November 03, 2014, 11:34:25 AM »
So I have owned Hypothetical for awhile now but just gave it a spin in my car the other day. I liked what I heard, although there was that kind-of-out-of-place ballad in the middle, which was GOOD, but still felt weird among all the other metal songs.

Anyways, I was looking for suggestions about another one or two albums I should visit next? I was thinking about Critical Mass and/or Subsurface based on ratings on progarchives, as well as them being the next albums after the one I have.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #182 on: November 03, 2014, 02:15:13 PM »
So I have owned Hypothetical for awhile now but just gave it a spin in my car the other day. I liked what I heard, although there was that kind-of-out-of-place ballad in the middle, which was GOOD, but still felt weird among all the other metal songs.

Anyways, I was looking for suggestions about another one or two albums I should visit next? I was thinking about Critical Mass and/or Subsurface based on ratings on progarchives, as well as them being the next albums after the one I have.

-Marc.

You can't go wrong with either of those two.  Subsurface is my favorite Mac-era album.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #183 on: November 04, 2014, 08:42:41 AM »
I'd go Subsurface next as well.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #184 on: November 10, 2014, 07:35:43 PM »
Although I have every Threshold album since Clone, I never was a massive fan of them.
Maybe I never gave them enough time, or seeing them play an awful live set put me off.
But I really got into them when DW joined for March of Progress, which I enjoyed.
Since then I have gone back to the Mac era and wow I am kicking myself for not doing this before.

There's just something about Mac, his sense of melody, phrasings and general influence that makes Threshold sound different with him (I mean that besides the bleeding obvious).
Listening to Dead Reckoning, I almost have a lump in my throat knowing that he is gone and this was his last Threshold album.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: November 10, 2014, 07:40:09 PM »
I love Dead Reckoning.  Still sad that Mac is gone so soon.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #186 on: November 10, 2014, 07:47:22 PM »
Yeah sad he is gone and so young.
I was lucky enough to see them twice live with Mac, ProgPower 1999 in Holland and 2006 in England.
Dead Reckoning is great, Threshold at their peak. So good I just ordered it on double clear vinyl for a bargain $33 inc shipping from UK.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #187 on: November 10, 2014, 07:48:52 PM »
Not to change the subject, but the new album might be the weakest overall effort from the band.  The first three albums at least had bright spots, but the new one is just kind of middling at best.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: November 10, 2014, 07:53:02 PM »
Not to change the subject, but the new album might be the weakest overall effort from the band.  The first three albums at least had bright spots, but the new one is just kind of middling at best.

I liked it quite a lot, but saying that, I don't go back to it that much.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: January 26, 2015, 08:02:23 PM »
Can anyone tell me who writes the lyrics, particularly for the Mac-era albums like Hypothetical and Critical Mass? I've been really sinking my teeth into those two albums the past few months and the lyrics are just outstanding. It doesn't say in the booklets.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #190 on: January 27, 2015, 01:26:13 AM »

I liked it, but never go back to it so I tend to agree. There are not many stand out moments for me.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #191 on: January 27, 2015, 09:43:14 AM »
I personally prefer For the Journey than March of Progress. Siren Sky kicks massive ass. Having said that, I still miss Mac. Clone, Hypothethical, Subsurface, Critical mass and Dead Reckoning are great and enjoy them a lot.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: January 27, 2015, 02:50:50 PM »
I personally prefer For the Journey than March of Progress.

Me too.

Offline JLa

« Reply #193 on: January 28, 2015, 06:20:51 AM »
I like Threshold, but I think their songs and albums sound awfully "same-y". It's like any track could be on any album and it wouldn't matter, they sound so similar anyway. Maybe it's just me, though.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #194 on: July 22, 2015, 08:24:48 PM »
So I'm continuing to work my way through the Threshold discography. I started late last year with Critical Mass, which I absolutely loved, and then went to Hypothetical, which I recently decided I love even more. I might even put Hypothetical in my 10 favorite albums of all-time. I'm now starting to sink my teeth into Subsurface and I just stumbled across the video for "Pressure."  Holy shit! That song is unbelievable! Every new song I discover from the Mac-era is like a precious gift knowing that he isn't with us anymore.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 08:38:27 PM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #195 on: July 22, 2015, 08:36:14 PM »
So I'm continuing to work my way through the Threshold discography. I started late last year with Critical Mass, which I absolutely loved, and then went to Hypothetical, which I recently decided I love even more. I might even put Hypothetical in my 10 favorite albums of all-time. I'm now starting to sink my teeth into Subsurface and I just stumbled across the song "Pressure."  Holy shit! That song is unbelievable! Every new song I discover from the Mac-era is like a precious gift knowing that he isn't with us anymore.

:tup

I haven't listened to any Mac-ere Threshold lately, but I do spin Yargos and his Powerworld album every so often.  I think I know what I'm listening to tomorrow.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #196 on: July 22, 2015, 08:39:41 PM »
Can anyone tell me who writes the lyrics, particularly for the Mac-era albums like Hypothetical and Critical Mass? I've been really sinking my teeth into those two albums the past few months and the lyrics are just outstanding. It doesn't say in the booklets.
Good question - I don't have my CDs handy, but I would've assumed that they were in the credits. However, something in the back of my mind tells me that for the most part it was Jon Jeary, Richard West and Karl Groom that did the lyrics. I don't think Mac wrote many of them (if any at all).
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #197 on: July 23, 2015, 08:12:28 AM »
I personally prefer For the Journey than March of Progress.

Me too.

Interesting. For the Journey didn't really do anything for me, but I may need to spin it a few more times. March of Progess however kicked total ass!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: August 13, 2015, 05:34:05 AM »
From FB this morning:

There's a double-live-album coming up: »European Journey«, which was recorded at various venues across Europe during November 2014, in support of their current studio album »For The Journey«.
»European Journey« contains 15 live tracks and will be released as a 2-CD digipak, out November, 13th.
Pre-order »European Journey« here: https://nblast.de/Threshold
Richard West comments: "We had a fantastic tour playing so many fan favorites going back to '97 with 'Part Of The Chaos' through 'Mission Profile', 'Pilot In The Sky Of Dreams' to the present day with 'The Box'. We recorded some shows along the way and it's turned into this really powerful double album".
"Threshold continue to enjoy fantastic support from our loyal fans. The band have always enjoyed mixing with the people who listen to our music and this tour was no exception”, adds Karl Groom.
»European Journey« tracklist:
CD1
01. Slipstream
02. The Hours
03. Liberty Complacency Dependency
04. Ground Control
05. Unforgiven
06. Long Way Home
07. Part Of The Chaos
08. Coda
CD2:
01. Watchtower On The Moon
02. Pilot In The Sky Of Dreams
03. Lost In Your Memory
04. Mission Profile
05. The Box
06. Turned To Dust
07. Ashes

Wish it was a DVD, but I'll take it.  Day 1 buyer right here.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #199 on: August 13, 2015, 06:15:14 AM »
I skipped their last album. Was that a mistake?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #200 on: August 13, 2015, 06:17:44 AM »
I skipped their last album. Was that a mistake?

If you are fan of what they have been doing, then yes, check it out.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #201 on: August 13, 2015, 06:21:55 AM »
You know what it was? I bought March and thought it was OK. I ended up not listening to it. And I wasn't thrilled with the last couple of Mac albums, so I decided to pull back when Journey came out. I didn't want to buy an album that I would only listen to twice. I think the first song released off of it didn't do it for me.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #202 on: August 13, 2015, 06:27:37 AM »
I like Journey more than March, but from what you've said, I'll listen first before spending the cash.

Oh, that live cd should be good too.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #203 on: August 13, 2015, 06:43:19 AM »
I think I will get the Live CD. If the Journey songs impress me, I'll go back and buy the studio album. There, that's my plan.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #204 on: August 13, 2015, 06:53:02 AM »
I think I will get the Live CD. If the Journey songs impress me, I'll go back and buy the studio album. There, that's my plan.

Not a bad plan.  I personally prefer MoP over FtJ... but they're pretty close.  Definitely try before you buy.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #205 on: August 13, 2015, 08:04:37 AM »
Nice! But for Threshold I would prefer a DVD probably. Still, this should be interesting. 

On a sidenote, I wish DT did this approach and records several shows on audio over the course of a tour.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #206 on: August 13, 2015, 08:09:31 AM »
I don't know. I'm a big fan of a live album being a single show.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #207 on: August 13, 2015, 09:44:52 AM »
Nice! But for Threshold I would prefer a DVD probably. Still, this should be interesting. 

On a sidenote, I wish DT did this approach and records several shows on audio over the course of a tour.

Never heard/seen Chaos in Motion?

I don't really care which approach a band takes, so long as the production is good - which is what brings down CiM.  Livecrime is stitched together over 2 shows, as are a lot of live albums (along with re-recorded parts for the "mistakes").

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #208 on: August 13, 2015, 10:06:50 AM »
I've bought March of Progress after my roulette for 3$ or so. The album was alright, but I didn't spin it a lot, maybe three times before I shelved it. Still, I think I'll check this live album out.

This big time. I'm alright with several shows approach, but if it's one single show without rearranging any tracks, it's a big plus for me.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #209 on: August 13, 2015, 12:18:02 PM »

For me, it depends on which artist. For a DVD, I obviously prefer one show. Also when there is some kind of narrative (concept album played, for example). But in some cases, I like the whole tour approach for three things; It allows for picking the best performances, there are basically no setlist limitations (making obscure songs more likely, for example), and it gives the feeling of a band on a world tour taking you "along". Not necessarily better, but this concepts has it's perks.

As for why I mentioned DT: I already got quite some single/double DT shows on DVD and vinyl and I think Labrie can be very inconsistent. I guess Happy Holidays already gave me something, though.