Author Topic: The Threshold Thread v. Divided Lines  (Read 61600 times)

Offline adace

The Threshold Thread v. Divided Lines
« on: July 11, 2012, 04:07:18 AM »
This sounds amazing. Really wish the band members weren't talking over the song, but I am still thoroughly impressed.  :metal :metal :metal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AH4EWifqLk&feature=g-u-u
« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 02:10:17 PM by ariich »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Threshold - March of Progress
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 04:40:56 AM »
Sounds incredible.  Been waiting for this for a while.  :metal
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 05:43:15 AM »
:caffeine:

Still no North American release date though?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 05:44:35 AM »
Sounds cool! I love Damian's voice!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline crimson king

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 06:23:18 AM »
Thanks, i have been waiting for this for a long time- they are one of my favourite bands and it has been too long since 'Dead Reckoning'. The song sounds very promising, i just wonder why Johanne James can't speak   :biggrin: (i am sure he is not dumb, i heard his voice on Kyrbgrinder records)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 06:28:51 AM »
He just wouldn't have been around when they did the interviews.  Most of the interviews are post making the album so he did his drums a long time ago, so he probably just didn't hang around for teh entire recording time.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 06:48:49 AM »
I prefer Mac in Threshold, but after hearing the Headspace album I'm super psyched for this.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 08:57:11 AM »
I'm with you, Nick.  I never really cared much for Damian Wilson's prior output with Threshold, but his voice definitely grew on me with that Headspace album, so I am going to be listening to this new Threshold stuff with a new perspective. 

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 10:50:02 AM »
I'm with you, Nick. I never really cared much for Damian Wilson's prior output with Threshold, but his voice definitely grew on me with that Headspace album, so I am going to be listening to this new Threshold stuff with a new perspective.

That is a Nick-level fail right there.  Extinct Instinct is great.  Wounded Land is pretty damn fine too.  Not knocking Mac at all, the stuff there is awesome, but I'm just as much a fan of the two Wilson albums.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 10:54:05 AM »
Maybe they'll round up Van Morrison, and Barbara Streisand and have a "We've Gotten Over Our Stage Fright" Tour 2012.

Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 11:01:10 AM »
YBS... this will be the last prog-band-with-a-five-year-hiatus you can slag (I think).  Whatever shall you do come September?

:rollin

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 11:50:48 AM »
I'm with you, Nick. I never really cared much for Damian Wilson's prior output with Threshold, but his voice definitely grew on me with that Headspace album, so I am going to be listening to this new Threshold stuff with a new perspective.

That is a Nick-level fail right there.  Extinct Instinct is great.  Wounded Land is pretty damn fine too.  Not knocking Mac at all, the stuff there is awesome, but I'm just as much a fan of the two Wilson albums.

Extinct Instinct is hands down my favorite album of theirs. And honestly I think I like both Mac and Wilson equally. There's no distinctive preference.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 02:01:35 PM »
:caffeine:

Still no North American release date though?

I"ll let you know when it...er..."pops" up.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 02:06:16 PM »
so what's the chances they will ever do a small U.S. tour?

I've been a fan of this band for 12 years now and would love to see them.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2012, 02:18:44 PM »
Tour? Slim to none. I would consider a ProgPower appearance in the next three years to be a good possibility though.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2012, 03:43:47 PM »

I think the problem for me was I heard Mac first.  My first Threshold album was "Clone" and I loved it.  In fact, I didn't hear the older stuff with Damian Wilson until I had purchased all of the Mac stuff first, so it was a little bit of a shock to the system, I guess.  I didn't think it was "bad" or anything, but I just didn't care for his voice.

It has grown on me quite a bit, though.  In fact, I think I will go back and listen to that Threshold material with fresh ears and see what I think now.  Why not?

Offline robwebster

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2012, 03:59:45 PM »
See, I was the opposite. I only checked out Threshold cos I really liked Damian Wilson's vocals in Ayreon, so I was a bit disappointed when I pecked out songs at random only to repeatedly find some other fellow howling along.

Seeing them live clicked everything into place, for me. Instantly fell in love with Mac in the right context. Bought Clone straight off the bat for the Latent Gene alone. This was followed, based purely on the snazzy name, by Psychedelicatessen, which I reacted to in much the same way I reacted to Mac's vocals. "This is fine, but not at all what I was looking for." This is still subject to re-evaluation, as I have yet to see Glynn Morgan live. I liked Under the Sun, though.

Wounded Land didn't come until much later, and despite some superb tracks, superb vocals and a superb cover art, it's never stuck with me in the same way as the albums of Mac's era. So primordial - none of the slick keys, soaring melodies, thick harmonies. Good album, I enjoyed it, but they'd quite clearly not found their identity yet - very different to the band they'd eventually become.

Never checked out Extinct Instinct - only gap in my collection, shame on me! - so I'm very excited to finally hear Damian Wilson singing with the big, beefy, confident Threshold. I do wish it were under less tragic circumstances, but this trailer has cemented that excitement, at the very least.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2012, 04:21:51 PM »
See, I was the opposite. I only checked out Threshold cos I really liked Damian Wilson's vocals in Ayreon, so I was a bit disappointed when I pecked out songs at random only to repeatedly find some other fellow howling along.

Seeing them live clicked everything into place, for me. Instantly fell in love with Mac in the right context. Bought Clone straight off the bat for the Latent Gene alone. This was followed, based purely on the snazzy name, by Psychedelicatessen, which I reacted to in much the same way I reacted to Mac's vocals. "This is fine, but not at all what I was looking for." This is still subject to re-evaluation, as I have yet to see Glynn Morgan live. I liked Under the Sun, though.

Wounded Land didn't come until much later, and despite some superb tracks, superb vocals and a superb cover art, it's never stuck with me in the same way as the albums of Mac's era. So primordial - none of the slick keys, soaring melodies, thick harmonies. Good album, I enjoyed it, but they'd quite clearly not found their identity yet - very different to the band they'd eventually become.

Never checked out Extinct Instinct - only gap in my collection, shame on me
! - so I'm very excited to finally hear Damian Wilson singing with the big, beefy, confident Threshold. I do wish it were under less tragic circumstances, but this trailer has cemented that excitement, at the very least.

Whoa, go get Extinct Instinct ASAP. In my eyes its the I&W of Threshold. There is some wild stuff on that album. It was actually the last Threshold album that completed my collection and I really regret not getting it earlier.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2012, 05:57:39 PM »
I got into them initially due to Dr.DTVT's recommendation for Dead Reckoning, and then jumped on to them because I love Wilson in Star One.  Went with EI, and a damn fine thing I did.  Then promptly got the full discog.  Not a bad one in there... even Pyschedelicatessen is pretty good.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2012, 06:12:11 PM »
Sounds cool. I really need to check out more albums from this band.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2012, 01:30:30 PM »
I guess I should probably go ahead and get the rest of their albums.  I have Wounded Land, Hypothetical, Critical Mass, Clone, Dead Reckoning and Subsurface......I think Hypothetical and Clone are probably my favorites, but they're all good. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2012, 01:41:17 PM »
March Of !

March Of !

March Of Progress I'm pulling your strings !

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2012, 06:13:02 AM »
I went ahead and purchased "Extinct Instinct" from Amazon.com download.  It's a damned fine album  :tup

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2012, 04:13:23 PM »
I guess I should probably go ahead and get the rest of their albums.  I have Wounded Land, Hypothetical, Critical Mass, Clone, Dead Reckoning and Subsurface......I think Hypothetical and Clone are probably my favorites, but they're all good.

Hypothetical is by far their best album.  For some reason Clone just doesn't measure up to the rest of their catalog, it's my least played studio album by them.  I like their first three albums more than most people for some reason though.

Can't wait for the new album.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2012, 04:38:22 PM »

Hypothetical is by far their best album.  For some reason Clone just doesn't measure up to the rest of their catalog, it's my least played studio album by them.  I like their first three albums more than most people for some reason though.

Can't wait for the new album.

I've never really been able to get into Clone. That and Psycadelicatessen are albums I don't really listen to. Besides those two, I love all their other albums.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2012, 08:46:17 PM »
I'd say Extinct Instinct is their best.

Offline adace

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2012, 10:43:13 AM »
"Ashes" (the radio edit) is streaming!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0YGhE9Seok

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2012, 11:30:40 AM »
Damn that was hot!  Me excite.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2012, 12:13:54 PM »
Whoa, that sounds great!   :eek

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2012, 12:16:14 PM »
Yeah, Mac died last year from cancer.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2012, 12:17:29 PM »
Yeah, I forgot about that....  :facepalm:

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2012, 12:46:35 PM »
Can't wait to get home and listen.

Offline adace

« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2012, 04:05:26 AM »
official vid from Nuclear Blast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfkyRlL06hM&feature=g-u-u
Man this song is great. So darn catchy.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2012, 04:44:25 AM »
Great fucking song, I love it.

EDIT:  This song is simply amazing, I can't stop listening to it.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 05:28:07 AM by wolfking »