Author Topic: The Threshold Thread v. Divided Lines  (Read 62332 times)

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Threshold Thread v. For the Journey (merged)
« Reply #525 on: July 15, 2022, 02:13:52 AM »
I really like the new song, looking forward to the album.

Apparently they've said this about the new album: "If Legends of the Shires had a slightly darker, moodier older brother then this would be it".
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #526 on: July 15, 2022, 02:21:35 AM »
The new song is killer, lots of keys, great melody and Glynn sounds so perfect for the band  :xbones

Glad you agree..........I thought everyone would be pining for Damian by now  :D.  Unlike most I grew up with Psychedelicatessen (and less so Extinct Instinct) being "my" Threshold albums/era and , although I love plenty of their other work , their recent work with Glynn brings back a lot of memories and feels very "right" to me.  Keen to hear the new album  :metal

Not me I think Glynn is a perfect fit, he was great on Shires and the live album, besides I will be seeing Damian with Arena in October, now that will be interesting.
I actually like all three singers they have had.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #527 on: July 15, 2022, 05:08:04 AM »

Dividing Lines - November 18.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #528 on: July 15, 2022, 06:42:08 AM »
Threshold has been lucky to have three really good singers.  Glynn killed the old material live when I saw them at RoSFest a few years ago, and he was just a really awesome dude as well.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #529 on: July 15, 2022, 07:16:41 AM »
I must be missing something, I didn't think that track was that great at all.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #530 on: July 15, 2022, 08:09:26 AM »
The new song is killer, lots of keys, great melody and Glynn sounds so perfect for the band  :xbones

Glad you agree..........I thought everyone would be pining for Damian by now  :D.  Unlike most I grew up with Psychedelicatessen (and less so Extinct Instinct) being "my" Threshold albums/era and , although I love plenty of their other work , their recent work with Glynn brings back a lot of memories and feels very "right" to me.  Keen to hear the new album  :metal

Haven't heard the new song yet, but I'm SO with you on this  :) I actually did purchase Wounded Land when it came out, so I have super-fond memories of their debut, but I loved Psychedelicatessen and Glynn has always been my favorite vocalist for the band (despite singing on only one album until recently  ;)). I was happy when his return was announced - and Legends of the Shires was very good.

What did you think of his band, Mindfeed? It disappeared pretty quickly, but Ten Miles High is a little gem for me.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #531 on: July 15, 2022, 08:21:44 AM »
Official music video
https://youtu.be/XszH7l4Xf4E

One thing I noticed in the video, Karl is not playing an Ibanez, now using a Solar guitar.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #532 on: July 15, 2022, 10:02:55 AM »
That's a very solid song, and I'm excited about the full album! :metal

I hadn't listened to Threshold in a long time, mainly because they felt a bit too formulaic to me sometimes and just completely forgot about them for a few years, but I think I'm going to dive back into their catalog now to prepare for the new album :tup
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline nick_z

« Reply #533 on: July 15, 2022, 10:17:49 AM »
I thought the song was ok - only one listen, but I get a vibe similar to the more concise songs of the Mac-era, perhaps...?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #534 on: July 16, 2022, 05:55:29 PM »

What did you think of his band, Mindfeed? It disappeared pretty quickly, but Ten Miles High is a little gem for me.

Honestly I didn't give it much of a chance...........memories are hazy but a less melodic, slightly grungy version of Threshold is what I recall.  That and that there was another version of Innocent.  But yeah - might revisit and take another listen .
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #535 on: July 17, 2022, 03:05:54 PM »
I like the new single.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #536 on: July 17, 2022, 03:27:00 PM »

Honestly I didn't give it much of a chance...........memories are hazy but a less melodic, slightly grungy version of Threshold is what I recall.  That and that there was another version of Innocent.  But yeah - might revisit and take another listen .

I never heard their first record, but their second, and last (Ten Miles High) doesn't have much of the Threshold sound (well, if you don't count Glynn' voice and the fact that they have their own version of Innocent - which was 100% his song anyway). Yes, there's some grunge-y sound and a good dose of what could pass for "modern" metal in 1998 (the riff in the opener wouldn't be out of place in Machine Head's debut).  But it's a neat, powerful and well-produced record, and Glynn sounds absolutely phenomenal on it - he really does bring the songs to a higher level. Check out, among others, Cold Smile (that ending!), or the slow, mournful march in I Bleed.

Certainly not an album for the history books, but I've always enjoyed it. I wish they'd done more.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #537 on: July 23, 2022, 04:41:40 PM »
I may have finally turned the corner on Mac. Every few years I try and give Hypothetical a spin as it is the only Mac album I ever bought. With the new album coming soon, I gave it a whirl again. Well, I actually have to credit Glynn with the idea. I watched a video of them performing Mission Profile in concert and Glynn called out Mac.

Anyway, I wasn't as disgusted with him as I have usually been. I did think Keep My Head was a huge stinkburger, but otherwise I was enjoying it. The music is just so good. Mac will still be my third favorite vocalist in the band, but that goes without saying. So last night I ordered Clone, Critical Mass, Subsurface and Dead Reckoning. Looks like they are coming from Argentina so it will be a while before I have them. Wait, Dead Reckoning is coming from the States, the other 3 from Argentina. These are not easy to find.

This is why I gave up selling anything from my collection. Tastes change. I mean, I hated Rush for years because of the terrible vocalist and now they are my favorite band of all time.  :lol
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #538 on: July 23, 2022, 05:06:03 PM »
Mac had such a great voice. I guess I haven't heard enough of this Glynn guy.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #539 on: July 23, 2022, 05:42:41 PM »

Just discovered they have a Bandcamp. You can check out all of Glynn's stuff there. Like Damian said, Glynn has gravel in his voice that Damian just doesn't. He still has some great range. Here's 2 tracks to start with.

https://thresholdprog.bandcamp.com/track/will-to-give - from their second album Psychedelicatessen

https://thresholdprog.bandcamp.com/track/mission-profile-live-2 - from their 2017 live album

beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #540 on: July 30, 2022, 12:20:28 AM »
All my Mac albums have already shown up. Listened to Dead Reckoning already. Enjoyed it. Listening to Subsurface right now and it is kicking my butt! Still not entirely sold on Mac, but I have clearly gotten over my utter dislike of him since I am enjoying the crap out of these albums I have been missing.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #541 on: August 25, 2022, 01:58:16 PM »
New single is out today, Friday sounding pretty good too  :metal

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #542 on: August 26, 2022, 10:33:20 AM »
Video for 'King Of Nothing': https://youtu.be/fOx_pudo2aU
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Lethean

« Reply #543 on: August 26, 2022, 04:22:09 PM »

Haven't heard the new song yet, but I'm SO with you on this  :) I actually did purchase Wounded Land when it came out, so I have super-fond memories of their debut, but I loved Psychedelicatessen and Glynn has always been my favorite vocalist for the band (despite singing on only one album until recently  ;)). I was happy when his return was announced - and Legends of the Shires was very good.

Late reply but I love the two Mindfeed albums. :)

Offline Lethean

« Reply #544 on: August 26, 2022, 04:24:11 PM »
I'm trying to hold out and not listen to the singles; I'd like to just listen to the full album once it's out.  Very much looking forward to it though as I thought Legends of the Shires was incredible.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #545 on: August 26, 2022, 11:27:14 PM »
I'm trying to hold out and not listen to the singles; I'd like to just listen to the full album once it's out.  Very much looking forward to it though as I thought Legends of the Shires was incredible.

I usually only listen to the singles once or twice as I don't want to OD on them before the albums drops.
Yeah Legends was great, but sounds so bad sonically.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #546 on: August 27, 2022, 01:43:52 AM »
Enjoyed this one much more than the first single \m/

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #547 on: August 27, 2022, 04:09:23 AM »
Enjoyed this one much more than the first single \m/

Me too

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #548 on: August 27, 2022, 07:02:23 AM »

I usually only listen to the singles once or twice as I don't want to OD on them before the albums drops.

Really? I thought it sounded good production/mixing/mastering wise but I always thought that acoustic guitar at the beginning didn't sound too well, as in not professionally recorded.

That being said, Legend is a GREAT album. It's not often a band releases a double album this good so late in their career.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #549 on: August 27, 2022, 07:06:48 AM »
The latest song feels a bit bland to me to be honest.

Legends of the Shrines was amazing, their best together with March of Progress in my opinion.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #550 on: August 27, 2022, 11:59:15 AM »

Really? I thought it sounded good production/mixing/mastering wise but I always thought that acoustic guitar at the beginning didn't sound too well, as in not professionally recorded.

That being said, Legend is a GREAT album. It's not often a band releases a double album this good so late in their career.

It not sounding good sonically never once crossed my mind; I wasn't thinking about it at all which I guess for me personally is a good sign.  But in fairness I almost never complain about the sound/mix//etc.  For me, if all I'm thinking out is whether I like the songs or not, then I guess the record sounds just fine.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #551 on: August 27, 2022, 04:02:46 PM »

Just discovered they have a Bandcamp. You can check out all of Glynn's stuff there. Like Damian said, Glynn has gravel in his voice that Damian just doesn't. He still has some great range. Here's 2 tracks to start with.

https://thresholdprog.bandcamp.com/track/will-to-give - from their second album Psychedelicatessen

https://thresholdprog.bandcamp.com/track/mission-profile-live-2 - from their 2017 live album

I'll have to give Legends Of The Shire a proper listen. I never gave it any attention.

I listened to the new single the other day and yawned my way through it. The band doesn't seem to have the same musical aggression. Maybe it's just the song.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #552 on: October 07, 2022, 03:23:43 AM »
Third single is here, 'Complex'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XZ4crYfzE0

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #553 on: October 11, 2022, 10:31:37 AM »
Only heard Complex a couple of times, Glynn is a huge breath of thresh air for the band.
BTW I spoke to Damien Wilson before the Arena gig last week, about his departure from the band, he was very open and honest about it too  :yarr

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #554 on: October 11, 2022, 07:12:27 PM »
BTW I spoke to Damien Wilson before the Arena gig last week, about his departure from the band, he was very open and honest about it too  :yarr
What did he have to say?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #555 on: October 12, 2022, 04:12:45 AM »
He basically said that Rich and Karl wouldn't let him contribute as much as he wanted and froze him out.
That said he was not at all bitter and very complimentary about Glynn Morgan.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #556 on: October 12, 2022, 09:47:10 AM »
That seems pretty much the opposite of what Karl had said.  But I suppose maybe the reason Damian wasn't interested anymore is because he felt he wasn't able to contribute so he checked out.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #557 on: October 28, 2022, 11:35:54 PM »
Well, this is odd. Rich has a new band and is releasing a sequel to Legends Of The Shires with them. I was intrigued until I saw he will be handling lead vocals. Any idea what his voice is like?

https://bravewords.com/news/richard-west-s-oblivion-protocol-signs-to-atomic-fire-records-work-on-the-fall-of-the-shires-concept-album-underway

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #558 on: November 18, 2022, 12:59:53 AM »
Today is release day for 'Divided Lines' some 10 months after the band delivered the album to their label.
I am mega happy with it, played it twice already, it has a dark sinister sound and feel to it.
The songs are great, melodies galore, nothing really new, but as you'd expect from Threshold nothing short of magnificent.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #559 on: November 18, 2022, 01:50:25 AM »
Today is release day for 'Divided Lines' some 10 months after the band delivered the album to their label.
10 months seems excessive. Apparently industry timescales are now about 6 months (compared with more like 3-4 months pre-COVID) due to vinyl production times. Not sure what they were doing the rest of the time!

Anyway, first listen is sounding good so far.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.