Author Topic: The Threshold Thread v. Divided Lines  (Read 61855 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Threshold Thread v. For the Journey (merged)
« Reply #350 on: September 27, 2017, 11:52:21 PM »
So, I went through Critical Mass and Subsurface in past two days. The first one was awesome, but Subsurface didn't clicked for me. Only Mission Profile and Ground Control are the songs that I remember. And what happened with the guitar souns on that one? At least Mat is giving very solid vocal performance. I'm looking forward to next albums. For now, it was a very pleasant journey. My ranking from what I've heard:

1. Psychodelicatessen
2. Wounded Land
3. Extinct Instinct
4. Hypothetical
5. Critical Mass
6. Subsurface
7. Clone

Yay - someone else on the planet has Psychedelicatessen as their fave.  Made my DTF Top 50.   I grew up with that album and thought of them back then as rather unusual , in that they had the prog label but not much in the way of flashy playing.   Didn't actually seem capable of playing flashy but were good writers.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #351 on: September 29, 2017, 01:13:46 PM »
Looks like Karl Groom has shed some light on Damian's departure...

Link: https://www.progradar.org/index.php/2017/09/28/interview-with-karl-groom-of-threshold-by-progradar/

Q: Glynn Morgan has returned and replaced Damian Wilson on vocals, any particular reason why?

Karl: I can tell you what happened, we never wanted to make a statement because we’re not in the business of trying to put Damian down or anything, he’s a really valued member of the band and he did a fantastically good job. However, in October, after we’d played Prog Power Europe I was giving him a lift home to Oxford and he said to me “what sort of singer do you think would replace me?”, I didn’t really pay much attention and he gave me a few names and we left it at that and I said good night.

A couple of weeks later he turned up when I was working on something in the studio and said that he’d decided to leave the band and it was then that I realised that I’d missed that, I’d missed him telling me that he was leaving the band completely! He gave me names of these people that he thought might replace him and I never want to be in the position of chasing people to be in the band. As I’ve said, I feel privileged to be able to play music to the people who want to listen to it and I wouldn’t want to put him in a position where we’re chasing him.

Threshold is something that’s special to me and if he’d come to the point where he felt he’d got other things to do or you don’t want to be in the band then that’s great, he’s done a brilliant job and we’ll move on. When I spoke to Richard later, I said to him that Damian had decided he was moving on and I don’t really want to take on one of these people he’s suggested, what do you think if we ask Glynn again?

I know he wanted to rejoin the last time Damian had come back. He’d found out afterwards that Mac had left and he was interested but it was too late then. In 2008/2009 we did some work with him on our ‘Paradox’ singles boxset on a couple of the tracks and it was great. I’d always loved Glynn’s voice and the three singers we’ve had are the singers I’ve wanted so if Damian leaves and, unfortunately, Mac is no longer available, it would be brilliant if Glynn came back.

Richard had been in contact with him not long before that and when we spoke to him he was over the moon and, as he said in his statement, he really wanted to get involved again. I thought that his enthusiasm was something you just can’t turn down. As the story goes, Damian changed his mind a few weeks later and wanted to come back to the band. I never really got a satisfactory answer as to why he wanted to leave or come back, he rang Richard this time and said he wanted to come back.

He actually did come back to start recording the new album but he didn’t finish it and we didn’t have any dates from him to come back. We did a show in Switzerland and the atmosphere in the band was just different, we knew he’d wanted to go and then he sort of came back but didn’t want to do certain dates that we’d tried to book to finish the album, he wasn’t available for those. It just seemed like we were in competition with something else  and I said to Richard we would have to find someone who wanted to do what the four of us wanted to do, the rest of the band.

We want to do things, we don’t want to be inactive, we’re not that young that we can be sitting around for years doing nothing. We told Damian we’d have to move on and I don’t know if he wanted to leave or not or whether he didn’t like the idea of looking bad on social media. I’m not sure whether he really wanted to come back or not, I don’t know what it was but it wasn’t really a good fit once he’d decided he wanted to leave and we just thought that, even though we don’t want to fall out with Damian we need to move on.

He still wants to meet up and chat again, we’re not on bad terms. I don’t know if he was expecting it or not but we said, in the light of what had happened, we’re going to move on and we’re going to find someone who wants to be in the band all the time and it worked out, it fits Glynn perfectly, with the extra power he has, on this new album and it works well.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #352 on: September 29, 2017, 01:23:48 PM »
Nice to finally hear what happened, and hear that there is (apparently) no ill-will on either side.  Very professionally said by Karl.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #353 on: September 29, 2017, 01:25:43 PM »
Quite interesting read, thank You for the link! Seems like a complicated story down here... Well, I like more Gleen's voice than Damian to be honest so I'm happy with Gleen signing on a new record. My least favourite Threshold voice is Mac, but I think that he also did a great job. I  don't like his voice on Clone, but after that it was only better and better ;)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #354 on: September 29, 2017, 01:37:56 PM »
That explanation was great, but lacked some quality marriage analogies.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #355 on: September 29, 2017, 02:10:38 PM »
Damian is one of my favorite vocalists but I just find him maddening. He doesn't seem to have the attention span to front a band. Just look at his Threshold history. I know he is still in Headspace but they seem to move at a glacial pace.

Mac's voice was never for me. I tried a few of his albums and his vocals just took me out of it. I have never heard Glynn's. I've been sort of avoiding checking out the new album because I was so pissed that Damian was gone again. This update makes me feel a little better, but not much.

I may check out some samples now. These guys write great songs so what can it hurt.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 05:12:33 PM by ProfessorPeart »
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #356 on: September 29, 2017, 04:49:51 PM »
From a little while back, but here's Damnien's side:

https://teamrock.com/news/2017-03-29/damian-wilson-talks-unexpected-threshold-departure

Former Threshold vocalist Damian Wilson has spoken to exclusively to Prog about his sudden and “unexpected” departure from the band.

Wilson’s former colleagues released a statement earlier this week saying they wanted to “start a new chapter without him” and had brought back frontman Glynn Morgan.

Wilson then issued his own statement saying the move had not been a “mutual decision.”

Now he’s spoken exclusively with Prog about the situation and shed some light on what’s been going on in the background recently.

Wilson says: “This was really unexpected. The only contact I've had with Threshold these last few months has been via email – despite my request for a meeting on hearing their intention to proceed without me.

“I don't believe there has been a situation as such, but my wish to be involved as an equal in the band has caused some friction over the last decade.

“They don't seem to think a change of vocalist is a problem. I think Threshold see the band as Richard West and Karl Groom – I saw it as a band.”

He adds that it would have “been better for everyone” if Threshold had made their decision prior to announcing a European tour – which they did just a week before parting ways with Wilson.

But Wilson adds: “Saying that, I'm excited to hear Glynn Morgan sing the album. He will sound great – Richard will make sure of that. He has a gravel I don't have in my voice.”

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #357 on: September 29, 2017, 08:22:51 PM »

<snip>

But Wilson adds: “Saying that, I'm excited to hear Glynn Morgan sing the album. He will sound great – Richard will make sure of that. He has a gravel I don't have in my voice.”

And this is exactly why I much prefer Mac's and Glynn's voices over Damian's.  Threshold's music just has that crunch that needs a little grit in the singer's tone, and Damian just didn't fit with it much to me at all. 

Offline Lethean

« Reply #358 on: September 29, 2017, 09:40:25 PM »
That interview with Karl was a good read.  Very happy to hear how much he likes Subsurface, because that one is possibly my favorite Threshold album, with Hypothetical sometimes vying for that spot.  I think Subsurface is a bit of a grower, but when it does... :)

I find it a bit distressing to read comments putting Mac last on the list of vocalists.  I shouldn't - we all have different opinions - and yet, I do, just a little. :)  I will say that I'd be curious if anyone's opinion changes with time.  When I first started getting into Threshold, I wasn't blown away by any of the singers but really just liked their songs.  I came to appreciate all 3, but Mac really stood out over time, even though he doesn't have the biggest range or anything like that.  For me, I really find his vocals to have the most emotional delivery, but I only felt that way after I'd be listening to Threshold for a while.

Now onto another change with Legends of the Shires.  I've only listened to it twice, and feel like I'm still going to have to listen more to decide how much I like it.  I think Glynn sounds good overall, though there's a song or two that I think would clearly have been better with Damian.  Maybe I'll feel that less as I listen more.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #359 on: September 30, 2017, 09:14:39 AM »
For fans that are familiar with all of the albums, could you come up with your best of Threshold.  I was going to buy the Threshold singles cd on iTunes, but would rather pick and choose to come up with a best of based on fans of the band.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #360 on: September 30, 2017, 09:21:12 AM »
For fans that are familiar with all of the albums, could you come up with your best of Threshold.  I was going to buy the Threshold singles cd on iTunes, but would rather pick and choose to come up with a best of based on fans of the band.

For me, Hypothetical and march of progress are basically best of's in their own right, since they are such solid albums. That's a good intro into the band, that won't break the bank and at the same time will give you a taste of both Damian and Mac.   Damien sings on march of progress and Mac sings on Hypothetical.

And if you want a fantastic Glenn album, then I suggest the new album (legends of the shires)

I tried thinking of a best of, but the list got too long.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 09:28:48 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #361 on: September 30, 2017, 10:34:28 AM »
I'd agree with that, those are probably my favourite two.

Then the new one and Subsurface a little below that.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #362 on: September 30, 2017, 11:39:48 AM »

For me, Hypothetical and march of progress are basically best of's in their own right, since they are such solid albums. That's a good intro into the band, that won't break the bank and at the same time will give you a taste of both Damian and Mac.   Damien sings on march of progress and Mac sings on Hypothetical.

And if you want a fantastic Glenn album, then I suggest the new album (legends of the shires)

I tried thinking of a best of, but the list got too long.

This is good advice.

But, it's Glynn... not Glenn.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lethean

« Reply #363 on: September 30, 2017, 12:13:41 PM »

This is really hard for me because I think Threshold are *great* song writers.  It's difficult just pick just a few tracks. 

I'll do 2 tracks from each album based on my mood right now; and I'll put a "single" from the album too.  An asterisk for long songs in case you aren't in the mood to check out a 10+ minute track. :)

Wounded Land:
Paradox
Surface to Air*
Sanity's End*

Psychedelicatessen:
Innocent
Into the Light*
Devoted

Extinct Instinct:
Clear
Somatography
Part of the Chaos

Clone:
Freaks
Life's Too Good
Voyager II

Hypothetical:
Light and Space
The Ravages of Time*
Oceanbound

Critical Mass:
Phenomenon
Echoes of Life
Critical Mass*

Subsurface:
Opium
Pressure
The Destruction of Words

Dead Reckoning:
This is Your Life
Fighting for Breath
Safe to Fly

March of Progress:
Staring at the Sun
Don't Look Down
Liberty, Complacency, Dependency

For the Journey:
Watchtower on the Moon
Autumn Red
The Box*

Offline JLa

« Reply #364 on: September 30, 2017, 02:54:25 PM »
I've always found Threshold to be a bit "same-y", all their records seem to have this common "feel" to it. But anyway, I just started listening to this new one on Friday, and while I still think it's very similar to their other albums, this one has some stunning melodies! Really great stuff, I can't stop listening!

Favourites so far include Small Dark Lines, The man who saw through time, and Stars and Satellites.

I didn't expect this, for sure. Thumbs up Threshold!

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #365 on: September 30, 2017, 08:20:04 PM »

As others have mentioned, this is somewhat difficult to do since they have so much great material that the list will be long, but if I had my choices (top 2-4 from each album), they would be:

Wounded Land - Paradox, Sanity’s End
Psychedeicastessen - Sunseeker, Innocent
Extinct Instinct - Clear, Life Flow (live acoustic version from Critical Energy)
Clone - Freaks, Angels, Goodbye Mother Earth
Hypothetical - Light and Space, Oceanbound, Long Way Home, Sheltering Sky
Critical Mass - Phenomenon, Echoes of Life, Falling Away
Subsurface - Mission Profile, The Art of Reason, Pressure
Dead Reckoning - Slipstream, Pilot in the Sky of Dreams, Fighting for Breath
March of Progress - Ashes, The Hours, Rubicon
For the Journey - Watchtower on the Moon, Turned to Dust, Autumn Red
Legends of the Shires - Small Dark Lines, Stars and Satellites, Trust the Process

For starters. ;)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #366 on: October 01, 2017, 03:15:40 AM »
Wow, my choices would be so different to those suggested already. This is exactly why it's better to listen to whole albums rather than individual song recommendations - everyone has such different tastes.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #367 on: October 01, 2017, 03:50:22 AM »
Wow, my choices would be so different to those suggested already. This is exactly why it's better to listen to whole albums rather than individual song recommendations - everyone has such different tastes.
Yeah, that's what I do if I want to get into some new bands, of course it takes a lot of time, but - it's worth of it ;) and my choices would also be different from those mentioned... Try to listen to whole albums, pick a three of them, every one with other vocalist -Damien, Glynn and Mat,  it's the another way to get into Threshold.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #368 on: October 23, 2017, 09:21:16 PM »
Damian is one of my favorite vocalists but I just find him maddening. He doesn't seem to have the attention span to front a band. Just look at his Threshold history. I know he is still in Headspace but they seem to move at a glacial pace.

Mac's voice was never for me. I tried a few of his albums and his vocals just took me out of it. I have never heard Glynn's. I've been sort of avoiding checking out the new album because I was so pissed that Damian was gone again. This update makes me feel a little better, but not much.

I may check out some samples now. These guys write great songs so what can it hurt.

So I ended my embargo on the Glynn material and picked up both Psychedelicatessen and Legends Of The Shires. Glynn is a fantastic singer and I wish they had gone back to him after Damian's second departure instead of Mac.

Both albums are excellent. Right now, I am leaning a little more towards Psychedelicatessen for it's heaviness. I have just been in a heavy mood the last year or so. Either way, both were great pickups.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #369 on: November 16, 2017, 01:47:33 PM »
Wow, Threshold is headlining ROSFest in Pennsylvania in May 2018.  And it's the Saturday date.  I might have to head over to attend my first ROSFest.  Can't miss Threshold!
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #370 on: November 16, 2017, 03:32:39 PM »
Speaking of live Threshold, here goes the First concert with Glynn (since a long time ago)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wovTVW7n60

Sounds good to me. I may attempt to see that gettysburg show
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 03:50:48 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #371 on: November 16, 2017, 03:58:54 PM »
Wow, Threshold is headlining ROSFest in Pennsylvania in May 2018.  And it's the Saturday date.  I might have to head over to attend my first ROSFest.  Can't miss Threshold!

I'm with you. Thinking about going just for Threshold

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #372 on: November 16, 2017, 04:38:30 PM »

I'm with you. Thinking about going just for Threshold

Me too. It was a great time last year, and Hreshold would make it all worthwhile.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #373 on: November 17, 2017, 10:27:51 AM »
Does any one know if ROSFest sells single-day tickets?  Their website is saying sales start in February, but it doesn't saying anything about single days.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #374 on: November 17, 2017, 01:49:22 PM »
Speaking of live Threshold, here goes the First concert with Glynn (since a long time ago)

Thanks for sharing - but what happened to Glynn playing guitar, now that Pete is gone and they never replaced him? They seem to be lacking without that second guitar.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #375 on: November 17, 2017, 03:01:43 PM »

Thanks for sharing - but what happened to Glynn playing guitar, now that Pete is gone and they never replaced him? They seem to be lacking without that second guitar.

I agree. And I was actually pretty surprised he only played guitar here and there through out the set. I thought he was going to be the full 2nd guitarist.  :-\

Offline Lethean

« Reply #376 on: May 10, 2018, 10:09:02 AM »
I saw Threshold at Rosfest and didn't really mind so much that there was only one guitar player for most of the songs.  I guess it would probably be better if they did just get a full time touring guitarist, but I didn't really care during the show.  They put on a killer show and Glynn Morgan sounded terrific.  I think Damian Wilson is a fantastic singer and he did a really good job with the Mac songs, but they just didn't sound quite right with his voice.  Glynn is a better fit for those songs.  And of course he sounded just right for the Legends of the Shires and Psychedelicatessen material.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #377 on: May 10, 2018, 10:13:43 AM »
I saw Threshold at Rosfest and didn't really mind so much that there was only one guitar player for most of the songs.  I guess it would probably be better if they did just get a full time touring guitarist, but I didn't really care during the show.  They put on a killer show and Glynn Morgan sounded terrific.  I think Damian Wilson is a fantastic singer and he did a really good job with the Mac songs, but they just didn't sound quite right with his voice.  Glynn is a better fit for those songs.  And of course he sounded just right for the Legends of the Shires and Psychedelicatessen material.

I was at RoSfest as well and can certainly say I was really impressed with Glynn. I was really looking forward to them and loved the show in general, but the way he handled all the material was phenomenal.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Lethean

« Reply #378 on: May 10, 2018, 10:47:50 AM »
Can anyone tell me who writes the lyrics, particularly for the Mac-era albums like Hypothetical and Critical Mass? I've been really sinking my teeth into those two albums the past few months and the lyrics are just outstanding. It doesn't say in the booklets.

Was just going through the older posts in this thread.  If you're still interested, Richard West and Jon Jeary wrote the lyrics for those two albums, and Mac had lyrics on a bonus track.

Critical Mass:
Richard: Phenomenon, Falling Away, Echoes of Life, Avalon
Jon: Choices, Fragmentation, Round and Round, and Critical Mass; also the bonus track New Beginning
Do Unto Them: Mac

Hypothetical:
Richard: Light and Space, Sheltering Sky, Oceanbound, Long Way Home, and Keep My Head
Jon: Turn On, Tune In, The Ravages of Time, Narcissus

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #379 on: May 10, 2018, 10:49:13 AM »
I saw some vids of Threshold at that fest and Glynn sounded amazing particularly on the Mac songs like Slipstream. I really hope they tour the USA someday... I feel like I'll never get to see them live.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #380 on: May 10, 2018, 10:49:43 AM »
Do you guys know if they'll play the whole new album at the Night Of The Prog? Or will they play other songs as well?
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Lethean

« Reply #381 on: May 10, 2018, 10:51:01 AM »
I've been revisiting Critical Mass the past week or so and I gotta say that title track is one of the best songs I've ever heard.  The ending especially is just breathtaking.  I can't believe no one's posted that song on YouTube.  Sometimes I like listening to some music at work, and YouTube is most convenient for me.  Anyway, just wanted to say that song is pure magic.  One of those songs I never get tired of.

Also, *this*.  Glad someone else feels this way about this song.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #382 on: May 10, 2018, 10:52:33 AM »
Do you guys know if they'll play the whole new album at the Night Of The Prog? Or will they play other songs as well?

I don't know 100%, but I think they'll do other songs and are saving the whole album for their own tour.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #383 on: May 10, 2018, 10:55:27 AM »

I was at RoSfest as well and can certainly say I was really impressed with Glynn. I was really looking forward to them and loved the show in general, but the way he handled all the material was phenomenal.

Yes, yes it was. I did think Glynn had his hands full on Innocent playing guitar and singing that song at the same time, but he did a great job.  He brought some of the high notes down at the end, but it sounded good and I imagine it's hard to sing that one the same way he did in 1994.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #384 on: May 10, 2018, 11:29:26 AM »

I don't know 100%, but I think they'll do other songs and are saving the whole album for their own tour.

I was hoping it would be this way. I bet, their new one is great, but I don't know it so well yet. Also, maybe it's better for a festival if they play their classics, because 1. they dont have so much time like at their own concerts (and Legend is super long) and 2. people wanna hear Mission Profile and Light & Space goddamnit
any rock can be made to roll