Author Topic: The Threshold Thread v. Divided Lines  (Read 62129 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: The Threshold Thread v. For the Journey (merged)
« Reply #280 on: July 14, 2017, 03:00:04 PM »
The song was kind of a chore to get through.

My thoughts exactly. Don't make a 10 min song if its just going to meander around. At the 5 min mark I was checking the time. At the 7 min mark I was ready to turn it off. A very Meh song with a decent intro.

Besides that, Glynn sound like glynn. Which is fine I guess. I will definitely check out the rest of the album though. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #281 on: July 14, 2017, 05:30:01 PM »
That song was typical Threshold but didn't really hold my interest.  I'm more confused too, can so hear Damian singing this.  It's written for him.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #282 on: July 14, 2017, 05:54:06 PM »
Came here to post the link. I like it. Singer is very good.  I was never a huge fan of Damien.

Fix'd for me.

I'd take Damien over Robert Plant... 😀🖕

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #283 on: July 14, 2017, 05:55:37 PM »
That song was typical Threshold but didn't really hold my interest.  I'm more confused too, can so hear Damian singing this.  It's written for him.

Yeah, the vocal melodies scream DW to me. I think they even already recorded it with Damian prior to the split. Initially upon the news of the break I thought it was because the band felt a rock type of voice fit their future artistic direction better (pure speculation from me, offcourse), but this doesn't align with that thought at all.

Upon listening to it one more time, I am not sure if this guy has the full range of emotions to captivate me for a double disc concept album to be honest. Glad for those who love this song/voice though.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #284 on: July 14, 2017, 07:21:58 PM »

Yeah, the vocal melodies scream DW to me. I think they even already recorded it with Damian prior to the split. Initially upon the news of the break I thought it was because the band felt a rock type of voice fit their future artistic direction better (pure speculation from me, offcourse), but this doesn't align with that thought at all.

Upon listening to it one more time, I am not sure if this guy has the full range of emotions to captivate me for a double disc concept album to be honest. Glad for those who love this song/voice though.

All of this.

I like Glynns voice and everything, but it always felt a little limited to me. I also don't know if he can pull off this double concept album. And I totally heard Damian singing in my imagination the whole time.

I wish I could pay extra for like a bonus disk with Damian on it.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #285 on: July 15, 2017, 01:30:04 AM »
Just found out by complete accident that Damian Wilson is out. Around the Critical Mass album I was quite a big fan of them and of Mac, then over the years I've lost interest.

It's weird however that out of all the possible choices, they go back to a previous singer... seems something that happens more than once in their history!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #286 on: July 15, 2017, 04:19:19 AM »
Basically, I really do like all 3 singers, just as long as there's strong songwriting behind them.

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #287 on: July 15, 2017, 06:09:56 AM »
A very Meh song with a decent intro.

That decent intro happens to back the chorus as well. The bloated instrumental mid-section brings the song down a bit, but the rest is pretty good.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #288 on: July 15, 2017, 06:47:15 AM »

Nailed it.  This will be the first non-automatic Threshold buy for me since I got into them.  I'll sample first, then decide.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #289 on: July 15, 2017, 10:07:14 AM »
Randomly checked out this thread.  I'm not a Threshold fan so I don't know anything about various singers and whatnot.  But I checked out the new song and really thought it was great.  I made a note to myself to check out the album when it comes out.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #290 on: July 17, 2017, 01:29:01 PM »
That song was meh for me. I didn't love their last album and this doesn't get my hopes up.

Offline T-ski

Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #292 on: August 16, 2017, 12:16:15 PM »
Melodic and catchy.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #293 on: August 16, 2017, 12:29:30 PM »
Meh. It felt kind of strait forward.

Video was a little weird.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #294 on: August 16, 2017, 12:39:41 PM »
Love the new song!  Love the video for it!  And I LOVE Glenn's voice.  Nothing against Damian, but this is the voice I need in Threshold.  I'm pumped!  :metal
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 02:45:18 PM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #295 on: August 16, 2017, 02:04:47 PM »
Yeah killer song, got me really hyped for the new album, the first song was okay, but this one is a lot better  :metal

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #296 on: August 16, 2017, 07:38:58 PM »
I like it, definitely suits his voice well overall, unlike that previous song. I remain by my first impression that the singer has a bit of a generic rock voice, but sometimes that is just want to hear, since I like straightforward rock as well.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #297 on: August 16, 2017, 07:52:56 PM »
Love the new song!  Love the video for it!  And I LOVE Glenn's voice.  Nothing against Damian, but this is the voice I need in Threshold.  I'm pumped!  :metal

I really like it too - but I grew up with Psychedelicatessen as my main Threshold album and liked the more heavy approach.  So along with Damian he is THE voice of Threshold for me.

Not to be pedantic but it's Glynn  ;)
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #298 on: August 17, 2017, 02:51:42 AM »
Great song and terrific video!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #299 on: August 17, 2017, 03:00:08 AM »

I really like it too - but I grew up with Psychedelicatessen as my main Threshold album and liked the more heavy approach.  So along with Damian he is THE voice of Threshold for me.

Not to be pedantic but it's Glynn  ;)

I really liked that. I don't listen to them often but they are always quality. Looking forward to this one. I like this singer better than DW.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #300 on: August 17, 2017, 04:51:36 AM »
Lost in Translation sounded like it was clearly written with Damian's voice in mind.  This still has a clear Threshold sound, but sounds much more suited to Glynn's voice.  Very much looking forward to this.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #301 on: August 17, 2017, 07:29:22 AM »
This song was definitely better.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #302 on: August 21, 2017, 05:09:29 AM »
That song was much better than the first, but it just sounds like Damian should be singing this.

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #303 on: August 22, 2017, 07:16:13 AM »
That song was much better than the first, but it just sounds like Damian should be singing this.

I didn't think about it before you mentioned this, but imagining Mac's singing over this song sounds amazing in my mind. Shame we will never hear his voice again...

As far as Damian goes, I'm actually glad to have Glynn back in the band. Damian does have a great singing voice, don't get me wrong, but his timbre has never spoken to me. Plus, with the character of his voice, the music takes on a totally different character. I'm not a huge fan of the first two Damian albums, and the last two are great, but it's more on the improved strength of the songwriting than anything else. Glynn and Mac's voice allow the band to write more in the riff-driven vein, and that's the Threshold I love. Psychedelicastessen was a big step up from Wounded Land for me, and I'm looking forward to hearing what they're doing with this album. It'll be interesting to hear a likely mix of styles, given the switch in vocals mid-production...

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #305 on: August 30, 2017, 05:00:08 PM »
Not sure why, but I always felt with Damien's singing, that he was patronising me.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #306 on: August 30, 2017, 05:18:41 PM »
Not sure why, but I always felt with Damien's singing, that he was patronising me.

I'm pretty sure that if you look up "irony" in the dictionary, it says "Spelling patronizing with an S"   :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #307 on: September 08, 2017, 06:17:44 AM »
New song;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMbnECa3CJ4

Something a little different which is a pleasant surprise, not bad at all.

Online me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #308 on: September 08, 2017, 06:20:08 AM »
Isn't the album out today?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #309 on: September 08, 2017, 06:26:39 AM »

No idea mate.

EDIT: Yeah mate, you're right.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #310 on: September 08, 2017, 07:43:31 AM »

Yeah, it just released.

After my first listen, its not really doing anything for me. oh well

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #311 on: September 08, 2017, 07:56:26 AM »
Read a couple of reviews and they sound positive.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #312 on: September 08, 2017, 12:45:15 PM »
It's on Spotify. Very good on first listen but too much to take in on one listen.

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #313 on: September 08, 2017, 03:04:36 PM »
I have to listen to it. I just started my Threshold adventure with Wounded Land yesterday and I must that I was stunned! Great, almost perfect vocals out there by Damian, perfect voice. Threshold isn't so popular in Poland, I know few people who knows the name Threshold but though, never listened them. Psychedelicatessen tomorrow then  :metal 

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #314 on: September 09, 2017, 12:22:36 PM »
Bought this yesterday based on liking "Lost in Translation" and "Small Dark Lines".  Excellent album, very glad I picked it up.  So many great songs, need to listen more before I know which are the strongest.  So far though I don't think I felt any songs were weak.  Hard to make it through the album because I just keep wanting to play every song over again because I'm enjoying them so much.