Author Topic: A Thread for Travelers v. What is the best hike in the world?  (Read 1532 times)

Offline senecadawg2

I wasn't able to find a thread dedicated solely to traveling, so here it is. I now summon YOU, fellow DTF travelers. Share your experiences, and if your feeling generous, help me out.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2022, 02:15:58 PM by senecadawg2 »
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline GuineaPig

Re: A Thread for Travelers v. What is the best hike in the world?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 05:14:39 PM »
You want to try the West Coast Trail.  Beautiful, economical.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 05:15:46 PM »
Well, if you like nature and camping then I really recommend the Argentinian south. Here are a couple of pics from some trips I did a couple of years ago.

When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 05:34:18 PM »
Wow Nekov, those pictures look brilliant. Did you fly into Buenos Aires?

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 05:44:55 PM »
You want to try the West Coast Trail.  Beautiful, economical.

Everything I've read and seen about the West Coast Trail looks wonderful, and it is definitely cheaper than most other options.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 06:03:11 PM »

I live in Buenos Aires  :biggrin: Buenos Aires is in the middle east of Argentina, this pictures are from south west Argentina.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 06:36:22 PM »
I'm partial to Glacier National Park in Montana myself. Done lots of hiking there, but never backpacked and stayed out on the trails though. My dad did back when he was in college and loved it.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 08:19:23 PM »
Having traveled to 30 countries at this point, I can without hesitation say that New Zealand is the most amazing one:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/NfXuyZPucoaRMz4zlx16mNMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/KGFjCpnbZLz66hvixB5lpNMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/2ko2SKXv5j3R3rk9RSrT9dMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

Mind though, you don't want to go without adquate funds. AUS and NZ are expensive places, and you want to plan at least a month in the area.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 09:38:30 PM »
I spent a couple of days in a little town called Kandersteg that was just spectacular.  It's about 25 klicks South of Interlaken in Switzerland, and nestled in a crook between three mountains, with a spectacular blue lake sitting on a plateau about 1500' above the town.  Hiking up to the lake is only a day trip, but there are plenty of longer hikes along the Alps.  It's close to Interlaken, which seems to be a Mecca for backpackers. 

Other good thing about it is that it's a spectacular train ride from the Italian side of the Alps and Lake Como.  If I were going to spend a couple of weeks backpacking around beautiful country, Northern Italy into Switzerland would be a damn fine choice. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 09:56:05 PM »

I live in Buenos Aires  :biggrin: Buenos Aires is in the middle east of Argentina, this pictures are from south west Argentina.

I learn something new every day!  ;D  Argentina certainly looks spectacular.

I'm partial to Glacier National Park in Montana myself. Done lots of hiking there, but never backpacked and stayed out on the trails though. My dad did back when he was in college and loved it.

I was just talking to my uncle about Glacier National Park, and it sounds like a very good area to backpack. If I was to stay within the US, this would probably be my top choice.

Having traveled to 30 countries at this point, I can without hesitation say that New Zealand is the most amazing one:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/NfXuyZPucoaRMz4zlx16mNMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/KGFjCpnbZLz66hvixB5lpNMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/2ko2SKXv5j3R3rk9RSrT9dMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

Mind though, you don't want to go without adquate funds. AUS and NZ are expensive places, and you want to plan at least a month in the area.

rumborak

Your pictures look gorgeous. Just out of curiosity, how much did you spend on your trip to New Zealand?

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 09:11:18 AM »
My favorite hike ever is still McCullough Gulch just outside of Breckenridge, CO

You'll hike in surroundings like this

Although, now that I think about it, Glenn Canyon's Hanging Lake is pretty cool too.  At the end you're rewarded with views like this:

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 09:14:47 AM »
Wow, those are really nice pics. I've been out to Colorado a couple of times, but not visited McCullough Gulch. Still, beautiful scenery and awesome skiing!

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 09:32:40 AM »
+1 to NZ. I went around the Victoria Sands (or whatever it's called) there long ago, and it was really amazing.

Also: Mt. Emei in china.

This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 11:55:52 AM »
Wow, those are really nice pics. I've been out to Colorado a couple of times, but not visited McCullough Gulch. Still, beautiful scenery and awesome skiing!

Most people who know the Rocky Mountains will tell you that McCullough Gulch is among the most scenic hikes in the entire state.  It's not too difficult either, even for beginners, although I'd advise that you be in fairly decent shape to attempt it.  You'll begin the hike at about 11,000 feet and hike up a 1.4 mile trail to the summit at 11,900 feet.  Here's some info on it, in case you ever head out that way again.  HIGHLY recommended. 

If you want to see all of the pictures I took while there, here's a link to photos from our entire 2010 Colorado trip - McCullough Gulch was saved for the end, since it's one of the more challenging hikes we typically do. 

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2012, 06:26:19 PM »
Some of my favorite US places include Yellowstone, Joshua Tree, Yosemite, Arches, and Olympic.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2012, 06:32:58 PM »
The Diamond Head Hike in Honolulu was quite something, just did it a few days ago! It's not an insanely hard hike but the few is amazing once you get to the top!

May The Force Be With You.

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2012, 06:49:43 PM »
There're some great hikes in Great Smoky mountains national park on the TN/NC border, but I'm guessing you've been there already. Cheap trip if you're looking to go.
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2012, 09:25:54 PM »
There're some great hikes in Great Smoky mountains national park on the TN/NC border, but I'm guessing you've been there already. Cheap trip if you're looking to go.

Ah yes... I just came back from that area a couple days ago, after camping in Mount Mitchell, Pisgah, etc.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2012, 10:21:55 AM »
My absolutely favourite hike is the trail from Landmannalaugar to Skogar, over the Eyjafjallajökull in Icedland, though the Iceline Trail in Canada is pretty fucking awesome as well.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!