Author Topic: Consecutive Albums With a Huge Leap in Quality  (Read 6249 times)

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Re: Consecutive Albums With a Huge Leap in Quality
« Reply #105 on: September 13, 2022, 03:16:48 PM »
Not sure if mentioned but;

Machine Head - Through the Ashes of Empires --> The Blackening.

Also, Catharsis --> Of Kingdom and Crown
Machine Head - Supercharger --> Through The Ashes Of Empires

I don't know if I'm in the minority here.  But, I love Through The Ashes Of Empires.  "Imperium" is the perfect album opener for an album that I felt was really a return to form for MH.  I know many people praise The Blackening as one of the best metal albums of the last 20 years.  And, I don't dislike it by any means.  However, I definitely prefer TTAOE to it.

I agree with almost everything you've said about TTAOE (and I actually listened to it this morning). Imperium is an incredible opener and one of my all time favourite MH songs. The Blackening is on another level for me though. I've often said it is the greatest metal album of the 00s. I still stand by that. It is a 10/10, start to finish, ambitious behemoth of an album. It completely floored me when it came out.

TTAOE is no slouch, it's just the album that followed it was perfect in every way.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 03:31:20 PM by twosuitsluke »

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #106 on: September 13, 2022, 04:07:24 PM »
The Blackening is on another level for me though. I've often said it is the greatest metal album of the 00s. I still stand by that.

Cool, I was worried people had soured on that album over time, especially with MH's subpar output in recent years and some of Rob's antics.  Best metal of the 00s is a strong statement given the competition, but it's probably in my top 20. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #107 on: July 19, 2023, 01:33:39 PM »
I am generally not a fan of that 90s alt rock sound (I think it's the aesthetics), so I don't give much of it a chance at ever make my "late to the party" list.

Roughly 10 months later, I stand somewhat corrected.

Throwing Copper by Live is my next album review I am doing offline with a friend (his recommendation), so I have been listening to it for the last 3-4 days.  Not bad at all, actually.  I am still not overly wild about the aesthetics, and I find I enjoy it a lot more when listening to a few songs at a time rather than all at once, but I get the appeal.  Iris, Pillar of Davidson and White, Discussion are all songs I like quite a bit now.

Note: I don't intend to check out any other Live albums any time soon, so save any recommendations. :P

Offline HOF

« Reply #108 on: July 19, 2023, 01:42:03 PM »
I am generally not a fan of that 90s alt rock sound (I think it's the aesthetics), so I don't give much of it a chance at ever make my "late to the party" list.

Throwing Copper by Live is my next album review I am doing offline with a friend (his recommendation), so I have been listening to it for the last 3-4 days.  Not bad at all, actually.  I am still not overly wild about the aesthetics, and I find I enjoy it a lot more when listening to a few songs at a time rather than all at once, but I get the appeal.  Iris, Pillar of Davidson and White, Discussion are all songs I like quite a bit now.

Note: I don't intend to check out any other Live albums any time soon, so save any recommendations. :P

The album itself is a bit meh, but the drums and drum sound in particular on this record are amazing. I do like the radio hits well enough, and Iris is really good.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #109 on: July 19, 2023, 02:02:35 PM »

The album itself is a bit meh, but the drums and drum sound in particular on this record are amazing. I do like the radio hits well enough, and Iris is really good.

The follow up album, Secret Samadhi, sounds even better.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #110 on: July 19, 2023, 06:16:30 PM »
Dream Theater: WDADU -> IaW, SFAM -> SDOIT, BCSL -> ADTOE
Thrice: Vheissu -> The Alchemy Index
Cloudkicker: The Discovery -> Beacons
Devin Townsend Project: Deconstruction -> Ghost

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #112 on: July 19, 2023, 10:17:03 PM »
Deftones went from their debut Accelerate, a bottom 3 album of theirs, to the insane Around the Fur, a top 3 Deftones record.

SFAM -> SDOIT

:eek
I actually agree with James, I did revisit SFAM a year or two ago and couldn't finish it, it was just too overwhelming and long.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #113 on: July 20, 2023, 03:46:23 AM »
I'm assuming some of these might already have been mentioned:

Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - Nocturama/Abattoir Blues & The Lyre of Orpheus
Devin Townsend - Physicist/Terria
Deftones - Gore/Ohms
Swans - Holy Money/Children of God
Kayo Dot - Gamma Knife/Hubardo
Slint - Tweez/Spiderland
Megadeth - So Far So Good So What/Rust in Peace
The Dear Hunter - Migrant/Act IV
Blackfield - Blackfield IV/Blackfield V
Dream Theater - When Dream and Day Unite/Images and Words

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #114 on: July 20, 2023, 07:11:52 AM »
Deftones went from their debut Accelerate, a bottom 3 album of theirs, to the insane Around the Fur, a top 3 Deftones record.

SFAM -> SDOIT

I actually agree with James, I did revisit SFAM a year or two ago and couldn't finish it, it was just too overwhelming and long.

6DoIT is even longer and more overwhelming.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #115 on: July 20, 2023, 08:28:47 AM »

I want to like +Live+, but Ed K. is annoying AF.  He strikes me as a sort of Ed Vedder wanna be and not in a good way.  And it's hard to get past the "placenta falling to the floor". 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #116 on: July 20, 2023, 09:06:24 AM »

I want to like +Live+, but Ed K. is annoying AF.  He strikes me as a sort of Ed Vedder wanna be and not in a good way.  And it's hard to get past the "placenta falling to the floor".

There have actually been quite a few moments where the singer in Live reminds me a bit of Michael Stipe of R.E.M.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #117 on: July 20, 2023, 09:23:36 AM »
Bill, he is dynamite live.  I saw them a few times in the 90's.  Always impressed me how powerful his voice was. 
« Last Edit: July 20, 2023, 09:50:39 AM by Kinger »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline HOF

« Reply #118 on: July 20, 2023, 09:40:55 AM »

There have actually been quite a few moments where the singer in Live reminds me a bit of Michael Stipe of R.E.M.

I can see that.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: July 20, 2023, 10:20:38 AM »

Hmmm; I'll have to go back and re-listen because I hold Stipe in extremely high regard as a vocalist. 

Bill, he is dynamite live.  I saw them a few times in the 90's.  Always impressed me how powerful his voice was. 

I've heard that (maybe even from you).  He's played both solo and with +Live+ (I think) in a little theater I go to a lot but I've never caught him.  Supposedly he's back with +Live+ but there's drama and the rest of the band is out.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #120 on: July 20, 2023, 10:33:38 AM »

Hmmm; I'll have to go back and re-listen because I hold Stipe in extremely high regard as a vocalist. 

I can't think of which songs that made me think that, but there were a few where he would just hit a certain line or even a single word that would make me think he sounded a bit like Stipe.  It was pretty infrequent, so it's not like it will jump out at you.  And I mean the sound of his voice, not necessarily the quality (I also think Stipe was a very good singer, despite his unconventional voice).

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: July 20, 2023, 10:52:34 AM »

I've heard that (maybe even from you).  He's played both solo and with +Live+ (I think) in a little theater I go to a lot but I've never caught him.  Supposedly he's back with +Live+ but there's drama and the rest of the band is out.

No.  They wanted to make a new album and the guitarist had second thoughts.  Banks out and then there were legal battles.  So 3 of the 4 are original members still. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: July 20, 2023, 10:54:42 AM »

No.  They wanted to make a new album and the guitarist had second thoughts.  Banks out and then there were legal battles.  So 3 of the 4 are original members still.

OH!  I knew the guitar player was out; I didn't realize the other guys were not.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: July 20, 2023, 11:00:17 AM »

I can't think of which songs that made me think that, but there were a few where he would just hit a certain line or even a single word that would make me think he sounded a bit like Stipe.  It was pretty infrequent, so it's not like it will jump out at you.  And I mean the sound of his voice, not necessarily the quality (I also think Stipe was a very good singer, despite his unconventional voice).

Pillar Of Davidson, Kev?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: July 20, 2023, 11:02:41 AM »

OH!  I knew the guitar player was out; I didn't realize the other guys were not.

Bill, you are right!  I did not know after that he split for the other two guys.

n June 21, 2022, Kowalczyk announced that Chad Taylor had been fired from the band the day before.[27] Gracey tweeted: "For anyone interested...Ed is not the problem in this band...and it's not this Chad...and he doesn't play bass. We have among us a person that stirs and then, no pun intended, sells drama."[28]

In September 2022, Kowalczyk announced that he would be touring as Live without Dahlheimer or Gracey.[5] In a November 2022 interview with Rolling Stone magazine, former lead singer Chris Shinn confirmed that Dahlheimer and Gracey had been fired by Kowalczyk.[4] This leaves Kowalczyk as the only original member left in the band.[29]

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: July 20, 2023, 11:34:44 AM »

SFAM -> SDOIT

6DoIT is even longer and more overwhelming.
It is longer but it's way more creative and experimental, each song has a unique personality and plenty of atmosphere, the lyrics are more thoughtful (even if a little cringe here and there), and the core theme is empathy. It's the only DT album I revisit these days tbh.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #126 on: July 20, 2023, 05:06:50 PM »

Pillar Of Davidson, Kev?

One of the better songs, yes, but if you are asking if it is one that reminds me of Stipe, not sure (off the top of my head).

Online nick_z

« Reply #127 on: July 20, 2023, 05:14:32 PM »

Pillar Of Davidson, Kev?

One of the better songs, yes, but if you are asking if it is one that reminds me of Stipe, not sure (off the top of my head).

I mean, one of the moments that always jumped out was the chorus on Selling the Drama...? The heys...that could totally be Stipe singing  :)

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #128 on: July 20, 2023, 07:59:11 PM »
Rainbow: Rainbow -> Rising

Dream Theater: Falling into Infinity -> SFAM

Iron Maiden: Fear of the Dark -> X Factor,  Dance of Death -> A Matter of Life and Death. I think DOD is fine but AMOLAD is my personal favorite

Judas Priest: Angel of Retribution -> Nostradamus. I listened to AOR again recently and apart from a couple songs I've always found the album a bit unremarkable. Nostradamus may be a bit bloated and should have been edited down to one CD but it's a far more interesting album for me.

Fates Warning: Inside Out -> APSOG. Again Inside out is fine but it feels like Parallels 2. APSOG is my favorite album from them with theories of flight close behind.

Queensryche: Dedicated to Chaos -> Queensryche 2013. The low hanging fruit of my list. Condition human is even better but the self titled gave me hope lol.

The Warning: XXI Century Blood -> Queen of the Murder Scene. Ok maybe it's not fair to put the first album by kids/teenagers on here but I think it makes the massive leap in quality even more impressive and QOTMS is a no skip album for me.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #129 on: July 20, 2023, 08:01:08 PM »

Fates Warning: Inside Out -> APSOG. Again Inside out is fine but it feels like Parallels 2. APSOG is my favorite album from them with theories of flight close behind.

I'm taking Inside Out over APSOG all day long. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: July 20, 2023, 09:15:18 PM »

I'm taking Inside Out over APSOG all day long. ;D

Agree.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline 425

« Reply #131 on: July 20, 2023, 09:20:28 PM »
Iron Maiden: Fear of the Dark -> X Factor,  Dance of Death -> A Matter of Life and Death. I think DOD is fine but AMOLAD is my personal favorite

I enthusiastically endorse the first take. Their worst album versus one that I love.

The second is tougher… I agree that AMOLAD is a significant step up from DoD, but I also love DoD. Something like my #8 vs. my #3.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #132 on: July 21, 2023, 07:20:30 AM »
Trivium - The Crusade > Shogun

Anybody say that one yet? Can't think of any other case where the improvement is so massive.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: July 21, 2023, 07:23:35 AM »
The best example is and always will be:  From Genesis To Revelation ---> Trespass.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #134 on: July 21, 2023, 07:38:03 AM »
The best example is and always will be:  From Genesis To Revelation ---> Trespass.

yeah, that's almost universally felt. Trespass is to myself and many, 1 of their best 5 records.

FGTR..they were school kids doing psych pop of the era..vastly different.

Offline HOF

« Reply #135 on: July 21, 2023, 07:46:25 AM »

yeah, that's almost universally felt. Trespass is to myself and many, 1 of their best 5 records.

I’ve heard snippets but never even bothered to listen to all of FGTR. It’s more proto-Genesis. Like if you were a writer and someone published your HS essays. I don’t think it should really count!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #136 on: July 21, 2023, 08:06:57 AM »
Sigur Rós went from their quite awkward, experimental debut, to the absolutely gorgeous, masterful Ágætis byrjun.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #137 on: July 21, 2023, 08:15:15 AM »
Sigur Rós went from their quite awkward, experimental debut, to the absolutely gorgeous, masterful Ágætis byrjun.

I'd argue Ágætis byrjun -> () is another drastic leap in quality. I love that album and haven't been able to get into any of their other records nearly as much.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #138 on: July 21, 2023, 08:32:36 AM »

I’ve heard snippets but never even bothered to listen to all of FGTR. It’s more proto-Genesis. Like if you were a writer and someone published your HS essays. I don’t think it should really count!

I feel that way about Bend Sinister's debut album "The Warped Pane"..which I think was mostly done with the guys in or right after High School, and is all instrumental Jazz-Fusion. Then 3 years later they released "Through the Broken City" which has vocals and is totally different in sound (and membership for the most part I recall).

I consider Through the Broken City more or less their debut album, even though in name, it's not.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #139 on: July 21, 2023, 12:42:19 PM »

Pillar Of Davidson, Kev?

To follow up, yes, Pillars of Davidson is definitely one of them.  Cranked that when driving at lunch just a bit ago.  Even the background vocal of the chorus sounds like they borrowed Mike Mills.  It is uncanny.  Great song.