Author Topic: Where will DT be 50 years?  (Read 14532 times)

Offline Ħ

Where will DT be 50 years?
« on: July 09, 2012, 03:02:04 PM »
Will they be remembered? Will they still have fans? Will there a a sudden surge in prog rock in the mainstream that brings them attention as the founders of prog metal? What do you guys think?

I hope they stay remembered in spite of the fact that the rate of musicians getting their name out there is growing. DT's an important band in history and hopefully the fire never dies.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
Re: Where will DT be 50 years?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 03:13:50 PM »
It's hard to say, really, because the music industry is a very different thing from what it was 50 years ago. Not very many people are familiar with artists like Bing Crosby, The Andrews Sisters, etc. And those are some of the MORE popular artists of their era. But since the 1960's, the quality of sound has grown tremendously and music like The Beatles is still widely available and accessible today. But again, the most popular of their era. Still, there isn't MUCH further we could go in terms of providing better quality sound. So unless there's some new and revolutionary way to record sound in such a way that it'll sound even better to the human ear, like it burrows right into your brain, I doubt the quality of current music will ever be considered, "retro sounding" as far as how crisp and clear and deep it is.

Honestly, it doesn't matter to me. All I care about is my own blood line. When I have kids, I'll make sure they're listening to Dream Theater. The spirit will carry on.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 03:14:39 PM »
It will be funny when I'm 68 and pulling out a DT record. I'll be the cool Grandpa. I'll keep the memory alive.

If it works out well enough, JP and JM, JLB, MM, and MP could still be alive in 50 years, so it'd be interesting if they were still alive in 50 years, if they would at least still be known for their guitar, bass, drum, vocal prowess or still talk about it.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 03:25:41 PM by SystematicThought »
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 03:28:08 PM »
I think 500 years is a much better question. Will bands like Dream Theater be considered classical composers in a few hundred years? I'd like to think so.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 03:31:37 PM »
I think 500 years is a much better question. Will bands like Dream Theater be considered classical composers in a few hundred years? I'd like to think so.
:lol Don't get your hopes up!
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 03:34:53 PM »

It's almost worth spending 275$ for the M&G just to ask this question and see the look of astonishment on JP's face.  :lol
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 03:55:53 PM »
:lol Don't get your hopes up!

I think that's actually a more likely scenario than having them be popular in 50 years.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 04:18:03 PM »
I can't help but wonder though, how many bands have there been in the past forty-fifty years that had the same level of success as DT-some albums noticed by the mainstream, but mostly cruising along with a smallish but devoted audience-that people have already forgotten?

The answer is likely to depress me, to be honest.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 04:23:25 PM »
I can't help but wonder though, how many bands have there been in the past forty-fifty years that had the same level of success as DT-some albums noticed by the mainstream, but mostly cruising along with a smallish but devoted audience-that people have already forgotten?

The answer is likely to depress me, to be honest.

Yeah, it's kind of sad how few people know of Uriah Heep. I thought they were one of the best Prog Rock bands of their time. I like their music better than Deep Purple.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 04:33:05 PM »

Well let's wait to see how we view Mozart and Beethoven in 200 years first, then we'll see. :lol

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2012, 04:34:30 PM »
Well let's wait to see how we view Mozart and Beethoven in 200 years first, then we'll see. :lol

Yes, then we'll definitely know the answer... And won't be dead at all.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2012, 04:38:25 PM »
I just say that because how many composers do you know from 500 years ago?

Though records weren't kept as well then as they are now, but still.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2012, 04:45:26 PM »
I could name a few, but then again, I'm a musicology/music history student. I think the question is way too difficult to answer. Popular music has only been going on for about 150-180 years and only really took off in a massive state with recorded music (say 60-70 years ago when it really started). Dream Theater is a band that has only existed for a little over 20 years. To ask where they will be in 3 times the time they existed and roughly double the time since popular music really took off is not one we can answer right now, just like people couldn't answer how the year 2000 would look like in the fifties.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2012, 05:07:20 PM »
50 years from now, Images and Words will be 70 years old. Sad as it may be, most people now don't pay any attention to music from 1942. And even music from 1962 doesn't seem to be as popular as it was 10 or so years ago. I like "oldies" from the 50s and early 60s a lot even though they were from long before I was born, but their popularity seems to be waning as people who grew up with them pass away.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2012, 05:11:54 PM »
50 years from now, Images and Words will be 70 years old. Sad as it may be, most people now don't pay any attention to music from 1942. And even music from 1962 doesn't seem to be as popular as it was 10 or so years ago. I like "oldies" from the 50s and early 60s a lot even though they were from long before I was born, but their popularity seems to be waning as people who grew up with them pass away.

Yeah, but now it's different. I mean, the Beatles were the popular music of its time, the mainstream, and they'll always be remembered. But these days, mainstream music comes and goes. How many people do you know that still listen to stuff like Blink 182, or that remember, "The Real Slim Shady". In a few years, Poker Face will be a minor foot note in popular music, whereas, the small cult followings like us, who have been listening to Dream Theater for years, and STILL finding new things in Images and Words, we're the ones who are going to keep this music and pass it along.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2012, 05:21:09 PM »

Yeah, but now it's different. I mean, the Beatles were the popular music of its time, the mainstream, and they'll always be remembered. But these days, mainstream music comes and goes. How many people do you know that still listen to stuff like Blink 182, or that remember, "The Real Slim Shady". In a few years, Poker Face will be a minor foot note in popular music, whereas, the small cult followings like us, who have been listening to Dream Theater for years, and STILL finding new things in Images and Words, we're the ones who are going to keep this music and pass it along.

So you're saying that current mainstream stuff will be forgotten but niche stuff like DT will be remembered because its fans are more loyal? Sorry, but tons more people will remember Eminem than DT. Most people don't even know what prog rock is. I'm not saying DT will be completely forgotten or anything, but they're already relatively obscure. Prog fans do tend to be open to listening to music from all eras though, so that's one positive.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2012, 05:28:53 PM »
DT will be remembered by people who were fans of the band now, and maybe their children.  I don't expect much else, though.  It's not like DT's on the radio now, so why would it be notable in 50 years?

Offline darkshade

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2012, 06:13:35 PM »

Those were not good examples, as plenty of people still listen to and enjoy Eminem and blink-182. You may not like that music, but that's real music that real music fans enjoy. It's the teen-pop stuff that will be long forgotten, just like a lot of the pop from the 70s is no where to be found (whereas, classic rock (the 70s "version" of Eminem and blink-182) is still remembered). Much of the 80s pop will be soon forgotten as well, but it'll take longer as some 80s pop is good, just dated. Then again, much of the pop music around today could easily sound like it was from the 80s, just change the drum sound and you're good. Also, a TON of the mainstream hip-hop that is around today will definitely be forgotten over time.

Dream Theater are the kind of band where, in 20 years, will be just as popular as they are now, maybe more. The classic prog bands have all acknowledged how many young people enjoy their music, and how there has been a resurgence in their popularity in the last 10 years, (Yes, Genesis, Camel, etc), or the bands that were a little too out there for the 70s crowd, or too ahead of their time, now are appreciated by many people (Gentle Giant, King Crimson, Frank Zappa, etc). I wouldn't worry about people forgetting Dream Theater.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2012, 06:15:28 PM »
I can't imagine where the band will be in 50 years but I can tell you those of us fans who're still alive by then are gonna be envied for having seen DT live now ;D
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2012, 06:27:36 PM »
Where will DT be in 50 years?

On tour. Jordan will be, what? 106? And he'll be playing faster.

I mean, Dave Brubeck and Chuck Berry are still alive.... both in their 90s and 80s respectively.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2012, 06:30:53 PM »

So you're saying that current mainstream stuff will be forgotten but niche stuff like DT will be remembered because its fans are more loyal? Sorry, but tons more people will remember Eminem than DT. Most people don't even know what prog rock is. I'm not saying DT will be completely forgotten or anything, but they're already relatively obscure. Prog fans do tend to be open to listening to music from all eras though, so that's one positive.

Lost Not Forgotten, for sure.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2012, 02:46:08 AM »
I'd laugh so hard at the possibility of a bunch of old guys just sat in chairs, blasting Awake. That would be so damn good.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2012, 07:41:29 AM »
Or better yet, a bunch of old guys sitting around listening to the middle section of ANTR.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2012, 07:47:38 AM »
TDEN comes on and the entire sittingroom starts rocking out to that riff?
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2012, 08:22:13 AM »
Or a bunch of young hipsters in 2300 stating that Raw Dog was definitely Dream Theater at its best.  :lol
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 08:44:30 AM by wasteland »
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2012, 08:37:15 AM »
Damn those futipsters!

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2012, 08:39:41 AM »
In 50 years, DT will release their 25th record, entitled Another Dramatic Turn of Events

The subject matter will be pretty intense, dealing with the recent death of Mike Portnoy.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2012, 08:52:16 AM »
followed by a strategically planned posthumous press release by portnoy

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2012, 09:47:52 AM »
Or better yet, a bunch of old guys singing along to the middle section of ANTR.
FTFY.

Don't know about 50 years, but many 70s prog acts are still getting new fans and judging by that I'd like to think that DT are still remembered after at least 30 or 40 years.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2012, 11:47:37 AM »
Lost not forgotten...

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2012, 04:56:27 PM »
In 50 years, static will be the popular music, and DT will be the golden oldies and frowned upon for being boring grandpa music and not static brilliance.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2012, 04:58:09 PM »
Under the grave. SADLY.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2012, 05:44:56 PM »
Under the grave. SADLY.

Yes and unfortunately, The Rolling Stones will probably out live them too.

... Not that I want The Stones dead or anything. That's not what I meant at all.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2012, 07:52:21 PM »
Where will DT be in 50 years?

On tour. Jordan will be, what? 106? And he'll be playing faster.

« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2012, 07:54:22 PM »
Under the grave. SADLY.

I'm pretty sure that the context of the question mainly refers to their music.

But hey, that's a long time from now. Meanwhile, they'll live another day and climb a little higher.