Author Topic: KirksNoseHair's "One Man Band" Pop Tune Demos  (Read 1196 times)

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
KirksNoseHair's "One Man Band" Pop Tune Demos
« on: June 01, 2012, 08:11:34 AM »
Well, almost a one man band.  :P

These are two pop tunes I've had laying around -literally- for decades.  I wrote "Just a Man" in 1983 and recorded most of this stuff around 2003.  A few years later my friend Gary added some drums.  None of it is polished at all.  I'm on lead and rhythm guitars, bass guitar and lead and backing vocals (I suck at vocals, trust me, I already know this  :lol )   My goal when singing demos is to just be able to give a real singer an idea as to what I am looking for.  "I Can Take It" is my attempt to write a pop/rock song with a tiny bit of a country flavor to it. (this one just has midi drums)  Not sure if I pulled it off or not.  My wife really likes both of these tracks, but I doubt they'd ever make their way onto an album by The ANABASIS.....although I do have some plans to release some "solo" material at some point.

Anyway, without further delay, I give you, pop rock song demos:   https://soundcloud.com/kirksnosehair

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Re: KirksNoseHair's "One Man Band" Pop Tune Demos
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 01:30:00 PM »
I think Darius Rucker singing "I Can Take It" would work really well.  Kind of has a "Hootie" feel to it.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 01:51:46 PM »
Heh, you know my wife said the same thing.  That it reminded her of Hootie and the Blowfish.  I guess I should take that as a compliment.  Writing pop music (short songs) has always been a challenge for me, hence the 14 minute average song length on BFBG  :lol

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 06:05:21 PM »
Really well done. I like the melodies and production and think you're actually a great vocalist. The guitar harmonies are a nice touch. One minor criticism is that I Can Take It has some rhythmic issues.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 07:58:12 PM »
(I suck at vocals, trust me, I already know this  :lol )

You don't. 

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 02:12:35 PM »
Yeah, he really doesn't. I really enjoyed the tracks, Barry.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 03:11:17 PM »
If you're really self-conscious about your singing, I know a dutch guy named Nicky who is constantly off-pitch, can't sustain well, and yet is the most talented singer since James LaBrie that is looking for work  :lol

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 06:18:29 AM »
Wow, thanks for the compliments, guys. 

@MondayMorningLunatic:  I know about the rhythmic problems, I actually recorded that demo without a clicktrack, so the acoustic guitars are in and out of the click quite a bit. 

As far as vocals go, I usually do some backing vocals and you can hear me on some if you have my band's album.  I guess I am pretty self-conscious about my voice.  My goal, really, is just to be able to sing well enough that I can create demos to provide to a seasoned vocalist and have it be good enough that they actually understand how I would like something to be sung.  To that end, I think I usually am able to pull it off.

Offline guitarrero

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 04:22:26 AM »
Funny stuff dude! Not bad at all indeed! With some polish both tunes could easily get airplay. The melody is there, it's catchy and all you can ask from a radio-tune actually. Write some more and get 'em recorded and produced properly and makes gazillions of money! ;)

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 02:40:56 PM »
 :lol   I'll be famous!  "Now playing at Madison Square Garden:  KirksNoseHair"   :eek