Author Topic: The Stupid Customer Thread  (Read 3300 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The Stupid Customer Thread
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2012, 06:59:49 AM »
Grocery Stores. The frontline for public stupidity.

Amen.
I don't even know where to begin!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2012, 07:32:23 AM »
I do remember one time when I was still working in a pub kitchen (well, no I remember many times of idiocy and subsequent Chef-splosion, but this time was most memorable).

Backdrop: I'm pretty sure that in the week leading up to this, I'd seen the chefs grumble/flip out on waiters and waitresses who had repeatedly brought in orders for things not on the menu (and thus we didn't have the stuff in to make them. It's not a large place, this pub), and on sundays, there is always a selection of roasts.

Now, on this particular sunday the selection was beef, pork, turkey (it was in December), and someone brought in an order for roast chicken.

I seem to remember something being thrown at that point, but I can't remember what. It may have been a yorkshire pudding.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2012, 07:38:15 AM »
-Anyone who chats on their cell phone while trying to do their business with a bank teller, waiter/waitress, bartender, cashier, etc. is an asshole with no manners and, by my definition, a stupid customer.

-Anyone who pulls out the "At this other place, it is cheaper or they make it differently" line needs to get bent.  Oh really, do they?  Then f'ing go there then, dickhead.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2012, 07:41:31 AM »
-Anyone who chats on their cell phone while trying to do their business with a bank teller, waiter/waitress, bartender, cashier, etc. is an asshole with no manners and, by my definition, a stupid customer.

My wife deals with this all the time when she needs to talk to them about their insurance and then they make a crappy comment about how they have to get off their phone to "Deal with this".  My wife wants to kill them all.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2012, 07:43:14 AM »

Honestly this has never bothered me. I hear my csahiers complain about this, and I always tell them that the customers are on their own time and they can do whatever they want.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2012, 07:45:31 AM »
No, it annoys the hell out of me, and I don't even work as a cashier. I just have to stand behind them while they're not concentrating and thus delaying me from actually doing the thing that really should have been done five minutes beforehand, when I realised I'd forgotten the cumin or whatever I was going in to buy.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2012, 07:48:27 AM »
Exactly.  Their time or not, if there is a line behind them and they are taking more time than they should because of their stupid cell phone convo, they are not only being rude and inconsiderate to the worker, they are being so to everyone in line behind them. 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2012, 08:12:44 AM »
Totally agree.

Offline alirocker08

• Apparently not a hobbit
  • 'Sup, I'm a very short elf
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2012, 09:34:35 AM »
Do not get me started on this topic.

How about the time when a group booked a table of fifteen (this is a big deal for us, we seat a maximum of 40 and this economy is doing nothing for business at the moment) and only 6 decided to eat, gave us their order and no inclination that the other 9 weren't eating and were coming a bit later; We had their meals on hold for 45 minutes before they told us that the other 9 weren't eating

Or how about the table of 30 old ladies who almost all ordered corned beef pie; The one woman who complained about the pie being cold was the one who was talking for 20 minutes waiting for her food to cool down, and then after all the deserts went out they all decided to order cappuccinos...Separately.

Then there's the family party of 40. When we get a big booking, we ask them to help us organise the tables, so everyone can be happy and we can concentrate on one table at a time. Well, that gets right royally screwed up when everyone decides to swap tables now, doesn't it?
ITT: We discover that Alice is elvish...
Psshh, your status as a hobbit has just been a cover. Your cover has been blown.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2012, 11:11:32 AM »
I honestly do not understand people like that.  As a customer, I have no problem organizing things within my group to help the server and speed the process along.  Why?  Because we'll get our food faster that way!  Really, there's no reason not to make it easier for your server.  Make it all complicated, order special things when there's a whole bunch of you, and you're just increasing the time it will take and the chance that they'll get something wrong.  And if they do get something wrong, or the kitchen does, don't sit there and yell at them.  The longer you sit there ranting, the more you're delaying them actually fixing the problem.  Shut the hell up and let the servers do their jobs.

Offline alirocker08

• Apparently not a hobbit
  • 'Sup, I'm a very short elf
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2012, 11:12:50 AM »
Feel free to be a customer any time, you're more than welcome :)
ITT: We discover that Alice is elvish...
Psshh, your status as a hobbit has just been a cover. Your cover has been blown.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2012, 11:34:43 AM »
Thank you Orbert. I feel that getting aggressive just dampens the experience for all involved, a bit of patience can make the dinner so much better.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2012, 02:19:09 PM »
I'm a bit biased, I'll admit, having worked in the food service industry for seven years myself, but as with most things, it's just common sense.  I figure you have people willing to pay for food, and people willing to prepare it and serve it and take their money.  There's gotta be a way to make that work.  People just lose that common sense when they're drunk or hungry.

Offline Neon

• DT.net Member
  • Beware the Jabberwock, my son...
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2012, 08:08:28 PM »
I work at the customer service desk of a grocery store.  I deal with idiots all day long. 

Today's highlight:

This douchebag came in and he apparently used to work at the store (I have never met him).  He proceeds to put 4 cans of spaghettios on the counter and explain how his dad bought the wrong thing for his brother and asked if he could exchange them for the right thing.  This of course is no problem.

So then he comes back up and as my coworker is exchanging the items out, he proceeds to ask her if he can get a drink for free.  I'll also mention here that the guy was high as a kite.  The conversation went like this:

Her:  "Uh...no."
Him:  "But I used to work here, can't I at least get an employee discount?" 
Her:  "Uh...no."
Him:  "But I'm diabetic and I feel like I'm going to pass out."
Her:  "There's a water fountain by the pharmacy department."
Him:  "Seriously, you can't just let me have a drink?"

This went back and forth for a few minutes.

He walks away and then comes back and proceeds to try to bum a cigarette off me.

Him:  "Yo do you have an extra cigarette I cam bum off you?"
Me:  "Sorry dude I don't smoke."
Him:  "Seriously?" 
Me:  "Yeah..sorry."
Him:  "What about her (pointing to my coworker)?  Does she smoke?"
Me:  "No, she doesn't smoke either.  And by the way, if you're diabetic you really shouldn't be smoking."
Him:  "Really?"
Me:  "Uh yeah dude.  It's terrible for you anyway but if you're diabetic you could really be putting yourself at risk."
Him:  "Wow I didn't know that."

At this point another customer chimed in about how it could really affect his circulation, etc. 

The kid just walked away at that point. 

:facepalm:
I'd kill myself for you.
I'd kill you for myself.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2012, 09:04:06 PM »
More grocery store madness. People who decide to leave their garbage in the carts. I'm not talking a napkin from a pizza sample here, people. I'm talking a big bag of leaky, disgusting garbage that a person took out of their car, and then they decided to abandon the full trash bag in one of our shopping carts rather than any of the dozens of garbage cans we have placed outside. Pizza boxes, beer bottles, newspapers, whatever shitty thing from our hot bar or salad bar they ate in their car for lunch. And I'm pretty sure it's the same guy every day too. It's always in the same cart return lane. Hoping I catch the asshole in the act someday.

But the little ones, like aforementioned sample cups, coffee cups, towel wipes and napkins bug me too. Several months back I noticed some women take an orange slice sample from the tray we had placed right by the entrance where all the carts are. She takes a bite, walks right past the garbage can, and tosses the orange slice into the front cart (the one the next customer would take). You better believe I called that bitch out on it. She complained to the manager, but they didn't give a crap.

And now for a fun coupon story. So this old lady comes through my line while I'm cashiering, and she has two ice cream thingies. A single one costs $3.50. She has a coupon. "Buy one, get one free. Price can not exceed $7." So, I ring it up, use the coupon. She looks at her receipt, and gets mad.

"You owe me $3.50" she says. I ask her why, and she shows me the "Price can not exceed $7".

I explain to her "Well, mam, that means if I couldn't have used this if one of the ice cream boxes cost more than $7, but it was less, so you got the second one free."

"I don't think you get this, young man." She starts going off. (At this point, I will mention that this woman is wearing plastic gloves, had an oxygen tank, and looked like a leper.) "I paid $3.50."

"Yes."

"Now, their is a remaining $3.50 on this coupon. You owe me that remaining amount. The coupon is for $7. So I paid for part of it and I get the rest of the coupon's worth back."

"No. M'am, that isn't what that means at all." Again, I try to explain it to her. She calls me a "stupid boy" and I bring my manager over, who explains the same thing to her. The lady finally decides to leave, but parts us with this gem:

"I'm calling the owners of the company and filing a complaint to have you crooks fired. This is what happens when you start hiring the retarded." My manager and I look at each other, dumbfounded. The lady finally leaves, and I turn to my manager.

"Nicole, am I retarded?" I ask, amused.

"A little." We laugh.

Haven't heard from upper management. Guess they didn't give a shit, either.  :lol
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2012, 09:06:51 PM »
Was this old lady in question possibly the Loch Ness Monster?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2012, 09:11:35 PM »
 :omg:

IT ALL COMES TOGETHER!
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2012, 03:45:44 AM »
It took me a while to get that.

I am ashamed of myself now.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2012, 10:51:59 AM »
I don't mind catering to picky peeps or special needs types, it's just the fucking inconsiderate and stupid that get to me. You're cool man.

And in twenty plus years in the business, I have never seen one plate get spit in, it's pretty much an urban myth as far as I'm concerned.

EVER FLIP BURGERS AT A FAST FOOD PLACE?

I for one have and can tell you more than spit went out on some of our burgers
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2012, 10:54:14 AM »
working cashier at a supermarket was one reason i chose a career path in engineering. less public interaction

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2012, 11:27:34 AM »
A couple of weeks ago I was doing a wine class at the restaurant/wine bar I work at and I was describing a sweet white wine to an already tipsy, hot little bimbo with abso-fucking-lutely no brains at all; she was one of those women who married young and rich (as her husband pointed out to me later that night lawlzolol). Anyway, we talked a lot throughout the night as she seemed genuinely interested in where the grapes came from, how wine was made in different countries and different methods, etc. etc. I get to the last wine, the white wine, and I tell her that there's a wonderfully sweet hint of pineapple and - then she stops me and has this look of horror on her face...and she says "My god. I'm allergic to pineapple. I've had two glasses!!"

As if there were little chunks of pineapple in the goddamn wine. Holllly shit. I told her that it was part of the fermenting process and explained further and then she giggled it off but...Wowee. Poor little tart. I would've pounded her stupid little poon pretty hard though. Pretty fucking hard. Not too hard though. Don't look at me.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #56 on: July 09, 2012, 12:03:59 PM »
Liar,  you would have hit that thing like it owed you money.