Author Topic: Pyramid Theorem v. Beyond The Exosphere  (Read 31883 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Pyramid Theorem v. Beyond The Exosphere
« Reply #245 on: August 21, 2020, 06:21:17 PM »
Yeah, I'm only halfway through Freedom, and this is fantastic.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline johnnysuperfan

« Reply #246 on: August 21, 2020, 06:24:59 PM »
Yeah, I'm only halfway through Freedom, and this is fantastic.

The opening track and Closer to the End are my favorites. The opener on the final track is interesting.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #247 on: August 21, 2020, 06:28:16 PM »
Finishing up Closer To The End.

Definitely my favorite so far. I love it!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #248 on: August 21, 2020, 06:38:47 PM »
I will have to wait until amazon music has this available in cd or digital.  I used to buy from iTunes, but the last 3 albums I bought would not completely download to my iTunes library.  Actually the titles downloaded, but some were blank for the music.

$7 on Bandcamp. Very easy to use. I can easily get whatever I buy from Bandcamp onto my iPod.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #249 on: August 21, 2020, 06:40:46 PM »
Wow, Intonate has a glorious ending.

Lots of Dream Theaterisms. And that's not a complaint.

Seems this drummer loves himself some Mike Portnoy.

Offline johnnysuperfan

« Reply #250 on: August 21, 2020, 06:45:15 PM »

TAC, since their debut album 8 years ago, what is your take on musically where they are today?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #251 on: August 21, 2020, 07:27:21 PM »

TAC, since their debut album 8 years ago, what is your take on musically where they are today?

So what I really loved about their debut was their reverence to Hemispheres Era Rush. And while my initial comments about Elements Of Surprise were positive, I never revisited. Seemed like they tried to shorter songs, and honestly, I don't remember a thing about it.

After ONE listen to Beyond The Exosphere, the title track again nodded towards late 70's Rush.

I liked the songwriting on BtE. Especially Closer To the End, and while I did not care for the beginning of Freedom, it really turned into a cool song. And that outro to Intonate...WOW!

I like that there's some great melodic parts on this, but not at the expense of some longer passages, as EoS did.

But they went from straight out channeling Rush on the debut, to straight out channeling Dream Theater on BtE. I definitely look forward to another listen. I see they're on Bandcamp, so I'll order it on the next Bandcamp Friday.

Johnny, is this the same drummer?

Offline johnnysuperfan

« Reply #252 on: August 21, 2020, 07:43:09 PM »

So what I really loved about their debut was their reverence to Hemispheres Era Rush. And while my initial comments about Elements Of Surprise were positive, I never revisited. Seemed like they tried to shorter songs, and honestly, I don't remember a thing about it.

After ONE listen to Beyond The Exosphere, the title track again nodded towards late 70's Rush.

I liked the songwriting on BtE. Especially Closer To the End, and while I did not care for the beginning of Freedom, it really turned into a cool song. And that outro to Intonate...WOW!

I like that there's some great melodic parts on this, but not at the expense of some longer passages, as EoS did.

But they went from straight out channeling Rush on the debut, to straight out channeling Dream Theater on BtE. I definitely look forward to another listen. I see they're on Bandcamp, so I'll order it on the next Bandcamp Friday.

Johnny, is this the same drummer?

Yes, same drummer Vito DeFranceso. Vito has some breakdown videos on YouTube.

The opening track Beyond The Exosphere in what I was thinking:

1) definitely Rush at the beginning 2) the vocal reminded me a lot of Kansas 3) Peart inspired drum solo 4) brief Kraftwerk vibe the keyboard part around 6 minutes 4) Opeth without the growls 5) Haken, DT and Rush for the ending.

Love the guitar tones throughout.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #253 on: August 22, 2020, 06:36:46 AM »
After loving the first album, I guess for whatever reason I didn't spend a ton of time with Element Of Surprise. I have it, and I'll have to revisit it.

I remember being mostly disappointed with it. I may fire it up this afternoon while mowing the lawn (not a euphemism).
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #254 on: August 23, 2020, 02:20:02 AM »
After loving the first album, I guess for whatever reason I didn't spend a ton of time with Element Of Surprise. I have it, and I'll have to revisit it.

I remember being mostly disappointed with it. I may fire it up this afternoon while mowing the lawn (not a euphemism).

I enjoyed the videos they did for it but was disappointed by the brickwalling on the album. Makes it a tough listen.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline johnnysuperfan

« Reply #255 on: August 23, 2020, 09:15:09 AM »

nice review by Tuonela Magazine:

http://tuonelamagazine.com/review-pyramid-theorem-beyond-the-exosphere/

Quote:
“Beyond the Exosphere” deserves to be explored by yourself, but if you are into bands like SYMPHONY X or AYREON, you should take a seat and enjoy the ride!

Offline T-ski

« Reply #256 on: August 25, 2020, 12:03:01 PM »
Late to this party but glad I made it.  Good stuff.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline johnnysuperfan

« Reply #257 on: August 25, 2020, 12:08:47 PM »
Late to this party but glad I made it.  Good stuff.

awesome, glad to have you aboard  ;D

and TAC is right, "Intonate" such a powerful track, couldn't ask for a better closer to this album

Offline johnnysuperfan

« Reply #258 on: August 31, 2020, 02:16:54 PM »
thank you Pyramid Theorem, very cool package bundle  :tup

« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 02:27:24 PM by johnnysuperfan »

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #259 on: September 25, 2020, 10:26:38 AM »
Here's PT's drummer Vito on "Banger TV"... amazing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBGFy4EWHPE

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #260 on: September 25, 2020, 01:08:44 PM »
Yeah, the mixing and mastering on this is really very good compared to the second album which I can't really listen to because of the super super loud mastering.  Would be awesome of the band would maybe re-mix and remaster that album because I think the material deserves to sound like BTE which is easily the best-sounding PT album

Offline johnnysuperfan

« Reply #261 on: September 26, 2020, 06:42:26 PM »

Tune in to our YouTube channel on Tuesday, September 29th at 6pm EDT. and join the live listening party for our new album BEYOND THE EXOSPHERE!

Making a special guest appearance will be Richard Chycki, who produced and mixed the album!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN1w69Ignp3YGFogfyLoMbQ

Offline johnnysuperfan

« Reply #262 on: September 29, 2020, 02:30:28 PM »

today at 6:00 pm eastern time on YouTube:

LIVE LISTENING PARTY with very special guest Richard Chycki, listening to BEYOND THE EXOSPHERE from top to bottom and talking about the whole recording experience 💥

https://youtu.be/oL0QHz20vrM

Offline Vlasto

• The DAY is nigh...
  • DT.net Veteran
  • John,14-6
« Reply #263 on: September 19, 2021, 01:59:23 PM »
Insightfull interview about Beyond The Exosphere  ;)
https://www.dabelly.com/features/feature682.htm

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #264 on: September 19, 2021, 02:00:51 PM »
I literally listened to their first album last week.