Poll

POLL: Do you like DT using vocal backing tracks?

I like it
31 (20.4%)
I don't like it
36 (23.7%)
I don't care
85 (55.9%)

Total Members Voted: 146

Author Topic: POLL: DT using vocal backing tracks - your opinion?  (Read 15451 times)

Offline Madman Shepherd

Re: POLL: DT using vocal backing tracks - your opinion?
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2012, 12:30:03 AM »
I don't care either.  They use it VERY sparingly.  If they used a backing track through a whole verse in multiple songs I would have a problem...but as it stands they use it in a few choruses in only a few songs. 

Offline E.S.

« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2012, 02:21:13 AM »
I find it amusing that this is still a discussion in 2012. So what? Isn't it the result that matters, not how the result is achieved? Does the fact make it sound worse? If you didn't know, you wouldn't mind, right?

Rush has done this for ages, and nobody cares. I'd like to quote sir Lifeson; "It's not cheating if you played it in the first place."

If anything, I'd say it's pretty damn good to be able to trigger stuff like that in time. Try it and see how easy it is.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2012, 02:32:40 AM »
I'm searching very hard for a fuck to give

can't find one
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2012, 02:36:44 AM »
I find it amusing that this is still a discussion in 2012. So what? Isn't it the result that matters, not how the result is achieved? Does the fact make it sound worse? If you didn't know, you wouldn't mind, right?

Rush has done this for ages, and nobody cares. I'd like to quote sir Lifeson; "It's not cheating if you played it in the first place."

By the same logic, why not just mime the entire thing? Then it will sound perfect! It's the results that matter.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline FsF

« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2012, 03:19:13 AM »
While one of my all-time favourute gig experiences was seeing Alex Lifeson hurriedly try and run to up the mic to mime "SUBDIVISIONS", I would still rather they tried to do them all live.  I mean, who can forget Petrucci's backing on ITNOG? Legendary stuff.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2012, 08:38:26 AM »
I voted "Like."  They are backing the harmonies, not using the backup tapes to substitute for James' vocals or to prop him up.  And the result is that the vocals sound more full, which makes the songs sound even better in a live setting.  And a big part of that to me is the fact that I don't notice that they are there unless I listen for them.  They blend, but they aren't completely up front and distracting, so they add to the song and performance rather than taking away from it.  If it was a lead vocal being piped in, or if, like Queensryche, they were being used to prop up a lead singer who couldn't get the job done anymore, it would bother me.  But in this case, it actually makes the song better.

Personally, I don't even understand the mindset of someone who would actively dislike DT for using a backing vocal track.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2012, 08:46:06 AM »
Personally, I don't even understand the mindset of someone who would actively dislike DT for using a backing vocal track.
This, especially since DT uses backing tracks in only a few lines in a few songs. Probably not even more than a few minutes of backing tracks in the entire set.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2012, 08:48:51 AM »
While one of my all-time favourute gig experiences was seeing Alex Lifeson hurriedly try and run to up the mic to mime "SUBDIVISIONS", I would still rather they tried to do them all live.

For the record, Alex always sings into to the mic; he is not miming.  But in every case, he is not only singing over a triggered extra vocal (like Subdivisions), but his vocal mic is mixed very low to where you really cannot hear him underneath the triggered vocal, which is a good thing if you've ever heard Alex actually sing. :lol

Offline Siberian Khatru

« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2012, 08:52:47 AM »
While one of my all-time favourute gig experiences was seeing Alex Lifeson hurriedly try and run to up the mic to mime "SUBDIVISIONS", I would still rather they tried to do them all live.

For the record, Alex always sings into to the mic; he is not miming.  But in every case, he is not only singing over a triggered extra vocal (like Subdivisions), but his vocal mic is mixed very low to where you really cannot hear him underneath the triggered vocal, which is a good thing if you've ever heard Alex actually sing. :lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_mbYzM8axo

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2012, 08:56:34 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_mbYzM8axo

Haha, exactly.  And that clip shows that Rush is not a band that hits a button and then plays to an entire backing track for the whole song.  That intro they keep playing for three minutes, with them triggering the polka bits over and over and over, until they finally got Alex's guitar working correctly.  Some bands have a backing track to where the entire song has one and then the band has to play over the top of that backing track and if they have any problems, it is all messed up.  A band like Rush triggers and plays every little thing in real time.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2012, 09:59:00 AM »
I'd say just don't play the ones where you relied on MPs backing vocals. Obviously keep Lost Not Forgotten but they should just not play some of the older tracks where MP does lead vocals. It really isn't that big of a deal but a lot of people do come to the DT shows to see the live performance and will get disappointed by this.

A solution would be to have another person in the band singing them but I can imagine it being tough playing and singing at the same time for JP, and JR. JMX doesn't really speak that much in general so that's out of the question.   

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2012, 11:24:23 AM »
A solution would be to have another person in the band singing them but I can imagine it being tough playing and singing at the same time for JP, and JR. JMX doesn't really speak that much in general so that's out of the question.
JP already picked up an incredible amount of backing vocal duties compared to his responsibilities before MP left. In that regard, he has completely outdone himself and deserves praise, for sure. For JR, he already is quite busy with keyboards and I can see how it would be extremely easier to use the backing tracks sparingly like they are rather than introducing a completely new element to JR's live playing. I wonder if they actually considered JR doing vocals. But regardless, it seems like JR would have too much on his 'plate' when they are performing if he had to add additional backing vocals on top of his already extremely busy performance duties with his keyboards.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2012, 11:43:49 AM »

If anything, I'd say it's pretty damn good to be able to trigger stuff like that in time. Try it and see how easy it is.

Chances are they're not triggered. Chances are they are part of a backing track that is being played to a click track, which would also explain why they are playing in the identical tempos every single night (which is also identical to the CD).

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2012, 11:50:05 AM »
That's the only thing James uses it for: the BACKING vocals. The voice you hear in the background in the studio version, the parts that Portnoy used to sing. It's not like he fakes any of the important bits, just the ones that sound worse now that Portnoy is out.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2012, 11:52:43 AM »
I don't care.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2012, 01:03:59 PM »
Personally, I preferred it when he had no harmonies going, or when he was doing the harmonies instead of the melodies. I mean, I remember Portnoy doing SOME backing vocals on LSFNY, but there were also quite a few songs that were obviously too high for him, so JLB just did them by himself, like the chorus to Strange Deja Vu, or parts of Finally Free, and I thought, "This is cool, to just hear those parts in one voice," especially when he did the higher harmonies. So yeah, I kinda prefer that.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2012, 01:25:06 PM »
I voted "Don't like" because I think there are three capable musicians on stage who could do it.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2012, 01:29:45 PM »
I voted "Don't like" because I think there are three capable musicians on stage who could do it.

rumborak

that's easier said than done though. the lost not forgotten chorus is pretty crazy on its own for the rest of the band on their respective instruments

« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2012, 01:32:36 PM »
that's easier said than done though. the lost not forgotten chorus is pretty crazy on its own for the rest of the band on their respective instruments

And if JLB did the Lost Not Forgotten chorus without any backing vocals at all, it would still sound great. I really don't see why they need them. I mean, IF JP could do it, then sure, or when MP was in the band, when he did it, fine. But if none of the band members could do the backing vocals for JLB, then I don't see what the big deal is about just letting him do the main vocals by himself.

Frankly, I never liked the backing vocals in LNF anyway. Even on the album.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2012, 01:34:16 PM »
we know where you stand on the backing tracks

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2012, 01:36:31 PM »
 :lol

Offline FsF

« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2012, 03:01:07 PM »

Aha! I knew they triggered them live, but totally blanked on the deal that Alex would trigger those vocals. I do seem to rememeber a version of 'Between Sun and Moon' with Alex's vocals turned up, and they were indeed not pretty.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2012, 03:16:15 PM »
Words cannot express how little I care. I know they're playing everything else, and besides which, this deep into music history, when odds are every live album you own has extensive overdubs, DT using a backing track to do a few backing vocals falls firmly into the "I have no fucks to give about this" category.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2012, 03:24:38 PM »
Words cannot express how little I care. I know they're playing everything else, and besides which, this deep into music history, when odds are every live album you own has extensive overdubs, DT using a backing track to do a few backing vocals falls firmly into the "I have no fucks to give about this" category.
This. People are making a bigger deal out of this than it really is.

Offline TL

« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2012, 04:32:04 PM »
It doesn't really matter to me. I'd probably rather they didn't, but I don't mind either.

What does seem silly to me is having such an adverse reaction to it, to the point of not going to see a great live band just because they use an occasional backing vocal track. It just seems like you're depriving yourself of a fun experience for a very lackluster reason.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #61 on: July 05, 2012, 05:37:13 PM »
It doesn't really matter to me. I'd probably rather they didn't, but I don't mind either.

What does seem silly to me is having such an adverse reaction to it, to the point of not going to see a great live band just because they use an occasional backing vocal track. It just seems like you're depriving yourself of a fun experience for a very lackluster reason.
I didn't think anyone really was?

The OP's a little thornier on the subject than most, but voting "I don't like it" isn't the same as hating it with the fire of a million suns. It just means I've gone "oh, that's a bit rubbish," justified it when asked in an open poll, then moved on with my life. Seeing DT's still a cracking way to spend a night.

The lacklustre reason I'm depriving myself of a fun experience is because I've got no money, not because they sometimes have a tape on.

« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2012, 06:14:00 PM »

I agree. I don't like using backing tracks, but there's no way in hell I'm going to miss out on a Dream Theater show just because of that.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2012, 06:16:35 PM »

I didn't think anyone really was?

Well, the OP said he was disappointed, was never going to another show with backing vocals, said it was cruel, and said he knew 5 other people who felt the same way.  I'd say that's an adverse reaction.  And, unforutnately, it kinds of sets the tone for the thread, even if others who vote "don't like" are much softer in expressing their opinions.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: DT using vocal backing tracks - your opinion?
« Reply #64 on: July 05, 2012, 07:15:29 PM »
With some bands, I have no problems with backing tracks. Nightwish, Kamelot, Iced Earth, Dimmu Borgir, Devin Townsend, Within Temptation etc etc. However DT....well they really don't need them. I personally play with backing tracks in my band, and every song is to a click, so clearly I have no problem with it in principle. But I see no reason for DT to do it other than to sound as close to the CD as possible.

And THAT annoys me. When a band tries to sound identical to their CDs live. If I want to hear the CD, I'll put on the damn CD. When I see a band live, I want a different thing.

I don't mind them trying to get as close as possible to the album version. The necessity for the click track is a bummer though. It takes an important element of live music out.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Adami

Re: DT using vocal backing tracks - your opinion?
« Reply #65 on: July 05, 2012, 07:18:05 PM »
With some bands, I have no problems with backing tracks. Nightwish, Kamelot, Iced Earth, Dimmu Borgir, Devin Townsend, Within Temptation etc etc. However DT....well they really don't need them. I personally play with backing tracks in my band, and every song is to a click, so clearly I have no problem with it in principle. But I see no reason for DT to do it other than to sound as close to the CD as possible.

And THAT annoys me. When a band tries to sound identical to their CDs live. If I want to hear the CD, I'll put on the damn CD. When I see a band live, I want a different thing.

I don't mind them trying to get as close as possible to the album version. The necessity for the click track is a bummer though. It takes an important element of live music out.

rumborak

Depends on the music. My bands play to a click track live, doesn't change anything for us. No fans really notice or care if a song is 5-10 seconds longer or short live than in the studio. The only times they will care is when it's very different, and that's usually complained about. Obviously some bands that are more rock, or jammy or groove based, then sure. But not all bands are like that, and most bands who use click tracks aren't like that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #66 on: July 05, 2012, 07:22:05 PM »
One word...Overture.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #67 on: July 05, 2012, 07:24:20 PM »
Imo, if DT wants to do it, let them. After all, it's their band. It's not like James is lip syncing or anything. To me, it's not much different then when JP uses his harmonizer pedal during the opening solo to TCOT and other such songs.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Adami

« Reply #68 on: July 05, 2012, 07:27:51 PM »
Imo, if DT wants to do it, let them.

NO! We will not let them! We control what they do and we will force them to stop!

Seriously, I don't get why people are saying "Let the band do what they want". Obviously the band will do what they want, no one here is trying to start a petition or a letter writing committee, we're just voicing our opinions.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #69 on: July 05, 2012, 07:30:42 PM »

Seriously, I don't get why people are saying "Let the band do what they want". Obviously the band will do what they want, no one here is trying to start a petition or a letter writing committee, we're just voicing our opinions.
You know what I meant.  :yeahright
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios