131 (31.8%)
Average
132 (32%)
Pretty bad, but has some good points
94 (22.8%)
Terrible
20 (4.9%)

Total Members Voted: 399

Author Topic: The Systematic Chaos Appreciation (and explanation of disappreciation) Thread  (Read 62184 times)

Offline Trav86

Re: The Systematic Chaos Appreciation (and explanation of disappreciation) Thread
« Reply #385 on: November 01, 2021, 05:21:33 PM »
At first I only liked the first half. Then I grew to enjoy the second half. Now I find the entire second half plodding and boring.

I really enjoy the first 4 tracks though. But over time I barely listen to this album anymore.

The first half is money. ITPOE is cool altogether, but I can take the first part by itself just fine. It kicked ass on the last tour.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Systematic Chaos Appreciation (and explanation of disappreciation) Thread
« Reply #386 on: November 01, 2021, 05:23:40 PM »
Part 1 should have opened the album for sure. But Part II should have been something else. I don't like the instrumental section in it either.

The whole album is just Ehhhhhhh. ( imo of course ) and a poor follow up to Octavarium.

Black Clouds has two fewer tracks but is a much more enjoyable album overall I think..

Octavarium is my favourite album and Systematic my least favourite.

Also Score is a great concert video and Chaos In Motion is not.

Offline svisser

• Pineapple. I like to eat it.
« Reply #387 on: November 01, 2021, 08:21:25 PM »
Part 1 should have opened the album for sure. But Part II should have been something else. I don't like the instrumental section in it either.

The whole album is just Ehhhhhhh. ( imo of course ) and a poor follow up to Octavarium.

Black Clouds has two fewer tracks but is a much more enjoyable album overall I think..

Octavarium is my favourite album and Systematic my least favourite.

It was the awful mix that did it for me. It is a good memory though because I saw them in Vancouver on that tour.
She can turn a drop of water
         Into an ocean
                                           In the room the women come and go
                                                 Talking of Michelangelo.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #388 on: November 01, 2021, 10:50:53 PM »
I love ItPoE pts 1 and 2 and Ministry.
I like Forsaken and PoW quite a bit.
I drank TDEN and CM in the bottom 10 songs in their discography
I think the first part of Repentance is fine, the second half could be my least favorite section of any DT song.

I have no idea what to make of this album sometimes.

Whoa, slow down there Jimmy, where do you get off posting such a hot take? 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline svisser

« Reply #389 on: November 01, 2021, 11:55:12 PM »
I love ItPoE pts 1 and 2 and Ministry.
I like Forsaken and PoW quite a bit.
I drank TDEN and CM in the bottom 10 songs in their discography
I think the first part of Repentance is fine, the second half could be my least favorite section of any DT song.

I have no idea what to make of this album sometimes.

I know the feeling too. Even though I think pretty highly of this album, if I take too much time and really think about, it gets a bit ridiculous. Like I said before, I conciser it their fun album. There is just something about it that makes it enjoyable to listen too. It might be the lyrical content, or the production, or the absurd songs. It just always stuck me as a fun album.
         Into an ocean
                                                 Talking of Michelangelo.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #390 on: November 02, 2021, 09:12:05 AM »
I’m not trying to be disrespectful, however…I never really bought in to the whole 12 Step Suite thing. I don’t recall any other band member besides MP even talk about it.
I don't even understand what you mean about that.  What is there to buy into?

Maybe that’s not the best way to phrase it. What I mean is I’ve never really thought of it as a suite in the same way I do SDOIT or A Mind Beside Itself. I don’t think of the songs of how they fit with the other songs, or care about listening to them back to back. And how they “flow” with each other. Nor do I have any desire to hear them all played together like some people have talked about before.
I gave my opinion on Repentance and The Shattered Fortress earlier. I will say the first three songs are great, but the idea that they go together rarely crosses my mind when listening to them.

Obviously this is my opinion but that’s what I meant.
Well, the big difference is that the other pieces you mentioned were presented as one piece, consecutively, on their respective albums, while this suite was spread across five albums.

If it had been presented as one piece, would you still regard it differently than those others?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #391 on: November 02, 2021, 11:17:17 AM »
Well, the big difference is that the other pieces you mentioned were presented as one piece, consecutively, on their respective albums, while this suite was spread across five albums.

If it had been presented as one piece, would you still regard it differently than those others?

Obviously, no. But those other songs were written as one piece. The 12 Step songs are separate songs, written separately over the course of like 7-8 years.
Can't we find the minds

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #392 on: November 02, 2021, 01:17:38 PM »

Obviously, no. But those other songs were written as one piece. The 12 Step songs are separate songs, written separately over the course of like 7-8 years.
I guess.  I mean, with each one, they were written kind of one at a time, no matter how long it took.

I don't know, I just don't see the problem with it.  I don't even understand HAVING a problem with it.  Each one is obviously a continuation/progression from the ones that came before, with The Shattered Fortress being the obvious conclusion.  I just don't get your issue.

Which is fine, of course.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #393 on: November 02, 2021, 01:28:09 PM »
I don’t have a problem or issue with it necessarily. I guess I never made a big deal over these songs being one big thing the way most fans have.

And I’m really just picking at the songs to justify my feelings.

It’s a “me” problem for sure lol. I have nothing against the whole thing, or anyone who thinks it’s awesome.
Can't we find the minds

Offline darkshade

« Reply #394 on: November 02, 2021, 06:13:27 PM »
SC followed up Octavarium well, and once again something different than what preceded. Not their best album, but far from their worst at this point. People talk about the band's new album A View as fresh, but Systematic Chaos is truly what sounds like a band not resting on their laurels and putting out something new for them, while still retaining their own identity. I think SC is a step down from their previous efforts, as I don't like the track order, think POW is a bad song, and TMOLS has never been a favorite. I think the flow of the album is mostly good until after TDEN and then things seem to lose focus. I don't like split of ITPOE either. I like Repentance but I like it better in the context of the 12SS. Overall, I feel like the majority of the Mangini era borrows from this album a lot, with dash of IaW without the early 90s production, and I even heard some SC stuff on LTEƎ. BC&SL is better.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #395 on: November 02, 2021, 06:30:39 PM »
I used to go back and forth between which album I liked more - Systematic or Black Clouds but now I firmly think Black Clouds is the superior album.

Even though Nightmare is too long...I think Wither is better than Forsaken. I prefer Shattered Fortress to Dark Eternal Night and think The Count of Tuscany is

a much better epic overall than In The Presence of Enemies. Plus The Best of Times has an amazing three minute outro solo.

Offline AVFTTOTW

« Reply #396 on: November 02, 2021, 06:56:45 PM »
I love ITPOE (especially pt 2) and TDEN (despite the cringe lyrics), the rest of SC is not their best work though.
La ilaha illa'llah, Muhammadun Rasoolullah
"Soon We shall show them Our signs in the horizons and in their own souls until it becomes clear to them that He is the Reality.
Is it not sufficient that your Lord is witness to  all things?" - Qur'an 41:53

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #397 on: November 02, 2021, 07:15:28 PM »
I have always loved Prophet Of War. People complain about things as DT by Numbers, and PoW is anything but.
People want DT to branch out, but then again, do they really?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #398 on: November 02, 2021, 08:51:55 PM »
A good song is a good song… dream theater can branch out and also make it a song people like.

Most people loved three days and that song was weird as hell and super theatrical.

I personally don’t mind POW as I don’t find it any worse or better then the rest of the album.  It’s one of my least favorite albums by them.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #399 on: November 03, 2021, 05:52:27 AM »
I have always loved Prophet Of War. People complain about things as DT by Numbers, and PoW is anything but.
People want DT to branch out, but then again, do they really?

Considering that every little attempt has been vigorously defenestrated, I would say no. They don't.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #400 on: November 03, 2021, 06:21:23 AM »
" We want another concept album "

Here You Go.

" :angry: Not like THAT go back to your classic sound "

Here you Are.

" :angry: OMG this is just same old same old "

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #401 on: November 03, 2021, 06:29:33 AM »
I think POW is an awful, awful song.

But if they felt that was the song they needed to make, then I'm glad they made it, whether I like it or not.

But I hate it.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #402 on: November 03, 2021, 06:48:31 AM »

But if they felt that was the song they needed to make, then I'm glad they made it, whether I like it or not.

But I hate it.

See, this is how fans should be. “I hate your song, but I'm happy for you!”   :lol
Can't we find the minds

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #403 on: November 03, 2021, 07:22:23 AM »
I like PoW, I think it's a fun song.

This album was the first release since I learned about DT. I was fresh out of high school and knew a few DT songs (PMU, ITNOG, AIA and Panic Attack). Didn't listen to the whole album then, but I liked the few songs I heard (CM, PoW and Forsaken). I don't listen to it as much nowadays, but it's mainly because of how strong the rest of their discography is, not because it's a bad album.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline oceanic156

« Reply #404 on: November 03, 2021, 07:36:54 AM »
I didn't like SC when it first released, and I can't say it's aged well for me. My least favorite DT album for sure. The only song I like going back to is Ministry of Lost Souls, which has some some atmosphere and a very interesting melodic progression. As for the rest... well, Dark Eternal Night for example might be the least enjoyable DT song ever for me. An obnoxious lead riff, silly lyrics, and a really unflattering vocal performance from JLB and Portnoy. It's weird because I LOVE heavy DT, especially on Train of Thought. As I Am, In the Name of God, etc, those are emotive, incredible metal songs. Constant Motion and TDEN sound like parodies by comparison.

ITPoE is also my least favorite epic from the band. I still smirk at the 'Dark masterrr' delivery in Part II. The whole album has these strange, almost juvenile vocal and compositional choices. I don't know what they were thinking with some of these tracks.

The band's nadir for me. Fortunately, they REALLY bounced back with the Mangini era. DoT and View have some of their best work ever IMO.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #405 on: November 03, 2021, 07:48:25 AM »
It was their first where I felt I should like it more than I actually did.
Can't we find the minds

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #406 on: November 03, 2021, 07:54:19 AM »
I didn't like SC when it first released, and I can't say it's aged well for me. My least favorite DT album for sure. The only song I like going back to is Ministry of Lost Souls, which has some some atmosphere and a very interesting melodic progression. As for the rest... well, Dark Eternal Night for example might be the least enjoyable DT song ever for me. An obnoxious lead riff, silly lyrics, and a really unflattering vocal performance from JLB and Portnoy. It's weird because I LOVE heavy DT, especially on Train of Thought. As I Am, In the Name of God, etc, those are emotive, incredible metal songs. Constant Motion and TDEN sound like parodies by comparison.

ITPoE is also my least favorite epic from the band. I still smirk at the 'Dark masterrr' delivery in Part II. The whole album has these strange, almost juvenile vocal and compositional choices. I don't know what they were thinking with some of these tracks.

The band's nadir for me. Fortunately, they REALLY bounced back with the Mangini era. DoT and View have some of their best work ever IMO.

SC is the band's "fuck it" album. I also think it has more variety than any other album save for 8V. Not every song is a hit. But the band, to me, has had misses on pretty much every album.

But I hate it.

See, this is how fans should be. “I hate your song, but I'm happy for you!”   :lol

This is kind of how I feel about Repentance. I totally appreciate the song. I find it incredibly experimental.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline svisser

« Reply #407 on: November 03, 2021, 10:23:08 AM »
Imagine if they played the entire album on tour in 2022. I mean, it would be the 15 years anniversary.
         Into an ocean
                                                 Talking of Michelangelo.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #408 on: November 03, 2021, 10:57:31 AM »
Imagine if they played the entire album on tour in 2022. I mean, it would be the 15 years anniversary.
I would go to that show, as long as they skipped Repentance..  :biggrin:
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #409 on: November 03, 2021, 11:04:26 AM »

There is a lot of material from the post-SfaM period that hasn't been played live in 10 or 15 years, so even if they were to stop neglecting that time period, they're not going to use 80 minutes of their set for one of their least popular albums. It's 13th out of 15 on ProgArchives, 11th on Rate Your Music, and the last poll I saw around here had it in the second-to-last spot. In all cases it was the lowest-rated one from the "classic" lineup (i.e. with LaBrie and Portnoy).
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 11:16:08 AM by Kyo »
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Offline Trav86

« Reply #410 on: November 03, 2021, 11:32:12 AM »
Not to go too far off the rails here, but does anyone really and truly see them ever revisiting an entire album other than I&W and SFAM? Those were sure bets to sell tickets because they’re probably the only two albums that are universally loved. Obviously there are outliers, but mostly everyone loves those two. I just don’t see another album that is worth risking ticket sales over. Not everyone is as hardcore as us to go see them play all of SDOIT or FII or whatever.
Can't we find the minds

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #411 on: November 03, 2021, 11:36:19 AM »
Not to go too far off the rails here, but does anyone really and truly see them ever revisiting an entire album other than I&W and SFAM? Those were sure bets to sell tickets because they’re probably the only two albums that are universally loved. Obviously there are outliers, but mostly everyone loves those two. I just don’t see another album that is worth risking ticket sales over. Not everyone is as hardcore as us to go see them play all of SDOIT or FII or whatever.
I would think Octavarium would be most likely. I high point in their career and Score standing alone as a live release.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #412 on: November 03, 2021, 11:39:10 AM »
I kind of doubt it.

Offline svisser

« Reply #413 on: November 03, 2021, 03:33:09 PM »

I think closest to that would be hearing Six Degrees.
         Into an ocean
                                                 Talking of Michelangelo.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #414 on: November 03, 2021, 03:41:14 PM »
I kind of doubt it.

This.  DT has only three classics and has played them all in their entirety.

I&W
SFAM
TA

OK, I'm kidding about the last one. No hysterical reaction is needed.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #415 on: November 05, 2021, 10:47:26 AM »
Systematic Chaos holds a special place in my heart because it was the first Dream Theater album that was released after I became a fan. I think it has some great songs but as an overall album is one of their weakest. On your typical tier list (S, A, B, C, D, F) I'd probably slot it under "C" in terms of Dream Theater albums.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Trav86

« Reply #416 on: November 05, 2021, 10:51:49 AM »
Nostalgia and what was going on in my life at the time of an albums release, always plays a large role in how I feel about said album.
Can't we find the minds

Offline svisser

« Reply #417 on: November 05, 2021, 12:23:09 PM »
I feel that towards Train Of Thought. It was not my first album of theirs. That was Octavarium. But the Budokan dvd was the first time I ever heard DT music and most of the tracks were on that live album. So TOT, even though it is not their best, will always be special to me.
         Into an ocean
                                                 Talking of Michelangelo.

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #418 on: November 05, 2021, 07:49:01 PM »
ITPOE is one of the best songs they've ever written, so to that extent I am grateful for SC. However, I don't go to that album for much else.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #419 on: November 05, 2021, 08:12:16 PM »
ITPOE is one of the best songs they've ever written, so to that extent I am grateful for SC. However, I don't go to that album for much else.

Such an underrated gem. Maybe if they released it as one track only (it is one song after all) people would appreciate it more.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."