Author Topic: Falling Into Infinity a re-listen  (Read 15197 times)

Majesti and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Falling Into Infinity a re-listen
« Reply #175 on: January 16, 2019, 09:55:23 AM »
Yeah, and the fact that it would've been an even more mediocre album.

To me, the most obvious flaw with FII is the running order.  New Millennium is a solid tune, but not a good opener, so the first 14 minutes of the album is a solid tune that I do not feel starts the album well and then a song most would agree is one of their worst ever.  It takes off from there with the killer Peruvian Skies, but the first two songs are a tough nut to crack. I still kick myself, as I talked the band up to a friend at the time for like a year, so he was like, "Okay, let me borrow a CD and I will check it out," and since FII was the new album and I was loving most of it, I gave him that one.  Big mistake.  He thought the first two songs sucked and that forever tainted his view.  I was like, "What about the 3rd song?"  And he was like, "That was better, but it sounded like a Metallica-wannabe song."  I am not sure he even listened to the rest of it before giving it back.  :censored >:( :facepalm:

I think a better way to put it is, Petrucci does not mind input from a producer and/or outside source if he thinks it can make the song better, while Portnoy generally doesn't like anyone who is not part of the band "butting in and telling me how to make my song better."

...Except, wasn't this how Flying Colors was created in the first place? A producer-created supergroup that helped shape their debut album? The one of their 2 albums that seems to be generally more well-liked than the other (which did not have an outside producer)?

That is why I said "generally," as there are almost always exceptions to every rule. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

• Do a nice one for grandma
« Reply #176 on: January 16, 2019, 11:05:03 AM »
Well I first heard the Falling Into Infinity songs mainly from their 5 years in a Livetime dvd and Budakon. You can see how bummed I was to find out about the demo songs they played not being included in the studio.

That's only "Cover My Eyes" and "Speak to Me" (on 5YIAL -- none of the FII demos appear on the Budokan DVD).

And I loved those versions.  Which I thought were on the cd. Though when I could I bought the FII demos instantly.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

I Love You...Poppin Fresh

Online Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
  • AnybodyListening.net
    • AnybodyListening.net - The Ultimate Guide to Queensr˙che's Original Lineup!
« Reply #177 on: January 16, 2019, 11:26:00 AM »
Hey all, I want to apologize to anyone who took offense to what I posted about MP's opinion leading most people to dislike FII. In re-reading, it came off as abrasive, and I regret that. I just think what artists say, particularly ones that are as vocal and engaged as Portnoy, really can steer people. I happen to love FII, and while I can appreciate the frustration of the band about the making of the record, it has always just bothered me that it was slagged by MP, and that so many people then seemed to jump on that. I know it isn't the case for everyone. Much respect for the differing opinions.

Offline bosk1

• Bow down to Boskaryus
  • Administrator
  • Kabbalah
« Reply #178 on: January 16, 2019, 12:05:02 PM »
I wouldn't discount that some may have jumped on that bandwagon.  Or maybe they liked it just fine, but felt that it simply wasn't quite up to the same level as the two proceeding albums and EP, and Mike's comments just emboldened some people to highlight the negatives.  But it's kind of interesting to look back on the history of the vocal fan base.  I know that by the time I started reading and posting on the forums around 2001 or 2002, there was already somewhat of a split between the DT forum and the MP.com forum, with a much bigger percentage of the MP.com fanbase following whatever MP said much more readily.  I think that same segment of the fan base might have been among those who much more readily slagged the album following his comments.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online pg1067

« Reply #179 on: January 16, 2019, 12:41:05 PM »
FII really showcases the potential that DT has/had in writing legitimately catchy and infectious songs of a more conventional nature. Hollow Years is a primo example of that. But it's clearly not something the band is interested in doing given their catalog of the last 20 years.
I don't know if I'd say that is true. Certainly the band has never hid nor denied the "pop" influences or side of the band, although it does take more of a back seat to their heavy and prog sides. But I'd say that there's typically at least a track or two on each of their albums that would fit in with that. So while it might not be their main priority, it is something that they have some interest in.

Yup.

WDADU:  "Status Seeker"
I&W:  "Another Day" and "Surrounded"
Awake:  "Innocence Faded" (blech!)
FII:  Lots
SFAM:  "The Spirit Carries On"
SDOIT and TOT:  Nothing (MAYBE "Vacant," but not really)
8VA:  "The Answer Lies Within" and "I Walk Beside You"
SC:  "Forsaken" (pretty iffy, but close)
BC&SL:  "Wither"
ADTOE:  I skip about half this album, so I'm not sure which of the songs I skip might qualify.  "Beneath the Surface" probably does.
DT12:  "The Looking Glass" (a little iffy) and "Along for the Ride"
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Majesti

« Reply #180 on: January 17, 2019, 08:47:50 PM »
Since we’re on the topic can I just say... “Where Are You Now” is such an exceptional song! What a vibe!

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #181 on: January 17, 2019, 11:54:59 PM »
FII really showcases the potential that DT has/had in writing legitimately catchy and infectious songs of a more conventional nature. Hollow Years is a primo example of that. But it's clearly not something the band is interested in doing given their catalog of the last 20 years.
I don't know if I'd say that is true. Certainly the band has never hid nor denied the "pop" influences or side of the band, although it does take more of a back seat to their heavy and prog sides. But I'd say that there's typically at least a track or two on each of their albums that would fit in with that. So while it might not be their main priority, it is something that they have some interest in.

Yup.

WDADU:  "Status Seeker"
I&W:  "Another Day" and "Surrounded"
Awake:  "Innocence Faded" (blech!)
FII:  Lots
SFAM:  "The Spirit Carries On"
SDOIT and TOT:  Nothing (MAYBE "Vacant," but not really)
8VA:  "The Answer Lies Within" and "I Walk Beside You"
SC:  "Forsaken" (pretty iffy, but close)
BC&SL:  "Wither"
ADTOE:  I skip about half this album, so I'm not sure which of the songs I skip might qualify.  "Beneath the Surface" probably does.
DT12:  "The Looking Glass" (a little iffy) and "Along for the Ride"

I would classify most of these songs as being more solemn and introspective ballads than having a more straightforward and upbeat pop tune, which FII is a bit more rife with to me.
What are you gonna do, STAB ME?

Offline DTA

« Reply #182 on: Today at 06:15:44 AM »
Since we’re on the topic can I just say... “Where Are You Now” is such an exceptional song! What a vibe!

I think most of the b-sides from that time are incredibly strong. The FII period was certainly a very creative time and they yielded lots of amazing songs. I only find Raise The Knife to be weaker than the rest and that's mainly because the vocal melody sounds unfinished/weak.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #183 on: Today at 06:52:06 AM »
I'm actually listening to FII right now. It is definitely the most interesting DT album in the terms that it seems to be the most un-DT sounding album. To me the album is built up of really great songs and mediocre songs. Lines in the Sand is a top-10 DT song and I still think Hell's Kitchen is their best instrumental.

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #184 on: Today at 07:19:19 AM »
I’m always surprised by the backlash both Take Away My Pain and Anna Lee seem to get, while songs like TALW from 8V or Wither don’t appear to get similar scrutiny and are substantially inferior to the two FII ballads in my mind. I actually love those two ballads - the feel, lyrics and subject matter makes them quite beautiful and haunting at times, and I think they are often easily dismissed. Anna Lee in particular, was always a stunning track in my mind. It’s up there with Disappear and Wait for Sleep as one of my favourite very simple, yet memorable DT ballads.

Online krands85

« Reply #185 on: Today at 08:32:57 AM »
I’m always surprised by the backlash both Take Away My Pain and Anna Lee seem to get, while songs like TALW from 8V or Wither don’t appear to get similar scrutiny and are substantially inferior to the two FII ballads in my mind. I actually love those two ballads - the feel, lyrics and subject matter makes them quite beautiful and haunting at times, and I think they are often easily dismissed. Anna Lee in particular, was always a stunning track in my mind. It’s up there with Disappear and Wait for Sleep as one of my favourite very simple, yet memorable DT ballads.
I've never been much of a ballad man, but I also quite like these two.

As for the album as a whole, Trial of Tears and Lines in the sand are fantastic, plus Hells Kitchen is a great instrumental. Then you have a few average tracks which are decent enough, but then also the trio of You Not Me, Burning My Soul and Just Let Me Breathe which really drag the album down. They're 3 of my least favourite DT tracks and I'd rank the album higher if they were replaced by a couple of better songs.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #186 on: Today at 08:36:03 AM »

I think most of the b-sides from that time are incredibly strong. The FII period was certainly a very creative time and they yielded lots of amazing songs. I only find Raise The Knife to be weaker than the rest and that's mainly because the vocal melody sounds unfinished/weak.

Despite the somewhat-petty lyrics, I find Raise the Knife to be a very strong song.