Author Topic: Hamlet  (Read 3246 times)

Offline ohgar

• Wha?
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
Hamlet
« on: July 01, 2012, 12:05:39 PM »
What's the best film adaptation? I've seen the worst one (MST3K riffed on it; it was made for German TV).
Iam pridem, ex quo suffragia nulli vendimus, effudit curas; nam qui dabat olim imperium, fasces, legiones, omnia, nunc se continet atque duas tantum res anxius optat, panem et circenses.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
Re: Hamlet
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 12:27:43 PM »
I was under the impression the 1996 one is the best.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline alirocker08

• Apparently not a hobbit
  • 'Sup, I'm a very short elf
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 12:47:57 PM »
The BBC version was really good, it had most of the actors from the RSC show, David Tennant and all that lot, I don't know if you can buy it/stream it though
ITT: We discover that Alice is elvish...
Psshh, your status as a hobbit has just been a cover. Your cover has been blown.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 12:56:46 PM »
I'm in a Shakespeare class right now, but we didn't do Hamlet because it's a 6 week class and it would take up way too much time....
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 02:16:54 PM »
Definitely the Kenneth Branagh adaptation.
Brave
Murder
Day

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 02:42:15 PM »
You have to see them all.  Between Gibson, Olivier, Brannagh and the BBC version, they're all different to the point of being nearly different stories.  Gibson deals more with the Oedipal aspect.  Brannagh's adaptation is nice, with some great casting choices, and his portrayal really comes across as pretty much batshit.  Also, Derick Jacobi is excellent as Claudius.  Olivier does a good job with projecting the ambiguity of Hamlet's mental state.  The BBC adaption is quite good (as most of their Shakespeare works are), with Derick Jacobi as Hamlet and Captain Piccaard as Claudius.  Along with Gibson's, it's the shortest of them. 

If you're already well versed in the story, then you can start with any of them.  Brannagh's is the only unabridged one, so it takes a little more understanding to get into.  If you're not real familiar with the going's on, then I'd start with Mel Gibson's. 

As for my favorite, I'd probably go with Brannagh's.  The man's just got a good understanding of it all.  Plus, some of the casting choices are pretty interesting.  Heston as the player king was inspired.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 03:40:00 PM »
Because Brannagh's is the only unabridged one (thanks, I was trying to think of the right word), it's the only one that really feels like a filmed version of the play.  The others all feel like adaptations.  Okay, they're all film adaptations, but when someone takes it upon themselves to edit Shakespeare, it automatically goes down at least one notch for me.  Brannagh seemed like he really wanted to be true to the original text, not just present "his version" of the story.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 03:51:42 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, Hamlet is often abridged for the stage.  I don't think many companies put on the entire three and a half hour production.  And truth be told, it's hard enough to follow the language nowadays.  Knocking a superfluous hour off of it doesn't trouble me too much. 

Also, the BBC version is unabridged, as well. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 05:12:23 PM »
The BBC version was really good, it had most of the actors from the RSC show, David Tennant and all that lot, I don't know if you can buy it/stream it though
THIS!

Fantastic adaptation, in my opinion. Patrick Stewart is good, but Tennant steals the show as Hamlet. Really brings out the humour in the character, and makes him so relatable.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 05:13:04 PM »
Wasn't the BBC version originally a miniseries, though?  Not that it makes that much difference, I guess.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 09:13:13 PM »
THIS!

Fantastic adaptation, in my opinion. Patrick Stewart is good, but Tennant steals the show as Hamlet. Really brings out the humour in the character, and makes him so relatable.
Y'all are talking about a new BBC production.  I'm only familiar with the earlier version from the BBC's complete Shakespeare series.  It was Patrick Stewart's first turn as Claudius, and Derek Jacobi played Hamlet.  I did see some snippets of the David Tennant version, and he looked pretty solid.  I seem to recall it was a contemporary adaptation, though, and those always blow it for me. 

E.F. Benson

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 12:16:59 AM »
Yeah I'm not familiar with the older one actually, but I love Derek Jacobi so I should probably check it out.

And yes, the RSC/Tennant one is a contemporary adaptation, but it's pretty inobtrusive. The whole set is very simple, as it's simply a televisation of the stage production that they did around the country.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline alirocker08

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 12:21:08 AM »
Wasn't the BBC version originally a miniseries, though?  Not that it makes that much difference, I guess.

I know BBC did some Shakespeares as a miniseries- Taming of the Shrew, Macbeth, ones like that, as contemporary shows, but the Hamlet one was the full production from the stage shown on Boxing Day. Grandma got to see the stage show, lucky cow.
Psshh, your status as a hobbit has just been a cover. Your cover has been blown.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 12:25:48 AM »
Yeah I know some people who went to see it as well, but hey at least we have a televised performance so we're not missing out!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 01:33:23 AM »
Anybody want to mention the Ethan Hawke version?

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2012, 01:48:00 AM »
Damn it, I've missed you, Ohgar. You bring a certain amount of culture to the board that no one else seems to be able to. It's like you bring balance to the Force.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2012, 04:49:56 AM »
The best I've seen is the Branagh version, and I doubt it will be topped.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline alirocker08

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2012, 11:27:14 AM »
Yeah I know some people who went to see it as well, but hey at least we have a televised performance so we're not missing out!

It was pretty amazing! First Shakespeare performance to make me well up!

The best I've seen is the Branagh version, and I doubt it will be topped.
David Tenant in a muscle shirt. Get it seen.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2012, 02:57:56 PM »
As fine as the production was, I think the biggest problem with Brannagh's Hamlet was Brannagh as Hamlet.  I think his lunacy was a bit over the top.  To me, part of the interest in the character is the ambiguity of his mental state.  The best portrayals have walked a line between crazy and angry acting crazy, so you're never entirely sure where his footing is.  Brannagh just plays him as completely nuts.  I'd still recommend his movie, but his portrayal is probably my least favorite.   
E.F. Benson

Offline masterthes

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2012, 03:24:57 PM »
Yeah, he definitely seemed a tad overdoing it, but I still love it. Kate Winslet was hot as Ophelia