Poll

Which band do you like better?

Iron Maiden
36 (51.4%)
Opeth
34 (48.6%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Voting closed: July 02, 2012, 02:16:19 PM

Author Topic: Battle of the Bands Volume 13: Iron Maiden vs Opeth  (Read 12960 times)

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
Re: Battle of the Bands Volume 13: Iron Maiden vs Opeth
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2012, 11:32:00 PM »
*ahem*

floydie left out Death Whispered a Lullaby from the non-growlie list, so I'm taking the liberty to recommend it. :D

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2012, 11:40:17 PM »
*snip*

Thanks for the time, bf. I'll peruse this list thoroughly in the coming days and I'll report back later.

As for right now, I listened to Harlequin Forest because you felt it was good enough for me to listen to in spite of the growls. On the whole, it was very cool. The last four minutes or so were lost on me, but everything before that rocked. As for the section with growls between the introduction and the acoustic middle part, I was generally okay with it because I felt the growls suited the music and didn't try to sound overly evil or aggressive. I'd give it a B. :tup

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2012, 11:51:47 PM »
Thanks a lot for the suggestions! I will definitely check out the albums and tracks you suggested and report back  ;D
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2012, 12:01:44 AM »
*ahem*

floydie left out Death Whispered a Lullaby from the non-growlie list, so I'm taking the liberty to recommend it. :D

I intentionally left out all Damnation tracks from that list cuz I mentioned it as a whole right after it. Death Whispered a Lullaby is probably in my top half of tracks from that album though :tup

*snip*

Thanks for the time, bf. I'll peruse this list thoroughly in the coming days and I'll report back later.

As for right now, I listened to Harlequin Forest because you felt it was good enough for me to listen to in spite of the growls. On the whole, it was very cool. The last four minutes or so were lost on me, but everything before that rocked. As for the section with growls between the introduction and the acoustic middle part, I was generally okay with it because I felt the growls suited the music and didn't try to sound overly evil or aggressive. I'd give it a B. :tup

I agree. The outro is a little tedious in its repetition but I feared mentioning that would deter your willingness to try it. Glad you liked it :metal If you feel you wanna hear more tracks that have that kick-ass vibe of Harlequin Forest and can tolerate small doses of growls I'll gladly keep the recommendations coming.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions! I will definitely check out the albums and tracks you suggested and report back  ;D

Looking forward to it pal :)
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2012, 12:03:38 AM »
*ahem*

I intentionally left out all Damnation tracks from that list cuz I mentioned it as a whole right after it. Death Whispered a Lullaby is probably in my top half of tracks from that album though :tup

Oh - my bad.  Just thought I'd throw in my .02 anyways. :)

It did take me a while to get used to Damnation, as I became a fan of the growlies kinda right away. :lol

• DT.net Member
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2012, 12:19:16 AM »
No prob bob. I fucking hated Damnation for several months after it cam out but it was awesome once it broke through.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2012, 12:20:51 AM »
T'was a grower for me too - listened to it once, only liked Windowpane and didn't think twice about it.  Until Windowpane burrowed its way into my head. :lol   Was a forgone conclusion after that.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2012, 12:44:21 AM »
Opeth by miles. I tried getting into Maiden a few years ago, but their music is just too repetitive and uninteresting for me.

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2012, 01:08:16 AM »
My favorite band, Opeth.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2012, 01:19:06 AM »
Iron Maiden. I like individual Opeth songs, but making it through an album just is not possible.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2012, 01:25:26 AM »
Iron Maiden. I like individual Opeth songs, but making it through an album just is not possible.

I succeed in this endeavor pretty regularly.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2012, 01:30:28 AM »

I don't know, haha. They're really a band I can only take in small doses I guess.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2012, 01:34:01 AM »

As do I.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2012, 01:40:47 AM »

I don't know, haha. They're really a band I can only take in small doses I guess.

I hear ya man. I'm like that with numerous bands myself but if you tell me what you specifically dislike about Opeth I'll gladly mention a few songs for you to try out so that we can remove the laborious nature of full-album listen-throughs from the equation.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2012, 06:49:34 AM »
Opeth... even after Heritage.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2012, 07:38:27 AM »
I love Maiden, while I like Opeth a lot but not enough to make this even close.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2012, 08:20:48 AM »
Mmm, one I can listen to and one I can't.

Maiden by a mile.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2012, 08:33:01 AM »
Iron Maiden. They've both, at times, been my favorite band, but Maiden wins this one on the strength of their 80s work, and their post reunion work isn't too shabby either. Hell, I was going to write a long discourse explaining it, but fuck that. It's fucking Iron Maiden.  :metal
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2012, 09:09:20 AM »
Blackwater Park beats any Maiden album  :)

Offline rogerdil

« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2012, 10:22:09 AM »
I only enjoy a few albums by each, but of those albums I enjoy Opeth more; plus haven't bought a new Maiden album since Powerslave (as opposed to Ghost Reveries for Opeth).

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2012, 10:52:03 AM »
Even though I lost my interest I still love Opeth. Their older albums are absolutely amazing. Never tired of listening. Iron Maiden has some cool songs but mostly because Bruce's irritating voice I don't listen them very much. To be honest, I've never cared their newer stuff.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2012, 11:11:15 AM »
Bruce's voice is irritating, but Akerfedt's is not? Wut!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2012, 11:12:17 AM »
Personal taste, I guess.  :lol
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2012, 11:29:24 AM »
Personal taste, I guess.  :lol
Up until this point you have shown impeccable taste.  :)
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline adace

« Reply #60 on: July 01, 2012, 02:15:27 PM »
Opeth, but IM are pretty darn close.

« Reply #61 on: July 01, 2012, 03:11:23 PM »
One of these bands is melodic. The other is not. That's the deciding factor for me.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #62 on: July 01, 2012, 03:13:47 PM »
One of these bands is melodic. The other is not. That's the deciding factor for me.

umm... which one?
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #63 on: July 01, 2012, 03:20:20 PM »

Both bands are absurdly melodic. People are really shitty at expressing their opinions without hyperbole in this thread.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2012, 03:26:23 PM »
I can see what he means by saying IM is more melodic.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

• DT.net Member
« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2012, 03:30:11 PM »
I can see what he means by saying IM is more melodic.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #66 on: July 01, 2012, 03:37:54 PM »
Well, yeah, that's an overstatement, clearly. But I agree with the sentiment that IM is more melodic than Opeth. Not that that's better - if anything, I think IM is too melodic with not enough sustenance in the other areas of music.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

• DT.net Member
« Reply #67 on: July 01, 2012, 03:47:00 PM »
IM has a greater percentage of their material centered around melodic motifs but they tend to really use the diatonic 3rd harmony thing to an extent that it makes their melodic body of work less varied than Opeth's since their (Opeth's) music sounds a little more more varied concerning keys as well as things like their extensive use of acoustic guitars and also they had a lot of counterpoint harmonies in their earlier work which generally gives the melodic component more variation and level of intrigue.

I think the people giving Opeth shit about lacking melody have probably listened to a very small handful of songs from them, heard growls and br00tal riffs, and formed a quick and biased opinion about 'em.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #68 on: July 01, 2012, 03:50:53 PM »
The issue of "melody" isn't specific to this thread, so try not to get too upset about the misuse of the term. Often on DTF, people say that a piece "does not have melody" when they mean to say that it "isn't as melodic as other types of music" or that it "has a melody that isn't very good or catchy". It's incorrect but widespread.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #69 on: July 01, 2012, 03:52:49 PM »
My brother is a big Opeth fan and I've heard plenty to base a solid opinion. I think they're mostly boring. The songs have a formula which I cannot get into. I do like a couple songs off Watershed, but I rarely want to listen to them. Iron Maiden may have a formula, but the songs are catchy and singalongable and just more exciting. That is, their 80s work mostly. Not to say they don't have their fair share of crap songs though.