Author Topic: Tour de France 2012  (Read 4897 times)

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
Re: Tour de France 2012
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2012, 08:03:10 AM »
Cav just schooled that guy in the intermediate sprint, and scolded him for getting in his way.  That was classic.

Offline jsem

« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2012, 09:50:25 AM »
Kenny van Hummel did NOTHING wrong in that sprint. Cav tried to steal his wheel and failed, but won the sprint anyway because he's class.

As for the stage, Sagan was expected... but boring. No one attacked cept Chavanel even though the stage had potential for much more.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2012, 04:54:22 AM »
Bit boring for what it could've been, yes. Today will be Cavendish all the way. Maybe the wind will play its part in todays stage, but I don't think we'll see anything unexpected.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline jsem

« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2012, 04:57:37 AM »
Watching Tour of Austria now... epic stage. Di Luca is race leader and Radioshack and BMC broke the peloton into pieces early in the stage, they just passed the first climb, profile as such:

edit: Jakob Fuglsang won the stage in big style, he attacked early on the first big mountain. Showed Bruynell he shouldn't have excluded him from the Tour squad.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 07:07:45 AM by jsem »

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2012, 07:08:09 AM »
My father watches it when it's on, and my grandfather is VERY into cycling. As I'm usually at my father's house in early/mid July, I often end up seeing a bit of it.

Compared to most sports, I find it watchable. It's interesting just seeing the flow of things from the helicoptercams.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline jsem

« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2012, 12:21:47 PM »
I want Alberto back. Froome raced like a boss though, went from total nobody to total star in last year's Vuelta. This is like a repeat of that, and if he can do a godly TT again - who knows if he actually doesn't steal the thunder from Wiggo.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2012, 12:33:22 PM »
I want Alberto back. Froome raced like a boss though, went from total nobody to total star in last year's Vuelta. This is like a repeat of that, and if he can do a godly TT again - who knows if he actually doesn't steal the thunder from Wiggo.
It was cool to see him just accelerate without a response from Cadel. I knew Wiggins would have tried to stay on Cadel's wheel regardless of what he did.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline jsem

« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2012, 01:57:26 PM »
He (Wiggins) is a wheelsucker in nature. Cadel was too, and when he stopped wheelsucking he started winning races.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 02:55:36 PM by jsem »

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2012, 02:36:45 PM »
Cool for Froome! But Evans and Wiggins are the two only contestants left really. And I can only see Cadel winning the tour, but perhaps this tour is settled by the time trials, giving Wiggins a better chance.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0

Offline jsem

« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2012, 02:56:26 PM »
Well, since there will be few decisive mountain stages, it's probably Wiggo's to lose. I'm hoping for showtime in the various descents in this year's tour, and Menchov sneaking up in the TT..

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2012, 12:13:35 AM »
This is gonna be great, if Wiggins and Evans are roughly equal in both the mountains and the time trials.  Although Wiggins looked like he wasn't pushed to the edge in stage 7, while Evans was really digging in.  I know Evans always looks like he's suffering though.  Hard to say, but I'm really looking forward to the first full time trial now!

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2012, 12:02:16 PM »
Wow! I didn't expect Cadel to try to get those 10 seconds back on Wiggins in the last few flat kilometers! Also not because his team isn't as strong to lead the entire peleton like Sky is.

Offline jsem

« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2012, 12:09:54 PM »
Pretty exciting for me as a Swede with Pinot chasing Kessiakoff. He was cooked by the end of that climb..

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2012, 05:08:41 AM »
Apparently Preudhomme said that this will be the toughest climb in all of TdF history.

Tougher than Alpe Dhuez? Mont Venoux? Galibier? Iseran? Izoard?

Count me in, it's gonna be great today!

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2012, 06:06:08 AM »
I foresee a big spike in the number of cyclists sporting the porkchop sideburns, and aero helmets without pointy tails.

Offline jsem

« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2012, 02:42:40 PM »
Except today wasn't too good. Hoping Col tomorrow does more damage though, it should. UK Postal make it so boring.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2012, 04:24:34 PM »
Tomorrow's stage looks rather rough. I'm hoping we can get some attacks from people who are in the Top 20 chasing Wiggins in the overall classification. Everyone has been following Wiggins and Cadel the entire time, so it would be nice to see some attacks going. And there is an exception for Nibali and Van der Broeck since they both launched attacks on today's HC climb.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2012, 05:52:58 PM »

Offline jsem

« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2012, 04:54:53 PM »
Froome is being kept on a leash by Sky. He's clearly the strongest rider in this tour, SUCH a shame he punctured on one of the early stages. I almost hope something happens to Wiggo that allows Froome to ride for himself and take the victory now.

Also, Kessiakoff is a highlight of this tour because I'm a Swede. I was doubtful of him coming to the tour because of his questionable climbing shape recently, even though he won the TT in Suisse ahead of Cancellara. I wanted him to go to Austria and defend his win there, but the polka dot is better if he can keep it til Paris.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2012, 05:44:07 PM »
Froome attacked today and left Wiggins in the dust. I can't agree with you more, he definitely is one of the strongest riders. He could have taken the yellow jersey if Sky didn't radio in to him and told him to wait on Wiggins.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2012, 06:15:33 PM »
It's sort of like when LeMond worked for Hinault in the 80s.

I would love to see one of these guys just pull out their earpiece and just go for it, rather than listen to their paymasters.  If you're Froome it's not like you're going to have a problem finding another team, even if the one you're on fires you.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2012, 06:47:55 PM »
It's sort of like when LeMond worked for Hinault in the 80s.

I would love to see one of these guys just pull out their earpiece and just go for it, rather than listen to their paymasters.  If you're Froome it's not like you're going to have a problem finding another team, even if the one you're on fires you.
That would be so awesome for the moment. Not so much afterwards.  :lol

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2012, 09:33:42 AM »
tacks on the road!  I wonder which idiot decided to do that...

Offline jsem

« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2012, 03:14:03 PM »
Tacks.. that was horrible. And Rolland, lol.

Meanwhile, the Vuelta is looking even more awesome day by day.  Cobo defending his title, Froome in top form, Purito who has never TT'ed better, Alberto coming back, Andy back from injury.

Offline jsem

« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2012, 04:24:50 PM »
Well, Frank Schleck's positive test result is a hilarity in and of itself.

And Sky dominance couldn't be more boring.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: July 19, 2012, 03:54:27 AM »
Well, I really hope for Nibali today. He appeared to be much stronger

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2012, 05:33:48 AM »
well, I'm off to Paris in a few hours.  will be there for the final stage!

Offline jsem

« Reply #62 on: July 19, 2012, 02:06:01 PM »
Froome vs Contador in La Vuelta. It's going to own.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2012, 08:19:45 PM »
Finally back from Paris.  Saw them all up close on the loop (all 8 times or so) between the Jardin Tulieries and the Seine, and was able to walk over and see the sprint down the Champs d'Elysees as well from the Place de la Concorde (forgive all my spelling, I"m not French.)  It was a great thing to finally see it in person after watching on tv all these years.

The whooshing sound and feel of the rushing air from the peloton is something I will remember, as will almost getting hit by a water bottle that one of the riders threw to the side.  The sunburn was worth it.