Author Topic: Tour de France 2012  (Read 4896 times)

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
Tour de France 2012
« on: June 28, 2012, 02:29:33 PM »
Anyone else interested into cycling? I'm looking forward to the tour starting again. I will have a week off upcoming week so it's perfect timing  :millahhhh.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
Re: Tour de France 2012
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 02:39:21 PM »
My dad is really into cycling (I think he's about to go for a ride actually), so because of this I too am into cycling. I'm not a die hard fan or anything, but I follow the Tour every year. It can definitely be very exciting at times, and I really enjoy talking about it with my pops. Good times all around.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 02:39:55 PM »
My dad and I are REALLY into cycling. We're both fans of the Radioshack-Nissan Team/Shleck Brothers.

It's too bad Andy is out of the tour, because it's always awesome to see Frank and Andy race together.

It was also such a close call of Frank coming so close to Rui Costa in the Tour de Swiss. He definitely should have been able to have a larger output on those final two stages in the mountains.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 03:05:45 PM by ResultsMayVary »
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline jsem

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 02:53:24 PM »
Love cycling with a passion, but tbh this season has sucked. Boonen's 50KM solo win in Roubaix, Voeckler's 35KM solo win in Brabantse Pijl, a Giro where no one dared to attack because of a backloaded route. Dull classics season. Albasini winning a major one week stage race!? Wiggo winning TT's to win stage races.

I don't have much faith that the Tour is going to save the boringness of this season so much. Tour parcours this year are bland, not enough REAL mountains. It's set up for Wiggo, who might be the most boring cyclist in the peloton.

And about Andy. Never liked his attitude. He only cares about the Tour, treats other races like crap. Maybe he can go the Vuelta now and complete the feat of 2nd place finishes in all 3 GTs. Because there's NO WAY he'll beat Alberto in the Vuelta. Constantly whining about this and that, he should grow some balls and win some stage races throughout the year, be a factor in other races that Ardennes and the Tour. I've liked Andy in about two settings, Giro 07 and the Tour last year with the epic Galibier stage. If only Andy would race that way more often.

And considering RSNT - there's only a few cyclists in that team I like. Cancellara, Zaugg, Gallopin, Nizzolo, Horner and Voigt. Bruynell is an archdouche by the way. Consider me not a fan of them.

To the actual race:
I'm hoping for Samuel Sanchez, but I think Wiggins will win.

And this is not my favorite time of the year, the Classics season is, by far. Giro also ranks ahead of the Tour for me.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 03:05:09 PM »
I love to cycle myself, but I never really followed professional cycling. I did watch some odd Tour de France stuff over the years, but mostly because I had nothing better to do.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline jsem

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 03:11:40 PM »
The best race of the year is always Paris-Roubaix though. Watch it next spring, you'll be blown away. If you don't have coverage, there are streams.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 03:12:36 PM »
I'll keep that in mind for then.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 03:30:19 PM »
Love the Tour. My favorite cyclist, Robbie McEwen, has finally announced his retirement, though, so I have to find a new sprinter to root for.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 03:54:41 PM »
The best race of the year is always Paris-Roubaix though. Watch it next spring, you'll be blown away. If you don't have coverage, there are streams.
NBC Sports (formerly Versus) in the U.S. covers it (or at least they did this year).

Offline jsem

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2012, 04:22:46 AM »
Phil & Paul then I presume. Consider me a hater. British Eurosport isn't much better, but at least they have Sean Kelly as a commentator.

Let's hope someone attacks this Tour though. Sagan to completely own the first week btw.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2012, 05:36:38 AM »
over under on riders busted for some kind of doping is +17

see your local booky for details
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2012, 07:28:29 AM »
I hear you on the boring season so far Jsem, really bland. And the parcours is indeed set up for guys like Wiggans, not enough mountains or difficult time trials to really see who's the best. In the end the one who makes the least mistakes will win.

Will be watching though, I love the entire Tour atmosphere.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2012, 08:56:08 PM »
The prologue starts tomorrow in Belgium. I'm ready to get this show going!  :corn

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2012, 01:51:33 PM »
Soooooo. What'd'you guys think?
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0

Offline jsem

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2012, 03:10:45 AM »
Cancellara was not suprising, but a pan flat prologue in Liege is a waste.

Sagan's going to win today.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2012, 04:36:44 AM »
Cancellara was not suprising, but a pan flat prologue in Liege is a waste.

Sagan's going to win today.

Sagan yeah? Not Rojas, or Gilbert, or Canellara himself, or Boasson Hagen, or, or?

Offline jsem

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2012, 04:47:01 AM »
Nah. Tour de Sagan man.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2012, 05:01:46 AM »
We'll see, I think he's good, but the first stage of a tour is always a difficult race, you need a lot of experience with all those nerves.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2012, 08:18:49 AM »
I agree that without Contador or Schleck, it will be less interesting.  I also think Evans is getting too old to contend.  So Wiggins is the overwhelming favorite.  But you never know when some young rider is going to come out of the woodwork.  Tejay is looking good, for us Yanks.

While classics often have the more aggressive and exciting racing, you can't match the big stage races for drama.  It's like a story with chapters.  Last year's edition was great drama, with not knowing who was going to be able to keep up on which day, and Voeckler's heroics.

Give me Le Tour any year over the others.

By the way, watching both on Eurosport and Versus (or whatever it's being called now), Phil Liggett adds so much to the viewers experience.  He is worth everything they pay him, they should pay him as much as they pay the riders if you ask me.

Offline jsem

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2012, 10:40:42 AM »
Last year sucked, except for the last few days. But people seem to forget that stuff in the end. They say "what a great GT" because of drama in the last few days - but that's forgetting that the first two weeks were a total snoozefest.

Also, Sagan - bossed that. Even though Cancellara was the strongest, Sagan has the kick to win these things.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2012, 01:39:23 PM »
Today's stage was very cool. I didn't expect Cancellara to still be up with the leaders of peloton, let alone attacking and trying to take the stage win. It was really simple for Sagan to get the win after Cancellara did all the work up the climb and Hagen trying to bridge the gap between the peloton and Cancellara/Sagan.

Offline jsem

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2012, 02:57:53 PM »
Stage 2 to be a total snoozefest with Greipel taking a win. Only the last 10km are going to be worth watching probably.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2012, 03:13:52 PM »
Stage 2 to be a total snoozefest with Greipel taking a win. Only the last 10km are going to be worth watching probably.
Yea, I couldn't agree more. The stage is just so god damn flat. One category 4 climb and it really shouldn't even be classified as a climb. lol.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2012, 04:15:29 PM »
I don't understand why Cancellara didn't just time-trial it all the way to the finish line.  it shouldn't have come down to any kind of sprint.  pushing the pace is his specialty.

entertaining finish, to be sure.

the Tour is as much to me about the whole experience, and the gorgeous scenery, as it is about who's in yellow or green.  so I don't think any of the Tours are boring.  some are just more exciting than others.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2012, 04:35:11 PM »
the Tour is as much to me about the whole experience, and the gorgeous scenery, as it is about who's in yellow or green.  so I don't think any of the Tours are boring.  some are just more exciting than others.
I also couldn't agree more. Tomorrow stage is flat and I already expressed my opinion on that, but the majority of the time it will be dominated by Belgium's fields. It really gets beautiful, in terms of scenery, in the Alps, Pyrennes, and in southern France.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2012, 01:44:54 AM »
Yea, I couldn't agree more. The stage is just so god damn flat. One category 4 climb and it really shouldn't even be classified as a climb. lol.

Let's see if Greipel takes the cake. I haven't watched any mass-sprints this season. In my memory based on last year Cavendish is still the man to beat.

Offline jsem

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2012, 05:09:00 AM »
Cav has lost weight after the Giro, he won a stage race in Holland - with one stage in the Ardennes - but he didn't win a single stage. He lost  to Kittel in a bunch sprint and Greipel in another bunch sprint.

I think he's lost a bit of explosiveness. But he can get to the sprints in better condition and he's still a master at positioning - so he's going to win a few stages - but a few harder ones with more climbs I think. But if it's pancake flat, there's other guys - like Greipel and Kittel. And he has Goss to worry about on a harder stage.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2012, 06:21:03 AM »
Cavendish also doesn't have his HTC High Road lead out train anymore since Team Sky is dedicated to Wiggins' GC bid.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2012, 08:53:34 AM »
It's in some respects more exciting when there's not one sprinter who's so dominant as Cavendish the last few years.  I feel bad for him that he isn't getting the same support this year, but I guess we'll see what he's made of.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2012, 12:43:43 PM »
Cavendish really gave a great effort today. He earned that stage win!

Offline jsem

« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2012, 12:58:56 PM »
Yeah. He positioned himself on his own, and he had the kick to beat Greipel. Greipel had to go a bit too early though because of the headwind but Cav was placed perfectly.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2012, 01:53:02 AM »
Today? Sagan is the man to beat, no doubt about that, although the climb looks a bit steeper than sunday.

Offline jsem

« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2012, 03:20:04 AM »
Gilbert needs to be better positioned today, it's steeper too so he has a MUCH better shot at winning.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2012, 03:25:35 AM »
Gilbert needs to be better positioned today, it's steeper too so he has a MUCH better shot at winning.

Yeah, Gilbert did a great job sunday. And Mollema nearly won the sprint, and since it's steeper today I can imagine he'll do something beautiful too. But it depends on what the peleton does, if it all explodes at the bottom of the clim, you'll see a lot more (semi-)climbers (even Evans, Wiggins, Rolland, Voeckler?), but it could be more controlled with a nice sprint, for guys like Hagen, Gilbert and Sagan.

Offline jsem

« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2012, 03:43:29 AM »
Gilbert was caught behind in the crash earlier, so he was quite far back and was in the red trying to position himself before the climb. If BMC can put a guy with him to keep him out of danger, would be better.

edit: Gilbert isn't feeling too good, headache... If it weren't for the Tour he would've dropped out already. Sux
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 06:33:44 AM by jsem »