Author Topic: matt1722's Top 10 Albums v. Who is this guy . . . And why can't he count to 50?  (Read 12315 times)

Offline matt1722

• DTF.org Alumni
Alright, hello everyone, so it's my turn to list my top 50 albums so naturally I've decided to list my top 10. To be honest "time just slipped away" (huh . . .huh anything?) and with the constant influx of new music my top 50's been a bit all over the place, but, my top 10 has not changed all that much. . . So without anymore stalling or anything of that sort here we go.

10. Marilyn Manson - Eat Me, Drink Me (2007)

What can one really say about Marilyn Manson? Well you could probably say a lot based on whatever side of the fence you are on, the same goes for Eat Me, Drink Me, Manson fans, or at least the ones I have seen either seem to love or hate this album. Whatever you think of the album though, there can be no doubting that this is by far MM's most personal album, it deals mostly with relationships and the good and bad times that come with them. That shock rock God that we saw way back in 2003 with The Golden Age Of Grotesque is not all gone, instead though he seems to be focusing more now then ever on the music, and what comes from this is IMO a truly personal album, with both beautiful and ugly parts. When I say ugly I don't mean bad far from it, I'm talking about raw human emotion and the product of it.

All this talk about emotion lies mostly within the lyrics, there are bands that manage to transcend lyrics and put a lot of emotion in just their music alone, (ex: Explosions In The Sky, Godspeed You! Black Emperor) I don't know if you could say that Marilyn Manson is one of them, but they do know how to make a good Industrial Metal album, this album is both heavy and dark at times and features some pretty cool guitar solos from Tim Skold. This is another thing that makes Eat Me, Drink Me stand out from the rest of the Manson catalog. It seems to focus on Instrumentation a bit more then some of the other albums, where as most of the albums pre EMDM were a bit more on the Industrial Metal side, this one keeps that while adding more of a Goth Rock/Rock sound.

With this album Marilyn Manson is able to attract that angsty teenager in all of us, (and yes I technically am still one. :P) but manages to do this in a somewhat serious mature (mostly) way, that shows every side of human emotion. I suppose I really can't say too much more about this album without repeating my self more then I probably already have, but I do think that this album could appeal to both new and old Manson fans. I was a longtime fan when this album came out and as you can see I'm somewhat found of it, obviously it won't be everyone's cup of tea, but what album ever is?

Recommended Tracks: "If I Was Your Vampire," "Putting Hole's In Happiness," "Heart Shaped Glasses (When The Heart Guides The Hand)," "Are You The Rabbit?"
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 08:26:27 AM by matt1722 »

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
You're off to a (imho) bad start, but I'll be following :tup

Nah, tbh, I was never really bothered in checking him out, but my sister's ex-boyfriend and his friends used to listen to this stuff a lot so I heard some of it. It didn't really appeal to me, but that was a couple of years ago.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Is it because you only have 10 fingers?

Following
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Woohoo! Great to see some love for MM here. Eat Me Drink Me is good, though I prefer Mechanical Animals and Holy Wood.  :tup
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline matt1722

• DTF.org Alumni
@Elite

Yeah I knew I might be getting into some hot water bringing up Manson first but I'm brave haha. and don't worry I know I have at least one band on the list that I'm sure you'll like  ;)

@Nekov

That might be true, but by that logic I should be able to count to 20 you know cause of my toesies.

@Scorpion
Love MA and Holy Wood too, Manson hasn't put out a bad album if you ask me.

Thanks for they reply's and following guys.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker

@Nekov

That might be true, but by that logic I should be able to count to 20 you know cause of my toesies.

And to 21 in the shower?

Offline matt1722

• DTF.org Alumni

@Nekov

And to 21 in the shower?

:rollin

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
I'll follow, Matt

Offline matt1722

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline senecadawg2

I don't care for Marilyn Manson, but I will follow nonetheless!
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
@Elite
and don't worry I know I have at least one band on the list that I'm sure you'll like  ;)

Good :) as said, I'll be following regardless.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline matt1722

• DTF.org Alumni
9. Green Day - American Idiot (2004)

Jesus . . .what am I doing here, no in all reality I love this album, it was one of if not the first album that I ever really got, this is one of the reasons that it's special to me. I really would not hesitate to say that American Idiot was the biggest album of 2004, you could not turn on the radio or the TV (yes MTV was still playing music videos back then . . .you know for like an hour or two) without hearing a song off this album. It was sorta popular is what I'm trying to get across here. But that's not why I liked it, I liked it because, well because it's a damn good album. There's a really cool story here, and in all honesty this was a pre cursor to prog rock for me.

"But Matt, what are you talking about? Green day is not prog, there a punk band, Fuck even that's debatable"

I would not call Green day Progressive, but at the time this album came out, "Jesus of Suburbia," and "Homecoming" were like the longest song's I knew both clocking in at around 9 whopping minutes of course at that time I did not know of the Majesty of bands like Dream Theater. (come on I'm giving you guy's gold here)

Like I said earlier though, there's a story going on here, this was really my first concept album and mind you I bought this album way before I had an iPod, I had my CD player and maybe 1 or 2 other CD's on hand if I was going somewhere, so this CD got some spins, boy did this CD get some spins. I do still make sure to give this album a spin now and then, relive those middle school moments and bask in the glow of the whole album, not just the songs that everyone heard on the radio. Yes this album really did get me started . . .  it started me on to the thinking that I should be listening to all of the songs on all of the albums not just the radio hits.

Green Day did something important here, they made a really wonderful album that almost anyone could really get into if they really wanted to. This album has been with me since 2004, I've given it countless spins, and I'll give it countless more in the future. I want to thank you guys for putting up with my little nostalgia trip there, it's cool to think about those old middle school day's once in a while.

Recommended Tracks: Like I said I think this album should be listened to as a whole but some of my favorites are "Jesus of Suburbia," and "Homecoming."

Offline senecadawg2

eww.

I have a bad feeling about this list.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
eww.

I have a bad feeling about this list.

That's harsh

Offline senecadawg2

I still look forward to following it and seeing more. It's just that so far he's picked two bands I dislike. On the bright side, it can only get better from here... hopefully

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
American Idiot is a brilliant album. I didn't realize that till a trip down to LA with my bro, and he played the thing in it's entirity. Really hit me deep, I can't wait for the musical to make it back to the Bay.

BTW, Tre is a regular at my restaurant, I'll make sure to tell him that some guy on a prog message board had it at number 9. :P

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
Great album, I enjoy it a lot. However, during a holiday, that was the only CD I had with me and I overplayed it, so I don't listen to it that much anymore, but it's still a very solid record. Letterbomb is the best song off this album, although all are good, except for She's A Rebel and Extraordinary Girl, which kinda fall flat in comparison to the rest.

Offline matt1722

• DTF.org Alumni
So I'll probably be going through the list pretty fast seeing as I can't sleep at the moment, and so we can get on with that looongg list.

8. Haken - Aquarius (2010)

Wow, that's all I should have to say about this album, but I need to express the greatness of this one even more, I think it's important to note that from here on out I consider the albums I'm listing pretty much perfect and completely flawless, (I think I just said the same thing twice) I mean I also considered my last two pretty much perfect but hey it's my top ten  . . . there like my babies, well I mean in a metaphorical kind of way. I like these albums a lot and stuff is the point more or less that I'm trying to get across. (I made a similar joke like that in the last post . . . Live with it :P)

I found out about Haken and Aquarius I'd say around the time Visions came out, and god I wish I would have heard of them sooner, These guy's have not made a bad song, or album IMO. This album is perfect, yes even The growling parts in "The Point of No Return," and "Streams" (I'm one of those Assholes who think they enhance the song, even though I am curious why the Mermaid (it is the Mermaid right) is growling like that.)

I wanted to include Visions in this one because it's just as good if not better then Aquarius I made a comment in the Haken thread that it was going to be hard for the guys to top two God tier albums. Both these albums have everything everything that you would need in a Prog Rock/Metal record, I really can not swear by both these albums enough. . . Check them out !!!

Recommended Tracks: All of them.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Redeemed yourself there :tup. Aquarius is a fantastic album

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
You can never go wrong with Haken.  :tup

Offline senecadawg2

an improvement  :tup

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
First two are both meh. Aquarius is amazing. :tup

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
AQUARIUS  :heart Clocked in pretty high on my own and Visions did even higher. Nice.

I used to listen to American Idiot a lot, the album, until I found better music and I never came back.
Squ

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Manson and Green Day get shitty comments, Haken gets praised to no end. Who would figure that'd happen in a DT forum?

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
I have to say, you started very bad. I hope you recover. Haken doesn't help for me.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
American Idiot! Has this one ever showed up on a DTF top 50?

I've heard the album a few times, and as much as I want to applaud Green Day for being in the public eye and doing a concept album and some 9-minute songs, I just don't like it. I don't know, maybe it was unfair of me to expect Jesus of Suburbia to be anything other than a few shorter, dead-simple tunes pasted together.

The album does have some great songs, though. Wake Me Up When September Ends is spectacular.

• DTF.org Member
I enjoy American Idiot a bit. Just not something I reach for though.

Offline matt1722

• DTF.org Alumni
7. Dream Theater - Images And Words (1992)

I don't think I'll say to much about this one as I'm guessing everyone on this board has heard this one, if your on this forum and you haven't heard it then you should probably rectify that right away. This  is another perfect one from the start of "Pull Me Under" to the end of "Learning To Live" (and Dat F#) there is not a bad moment on this album.

So I think that's all I really have to say, besides that this is an amazing album point blank.

Favorite Tracks: "Metropolis Pt. 1: The Miracle And The Sleeper," "Take The Time," "Learning To Live" . . .Or you know, all of them.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
I&W! My second favourite DT album, and very very good.

Though this might even get less love than Aquarius here, considering the number of people on the forum that don't really enjoy DT anymore.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Who is that band?

And in all seriousness, considering the stuff you put at #10 and #9 I fear for what will top my favourite album of all time in your list.
Squ

Offline matt1722

• DTF.org Alumni
I&W! My second favourite DT album, and very very good.

Though this might even get less love than Aquarius here, considering the number of people on the forum that don't really enjoy DT anymore.

Yeah I thought about that  :lol but I think this album helped us all get here so there's that.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Whatever. I&W is a masterpiece. Fuck the haters. :metal

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Whatever. I&W is a masterpiece. Fuck the haters. :metal

• DTF.org Member
I&W never did it for me like others, but I can definitely see why people would love it so much. :)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
I&W never did it for me like others, but I can definitely see why people would love it so much. :)

Yeah same. I would probably rank it the 5th best DT album or so.