Author Topic: North Carolina tries to pass law that officially bans sea level predictions  (Read 4419 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
https://www.signon.org/sign/north-carolina-stand?source=homepage

I almost wouldn't care, if it wasn't for my own tax money that will be used to rescue and repair the flooded towns.

Seriously, are some states in the union in a race right now to be the most ignorant?

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline senecadawg2

I recently saw this on the Daily Show. To go along with Amendment 1, these past few months have made me utterly ashamed to live in North Carolina  :'(
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
What part of NC? I'm in the Raleigh area.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
I thought you moved out of NC last year or something? 

Yeah, between this, Amendment 1, and Fracking, NC decided it wanted negative national attention, I guess.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
Is this something that has a legitimate possibility of being passed, or is it just some crackpot's bill?
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline PowerSlave

Is this something that has a legitimate possibility of being passed, or is it just some crackpot's bill?

Both?
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

• DT.net Member

Yeah, between this, Amendment 1, and Fracking, NC decided it wanted negative national attention, I guess.

You're correct but I was still weighed down by a car note that had me living check to check at the time when I struck back out on my own. Basically, my temp assignment in NC ended and a "friend" back home lined up a job for me and guaranteed me indefinite free rent until I could get set up in my own place. Only 2 weeks into being back in New Orleans his "partying" got him fired from his job and cost us the house he was renting and I wasn't yet making enough to get everything together on my own. I miraculously got my own apartment a few weeks later but still wasn't making enough money to hold everything together on such short notice and I ended up desperately trying to find the cheapest ways that I could rent by moving in w/various other friends/acquaintances for temporary solutions and eventually turned in the car that was bleeding my wallet. I ended up getting fired from a job I'd been at for 5 months (with perfect attendance) because of oversleeping for a morning shift by two hours because my shitty phone's alarm glitched and never went off. You'd think they would've called me 20 or 30 minutes after my shift's start time to see what's up. After a little over a very tumultuous year's time, my options ran out and I've been back in NC begrudgingly trying to get back home since. I'm very homesick.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Riceball

• It's the economy, stupid.
Ha! That's the most amazing thing I've ever heard. Lets ban scientists from doing science because we don't like science! That's the impression I get, anyway.
I punch those numbers into my calculator and they make a happy face.

A $500 Musical Odyssey: Now accepting nominations

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
That is some of the most powerful stupidity I've ever seen  :omg:

Offline jsem

Feels like this thread title is very misleading. From what I read in that link, no one is banning anything. They're just proposing that city planning not take into account actual data regarding sea level predictions. This equals more permits to be handed out and more cash in their pockets directly.

I don't feel like I need to rant about this though... local politics has enough problems.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
Even ignoring any political motivations behind it, from an engineering perspective it's fucking retarded. Legislating that civil engineers must ignore an environmental hazard is unethical and unsafe.

Feels like this thread title is very misleading. From what I read in that link, no one is banning anything. They're just proposing that city planning not take into account actual data regarding sea level predictions. This equals more permits to be handed out and more cash in their pockets directly.

I don't feel like I need to rant about this though... local politics has enough problems.

I almost wouldn't care, if it wasn't for my own tax money that will be used to rescue and repair the flooded towns.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline jsem

Even ignoring any political motivations behind it, from an engineering perspective it's fucking retarded. Legislating that civil engineers must ignore an environmental hazard is unethical and unsafe.
Not arguing against this. :lol

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa

Offline senecadawg2

What part of NC? I'm in the Raleigh area.

Durham  :smiley:

You're correct but I was still weighed down by a car note that had me living check to check at the time when I struck back out on my own. Basically, my temp assignment in NC ended and a "friend" back home lined up a job for me and guaranteed me indefinite free rent until I could get set up in my own place. Only 2 weeks into being back in New Orleans his "partying" got him fired from his job and cost us the house he was renting and I wasn't yet making enough to get everything together on my own. I miraculously got my own apartment a few weeks later but still wasn't making enough money to hold everything together on such short notice and I ended up desperately trying to find the cheapest ways that I could rent by moving in w/various other friends/acquaintances for temporary solutions and eventually turned in the car that was bleeding my wallet. I ended up getting fired from a job I'd been at for 5 months (with perfect attendance) because of oversleeping for a morning shift by two hours because my shitty phone's alarm glitched and never went off. You'd think they would've called me 20 or 30 minutes after my shift's start time to see what's up. After a little over a very tumultuous year's time, my options ran out and I've been back in NC begrudgingly trying to get back home since. I'm very homesick.

I'm sorry about that. Sounds like a very unfortunate string of events, hopefully things will stabalize for you!
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
^Same here.  I'm in Raleigh as well. 

• DT.net Member
And to think, Mastodon played here the first time I was living here and I've had a Ticketmaster gift card going to waste that would've covered most/all of my ticket's cost.

Sorry for the ongoing derail y'all.