Author Topic: Today's the 25th anniversary of Appetite For Destruction!  (Read 3620 times)

Offline ishak540m

:metal :hat
Share your fond memories of this album.  The local radio station here in Seattle (99.9 KISW) is playing the whole thing right now.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Re: Today's the 25th anniversary of Appetite For Destruction!
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 07:31:12 PM »
Perhaps I'll drink a bottle of Night Train tonight since my last name is Rose anyway.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 02:55:27 AM »
25 years? Now that I think about it, I have known this album for 20 years, and it has thoroughly proven itself to be one of the greatest hard rock album of all time, without question. :tup :tup

I shall celebrate by cranking the album right now. :metal
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 05:23:29 AM »
Fantastic, game-changing album. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jsem

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 05:50:51 AM »
Great album.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 06:33:16 AM »
Great album. Sadly, GnR only went downhill from there.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 08:21:30 AM »
Came out in my freshman year of college, so this is just another reminder that I'm getting old. Thanks bud.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 08:29:26 AM »
Good album but O-V-E-R-R-A-T-E-D.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 09:35:40 AM »
I agree with Hef, and disagree with Kev.  It was a fresh sound, at least in my metal 80's world. 

edit - I disagree with Kev's Overrated part, not the good album part.... ;D
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 09:47:51 AM by CrimsonSunrise »

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2012, 09:38:12 AM »
I hate this album.

Not because it's a bad album, but because it enabled a revolving door band with one of rock's biggest douchebag's at lead to be successful for 25 years to follow.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2012, 11:28:34 AM »
Saw them on this tour!

The Living Room
Providence
October 26, 1987

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2012, 11:42:07 AM »
Um, if this album is overrated, then so is Dark Side of the Moon and any other generally accepted classic. Awesome, top 10 album for me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2012, 11:43:51 AM »
I agree with Hef, and disagree with Kev.  It was a fresh sound, at least in my metal 80's world. 

edit - I disagree with Kev's Overrated part, not the good album part.... ;D

It was fresh, and I did say it is good; it's just not great, IMO.  Axl Rose's vocals hold back too many moments.  Paradise City would be 50 times better if the vocals in that song were even just good (as opposed to terrible).

I hate this album.

Not because it's a bad album, but because it enabled a revolving door band with one of rock's biggest douchebag's at lead to be successful for 25 years to follow.

I can get on board with this, although they had close to a 15-year stretch where they were all but defunct, so I wouldn't exactly call those years a success. 

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2012, 11:46:38 AM »
I do tire of the radio hits on this one, but overall, its a great disc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2012, 11:49:56 AM »
Um, if this album is overrated, then so is Dark Side of the Moon and any other generally accepted classic.

It all depends on your tastes.

Honestly, I think one of the biggest reasons for the massive appeal of this record (and this band) is that it appeals to both men AND women.  Women went nuts over that kind of particular brand of hard rock/hair metal that was so big in the 80s, and for many, Guns N' Roses was the best of the bunch (along with Bon Jovi and Def Leppard).  Don't believe me?  Go to any bar or club where 80s music is played (by a band or deejay) and every time a song by GNR, Bon Jovi, Poison, Def Leppard, etc. is played, the women flock to the dance floor and go crazy. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2012, 12:21:52 PM »
Um, if this album is overrated, then so is Dark Side of the Moon and any other generally accepted classic. 
This is a great point!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2012, 12:49:33 PM »
This is a great point!

Not really, the two albums have absolutely nothing to do with each other aside from being popular. A comment like that boils down to, well it's popular, so it must be overrated! And that is quite rubbish I'd say. /Rich moment.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2012, 12:53:46 PM »

It all depends on your tastes.

Honestly, I think one of the biggest reasons for the massive appeal of this record (and this band) is that it appeals to both men AND women.  Women went nuts over that kind of particular brand of hard rock/hair metal that was so big in the 80s, and for many, Guns N' Roses was the best of the bunch (along with Bon Jovi and Def Leppard).  Don't believe me?  Go to any bar or club where 80s music is played (by a band or deejay) and every time a song by GNR, Bon Jovi, Poison, Def Leppard, etc. is played, the women flock to the dance floor and go crazy.

Hmmmm... I dunno Kev, the "Women" part might be accurate.  The issue I have with the rest of your statement is that at the time, when G&R's came out, they were different than the hair and metal bands.  I'd say a completely different sub-genre.  Yeah, sure they now get lumped into the rest of the "80's Rock bands".  Back then though, they broke away from the "Metal" pack.  Just good hard driving rock and roll.   You Had Glam/Hair metal bands, you had thrash or speed metal, then you had G&R and similar groups like LA Guns.  At the time, it was a welcome break for me from "Typical Metal"

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2012, 12:54:35 PM »
Paradise City would be 50 times better if the vocals in that song were even just good (as opposed to terrible).

I will never understand why so many people think Paradise City has terrible vocals. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2012, 12:18:34 AM »

Hmmmm... I dunno Kev, the "Women" part might be accurate.  The issue I have with the rest of your statement is that at the time, when G&R's came out, they were different than the hair and metal bands.  I'd say a completely different sub-genre.  Yeah, sure they now get lumped into the rest of the "80's Rock bands".  Back then though, they broke away from the "Metal" pack.  Just good hard driving rock and roll.   You Had Glam/Hair metal bands, you had thrash or speed metal, then you had G&R and similar groups like LA Guns.  At the time, it was a welcome break for me from "Typical Metal"

A lot of it was the look.  When Welcome to the Jungle came out, they had the big hair and the look of most of the other hair metal bands, and having cheeseball monster ballads like Sweet Child O' Mine just added to it.  Right or wrong, they are in that hair metal crowd.

Paradise City would be 50 times better if the vocals in that song were even just good (as opposed to terrible).

I will never understand why so many people think Paradise City has terrible vocals.

Axl Rose being the singer has everything to do with it. :lol

I remember when MTV debuted the video for it.  It was a big thing, and I remember the long intro absolutely slaying me at the age of 14.  And then the vocals started, and the song took a quick nosedive.  Biggest tease ever!!!!!! Rose can do certain types of singing okay, but not the kind he did in that song.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2012, 06:49:52 AM »
Well, we're gonna have to agree to disagree Kev  ;D  When I think of the hair metal bands, I think of spandex and make-up.  That was NOT G&R.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2012, 07:35:21 AM »
There's some great stuff on the album, but half is kinda filler for me. I'm more of a UYI guy.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2012, 09:55:14 PM »
I do tire of the radio hits on this one, but overall, its a great disc.

I'm with you on Paradise City, I wouldn't be upset if I never heard that song again.  Love the rest of the album though.

In hindsight, I think it's hilarious that in my neighborhood all the parents let a bunch of 10 year olds get this album, but Iron Maiden albums were completely off limits because they thought IM was vulgar and evil  :lol

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2012, 10:02:10 PM »
Great album. There's only 2 songs I skip. I can't remember their names because well......I skip them.

Also, Rocket Queen is awesome.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2012, 10:14:53 PM »
This is a great point!
I don't really see how this makes sense. One can think Dark Side deserves all the credit it gets but think this album doesn't?

There's some great stuff on the album, but half is kinda filler for me.
This is how I feel.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2012, 06:51:32 AM »
Well, we're gonna have to agree to disagree Kev  ;D  When I think of the hair metal bands, I think of spandex and make-up.  That was NOT G&R.

I think they straddled the two sides pretty well. they certainly used that big hair and makeup look to good effect and rode on the tails of the popular genre of the time (and place of course).

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2012, 08:29:29 PM »
as a GnR fan, i should acknowledge this thread.

:-*

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2012, 08:41:00 PM »
A brilliant album worthy of all the praise it gets. Yes, Axl Rose is a dicksneeze of the highest order, and using the Guns N' Roses name to peddle his new shit music is probably a crime against humanity, but it doesn't make Appetite For Destruction not one of the best albums ever.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Priest of Syrinx

• Feeding my Narpets
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2012, 08:48:59 PM »
1988 Cincinnati Bengals... Riverfront Stadium...Ickey Woods & his shuffle... and WTTJ blares whipping the crowd into a frenzy...  :metal
It's the Internet.  Everything everybody says, no matter how factual-sounding, is opinion.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2012, 08:55:31 PM »
as a GnR fan, i should acknowledge this thread.

:-*

i shall now acknowledge just how gay this post was.