Poll

Of the eight tracks making up SDOIT, which is your favorite?

Overture
About to Crash
War Inside My Head
The Test That Stumped Them All
Goodnight Kiss
Solitary Shell
About to Crash (Reprise)
Losing Time/Grand Finale
The tracks shouldn't be split up

Author Topic: What is your favorite part of Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence?  (Read 10910 times)

Offline theGonz

Re: What is your favorite part of Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence?
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2012, 04:52:53 PM »
Wow I'm the only one who thinks Overture is the best part!  It contains bits from all the movements and is pretty kickass. Close second is The Test followed by Solitary Shell.
*epic instrumental section*

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2012, 10:14:15 PM »
Losing Time/Grand Finale

My favorite moment in music, ever.

Offline 54_diplomats

« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2012, 11:47:08 PM »
Yeah I chose Losing Time/Grand Finale.

Offline perfey

• Stiletto in the sand
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2012, 03:24:46 AM »
Goodnight Kiss.  :heart
I just love it, its something special about it. From the soft beginning to the build up in the end.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2012, 03:42:19 AM »
Solsbur---I mean Solitary Shell.  :smiley:

I really enjoy that track and grew to like it more after seeing it live
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline wolfandwolfandwolf

• Gym Rat
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Really Scrappy Player
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2012, 08:22:22 AM »
Another thing I don't like about Goodnight Kiss is the lyrics. I mean, overall they're nice, and the sentiment is nice. But good god, I DO NOT WANT to hear James LaBrie sing, "I'm just a poor girl".
Dude, this.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2012, 10:16:16 AM »
Another thing I don't like about Goodnight Kiss is the lyrics. I mean, overall they're nice, and the sentiment is nice. But good god, I DO NOT WANT to hear James LaBrie sing, "I'm just a poor girl".
Dude, this.
I actually think that he pulls it off quite well. Sure, a poor boy might have been less laughable, but the feeling of anguish is present in the song in such a powerful way. Plus, that solo is one of the perfect examples that Petrucci doesn't have to shred to deliver a good solo.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2012, 10:19:08 AM »
Dude, this.

I don't see what is wrong with it.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2012, 10:38:44 AM »
Dude, this.

Yeah. Between SFAM and SDOIT, JLB sings lyrics which imply he's a female more than a few times, and I don't really see a problem with it.

Offline energythief

• Chubby Chaser
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2012, 12:09:24 PM »
Oh my god such a hard decision

I settled on About to Crash (reprise).

Dat opening

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2012, 03:11:09 PM »
I actually think that he pulls it off quite well. Sure, a poor boy might have been less laughable, but the feeling of anguish is present in the song in such a powerful way. Plus, that solo is one of the perfect examples that Petrucci doesn't have to shred to deliver a good solo.

I just don't think the lyrics should've went into first person at all for that part. I'm sure JP could've worded it differently. I mean, heck, the FIRST time he says, "You're" so even if he's talking about a different character in the second verse, he could've said like, "She" or something.

I mean, being a Dream Theater fan, I can let it go. But it's definitely not a lyrics that I'd be too proud to just show other people, because I just know that they'd be like, "Why did that guy just said that he's a girl?"

Yeah. Between SFAM and SDOIT, JLB sings lyrics which imply he's a female more than a few times, and I don't really see a problem with it.

There's a difference between implying it on behalf of a character like, "He always had my heart, he needs to know..."
And outright saying, "I'm just a poor girl." And there's no other part of SDOIT where he sings on behalf of a female character. About To Crash and Losing Time are both done in third person.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2012, 03:21:28 PM »
There's a difference between implying it on behalf of a character like, "He always had my heart, he needs to know..."
And outright saying, "I'm just a poor girl." And there's no other part of SDOIT where he sings on behalf of a female character. About To Crash and Losing Time are both done in third person.

About to Crash (reprise) is done in first person, from the point of view of the same girl as About to Crash.

« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2012, 03:30:19 PM »
About to Crash (reprise) is done in first person, from the point of view of the same girl as About to Crash.

Okay, you're right, but in that case, the lyrics never imply that it is a girl. The only way we know is from hearing About To Crash and knowing that the story is about a girl.

Offline GasparXR

« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2012, 03:36:57 PM »

Okay, you're right, but in that case, the lyrics never imply that it is a girl. The only way we know is from hearing About To Crash and knowing that the story is about a girl.

It doesn't matter if ATCR doesn't imply it, because ATC does, which is directly related. Your statement is kind of contradictory and stretching to win an argument.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2012, 03:40:27 PM »
Wow I'm the only one who thinks Overture is the best part!  It contains bits from all the movements and is pretty kickass.

You would be wrong! Love Overture, I can just play it and be happy.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2012, 03:46:24 PM »
It doesn't matter if ATCR doesn't imply it, because ATC does, which is directly related. Your statement is kind of contradictory and stretching to win an argument.

I'm not stretching anything. All I'm saying is that hearing LaBrie say, "I'm just a poor girl" is really awkward. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with singing on behalf of a female character, all I'm saying is that hearing that combination of words coming out of his mouth is awkward.

Offline GasparXR

« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2012, 03:48:08 PM »

I'm not stretching anything. All I'm saying is that hearing LaBrie say, "I'm just a poor girl" is really awkward. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with singing on behalf of a female character, all I'm saying is that hearing that combination of words coming out of his mouth is awkward.

I wasn't talking about that, I was talking about how you said ATCR doesn't imply it's a girl in the lyrics. In which case you're technically right. I read your post wrong, I thought you said that the first ATC doesn't imply it either, lol

« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2012, 03:53:04 PM »
I wasn't talking about that, I was talking about how you said ATCR doesn't imply it's a girl in the lyrics. In which case you're technically right. I read your post wrong, I thought you said that the first ATC doesn't imply it either, lol

Ah, okay. Yeah, no, I was just saying that you need to listen to ATC in order to understand that it is a girl in ATCR, otherwise, the context could apply to anyone. I mean, I'm sure that even a guy with bi-polar disorder would get to a point where all he'd want to do is cry. Nothing wrong with that.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2012, 04:00:17 PM »
It honestly baffles me a little bit that anyone could be that bothered by a guy calling himself a girl. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline GasparXR

« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2012, 04:01:43 PM »
It honestly baffles me a little bit that anyone could be that bothered by a guy calling himself a girl. 

I thought it would jaffle you, not baffle.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2012, 04:02:09 PM »
Now maybe if James was interviewed, and he stated that he was a girl, I'd question.

« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2012, 04:03:59 PM »

Why? I've heard plenty of people on this forum talk about how certain lyrics just sound embarrassing. "I'm just a poor girl" is worse than anything on Constant Motion, The Shattered Fortress or The Ministry Of Lost Souls. And I hear many people call those lyrics cringe worthy (unjustly so).

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2012, 04:38:33 PM »
Dude, this.

You aren't looking at the song as a part of a story. JLB is singing from the point of view of a female character. To me, the lyrics in Goodnight Kiss are well written and well executed. You just have to pay attention to the overall story.
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2012, 04:56:07 PM »
You aren't looking at the song as a part of a story. JLB is singing from the point of view of a female character. To me, the lyrics in Goodnight Kiss are well written and well executed. You just have to pay attention to the overall story.

That's fine. But sometimes I just want to listen to some awesome music and not sit there and be immersed in the story. And like I said, when I listen to DT with my friends who aren't familiar with 6 Degrees, I don't want to be like, "Okay, okay, now pay attention to this next part, it's important to the context of the story!"

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2012, 05:05:19 PM »
Listening to DT with friends who aren't already familiar with DT isn't the easiest task you can approach, and lyrics are usually the least of my problems - it's more like "gosh I have a headache" / "why did they do that" / "is that song still on" and similar.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2012, 05:13:25 PM »
Well, my friends are unique, I guess. They enjoy listening to DT, while don't really do it outside of my presence. But they're still the types of people that'd say, "Did he just say he was a girl? Dude, that's gay!"

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2012, 05:22:41 PM »
"Did he just say he was a girl? Dude, that's gay!"
You should tell your friends culturally imposed gender roles are stupid for the most part, and the proof for that is the fact that they're changing all the time. :smiley: and besides, when James says "I wish I weren't so fucked" on AIA, it's not in the literal sense either  :rollin As well as portraying Victoria on Scenes etc.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2012, 05:24:30 PM »
You should tell your friends culturally imposed gender roles are stupid for the most part, and the proof for that is the fact that they're changing all the time.

Yeah, but I could also say that to a brick wall, and it would have the same effect.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: June 23, 2012, 09:29:31 PM »

I thought it would jaffle you, not baffle.

I honestly love this.   :heart

Why? I've heard plenty of people on this forum talk about how certain lyrics just sound embarrassing. "I'm just a poor girl" is worse than anything on Constant Motion, The Shattered Fortress or The Ministry Of Lost Souls. And I hear many people call those lyrics cringe worthy (unjustly so).

In my experience, most people who complain about lyrics complain about either how they are sung or how they are written.  If you didn't like JLB's voice for that part, I would understand.  I mean, I wouldn't agree, but I wouldn't be baffled.  If you didn't like the way the lyric was written, you thought it sounded forced or awkward or something, I would understand.  But as far as I can tell you have no problem with the line except that it's a male singing it.  I find that to be a rather odd objection to have with a song.

Don't get me wrong, you're entitled to feel that way.  I just find it baffling. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

« Reply #64 on: June 23, 2012, 09:33:55 PM »
I just think that lyric is awkward and embarrassing. But even if it wasn't, Goodnight Kiss would still be my least favorite part of Six Degrees. Even if they needed to slow it down a little, it could've been something along the lines of Another World or even Take Away My Pain. Goodnight Kiss slows it down to pretty much a drag.

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #65 on: June 23, 2012, 09:34:55 PM »
You should tell your friends culturally imposed gender roles are stupid for the most part, and the proof for that is the fact that they're changing all the time.

Yeah, but I could also say that to a brick wall, and it would have the same effect.

I guess you could hang out with people who aren't homophobic.

« Reply #66 on: June 23, 2012, 09:36:57 PM »
I guess you could hang out with people who aren't homophobic.
They're not homophobic. They're just crude. Still good people. And there is another option. I won't play Goodnight Kiss for them and avoid them that drag of a segment.

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #67 on: June 23, 2012, 09:41:04 PM »
Well I disagree. I love Goodnight Kiss. Probably my favorite part of the suite after the About to Crashes and Solitary Shell. I think it's beautiful, and I think it's wonderful even if it "slows it to a drag". Slowness isn't necessarily bad.

"I'm just a poor girl" isn't the best or cleverest lyric, but it makes sense in the context of the song, as the first time you hear it it's "you're just a poor girl". The contrast is nice and summarizes the conflict at hand in a pretty elegant way. Also, the upbeat solo section kicks numerous asses.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: June 23, 2012, 09:42:05 PM »
Goodnight Kiss probably is my least favorite segment of the song, but I still think it's good. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

« Reply #69 on: June 23, 2012, 09:46:41 PM »
Goodnight Kiss probably is my least favorite segment of the song, but I still think it's good.

I think it's good in that Anna Lee kind of way. But I think it drags the whole thing down. I don't just mean in pace, but if it wasn't for Goodnight Kiss, or if it had just a slightly more energetic rhythm, like I said, even something like Take Away My Pain, then I'd enjoy it a lot better and regard the Six Degrees suite a lot higher.