Poll

What are you more likely to purchase/play - a live CD set or a live DVD of the same material?

live CD set
27 (22.3%)
live DVD
94 (77.7%)

Total Members Voted: 117

Author Topic: Live CDs vs. Live DVDs  (Read 10192 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Live CDs vs. Live DVDs
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2012, 07:01:08 AM »
I like to watch a concert DVD while I'm on the exercise bike or treadmill.  Perfect way to keep my mind occupied.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2012, 08:03:32 AM »
Never understood the appeal of live CDs in general, DVDs give you something for your eyes to go along with what you already have for your ears. DT DVDs are especially awesome because there is SO MUCH going on with the musicians.

There are exceptions of course - some singers are famous for our-performing their studio material. I have Heart bootlegs recorded in the 70s where Ann is just insane with the screams and high notes. When you have live CDs like that you don't really feel like you're just listening to the same old version of the song you already have.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2012, 09:55:24 AM »
I like both, but if I could only have one, I would go for the DVD.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2012, 09:59:36 AM »
For those arguing the point that you can just rip the audio straight from the DVDs and use that as a CD-substitute, what about a case like when Dream Theater released both Once In A LIVEtime and Five Years In A LIVEtime, where the track lists were different between the two?

Well, for that exact case, I am guessing most would pick the DVD, since JLB's vocals on the live CDs are, um, well, not very good. ;) :lol

Can you imagine if a new DT fan, looking to randomly buy one DT live CD and one DT live DVD, bought Once in a Livetime and Chaos in Motion??  They would start off as a fan thinking that JLB was the worst live singer ever.  :facepalm:

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2012, 10:13:01 AM »
There are exceptions of course - some singers are famous for our-performing their studio material. I have Heart bootlegs recorded in the 70s where Ann is just insane with the screams and high notes. When you have live CDs like that you don't really feel like you're just listening to the same old version of the song you already have.

Well, all bands are obviously different. I mean, look at Queen. I love Queen, but when they performed live, their style was way different. They sounded like a Punk band doing covers of Queen songs. Which was interesting in its own right, but not why I like their music. Of course in that case, the visuals are still better than just listening to their live material. But like you said, at least it's something different if you're just listening to it.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2012, 10:29:31 AM »
Can you imagine if a new DT fan, looking to randomly buy one DT live CD and one DT live DVD, bought Once in a Livetime and Chaos in Motion??  They would start off as a fan thinking that JLB was the worst live singer ever.  :facepalm:

Well my first encounter with DT was their live rendition of Master Of Puppets.

I wasn't impressed ! :P

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2012, 10:40:30 AM »

Oh god  :lol

Well...let's just hope that never happens...ever.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline theGonz

« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2012, 07:09:56 PM »
DVDs. If you want audio, just rip it from the DVD.
I forgot you could do that...  :facepalm: I voted for CD cuz I can listen to it anywhere and don't have to sit down for 3 hrs to enjoy the music. But when I do sit down for a DVD I enjoy every minute!  :biggrin:
*epic instrumental section*

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2012, 07:59:53 PM »
Good question Scotty, but given the choice I always, ALWAYS buy a DVD over the CD of the same concert if both are released.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2012, 09:21:28 PM »
Both.

« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2012, 09:22:02 PM »
I voted for CD cuz I can listen to it anywhere and don't have to sit down for 3 hrs to enjoy the music.

Yeah, but that's what the albums are for.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2012, 03:22:28 AM »
Live DVD, hands down.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2012, 04:23:36 PM »
Exactly!

This. So much more value to a DVD. And better sound too... actually the correct answer is Blue Ray

Offline Ħ

« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2012, 04:51:16 PM »
Live DVD's are always better, IMO. There was once a time for live CDs but that time has passed.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline John94

« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2012, 05:01:43 PM »
Like the DVD as it is the visual performance. You get to see the physical expressions and actions of the band and also the audio. Love watching the band do their thing and seeing people enjoy it. But I also like sitting there and listening to the live performances so I would say DVD but able to get the audio tracks.

Or CD/DVD double set  :metal

Offline jammindude

« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2012, 07:41:42 PM »
To tell you the truth, I was really ticked that Rush's S&A tour was sold as a separate package, and I almost didn't buy Time Machine for the same reason.

So there have, in fact, been times when I *didn't* buy a live album, just because it didn't come as a full set with BOTH.   

R30, Anesthetize....those set the standard.   I will pay the extra money to have them as a complete package.

So I vote neither.   But if forced to pick which one I would use more...I would say CD's.   But as someone said, I like them both for different reasons.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2012, 08:32:47 PM »
Back in the day when we didn't have a lot (or any) Vid or DVD shows, live CD's were a must.  This day and age though, I would deff. prefer a DVD.  As a matter of fact, I rarely listen to my live CD's.

Offline jcmistat

« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2012, 02:11:03 AM »
I'm going to buy both, but the CD will get a lot more play than the DVD.  And I really like listening to live CD's.  Even if they play a song basically the same as the studio album, the different context and mix will often reveal parts within the music that I never noticed before, giving me a deeper appreciation of the studio version.  And when they rework a song live, I really enjoy the differences. 

You win. I listen to the live versions of DT songs a lot. Mixing it up is the way to go. Lots of variety but still the same songs we love.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #53 on: July 04, 2012, 04:12:05 AM »
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #54 on: July 04, 2012, 05:06:16 AM »
I would've said that I like either of them in different situations, but honestly...

The one case where CDs take the lead is either things like Live at the Marquee, where they edit the performance a lot (James completely rerecorded the vocals and it'd look bad on a DVD), or Scenes From NY, where they cut a bunch of songs in the DVD but keep them in the CD (though that's not a problem from Budokan and on).

Offline robwebster

« Reply #55 on: July 04, 2012, 06:34:37 AM »
I'm a bit weird with CDs and DVDs. I'm fairly poor, so I can rarely justify the expense for both, and in those instances I usually go for the DVD. I went for the Chaos in Motion DVD without the CDs, I bought Metropolis 2000 about half a decade before getting the live CDs, likewise Live at Budokan - DVD's highest priority. Even on its own, it's the full package. You've got the sound, the images, the bonus features, the lot - DVD gets priority, every time.

That said, I tend to get a lot more joy out of the CD. When I'm putting on a DVD, I have to sit down and watch it. Uses all my senses, when I've rarely got three consecutive hours that I want to fill. It's a lot easier to put a live CD on in the background, and I'll go through fairly frequent phrases when I'm properly craving live music. I like the slightly raw, rugged quality, and particularly the energy of a live performance. The songs on One Cold Winter's Night by Kamelot, for instance, tend to outstrip the studio versions by miles. Even when they're abridged! March of Mephisto's gorgeous. There's no use having to take the telly out of action for three hours to enjoy a live recording. Nice to have the images, but the DVD's so much more impractical.

While DVDs are essential, I like the CDs more. So, in conclusion... no idea! Abstaining from voting.

EDIT: Or, having now viewed the results, I'll vote CDs, to even the odds a little. (A very little.)

Offline Siberian Khatru

« Reply #56 on: July 04, 2012, 06:47:35 AM »
DVDs.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #57 on: July 04, 2012, 06:50:24 AM »
I'm a bit weird with CDs and DVDs. I'm fairly poor, so I can rarely justify the expense for both, and in those instances I usually go for the DVD. I went for the Chaos in Motion DVD without the CDs, I bought Metropolis 2000 about half a decade before getting the live CDs, likewise Live at Budokan - DVD's highest priority. Even on its own, it's the full package. You've got the sound, the images, the bonus features, the lot - DVD gets priority, every time.

That said, I tend to get a lot more joy out of the CD. When I'm putting on a DVD, I have to sit down and watch it. Uses all my senses, when I've rarely got three consecutive hours that I want to fill. It's a lot easier to put a live CD on in the background, and I'll go through fairly frequent phrases when I'm properly craving live music. I like the slightly raw, rugged quality, and particularly the energy of a live performance. The songs on One Cold Winter's Night by Kamelot, for instance, tend to outstrip the studio versions by miles. Even when they're abridged! March of Mephisto's gorgeous. There's no use having to take the telly out of action for three hours to enjoy a live recording. Nice to have the images, but the DVD's so much more impractical.

While DVDs are essential, I like the CDs more. So, in conclusion... no idea! Abstaining from voting.

EDIT: Or, having now viewed the results, I'll vote CDs, to even the odds a little. (A very little.)
Yay, another Kamelot fan, AND a fan who enjoys OCW-songs better than their studio versions as well. Wow. May gods of cake and sex and fuzzy cute things smile upon you,

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #58 on: July 04, 2012, 07:00:42 AM »

Pretty much this, although I always get the CDs first.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline robwebster

« Reply #59 on: July 04, 2012, 08:08:29 AM »
Yay, another Kamelot fan, AND a fan who enjoys OCW-songs better than their studio versions as well. Wow. May gods of cake and sex and fuzzy cute things smile upon you,
Hahaha - ohhh, impeccable taste! May they smile upon you, too. In whichever order you prefer.

Probably save the cake 'til last.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2012, 10:48:25 AM »

Add me as well. The tracks on OCWN have the backing vocals which adds a lot, but the DVD is one of my favorites. Something about watching Khan sing.and the overall production on the DVD is great.

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #61 on: July 05, 2012, 04:40:45 PM »
I have a shelf full of live DVDs that I don't watch, whereas most of my live CDs are in some kind of regular rotation. More often than not, I am just listening to live CDs rather than studio CDs...

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2012, 11:10:10 AM »
While I haven't said much since starting this thread, I've been enjoying reading the various responses. I guess in reality when wording the question, I should have asked "What are you more likely to play - a live CD set or a live DVD of the same material?" as I think it would have better answered the point I'm trying to make (in that live CDs still do hold an important place for many fans).

But like SW and several others, I stand by my point on the debate - I don't have the time (nor usually the patience) to sit thru a concert DVD, yet I regularly listen to the equivalent live album. I hate to admit this, but to this day I have not watched Rush's Time Machine Blu-ray yet, even tho it's been sitting on my shelf for months. BUT I have listened to the live album numerous times, both at home (while doing other stuff) and especially when driving my car. For you younger folks who have a lot more time, I can see why you would have more time to watch the videos (as was the case with me years ago).

And honestly, I don't want to deal with the hassle of having to rip the music tracks from the DVD and everything that goes with it. But that's just me.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2012, 10:30:20 PM »
The thing is, I mean, yeah, often times, on live material, we get some bonus stuff like Live at Budokan versions of Hollow Years and Beyond This Life. But other than those select few songs where something is unique and different, why would you listen to a live version of a song when you could just listen to the studio version of it, which is more often than not better quality and isn't surrounded by applause? Personally, for me it's studio versions all the way.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2012, 10:41:14 PM »
  But other than those select few songs where something is unique and different, why would you listen to a live version of a song when you could just listen to the studio version of it, which is more often than not better quality and isn't surrounded by applause? Personally, for me it's studio versions all the way.

I could not agree more.  I can count on one hand the number of DT songs where there is a live version that I prefer over the studio to the point where I usually listen to the live version: The Killing Hand and A Fortune in Lies from Live at the Marquee, Speak to Me and Cover My Eyes from 5 Years in a Livetime, and maybe To Live Forever from the Tokyo DVD. 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #65 on: July 06, 2012, 10:57:35 PM »
Sometimes that's true...but quite often, you get some INCREDIBLE versions that are quite different.    Can't believe the Budakon version of Hollow Years was left off your list....and also the Budakon version of Beyond This Life (for me) has become *the definitive* version.

Other incredible live versions.   The live version of Trains from Arriving Somewhere.   The live versions of My Ashes and Sleep Together from Anesthetize.    Several Rush songs.   The live version of YYZ from ESL is WAY preferable to the studio version in my eyes.    As a matter of fact, most of the songs from ESL are just incredible.  I prefer the Broon's Bane/Trees/Xanadu suite from side three of ESL to the studio versions of any of them.    The live version of Driven from Different Stages is superior to the original.   

I'm getting quite sick of it nowadays...but Fear of the Dark is a billion times better as a live version than studio.  (my personal favorite version is from A Real Live One)

The list goes on...
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2012, 11:01:02 PM »
JP's solo in Hollow Years from Budokan is by far the most overrated DT-related thing ever.  That wouldn't make my top 100 JP solos.  Sure, some of those soaring notes he hits are nice, but he does too much fast "flurry of notes with no direction" shredding in that solo for me to call it even a very good one.  I do like the way they take the final chorus after the solo up a notch, but the solo really does not make the song better; if anything, it stands out as sounding very out of place.  A song like Hollow Years should not have a solo with that much shredding in it, IMO.

« Reply #67 on: July 06, 2012, 11:02:35 PM »
Sometimes that's true...but quite often, you get some INCREDIBLE versions that are quite different.    Can't believe the Budakon version of Hollow Years was left off your list....and also the Budakon version of Beyond This Life (for me) has become *the definitive* version.

Yeah, but still, stuff like that, I mean, that's 2 songs from a 3 hour concert. I wouldn't buy the whole Budokan CD set just for 2 songs... Even 3 songs, if you include Instrumedley. But with the visuals, to SEE them perform all the other stuff, that's what makes the whole Budokan concert worth it.
Same with Life Scenes From New York. Yes, it had a few nice little additions in it, but without the visuals, I'd rather just listen to Scenes From A Memory album.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #68 on: July 07, 2012, 01:31:10 AM »
The thing is, I mean, yeah, often times, on live material, we get some bonus stuff like Live at Budokan versions of Hollow Years and Beyond This Life. But other than those select few songs where something is unique and different, why would you listen to a live version of a song when you could just listen to the studio version of it, which is more often than not better quality and isn't surrounded by applause? Personally, for me it's studio versions all the way.

Honestly, I don't know why, but I do. There are certainly some songs that I appreciate more in their studio form (Pull Me Under is the first to come to mind), but I enjoy a lot of the live recordings just the same. Perhaps it's due to my own personal memories of seeing them live (Anaheim was my 52nd show) or maybe it's another reason. Whatever the case, a lot of times I enjoy the listening to the live recordings instead of the studio versions.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #69 on: July 07, 2012, 04:05:17 AM »
When listening to live shows, I have more a feeling of being there myself. Also, while it isn't perfect, I sometimes enjoy precisely that, because it sounds more realistic, in a way.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!