Poll

What are you more likely to purchase/play - a live CD set or a live DVD of the same material?

live CD set
27 (22.3%)
live DVD
94 (77.7%)

Total Members Voted: 117

Author Topic: Live CDs vs. Live DVDs  (Read 10193 times)

Offline Setlist Scotty

Live CDs vs. Live DVDs
« on: June 20, 2012, 03:58:38 PM »
In the thread regarding concerns of the setlist and what will appear on the upcoming live release, KevShmev brought up the point that most people these days could care less about the live CDs and prefer live DVDs. I beg to differ personally, as I don't have the time, nor the motivation to sit down and watch a concert, but I enjoy being able to listen to concerts while driving or doing other tasks. While this may be applicable to all sorts of bands/artists, what is your opinion when it comes to DT's live releases?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Re: Live CDs vs. Live DVDs
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 03:59:38 PM »
I basically agree with what you said. Sure, I sometimes watch DVDs, but it's a far rarer occasion for me.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 04:00:11 PM »
DVDs. Easy.

I get a much more experienced feeling by watching it.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 04:08:26 PM »
DVDs. If you want audio, just rip it from the DVD.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 04:08:49 PM »
They're for different purposes, honestly. But I'd pick a CD if it were up to me which item DT released, if only because I listen to a live CD more often.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 04:19:39 PM »
I would be equally interested in buying both of them.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 04:21:25 PM »
DVD's, no contest.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 04:23:25 PM »
In my single days, I would say DVD without question. But back then, I had no wife, no kid, no cable, and lots of time.

Now, the reality of me sitting down and watching a concert DVD for any more than 15 minutes is a rarity. Live CDs just don't interest me as much. I don't own one live DT CD, but all their official DVDs except CiM.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline comment

• Custom Title
  • What’s on your mind Facebook?
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 04:25:44 PM »
DVD.  I rarely listen to live CD's.
Signature

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 04:39:24 PM »
Both, if possible, but I listen to music more than I watch tv, so CD sets are more viable for my personal pleasure. I rarely get a chance to sit down and watch/pay attention to a live concert video, and if I do put it on, it's usually for background noise while I work on the computer.

In the case of the live CD set being the same as the audio from the DVD, then I would choose the CD over the DVD, unless the video is really special and the extras grab my attention - commentary also helps. Either way, I'd more often than not listen to a live CD set with headphones on.

In the case of where the CD and DVD are of different origins, then depending on the source material used, I may pick one or the other, but I would rather have both.

In the case of this upcoming DT tour leg, I hope they film a single whole show, but release a compiled CD set that releases ALL (or most) of the songs they've played so far on this tour that are worthwhile for CD release, meaning if a song is new, or it's arrangement has been altered in any way, or if it hasn't been released on a live CD set yet (or hasn't since OIALT), then it should see release on the next live CD album.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 04:39:35 PM »
DVD's. Especially in the case of bands like Dream Theater who (at least now) tend to play the songs as close to the CD as possible. A live CD at this point would just sound like a low quality album re-release.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline PetFish

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 06:37:48 PM »

DVD has both video and audio whereas a CD is just audio so for a little more $$$ you get way more stuff.  Plus, a lot of times the DVD will have more music than the CD cuz it holds more material.  Also, many live concert DVD's also come with a cut-down CD of the same show now so there's not such a decision to make anyway.

Offline Cable

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 08:30:47 PM »
Same as the majority.

Also like others: more time for live CD, but prefer DVD/video.
---

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 11:33:46 PM »
I rarely listen to their live CDs, and mostly watch the live DVDs when I get the urge. If I'm only going to be listening to it, I'd rather just listen to the studio versions, because I mostly don't like the sound of live albums. Plus I get the DVDs for the extras as much as anything else, which the CDs don't have.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online Adami

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2012, 11:35:07 PM »
I rarely listen to their live CDs, and mostly watch the live DVDs when I get the urge. If I'm only going to be listening to it, I'd rather just listen to the studio versions, because I mostly don't like the sound of live albums. Plus I get the DVDs for the extras as much as anything else, which the CDs don't have.

Your copies of the live CD's don't have the backstage documentaries?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2012, 11:38:44 PM »
The thing with live CDs is, yes, I listen to CDs way more than I watch DVDs, but if I am gonna listen to Dream Theater, for example, I am gonna listen to the studio albums.  They are not a band where the live versions are better than the studio ones, with a few exceptions, IMO. 

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2012, 11:43:20 PM »
I can't watch DVDs in the car so I'm more for CDs.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2012, 11:57:30 PM »

.......Do I have to turn the disc over or something? IS THERE A SIDE-B?
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2012, 12:00:42 AM »

Are you familiar with the theory of branch points in complex analysis?  :rollin
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2012, 12:07:53 AM »
DVDs, easily. The audio can be ripped from a DVD so you can have both. Seeing how I rarely get shows down here, I like watching bands play, even if only on screen.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2012, 12:14:30 AM »
DVDs by a longshot. I mean, if I'm only going to listen to Audio, why bother listening to a live version at all when I can listen to the studio version? Sure, there are extended solos and stuff, but that's only on usually about 3 to 4 songs per concert max.
And heck, with Dream Theater of all bands, I love seeing them perform. They're amazing musicians and always put on rockin' shows.

And yes, the audio can always be ripped, so as far as I'm concerned, if a DVD is purchased, the person is entitled to own the audio as well.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Online Adami

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2012, 12:15:19 AM »

No no no, when the cd starts you just have to yell very loudly "PLAY THE DOCUMENTARY YOU EVIL WIZARD". If it doesn't work, keep repeating it. If possible, do so in front of others, preferably psychiatrists.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2012, 12:29:24 AM »
I'm big on DVDs... It's a ritual that I have to do on a regular basis... I'm addicted to gigs.. god bless the DVDs...

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2012, 12:34:02 AM »
DVD. Always DVD. Don't care much for live CDs at all.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2012, 12:37:45 AM »
I wouldn't mind something like CiM where there was a special edition that had the DVD and CD set.

I personally like both, but because I am always with an iPod or in a car, I would like the CD better.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2012, 12:58:07 AM »
I wouldn't mind something like CiM where there was a special edition that had the DVD and CD set.

As long as they didn't overcharge an arm and a leg for it. I think if you're going to buy a live DVD, then the DVD + CD set shouldn't be more than $5 more than just the DVD by itself.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2012, 01:29:46 AM »
For those arguing the point that you can just rip the audio straight from the DVDs and use that as a CD-substitute, what about a case like when Dream Theater released both Once In A LIVEtime and Five Years In A LIVEtime, where the track lists were different between the two?

In that instance, if you ripped the audio from FYIALT, it wouldn't be the same as OILAT, so which would you rather have THEN?

More music on 2 CDs, or a video that has some concert footage interlaced with behind-the-scenes stuff/interviews/etc. etc.? I think because of LAB and SCORE, people just expect the band to release a straight live show, so when they release CIM, it was a bit of a shock, but I actually quite enjoy watching the interview-bits between songs. It's an enlightening look into how the band operated on the road. But I'm also glad we got the songs on a 3-CD set so I can listen to the songs without having to pop in the DVD, and even if I *did* just rip the audio, I'd have to edit things out and crossfade the songs to get something that sounds like a coherent concert.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2012, 01:46:52 AM »
For those arguing the point that you can just rip the audio straight from the DVDs and use that as a CD-substitute, what about a case like when Dream Theater released both Once In A LIVEtime and Five Years In A LIVEtime, where the track lists were different between the two?

In that instance, if you ripped the audio from FYIALT, it wouldn't be the same as OILAT, so which would you rather have THEN?

In that case, I wouldn't associate the two. I mean, yes, Once and Five Years have similar titles, but I still wouldn't call them 'counterparts' like one is the DVD version of the other. Obviously it's not.
But sonsidering the nature of Five Years in a Livetime, I'd definitely take that. I mean, all that backstage footage and stuff like that is absolutely awesome. So IF I had to choose, I'd still take the DVD.

Offline KISS 76

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2012, 02:38:26 AM »
Both have their place. I really miss looking forward to YtseJam Records releases especially...  :'(

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2012, 02:46:53 AM »
I would be equally interested in buying both of them.

Completely agree with wasteland. This is why i liked the dvd+cd edition of Chaos In Motion even though i wept for my money after realizing how bad quality both the sound and the video were.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2012, 04:37:27 AM »
DVD. Always DVD. Don't care much for live CDs at all.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2012, 04:43:55 AM »
Yeah I find good music DVDs as beautiful as rainbows.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2012, 06:14:42 AM »
When the new DT live album is released, I will walk out of the store with BOTH the DVD and CD. I do the same for Iron Maiden.

But when it comes to other bands, I really ask myself, am I more likely to watch or would I simply rather listen. It's different each time.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2012, 06:43:06 AM »
I'm going to buy both, but the CD will get a lot more play than the DVD.  And I really like listening to live CD's.  Even if they play a song basically the same as the studio album, the different context and mix will often reveal parts within the music that I never noticed before, giving me a deeper appreciation of the studio version.  And when they rework a song live, I really enjoy the differences. 

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2012, 06:44:26 AM »
Exactly!