Author Topic: Maybe this has been discussed before, but what if Mike Portnoy replaced Ulrich?  (Read 5720 times)

Offline Shine

We all know Ulrich doesn't bring much to Metallica, he's a decent enough drummer, but he's never been creative. Now that Portnoy is done with Dream Theater and sort of inbetween bands still (I'm not sure how serious AM is going to be, or what's happening with Flying Colors) what would happen if he replaced Ulrich? I know Ulrich loves Metallica, but maybe he could stay on as a producer or manager for the band?

Thoughts?
lake of fire

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
You'd have a band with a cool but ignored bassist, a horribly sloppy lead guitarist, a good but burned out singer and a great drummer.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
You'd have another terribly loud album with drums that are just a little bit louder than everything else.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
You'd have another terribly loud album with drums that are just a little bit louder than everything else.

The accuracy of this statement is overwhelming.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
It will continue to be a great live band.
Only Metallica member I want gone is Trujillo though :lol
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price

Accuracy is sort of my thing.

Online Adami

Why? I mean I admit that Newstead was really the essential Metallica bassist (Come at me!), but Trujillo seems like a truly awesome guy and a good as hell bassist.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
I like the way he holds his bass. I can't really comment on the whole bass situation, but would Metallica have been different if Cliff burton had lived?
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni

Why? I mean I admit that Newstead was really the essential Metallica bassist

It's exactly that, Newsted was the essential Metallica bassist. he was a huge part of the Metallica live vibe and he fit the band perfectly, blended in the image and became part of what the 90's Metallica which is the Metallica we've seen live, collected their albums and videos and had on our walls. No matter how much the 80's albums are better; that is the Metallica we've grown up with.
I never asked and never will ask for a Metallica that is anywhere near technical on live stage and certainly don't care how good a technical musician their bassist should be.
Trujillo is from a very different world imo, image and style, not to mention the awful back vocals he insists on contributing. I avoid looking at him when I watch a Metallica show if I could, the whole thing he does is completely distracting and unfit to the music to me.
For the longest time I thought a big part of it was me unable to get over Newsted's departure and how used I was to the band as it was but when the DT/MP thing happened and I found myself easily detached from MP's DT and loving Mike Mangini ,for what he brings to the band of both vibe and musical ability, I found that I'm able to move on from that situation with a favorite band if the new guy fits.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
You'd have a band with a cool but ignored bassist, a horribly sloppy lead guitarist, a good but burned out singer and a great drummer.

That.
They were very enjoyable live, but good god Ulrich is a liability. The guy can't play shit in time, and it made me cringe every time he attempted a fill.

Also, GMD.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online Adami

and it made me cringe every time he attempted a fill.

Not a fan of the snare drum?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
Or china cymbals?
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
and it made me cringe every time he attempted a fill.

Not a fan of the snare drum?

:lol
Not when it's an entire beat ahead of when it should be. EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
Then the next Metallica album would be... interesting. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni

It may even be good for a change!

The drumming on the last two albums is pretty embarrassing, especially DM. There are too many moments when the song legitimately sounds like it's about to entirely fall apart.
I should not get that feeling from a band that's been playing together for almost 30 years, especially not on a studio album. :lol

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
Well, that's what happens when you're drummer wants to record without a click track.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Online Adami

Well, that's what happens when you're drummer wants to record without a click track.

I think he said that was only on one song.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline tartarus250

• peace love and good happyness stuff
portnoy would love it and i guess i would like to hear and see it :corn
The creation and destruction of harmonic and 'statistical' tensions is essential to the maintenance of compositional drama. Any composition (or improvisation) which remains consonant and 'regular' throughout is, for me, equivalent to watching a movie with only 'good guys' in it, or eating cottage cheese.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
MP can't fix an entire back catalogue. They'd still suck

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

It's exactly that, Newsted was the essential Metallica bassist. he was a huge part of the Metallica live vibe and he fit the band perfectly, blended in the image and became part of what the 90's Metallica which is the Metallica we've seen live, collected their albums and videos and had on our walls. No matter how much the 80's albums are better; that is the Metallica we've grown up with.
I never asked and never will ask for a Metallica that is anywhere near technical on live stage and certainly don't care how good a technical musician their bassist should be.
Trujillo is from a very different world imo, image and style, not to mention the awful back vocals he insists on contributing. I avoid looking at him when I watch a Metallica show if I could, the whole thing he does is completely distracting and unfit to the music to me.
For the longest time I thought a big part of it was me unable to get over Newsted's departure and how used I was to the band as it was but when the DT/MP thing happened and I found myself easily detached from MP's DT and loving Mike Mangini ,for what he brings to the band of both vibe and musical ability, I found that I'm able to move on from that situation with a favorite band if the new guy fits.

I just don't understand this post at all.  Any of it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Then Transatlantic, Flying Colors, Portnoy's involvement with Neal Morse, etc. would all end, since Hetfield would be a little bitch again and insist that their new drummer give his all to Metallica 24/7 and have no side projects.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Like Lars would ever give up all that money.

Oh wait, I forgot that they're strapped for cash and must tour 24/7 to survive...

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
I don't see Metallica carrying on without either James or Lars , not to say that Lars is a good drummer, but could you image the shit show with lawsuits if either tried to carry on the name without the other
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni

It may even be good for a change!

The drumming on the last two albums is pretty embarrassing, especially DM. There are too many moments when the song legitimately sounds like it's about to entirely fall apart.
I should not get that feeling from a band that's been playing together for almost 30 years, especially not on a studio album. :lol

:lol  Well, I like Death Magnetic, myself, but I'll grant you that the drumming leaves a lot to be desired.

I think it would be cool to see Portnoy drum for Metallica, I'm just not sure I'd want him to have any creative input. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni

I just don't understand this post at all.  Any of it.

I know, this issue came up 4 or 5 years ago and I made a similar post and you had a similar comment :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Why hasn't enybody called out the OP on Lars leaving the band and then managing or producing the next album.

WUT?!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa

It's like a sonic vortex of massive truthiness that, if left unchecked, could literally collapse the fabric of reality as we know it  :eek

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Also for now on Lars will only go by Ulrich.  Just like Prince and Madonna.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
That's seriously your only problem with the hypothetical in the OP? I think including that one we're tolerating a lot more about it :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I know, this issue came up 4 or 5 years ago and I made a similar post and you had a similar comment :lol

Oh.  :lol  Forgot about that.

Without going point by point, I guess the "bigger picture" areas where your post just doesn't make sense to me are:
(1) I don't really consider Jason to be the bassist for the "Metallica we all grew up with."  That would be Cliff.  Jason was the "new guy."  And while melded his playing style very well with what the band were doing, and fit well with them onstage, even he was always clear tha he was somewhat of a misfit in a sense. 
(2) Trujillo has always been a thrash bassist, just from a little bit of a different angle with funk and punk thrown into the stuff he did with ST back in the day.  But I think even if you went back to the time when Cliff died and they were looking for a new bassist, if someone had said they were looking at Trujillo, I certainly would have felt that he would have been a logical choice back then. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
That's seriously your only problem with the hypothetical in the OP? I think including that one we're tolerating a lot more about it :lol

Well yeah but that was the most glaring think that was just skipped over and I found it very funny. :lol

Also, Jason was put through the ringer by the other guys in the band abd it seemed he always felt like an outcast.  The guys were very tough on him.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.

This right here.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
Without going point by point, I guess the "bigger picture" areas where your post just doesn't make sense to me are:
(1) I don't really consider Jason to be the bassist for the "Metallica we all grew up with."  That would be Cliff.  Jason was the "new guy."  And while melded his playing style very well with what the band were doing, and fit well with them onstage, even he was always clear tha he was somewhat of a misfit in a sense. 

Three points regarding that:
1. I'm twenty nine years old, I started listening to Metallica when I was a teenager, Jason's Metallica is indeed my main Metallica and that goes for whole lot of people of that age group.
2. You might have seen Metallica live in the 80's with Cliff and lived through the RTL and MOP release dates and consequent tours but that's somewhat of a hardcore case and rarity as -even in the older age group- it's somewhat exclusive to U.S. audience, not even casual music audiences, but the people who found Metallica without MTV or radio*. Point being regarding the 80's and Cliff Burton: With no videos, radio play or T.V attention, if you're not in California or an absolute hardcore of a metal head with metal head connections: you have no "stuck" image Metallica with Cliff Burton.
* I know there are at least 5 people of that group here including Barto, Orbert and chefkingshmegland.
3. All the official and unofficial releases that featured the band live on video came after Cliff Burton's passing, nothing but Cliff Em' All and a few more audience shot footage to make a fan -who does not fall in the category mentioned in the second point- cling on or connect to Cliff Burton's Metallica.
All that being said I have to make something clear: Cliff Burton was most definitely the most creative of all Metallica bassists and the most unique in style and technique, I'm only talking about image of Metallica which most fans connect with, saw live and familiarized with, which is Jason's one.

(2) Trujillo has always been a thrash bassist, just from a little bit of a different angle with funk and punk thrown into the stuff he did with ST back in the day.  But I think even if you went back to the time when Cliff died and they were looking for a new bassist, if someone had said they were looking at Trujillo, I certainly would have felt that he would have been a logical choice back then.

Metallica auditioned Les Claypool from Primus and he was certainly a better bass player than both Newsted and Trujillo at the time but they didn't call him back, he did not fit the image and the vibe, apparently that part I would never be able to explain but they were not looking for technicality nor unique styles, they were looking for a straight forward GRRRR metal head who looked and behaved like they did, could learn and play the songs and would do as told and Newsted was that guy. Burton was had the best of both worlds and that was hard to replace, perhaps cause they didn't look long enough as they had to get back on the road.
The standards they used in the 2003 bass auditions were completely different than those of 1986 and Trujillo worked for them.
Finally let me get a little shallow here and say that how Trujillo presents himself is also a big factor in my rejection of his fitness for Metallica, the fuckin basket ball jersey and the shorts and the whole spider walk thing is just too.. something else other than Metallica, something cool and interesting that I would find appealing in a different band but not within the Metallica themes and vibe at all.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
For me first and foremost is the guys playing ability, not how he looks.

Online Adami

For me first and foremost is the guys playing ability, not how he looks.

Sadly that argument doesn't hold up for bands who wish to be commercially successful.
fanticide.bandcamp.com