General > Movies and TV

Do I need Cable Television?

(1/4) > >>

Progmetty:
Going on 6 month unemployed now; my need to cut spending grows sharper everyday and I wanted some advice and recommendations about an idea I'm currently contemplating.
I've heard of Netflix and Hulu Plus for the last few years but never cared to look into them as options for viewing T.V and movies as I've always had cable T.V and whatever show I miss I either download or buy the DVD if it's already out.
I have a PS3 and I would use it to view these services on my T.V. All I need to keep is high speed internet in that case.
Do you guys think that live cable T.V is replaceable by one of these services? is there gonna be loss of picture quality? how late does aired T.V shows make it over to these services? are Netflix and Hulu equals when it comes to the last two questions?
Also for those who use or totally depend on such services, share your take on it's performance please.

Adami:
I have netflix and I haven't missed cable in the almost 2 years since I ditched it.

Cable:

--- Quote from: Adami on June 16, 2012, 11:00:38 AM ---I have netflix and I haven't missed cable in the almost 2 years since I ditched it.

--- End quote ---

This. We do the discs though.

When I'm at my parents (now as I type this), I find myself flipping aimlessly around cable. It is overpriced, and will continue to go up while the content can be debated if it is going down in quality (paid programming on cable stations at night? WTF??!)

You do not "need" this expendable commodity, especially in your unfortunate situation. Unless you cannot live without sports, that is the only thing cable has a definite advantage. DVR is quite handy, but can live without.

The alternatives of using websites of the four majors, and the options you mentioned are satisfying considering the price. My wife and I did no cable or content for a year, so it can be done.

Internet is another story.

Progmetty:

--- Quote from: CableX 1814 on June 16, 2012, 11:04:48 AM ---DVR is quite handy, but can live without.

--- End quote ---

DVR has become very important as we never really view shows at airing time, unless it's a favorite tv show airing a new episode and those are numbered.
But otherwise DVR is instant viewing of a recorded program which is a given with Netflix and Hulu so the feature won't be missed, if I understand correctly.

El Barto:
I'm going on four years without cable.  Absolutely love it.  However, I have no interest in what the networks show nowadays, and you (probably more so your wife) likely do.  Still, the ability to program your own viewing is fantastic.  I only watch what I'm in the mood to watch, not what happens to be on at the moment.  If I had shows I had to watch each week, I might feel differently, but I don't. 

My strategy for something like that (network shows I enjoy) would be to ignore it for a couple of months, and then obtain the entire season.  You'd miss out on seeing it each week, but you'd be able to take in an entire season in 2 weeks, which I find more enjoyable.  It's more immersive that way.  You're probably already doing something similar with your DVR. 

For my interests, I find broadband internet and CATV to be completely redundant. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version