Author Topic: Do I need Cable Television?  (Read 2264 times)

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
Do I need Cable Television?
« on: June 16, 2012, 10:59:45 AM »
Going on 6 month unemployed now; my need to cut spending grows sharper everyday and I wanted some advice and recommendations about an idea I'm currently contemplating.
I've heard of Netflix and Hulu Plus for the last few years but never cared to look into them as options for viewing T.V and movies as I've always had cable T.V and whatever show I miss I either download or buy the DVD if it's already out.
I have a PS3 and I would use it to view these services on my T.V. All I need to keep is high speed internet in that case.
Do you guys think that live cable T.V is replaceable by one of these services? is there gonna be loss of picture quality? how late does aired T.V shows make it over to these services? are Netflix and Hulu equals when it comes to the last two questions?
Also for those who use or totally depend on such services, share your take on it's performance please.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Do I need Cable Television?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 11:00:38 AM »
I have netflix and I haven't missed cable in the almost 2 years since I ditched it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cable

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 11:04:48 AM »
I have netflix and I haven't missed cable in the almost 2 years since I ditched it.

This. We do the discs though.

When I'm at my parents (now as I type this), I find myself flipping aimlessly around cable. It is overpriced, and will continue to go up while the content can be debated if it is going down in quality (paid programming on cable stations at night? WTF??!)

You do not "need" this expendable commodity, especially in your unfortunate situation. Unless you cannot live without sports, that is the only thing cable has a definite advantage. DVR is quite handy, but can live without.

The alternatives of using websites of the four majors, and the options you mentioned are satisfying considering the price. My wife and I did no cable or content for a year, so it can be done.

Internet is another story.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 07:39:31 PM by CableX 1814 »
---

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 11:09:52 AM »
DVR is quite handy, but can live without.

DVR has become very important as we never really view shows at airing time, unless it's a favorite tv show airing a new episode and those are numbered.
But otherwise DVR is instant viewing of a recorded program which is a given with Netflix and Hulu so the feature won't be missed, if I understand correctly.

I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 11:12:33 AM »
I'm going on four years without cable.  Absolutely love it.  However, I have no interest in what the networks show nowadays, and you (probably more so your wife) likely do.  Still, the ability to program your own viewing is fantastic.  I only watch what I'm in the mood to watch, not what happens to be on at the moment.  If I had shows I had to watch each week, I might feel differently, but I don't. 

My strategy for something like that (network shows I enjoy) would be to ignore it for a couple of months, and then obtain the entire season.  You'd miss out on seeing it each week, but you'd be able to take in an entire season in 2 weeks, which I find more enjoyable.  It's more immersive that way.  You're probably already doing something similar with your DVR. 

For my interests, I find broadband internet and CATV to be completely redundant. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 11:41:03 AM »
I'm an NFL/NBA/NCAA football addict. Is there a cheaper alternative to cable?
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 11:51:11 AM »
I love my cable and love my DVR through my 42" LCD
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 01:23:15 PM »

Probably not, especially since the cable/satellite/Direct TV packages for sports are well nigh outrageous.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 02:15:44 PM »
I watched network games via OTA broadcasts in HD, and streamed out of market games via p2p.  The picture quality via p2p isn't too good, but the advantage is that you get feeds from other countries which are 1000x less annoying than American networks.  Better commercials and/or fewer of them.  The Brits just cut to their guys in the box and discus the game rather than showing ads (and they're actually insightful).  Once one of the Scandinavian channels ran a 4 minute long video during a break that was nothing but crappy pop music and upskirt footage of NFL cheerleaders.  Huge improvement.  What I will say is that every year the p2p quality improves as more and more people cut their cable and the number of broadband users increases.  Still not HD, but perfectly watchable. 

The other option that I used was to sign up for Uverse service just before week 1, and cancelled it right after the conference championship games (you watch the superbowl elsewhere, anyway).  Because of all of the new subscriber discounts and rebates, I actually turned a profit one year.  The second year wound up costing me like $12 a month.  Still, it's easier to just fend for yourself.  Just make sure they don't have an early termination penalty, like DirecTV, which is the sole reason I never got the NFL Sunday Ticket.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2012, 02:42:15 PM »
if a show is on hulu plus... most new episodes will be on the next day. There some shows that aren't on Hulu Plus... and those I have been able to watch on the network's website (Mainly NBC shows... Apprentice and The Voice were the ones I had to watch that werent on Hulu). IMO for TV Hulu Plus > Netflix
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2012, 03:12:18 PM »
BTW, you don't have to have cable to get DVR. There are HD OTA tuners for your computer and you just set up windows media center (or some similar software if you're not using windows) to use the tuners and set it up to record. And there are similar PC tuners for cable that work with a cablecard to get the same effect.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2012, 04:56:49 PM »
I don't know why we still have cable....I almost never turn on the TV anymore. I only watch 2 or 3 channels. Most of my favorite shows I watch online.

OP, if you have to ask, the answer is probably no.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2012, 07:37:23 PM »
Sometimes I end up trying to watch TV when I stay at the hotel. It never ends very well, and I usually end up having every commercial memorized within a half hour of programming. Add to the fact that there's never anything good on, and the fact that I can watch pretty much anything I feel like on Netflix/Hulu/Amazon (and there are definitely some other...shadier options for the stuff they don't pick up), and cable actually ends up making negative sense. That's less than zero.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2012, 09:48:30 PM »
I have DirecTV with DVR service, and my MO the past few years is to suspend my service from mid-May to mid-August since it is mostly re-runs and movies and hockey and football seasons are done, and use Netflix.  While I don't even have to pay for the service (I had an ex put her profile info on my PS3 so I just leach her service), if she cut me off I would probably drop the $9/month for it myself.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2012, 11:39:27 AM »
I'm late on replying cause I was doing some extra researching with the opinions you guys gave me.

I'm going on four years without cable.  Absolutely love it.  However, I have no interest in what the networks show nowadays, and you (probably more so your wife) likely do.  Still, the ability to program your own viewing is fantastic.  I only watch what I'm in the mood to watch, not what happens to be on at the moment.  If I had shows I had to watch each week, I might feel differently, but I don't.

I used to be exactly the same but now I have a couple of shows I like to watch weekly as I started enjoying discussing it with fellow fans online the next day or after the airing, like The Walking Dead or MacFarlane's shows.

My strategy for something like that (network shows I enjoy) would be to ignore it for a couple of months, and then obtain the entire season.  You'd miss out on seeing it each week, but you'd be able to take in an entire season in 2 weeks, which I find more enjoyable.  It's more immersive that way.  You're probably already doing something similar with your DVR.

I dunno the exact capacity of my DVR but it's the standard one AT&T installs when they install the cable, it cannot hold an entire season of anything. It hold around 3 movies and the latest 3 or 4 episodes of the shows we watch, basically cause myself and my wife watch around 12 shows combined.

if a show is on hulu plus... most new episodes will be on the next day. There some shows that aren't on Hulu Plus... and those I have been able to watch on the network's website (Mainly NBC shows... Apprentice and The Voice were the ones I had to watch that werent on Hulu). IMO for TV Hulu Plus > Netflix

Now I signed up for the free trails of both services, 1 month on Netflix and 1 week on Hulu Plus.
I have minor problems with both services, like the lack of the only two talk shows I watch; Conan and Colbert, at least for PS3 viewing.
Pros and cons compared, Netflix is a tad better.
My problems with Hulu included commercials that I can't skip or fast forward through, not even the youtube kinda skip half way through option. That problem made my wife completely reject Hulu.
No HBO shows.. not a problem for me as the only HBO show I'm interested in is Curb, but my wife watches all their medieval looking shows, I think there are three of them.

I don't know why we still have cable....I almost never turn on the TV anymore. I only watch 2 or 3 channels. Most of my favorite shows I watch online.

I'm the same way man, I only go to the TV for:
TBS for Conan.
Comedy Central for Colbert Report.
There's that little issue of the Widescreen HD renditions of Seinfeld, Married with Children, early Family Guy and American Dad which only TBS offers but I'll just have to forget about those for now.
But the major advantage of going to the T.V over watching online is THE FUCKIN COUCH in the living room. My computer desk/chair set up is very study oriented and nowhere as comfy as the couch :(

We started watching LOST on Netflix as part of the trail and I'm enjoying the process.
I have not yet looked into what Amazon Instant Video has to offer that's different, they don't mention anything about what shows they have available.
I can keep both Netflix and Hulu and still be paying less than half of what I was paying for Uverse service.
Now the question will be show I disconnect the cable and keep the internet from AT&T or cancel the whole thing and shop for internet else where, looking into that now.
I need to get a PS3 remote control cause my wife refuses to deal with with PS3 controller heh, it's 24$ at BestBuy.
I need to consult the PS3 forums about the PS3 ability to handle all the extra work and longer hours, overheating problems and such. It's gonna be the main device for everything entertainment.. I use it as a DVD/BluRay player as well.

Offline Breaking All Illusions

• "The rebel in us all, someday gets tired of being pushed around"
  • "This is the life we belong to, our gift divine"
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2012, 07:20:03 PM »
No one needs any form of television. I think most television is dumb. I use to like a lot of shows, but I am not entertained by TV anymore. If there are shows you like to watch, I suggest you save a lot of money and get Netflix. And search for shows online for free.
"And at last the time has come to unite again as one, to the power of the earth I'm calling, crossing bridges in the sky, on a journey to renew my life. Shaman take my hand" John Petrucci(Dream Theater,Bridges In The  Sky, A Dramatic Turn Of Events, 2011)

Offline Cable

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2012, 07:56:55 PM »

Probably not, especially since the cable/satellite/Direct TV packages for sports are well nigh outrageous.

+1. If you were in my media market, FOX Sports Net has 75% of the local pro teams. For me it is no big deal, as I follow an out of state football team, and only really care about the NFL which is the team FSN does not carry.

I'm the same way man, I only go to the TV for:
TBS for Conan.
Comedy Central for Colbert Report.
There's that little issue of the Widescreen HD renditions of Seinfeld, Married with Children, early Family Guy and American Dad which only TBS offers but I'll just have to forget about those for now.
But the major advantage of going to the T.V over watching online is THE FUCKIN COUCH in the living room. My computer desk/chair set up is very study oriented and nowhere as comfy as the couch :(

*snip*

I need to get a PS3 remote control cause my wife refuses to deal with with PS3 controller heh, it's 24$ at BestBuy.

*snip*

Well, can you hook up your PS3 to your TV in the room with the couch? Problem solved right there versus watching @ a desktop setup. Newer Bluray players also have the Netflix option, sometimes more.

You will lose out of stuff, and unfortunately things like Conan and Colbert, all of HGTV and the like will be gone. Netflix is more about the fiction shows I would say, and very little about live comedy/variety shows and "reality" shows.
---

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2012, 10:06:35 AM »
You are obviously a sports fan. I have to watch my teams play. I would not be happy with having just Netflix. In fact, I ditched Netflix.
but if its between eating or cable TV, get rid of that shit.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi