Author Topic: Is this a dick move?  (Read 1487 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Is this a dick move?
« on: April 25, 2013, 03:30:42 PM »
At Quiznos today, and some guy is there to order eight sandwiches and three cups of soup.  Not only did it make the lady in front of me, me and the nine customers behind me (yes, I counted...what the hell, I had the time :lol) wait for forever during the lunch rush, but he then paid with three different credit/debit cards.  I am sure the people who were on their lunch break and in a hurry appreciated waiting all day for that douche.  I am a patient guy, but that is a dick move.  If you are gonna order that many sandwiches from a sub shop where there is only one line, freaking do it over the phone or computer as a call-in/take-out order, instead of in person and making that many people in the single line wait. 

Anyone disagree with my premise that it was a dick move?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Is this a dick move?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 03:32:56 PM »
I'd be more upset at the 3 cards.  Hell, I'm a debit guy but no way in hell would I say, "I'll have a sandwich, here's my card."  WFT?! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 03:34:07 PM »
Yeah, you call that shit in ahead of time.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 03:39:51 PM »
When i worked at a Subway and people did that, I always gave them our card and asked them to call it in. It depended on the customer with how I asked, but it was usually something to the effect of "Hey, just to let you know, we can do call in orders. That way, you guys can have more time on your lunch breaks to eat, and we can get everything ready for you, so all you have to do is come in, pay and leave." Worked most of the time.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 03:44:35 PM »
I have a household of five people.   Sometimes dinner goes wrong at the last minute.   On those occasions I have had to go to Subway to order 5 sandwiches.   When that happens, they usually have two sandwich makers and at least one customer will "play through" as it were.    It honestly never occurred to me to call it in...I will try to do that from now on.

"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 03:47:00 PM »
That person is probably so clueless they probably didn't even get it or care. You see this kind of stuff all too often. That same person probably would have had a complete shit fit if they were one of those waiting in the line.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 03:47:18 PM »
It certainly annoys me when people do that, and particularly the credit card thing, but I don't know as I'd go so far as to call it a dick move. Consider that all nine of them could have gone down there and been in line ahead of you, and then there'd have been 9 cards, as well.

Also, seems like the staff could have done something about it as well. If I'm the manager there, I'm taking the guy's order and giving it to the phone order prep guys. He can have a drink while he waits patiently.

And on a side note, Quiznos seems to have tanked pretty hard in the Dallas market. Good riddance, if you ask me.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 03:51:17 PM »
If I was the 9th person in line, I would have been fine with that.  That is completely different.

Also, there were only two people working: the manager and a newer guy (he's been there a few weeks or so).  That store is not a super busy one, so they often only go with two workers. 

jammindude, this thread has already served a good purpose if you start doing that. :tup :tup

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 03:52:55 PM »
It sounds to me like the guy was picking up lunch for a bunch of people at work.  I've been that guy before, and believe me, he wasn't doing it to be a dick, he regrets being so damned nice, and he'll try like hell to never do this again.

He felt like hitting Quizno's for lunch, a co-worker asked if he could grab something for him, and pretty soon he's got a list of eight sandwiches and three soups to pick up.  He collects money from everyone, but half the people don't have cash, they've just got cards, so he gets to deal with all that, too.  As I said, last time he'll ever do this.

If the whole office had gone to Quizno's and ordered their food separately, they'd all be ahead of you in line and it would take even longer because they're all separate orders.  Plus, Quizno's is stupid for only having one register open at lunchtime anyway.

Edit: Ninja'd, a lot, but whatever.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 03:56:53 PM »
Yeah, as someone who has worked behind the counter, I know what you guys are saying. But if you're ordering for 4+ people, it's really nice to call in. Even if you're going to be there in 10-15 minutes, that's 10-15 more minutes we have to get them ready.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013, 04:00:59 PM »
At Quiznos today, and some guy is there to order eight sandwiches and three cups of soup.  Not only did it make the lady in front of me, me and the nine customers behind me (yes, I counted...what the hell, I had the time :lol) wait for forever during the lunch rush, but he then paid with three different credit/debit cards.  I am sure the people who were on their lunch break and in a hurry appreciated waiting all day for that douche.  I am a patient guy, but that is a dick move.  If you are gonna order that many sandwiches from a sub shop where there is only one line, freaking do it over the phone or computer as a call-in/take-out order, instead of in person and making that many people in the single line wait. 

Anyone disagree with my premise that it was a dick move?

This kind of selfish asshole shit fucking pisses me off, fuck people, I would have stabbed him when he walked away with his food!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2013, 04:01:30 PM »
No.  But I think this is definitely a dick move:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSsTnfqTfPg
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2013, 04:04:50 PM »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2013, 04:09:04 PM »
No.  But I think this is definitely a dick move:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSsTnfqTfPg
I think it moved!

:lol :rollin
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2013, 04:10:14 PM »
I was part of a group doing this at a double line place that had just opened for the day. We told them they could take their time filling a ~20 sandwich order (told them an hour was no problem and we could come back). They were still upset we didn't call it in. Not sure what good it would have done, we were working across the street and figured a written list was quicker for them to put in. I guess they felt rushed because we handed it to them, they did it way faster than we needed. ...so the moral is call it in a day ahead?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2013, 04:10:44 PM »

Offline Mr. Ister

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2013, 04:12:36 PM »
It sounds to me like the guy was picking up lunch for a bunch of people at work.  I've been that guy before, and believe me, he wasn't doing it to be a dick, he regrets being so damned nice, and he'll try like hell to never do this again.

He felt like hitting Quizno's for lunch, a co-worker asked if he could grab something for him, and pretty soon he's got a list of eight sandwiches and three soups to pick up.  He collects money from everyone, but half the people don't have cash, they've just got cards, so he gets to deal with all that, too.  As I said, last time he'll ever do this.

If the whole office had gone to Quizno's and ordered their food separately, they'd all be ahead of you in line and it would take even longer because they're all separate orders.  Plus, Quizno's is stupid for only having one register open at lunchtime anyway.

The problem is the guy buying had really poor foresight and didn't think 3 cards to pay for 8 people's meals would be a hassle at all.
But if the dung comes out
He shits the death upon a man
Throw them a rag
Better to save the menstruate
Then surrender tuna sea crap
Whale!

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2013, 04:25:41 PM »

The problem is the guy buying had really poor foresight and didn't think 3 cards to pay for 8 people's meals would be a hassle at all.
...is it? When I worked retail we did this on occasion, usually for one spouse to hide the cost of a purchase from the other half, and it was very simple to do. A customer could probably split a single bill with 5 cards quicker than paying by check.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2013, 04:26:46 PM »
It was a hassle, and there wasn't a damned thing he could do about it.  No amount of foresight can save you when your asshole co-worker announces "Hey, Bob's going to Quizno's! Does anyone want anything?" and people start mobbing you.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2013, 04:28:33 PM »
Tell them your co-worker is paying and ask for his credit card.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2013, 04:29:46 PM »
It was a hassle, and there wasn't a damned thing he could do about it.  No amount of foresight can save you when your asshole co-worker announces "Hey, Bob's going to Quizno's! Does anyone want anything?" and people start mobbing you.

I figured it was something along those lines, but it is still not any less annoying for the many other customers.  What if someone only gets 30 minutes for lunch and now has to wait 10 minutes just to order their food and get it?  When you go to a sub sandwich place, even during the lunch rush, you can get usually get in and out pretty quickly.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2013, 04:43:10 PM »

I figured it was something along those lines, but it is still not any less annoying for the many other customers.  What if someone only gets 30 minutes for lunch and now has to wait 10 minutes just to order their food and get it?  When you go to a sub sandwich place, even during the lunch rush, you can get usually get in and out pretty quickly.
Now this is where I run into a problem. Ten minutes is ten minutes (which isn't an unreasonable amount of time to fill a lunch order anyway). Whether it's one guy ordering for 10, or 10 people, the amount of time is the same and you just have to live with it; they were there first. Also, if they only had a manager and a trainee, the same people were going to have to put the order together and ring it up anyway.

And while I get what Orbert's saying, the second somebody else includes themselves in my lunch run, I tell them what I want and to call it in. It actually saves me time. And I don't accept credit cards unless they're paying for mine, as well.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2013, 05:40:17 PM »
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen