Author Topic: The P/R-side Chat Thread v.2  (Read 333266 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: The P/R-side Chat Thread v.2
« Reply #980 on: January 24, 2011, 03:23:59 PM »
I just watched some more clips of O'Reilly. I don't get why that guy is still on tv. What a ignorant lieing bastard.

Most watched news show in Amerika.

As for the atheist, I think he was right about something.  A helluva lot of the Americans that profess themselves to be Christians don't really buy into it.  Plenty of them like to think there's a God, and a few don't really even believe that.  Looking at the discrepancy between professed atheists here and in Europe, I'd be willing to be that the numbers are a lot closer than they appear, it's just that Europeans have the balls to admit what Americans won't. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline jsem

« Reply #981 on: January 24, 2011, 03:26:34 PM »
Europe has been in essence post-christian for quite some time already.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #982 on: January 26, 2011, 12:49:13 PM »
3 of my friends are in prison and one is missing, I should have been there, I'm the one who bitched most and started protests in college but now I'm safely away from it all sipping my diet coke and reading about it on the net :(
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #983 on: January 26, 2011, 01:18:55 PM »
3 of my friends are in prison and one is missing, I should have been there, I'm the one who bitched most and started protests in college but now I'm safely away from it all sipping my diet coke and reading about it on the net :(
Maybe you could help leaking info out and publishing on Twitter et al. I dunno.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #984 on: January 26, 2011, 07:42:12 PM »
I'm writing what we call "recruiting articles" as we call them, it's been used and some people like them but that's not really like being there and getting tear gassed, 6 people so far beaten to death, this is the biggest attempt of revolution our lazy asses has ever tried.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #985 on: January 27, 2011, 07:01:24 AM »
First Tunisia, then Egypt now Yemen. I think this deserves its own thread.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #986 on: January 27, 2011, 08:48:16 AM »
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/06/oreilly-god-causes-tides_n_805262.html

lol
:lol
I think the atheist guy was a tad aggresive, but the other guy was pretty stupid.

Also, 0.4% atheist in America? Didn't know it was that little (if it's true). I just wiki'd it and it seems its 27% over here.

edit: Just watched his clip with Dawkins. Why is that guy still on tv?  :|

From the Religion in America wiki: Unaffiliated, including atheist or agnostic (11.6%[12] to 15% [4])

Even that could be a gross underestimation.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
« Reply #987 on: February 08, 2011, 03:04:26 PM »
More senseless hysteria.  According to the Dallas Women's foundation, 38,000 child sex workers would be shipped into Dallas to meet the demands of pervy football fans.  Seriously, doesn't anybody question anything any more?

https://www.dallasobserver.com/2011-01-27/news/the-super-bowl-prostitute-myth-100-000-hookers-won-t-be-showing-up-in-dallas/

Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Riceball

• It's the economy, stupid.
« Reply #988 on: February 08, 2011, 07:50:57 PM »
The US seems to be slowly falling to pieces. For the media to even publish such drivel is horrendous.

Although, the number one story in Australia at the moment is our leader of the Federal Opposition saying to a soldier that "shit happens" in war when talking about a casualty. Seriously, this journo from one of our major TV stations ambushed the guy. His reaction is priceless:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yv7KjYFqxgA

EDIT: Skip the first 45 seconds.
I punch those numbers into my calculator and they make a happy face.

A $500 Musical Odyssey: Now accepting nominations

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #989 on: February 09, 2011, 06:15:45 AM »
Of course it's very blunt, but he does have (sort of) a point. When the first Dutch casualty fell in Afghanistan, the newspapers and television were full of stories that we should retreat and how tragic everything was. But come on, there was a war going on. You can expect some people to die. Were we sending them in expecting them to have the best time of their lives and all come back completely healthy?

Also, no one seemed to give a damn when the reports came out detailing the deaths of a lot of innocent civilians (not by Dutch troops btw, but still...).

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #990 on: February 09, 2011, 11:52:47 AM »
Catholic church gives blessing to iPhone app

The Catholic Church has approved an iPhone app that helps guide worshippers through confession.

The Confession program has gone on sale through iTunes for £1.19 ($1.99).

Described as "the perfect aid for every penitent", it offers users tips and guidelines to help them with the sacrament.

Now senior church officials in both the UK and US have given it their seal of approval, in what is thought to be a first.

The app takes users through the sacrament - in which Catholics admit their wrongdoings - and allows them to keep track of their sins.

It also allows them to examine their conscience based on personalised factors such as age, sex and marital status - but it is not intended to replace traditional confession entirely.

Instead, it encourages users to understand their actions and then visit their priest for absolution.
Continue reading the main story

Start Quote

Our desire is to invite Catholics to engage in their faith through digital technology”
Patrick Leinen
Little iApps

"Our desire is to invite Catholics to engage in their faith through digital technology," Patrick Leinen of developer Little iApps told Reuters.

The launch comes shortly after Pope Benedict XVI gave urging to Christians to embrace digital communication and make their presence felt online.

In his World Communications Address on 24 January, he said it was not a sin to use social networking sites - and particularly encouraged young Catholics to share important information with each other online.

"I invite young people above all to make good use of their presence in the digital world," he said.

He warned them to keep in mind that digital communication was part of a bigger picture, however.

"It is important always to remember that virtual contact cannot and must not take the place of direct human contact with people at every level of our lives."

Confession's developers, who are based in Indiana, said they took the Pope's words to heart when they were preparing the application for public consumption.

"Our goal with this project is to offer a digital application that is truly 'new media at the service of the word'," said the company.

The firm said the app was developed with assistance from several priests and had been given the church's imprimatur by Bishop Kevin Rhoades of the Diocese of Fort Wayne in Indiana.

A spokesperson from the Catholic Bishops' Conference of England and Wales told BBC News the app was a "useful tool to help people prepare for the Sacrament of Reconciliation".

"The Church believes in embracing new technology and this creative app will hopefully help people to make a good confession."

It is thought to be the first time the church has approved a mobile phone application, although it is not entirely unfamiliar with the digital world.

In 2007, the Vatican launched its own YouTube channel.

Two years later created a Facebook application that lets users send virtual postcards featuring the pontiff.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12391129

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #991 on: February 09, 2011, 12:21:08 PM »
And today the Vatican said it doesn't allow it. :(

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
E.F. Benson

Offline Nigerius Rex

• Thats Mr. Doctor Professor Patrick
« Reply #993 on: February 10, 2011, 07:55:05 PM »
Funny, but that was a little too much rambling.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #994 on: February 10, 2011, 08:05:41 PM »
You miss the point.  It was an interview for Archive of American Television; not an HBO special.  What we normally get to see is the streamlined and well crafted snippet of the man's thoughts.  This was the real deal. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Nigerius Rex

« Reply #995 on: February 10, 2011, 08:24:05 PM »
The real deal is him making several interesting observations but rambling too much. Yes I got that.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #996 on: February 12, 2011, 08:12:08 AM »
Does anyone here happen to know if TopNews is a legit news source?

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #997 on: February 15, 2011, 10:21:25 PM »
Apparently the House is discussing the possibility of gov't shutdown in March.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #998 on: February 16, 2011, 08:09:35 PM »
Apparently the House is discussing the possibility of gov't shutdown in March.
Not at all surprising.  In fact, quite predictable.  Naturally it has nothing to do with the actual spending, but more about trying to stick it to Obama.  The last time they tried this they got their asses handed to them by a fairly popular Clinton.  They really came off looking like assholes and idiots.  With Obama appearing somewhat week at the moment, they're looking at is a means of keeping the base energized.  If they can take him on and win, it'll look quite well for them. 

Personally, I doubt it'll work.  For one thing,  Obama's actually been doing a pretty good job of playing the reasonable type.  He's looking fairly even-handed in his dealings with the GOP.  I suspect he'll be able to play that against them.  Plus, he's got history on his side.  People will feel naturally inclined to side with the Executive as they did last time.  Lastly,  the White House will be in the passive role.  It'll be the Republican congress that actually shuts things down, and that'll also look bad to the people who are hurt by it. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Nigerius Rex

« Reply #999 on: February 28, 2011, 12:17:04 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7bi7vHsbVg&feature=player_embedded

Never even knew Canada at one point was worse than the US in terms of debt.

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #1000 on: March 08, 2011, 05:47:17 AM »
Ah yes, here we go:

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1001 on: March 12, 2011, 10:20:29 AM »

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1003 on: March 30, 2011, 09:12:29 AM »
A good article on the downsides of the current spending cut policy: https://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/03/29/why-were-fasting/?hp

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1004 on: April 03, 2011, 04:26:19 AM »
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #1005 on: April 10, 2011, 12:13:24 AM »
Our "College Republicans" group on campus got the university to pay $25,000 for Karl Rove to come speak. I want to vomit.

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #1006 on: April 19, 2011, 11:04:44 PM »
Our "College Republicans" group on campus got the university to pay $25,000 for Karl Rove to come speak. I want to vomit.

Just for the record, I identify as a republican, yet I agree with your statement.

when will there be a candidate that appeals to us moderate republicans?
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #1007 on: April 20, 2011, 06:22:32 AM »

When the hardcore rightwing base of your party shut up.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #1008 on: April 20, 2011, 06:59:31 PM »

Or when the moderates grow a pair, and stop pandering to the wingnuts for the sake of a few votes.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1009 on: April 23, 2011, 03:30:04 PM »
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #1010 on: April 23, 2011, 10:02:41 PM »

Or when the moderates grow a pair, and stop pandering to the wingnuts for the sake of a few votes.

we honestly don't pander, i have been going to lengths to distance myself from the types of palin, etc. I guarantee you that the only way that the republican party has a chance of beating obama in 2012 is to nominate a representative that isn't a right wing nutjob.
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1011 on: April 25, 2011, 10:08:12 PM »
I was curious about why every doctor in Amerika is so gung-ho to put everybody on SSRI's.  Not even my cynical ass would think that they're all on the take.  Most of them actually do want what's best for their patients.  Found this article which seems pretty solid.  You don't have to buy anybody's support.  You just have to buy enough time with them to get your foot in the door.  It's another fine example of a situation that causes a great deal of trouble that nobody wants to fix. 

https://www.scu.edu/ethics/publications/submitted/morreim/prescribing.html

When you ask doctors whether this kind of drug marketing is effective, the answer is always the same: "It doesn't influence me at all. They're not going to buy my soul with a laser pointer." In a recent syndicated newspaper column, one doctor commented, "I blame the pin-striped MBAs, who mistakenly believe that physicians are going to prescribe certain medicines because the company plies them with pens."
A recent letter in the Journal of the American Medical Association illustrates how effective drug advertising can be. It describes a patient who came into the hospital with an infected insect bite. The intern who first saw the patient first sensibly wanted to prescribe a nice, inexpensive penicillin, which is the drug of choice for a minor infection. But the resident overruled the intern and favored a more "modern" choice for this "severely" ill patient. He decided the patient had to have a brand-new antibiotic at $183 a day.
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1012 on: April 25, 2011, 10:13:13 PM »
I was curious about why every doctor in Amerika is so gung-ho to put everybody on SSRI's.  Not even my cynical ass would think that they're all on the take.  Most of them actually do want what's best for their patients.  Found this article which seems pretty solid.  You don't have to buy anybody's support.  You just have to buy enough time with them to get your foot in the door.  It's another fine example of a situation that causes a great deal of trouble that nobody wants to fix. 

https://www.scu.edu/ethics/publications/submitted/morreim/prescribing.html

When you ask doctors whether this kind of drug marketing is effective, the answer is always the same: "It doesn't influence me at all. They're not going to buy my soul with a laser pointer." In a recent syndicated newspaper column, one doctor commented, "I blame the pin-striped MBAs, who mistakenly believe that physicians are going to prescribe certain medicines because the company plies them with pens."
A recent letter in the Journal of the American Medical Association illustrates how effective drug advertising can be. It describes a patient who came into the hospital with an infected insect bite. The intern who first saw the patient first sensibly wanted to prescribe a nice, inexpensive penicillin, which is the drug of choice for a minor infection. But the resident overruled the intern and favored a more "modern" choice for this "severely" ill patient. He decided the patient had to have a brand-new antibiotic at $183 a day.

Just part of the current paradigm. Hard work and struggle is seen as bad while quick fixes are seen as ideal.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #1013 on: April 28, 2011, 05:07:19 AM »
https://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2011/04/26/Robertson_Abortions_Promote_Lesbian_Equality/

Pat Robertson has come up with a new theory as to why liberals support abortion rights — it’s because they want to put lesbians and straight women on “a level playing field.”

On a recent episode of The 700 Club, discussing the battle over federal funding for Planned Parenthood, Robertson says President Obama supports the organization because of what the antigay minister calls the Left’s “culture of death.” Then Robertson says to cohost Terry Meeuwsen, “If a woman is a lesbian, what advantage does she have over a married woman? Or what deficiency does she have?”

Meeuwsen replies, “Well, she can’t have children” — ignoring the fact that lesbians can and do have children. Robertson says, “That’s exactly right. And so if these married women don’t have children, if they abort their babies, then that kind of puts them on a level playing field.”

lol
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1014 on: April 28, 2011, 06:13:06 AM »