Author Topic: The P/R-side Chat Thread v.2  (Read 333355 times)

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: The P/R-side Chat Thread v.2
« Reply #735 on: March 22, 2010, 02:22:33 PM »
Instead of a new health care bill, Congress should be working to enact a law that says a person must be intelligent, educated, and legally sane in order to quote Cicero. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #736 on: March 22, 2010, 02:36:30 PM »
Even if some do, people should start looking for the best option and not for better options. I mean, you guys used to have the best medical treatment and the great majority found it affordable. Those who couldn't, found a helping hand with charity. What I find baffling is why people aren't asking why.
I think everybody knows why.  All aspects of the industry have become incredibly expensive because all of the people within it are trying to get rich.  Doctors, hospitals, big pharm, lawyers, insurance companies. An entire subset of civilization, all trying to get rich off of humanities interest in staying alive.  When it was nothing more than a doctor who wanted to treat people, of course it was affordable.  The days of doctors taking livestock for payment are long past.  They all want to be driving Porsches now. 
You really think that it's because they want to be driving a fancy car that costs have risen up?

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #737 on: March 22, 2010, 02:42:03 PM »
Even if some do, people should start looking for the best option and not for better options. I mean, you guys used to have the best medical treatment and the great majority found it affordable. Those who couldn't, found a helping hand with charity. What I find baffling is why people aren't asking why.
I think everybody knows why.  All aspects of the industry have become incredibly expensive because all of the people within it are trying to get rich.  Doctors, hospitals, big pharm, lawyers, insurance companies. An entire subset of civilization, all trying to get rich off of humanities interest in staying alive.  When it was nothing more than a doctor who wanted to treat people, of course it was affordable.  The days of doctors taking livestock for payment are long past.  They all want to be driving Porsches now. 
You really think that it's because they want to be driving a fancy car that costs have risen up?
Of course that was a generalization, but I absolutely believe that the motivation of most doctors has changed from altruism to prestige and money. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #738 on: March 22, 2010, 04:31:17 PM »
Of the ones I personally know, the vast majority couldn't care less about prestige.  Money, perhaps.  But not at the expense of their patients.  Many feel entitled to make good money because of (1) the amount of time, effort, and money it took them to get to be a doctor in the first place; (2) the amount of time, stress, and personal commitment they put into their work; and (3) they have to spend an obscene amount of money on malpractice insurance because the odds are they will be sued multiple times for malpractice during their careers whether they actually commit malpractice or not.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #739 on: March 24, 2010, 10:51:31 AM »
George W. Bush doing his thing as always V. Haitians.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DtwkTS9mq8

:rollin

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #740 on: March 24, 2010, 02:48:43 PM »
George W. Bush doing his thing as always V. Haitians.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DtwkTS9mq8

Gotta say, wiping his hand on Clinton's sleeve was pretty slick. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #742 on: March 25, 2010, 12:19:20 PM »
 :lol :lol

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #744 on: April 04, 2010, 02:38:13 PM »

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #745 on: April 04, 2010, 02:52:44 PM »
Of the ones I personally know, the vast majority couldn't care less about prestige.  Money, perhaps.  But not at the expense of their patients.  Many feel entitled to make good money because of (1) the amount of time, effort, and money it took them to get to be a doctor in the first place; (2) the amount of time, stress, and personal commitment they put into their work; and (3) they have to spend an obscene amount of money on malpractice insurance because the odds are they will be sued multiple times for malpractice during their careers whether they actually commit malpractice or not.
Great post.  I have a number of friends becoming MD's and I can't think of a single one that is doing it for money or prestige.  The dedication they must have to have in order to finish all of their phases of training has to be incredible.  Now, some of the friends they've made in med school are pompous asses, but we can all meet that kind of person all over.

I think it is unfair to judge doctors so negatively.  They put so much time and effort into their field that if they don't actually have some sort of altruistic base their life must be miserable.  Money and prestige aren't going to make someone happy when their life is so closely attached to their job.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #746 on: April 04, 2010, 03:55:53 PM »
ICED EARTH SURVIVOR IS ONLINE! GO VOTE! NOW! PLEASE!

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #747 on: April 05, 2010, 04:20:54 AM »
I've spoken to a person who is becoming a doctor for the money. He laughed at me for studying computing science as I wouldn't get near as enough money as he would.

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #748 on: April 05, 2010, 07:27:41 AM »
I've spoken to a person who is becoming a doctor for the money. He laughed at me for studying computing science as I wouldn't get near as enough money as he would.
What an Iain.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #749 on: April 06, 2010, 01:51:22 AM »
"Man Attempts to Assassinate President Obama, 'But Not Because He's Black or Anything'"

https://www.theonion.com/video/man-attempts-to-assassinate-obama-but-not-because,17220/

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #750 on: April 06, 2010, 02:30:26 PM »
I wouldn't want to imply that all doctors care more about money than their patient's well being; I'm sure that's not the case.  My Dr. isn't raking in the dough, and I'm positive he genuinely cares about my health.  What I do think is that people trying to figure out what to do with their life don't suddenly go "I want to help total strangers for the rest of my life."  The money and the prestige are a big part the decision to become a doctor in the first place.

Riddle me this.  If doctors are still practicing for truly altruistic reasons, why is so much of America under-served?  People in bum-fuck Nevada have terrible access to medical treatment.  The people working in hospitals up there are the altruists.  They're working for next to nothing and living in the asshole of America.
E.F. Benson

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #751 on: April 16, 2010, 03:08:40 PM »
So my conservative cousin posted this video: https://www.spike.com/video/brilliant-woman/3212215 on his facebook, with the comment, "this is the best and brightest in CA, and if its not obvious enough, she is a democrat."

I hate him.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #752 on: April 17, 2010, 12:09:44 PM »
Dude, there's a chat thread here?

So....how about those healthcare subsidized marriages and stuff

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #753 on: April 17, 2010, 06:03:21 PM »
So my conservative cousin posted this video: https://www.spike.com/video/brilliant-woman/3212215 on his facebook, with the comment, "this is the best and brightest in CA, and if its not obvious enough, she is a democrat."

I hate him.
Watching that video made me die inside.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #754 on: April 18, 2010, 08:45:55 PM »
I'm watching our presidential debates and it's :corn:

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #755 on: April 21, 2010, 02:05:37 PM »
I doubt anybody cares, but the Dutch elections are going to be pretty interesting...

Offline AndyDT

FAO Millahh
« Reply #756 on: April 21, 2010, 03:28:49 PM »
Millahh - you're inbox is full.

Offline Neurasthenic

« Reply #757 on: April 22, 2010, 08:11:13 PM »
I doubt anybody cares, but the Dutch elections are going to be pretty interesting...
Tell us more!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #758 on: April 22, 2010, 08:16:17 PM »
GAD NABBIT SOMEONE BREAK THE TIE IN MY SURVIVOR!!!

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=12550.0

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #759 on: April 26, 2010, 05:34:59 AM »
Millahh - your inbox is full

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #760 on: April 28, 2010, 07:55:24 AM »

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #761 on: May 06, 2010, 02:56:23 PM »
Now that was a fun market plunge!

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #762 on: May 07, 2010, 04:22:53 PM »
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/06/rolando-negrin-full-body_n_566465.html

TSA screener Rolando Negrin is facing assault charges in a case that involves the controversial, full body scanners being adopted in airports as part of increased security measures.

The images produced by the powerful x-ray scanners--detailed enough to show breast implants--have been compared to "virtual strip-searching."

Negrin reportedly passed through the screener during a training session on how to use the device, and the revealing x-ray image of him produced by the x-ray prompted teasing from coworkers, "who joked about the size of the man's genitalia," reports The Smoking Gun.

The Smoking Gun adds,
"The X-ray revealed that [Negrin] has a small penis and co-workers made fun of him on a daily basis," reported cops. Following his arrest, Negrin told police that he "could not take the jokes anymore and lost his mind.

Negrin allegedly confronted his colleague, Hugo Osorno, in a parking lot after work and assaulted him with a police baton while demanding an apology.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #763 on: May 07, 2010, 04:33:24 PM »
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/06/rolando-negrin-full-body_n_566465.html

TSA screener Rolando Negrin is facing assault charges in a case that involves the controversial, full body scanners being adopted in airports as part of increased security measures.

The images produced by the powerful x-ray scanners--detailed enough to show breast implants--have been compared to "virtual strip-searching."

Negrin reportedly passed through the screener during a training session on how to use the device, and the revealing x-ray image of him produced by the x-ray prompted teasing from coworkers, "who joked about the size of the man's genitalia," reports The Smoking Gun.

The Smoking Gun adds,
"The X-ray revealed that [Negrin] has a small penis and co-workers made fun of him on a daily basis," reported cops. Following his arrest, Negrin told police that he "could not take the jokes anymore and lost his mind.

Negrin allegedly confronted his colleague, Hugo Osorno, in a parking lot after work and assaulted him with a police baton while demanding an apology.
I was gonna set that guy's mugshot up as my wallpaper at the shop.  While the story itself is funny as hell, the picture is absolutely priceless.  You can just look at him and tell A. he's got a little dick, and B.  he has absolutely no sense of humor about it whatsoever.  He looks exactly what the person in the story should look like. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #764 on: May 07, 2010, 04:51:57 PM »

The Smoking Gun adds,

I was gonna set that guy's mugshot up as my wallpaper at the shop.  While the story itself is funny as hell, the picture is absolutely priceless.  You can just look at him and tell A. he's got a little dick, and B.  he has absolutely no sense of humor about it whatsoever.  He looks exactly what the person in the story should look like.  

*edit*

Nevermind...
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 05:03:11 PM by Scheavo »

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #765 on: May 09, 2010, 03:25:53 PM »
I was gonna set that guy's mugshot up as my wallpaper at the shop.  While the story itself is funny as hell, the picture is absolutely priceless.  You can just look at him and tell A. he's got a little dick, and B.  he has absolutely no sense of humor about it whatsoever.  He looks exactly what the person in the story should look like. 

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #766 on: May 10, 2010, 05:38:43 AM »
Just as I thought I finally understood what Agnostic means that guy says "Athiests who hate our heavenly father and Agnostics who're aren't sure if they hate our heavenly father"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P47OC439x88
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #767 on: May 12, 2010, 06:27:33 PM »
Millahh - your inbox is full

:(

On the up side, I had a good excuse for  not noticing...been in Belize for a couple of weeks!
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #768 on: May 13, 2010, 02:23:42 PM »
Hey, zerogravityfat, what's the deal between Greece and Turkey?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 08:37:53 PM by emindead »

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #769 on: May 14, 2010, 06:26:22 AM »