Author Topic: The P/R-side Chat Thread v.2  (Read 333426 times)

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
Re: The P/R-side Chat Thread v.2
« Reply #525 on: October 23, 2009, 03:33:47 PM »
Our entire Mass Media is one lumping pile of steaming shit.

Yep. Fox is super right, MSNBC is totally pro-Obama, and CNN is just retarded.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #526 on: October 24, 2009, 03:01:51 AM »

Fox isn't even news anymore. Obama's not going to win the fight, but he's right.

And as pro-Obama MSNBC is, they're far from being what Fox "News" was with Bush. Not that this serves as an excuse.

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #527 on: October 31, 2009, 04:30:58 PM »
Arnie's view of world government?

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #528 on: November 01, 2009, 07:39:05 PM »

This, although I enjoy Glenn Beck, as crazy and insane as he is.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #529 on: November 03, 2009, 08:03:17 AM »
Testing
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #530 on: November 03, 2009, 05:35:39 PM »
One

Two

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #531 on: November 10, 2009, 08:18:47 AM »
I'd just like to see Rumbo and Adami, that Andy spoof thread was epic, short-lived as it was.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #532 on: November 10, 2009, 02:45:17 PM »
For anybody keeping  up with the Willingham case down here in Tejas.
New head of Texas Forensic Science Commission says he'll protect panel's integrity
Quite a few things really jumped out at me.  Not the least of which is that they have no intention whatsoever of getting this thing moving before the March primaries.  Hearing some of these guys defend the conviction on the grounds that he was a monster is rather unsettling. 

I also found quite fascinating the difference between how two people view the backlog of 1000 rape kits.  One is concerned about the 1000 people that might be in prison right now, and the other is concerned about the 1000 people that aren't imprisoned right now. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #533 on: November 10, 2009, 02:47:57 PM »
I'd just like to see Rumbo and Adami, that Andy spoof thread was epic, short-lived as it was.

Despite the insulting title, it wasn't meant to be a spoof. I just needed something to grab his attention. I was honestly hoping to contain his views into one thread. It seems he's the only troll who can't get in trouble, so I figured he's better off contained somehow.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #534 on: November 10, 2009, 02:49:09 PM »
What's KBH's take on all of this?  Is it becoming a primary issue?
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #535 on: November 10, 2009, 02:49:42 PM »

Despite the insulting title, it wasn't meant to be a spoof. I just needed something to grab his attention. I was honestly hoping to contain his views into one thread. It seems he's the only troll who can't get in trouble, so I figured he's better off contained somehow.

I've since directed him to keep it to a single trhread.

Online Adami

« Reply #536 on: November 10, 2009, 02:50:37 PM »

I really do appreciate that. I would love to see many of the things here discussed, however when it just turns into an anti eu thread,  and then everyone yelling at andy, it ruins it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #537 on: November 10, 2009, 02:53:47 PM »

I really do appreciate that. I would love to see many of the things here discussed, however when it just turns into an anti eu thread,  and then everyone yelling at andy, it ruins it.

Unfortunately, that happens with the topic du jour around here frequently, usually having nothing to do with any one poster.  Global warming, Libertarianism, free market, biblical literalism, the EU.  I attempt to keep things somewhat on the rails, but it can be like a bit challenging...

Online Adami

« Reply #538 on: November 10, 2009, 02:56:21 PM »
And as I said, I do appreciate it. I realize I have done my share of de-railing and wrecking threads, but I promise to knock it off as of right now. I hope others can do the same thing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #539 on: November 10, 2009, 02:58:19 PM »
Her position is tactically quite sound.  She's a staunch supporter of the death penalty, as is required to be elected governor, so she's focusing her attack on Perry's politicalization of the process which she claims is providing ammunition to the bleeding hearts.  She's avoiding the question of whether or not CTW was guilty, but using the issue to paint Perry as soft on capital punishment.

“As hard as Rick Perry’s office and his campaign may try to divert from the issue, this is not about one man or one case. The issue is Rick Perry’s heavy-handed politicization of a process and Commission established by the legislature to provide critical oversight. First, Rick Perry delayed the formation of the Texas Forensic Science Commission, then he tried to ensure it didn’t have funding and when all else failed, he fired everyone he could. The only thing Rick Perry’s actions have accomplished is giving liberals an argument to discredit the death penalty. Kay Bailey Hutchison is a steadfast supporter of the death penalty, voted to reinstate it when she served in the Texas House and believes we should never do anything to create a cloud of controversy over it with actions that look like a cover-up.”

Pretty damn clever, in a monstrous sort of way.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #541 on: November 22, 2009, 01:53:39 PM »

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #542 on: November 24, 2009, 03:24:54 PM »
So as not to further derail the fascinating war on sexuality that Silent Fox and Andy are waging, I'll continue this topic here:

Mating season is for animals which don't construct shelters, and thus need to have their youngs grow to appropriate maturity before the next winter comes. Given we started building shelters at some point, we could have offspring year-round, and obviously the mammal/human that produces more "throughput" quickly replaces the genetic makeup of the whole population.

rumborak

There was a long period of time where man had shelter, but hadn't figured out cultivation or domestication.  Being hunter/gatherers, you'd think we would have some kind of innate schedule hardwired into us to breed when there was an abundance of chow.

Wouldn't be useful though, unless our bodies could predict 9 months in advance when we would have lots of food.
Our brains certainly can predict it, and mating seasons are hormonal. 

I could understand that in the case of an agricultural society, but for a hunter/gatherer society?
I found this on the subject:
Archaeologists have determined that by 2,500 years BP (before present), a subsistence-settlement strategy called the winter village pattern was widely established among hunter-gatherers on the Columbia River Plateau in northwest North America. In this strategy, hunter-gatherers dispersed into smaller groups during spring through fall as they collected food resources in bulk quantities for winter consumption. During winter, they aggregated in larger groups at permanent villages situated in low-elevation riverine environments, where they subsisted on stored food supplies augmented by hunting and fishing.
While food might not have been as big a problem as I had though, they were still very sensible about the weather and the seasons.  As such, you'd think they might have developed a sense for when the best time to get knocked up would be.  While food is still a factor, there are other factors as well, not the least of which is "it's fucking cold!"
E.F. Benson

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #543 on: November 28, 2009, 11:16:09 PM »
Hey. First post here. I am just really bored and looking to do stupid shit that I have not done in the first couple of months here on DTF, so...yeah...here I am. Posting in the P&R chat thread! :metal :metal :metal

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #544 on: November 29, 2009, 01:23:22 PM »
I'm baaaaccckkkkk....

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #545 on: December 04, 2009, 10:24:11 AM »
I'm baaaaccckkkkk....
Where've you been?

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #546 on: December 04, 2009, 10:41:08 AM »
I'm baaaaccckkkkk....
Where've you been?

Over in your neck of the woods (relatively speaking)...London & Paris.

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #547 on: December 04, 2009, 01:06:52 PM »
What are your thoughts on London?

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #548 on: December 04, 2009, 04:41:22 PM »
There's a hole in the world like a great black pit
and the vermin of the world inhabit it
and its morals aren't worth what a pig could spit
and it goes by the name of London.

At the top of the hole sit the privileged few
Making mock of the vermin in the lower zoo
turning beauty to filth and greed...

I too have sailed the world and seen its wonders,
for the cruelty of men is as wonderous as Peru
but there's no place like London!

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #549 on: December 04, 2009, 05:03:58 PM »
There's a hole in the world like a great black pit
and the vermin of the world inhabit it
and its morals aren't worth what a pig could spit
and it goes by the name of London.

At the top of the hole sit the privileged few
Making mock of the vermin in the lower zoo
turning beauty to filth and greed...

I too have sailed the world and seen its wonders,
for the cruelty of men is as wonderous as Peru
but there's no place like London!

Great fuckin movie...I have not seen the play.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #550 on: December 04, 2009, 09:03:11 PM »

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #551 on: December 08, 2009, 07:10:43 PM »
Huh? No one knows what to do about global warming? That's just simply not true. The solution to global warming is quite simple: stop polluting the environment with greenhouse gases. If we're causing warming, the affects will peter out.

This is my main issue with those who want to make drastic policy issues that will affect everyone.  Let me use a car analogy to explain what I mean:

If I am driving my car with a lead foot, I will be wearing out the engine faster.  There is a solid cause and effect relationship here, and something can be done about it.  Hence why I agree with TV that we should focus on things we are certain about.

On the other hand, if I'm at the shop for a routine repair, and am told that I need to spend thousands of dollars to fix a problem they "think" is caused by my driving habits, and if so, the repair "might" fix it, I would laugh and say "no thanks, I need a little more convincing". 

Your analogy makes no sense on many levels.

For one, if the problem is caused by yoru driving habits, why is there any fix to be paid for? You're making the alternative irrational to support your conclusion. Global warming would be much more analogous to the first example, where the solution is quick and simple: change habits.

Secondly, if you took your car to every single mechanic in your area, and had 97% of them suggest the fix, would you still doubt that it's a problem?

Thirdly, green technology is a money saver. So for the example to work, it would have to be more like, "I am told that if I spend a thousand dollars now, I'll save three thousand over the course of several years - and I may or may not solve the problem. Meanwhile, while the fix may not fix this exact problem, it will fix other problems that are wrong with your car." I can't imagine why you would turn down this offer, even if you somehow knew their fix to be a "fix." To put this in terms of global warming, and reducing CO2 emissions, greener technology will save us money, and pollute less. Car emissions are still bad, global warming or not.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #552 on: December 09, 2009, 09:41:09 AM »
Huh? No one knows what to do about global warming? That's just simply not true. The solution to global warming is quite simple: stop polluting the environment with greenhouse gases. If we're causing warming, the affects will peter out.

This is my main issue with those who want to make drastic policy issues that will affect everyone.  Let me use a car analogy to explain what I mean:

If I am driving my car with a lead foot, I will be wearing out the engine faster.  There is a solid cause and effect relationship here, and something can be done about it.  Hence why I agree with TV that we should focus on things we are certain about.

On the other hand, if I'm at the shop for a routine repair, and am told that I need to spend thousands of dollars to fix a problem they "think" is caused by my driving habits, and if so, the repair "might" fix it, I would laugh and say "no thanks, I need a little more convincing". 

For one, if the problem is caused by yoru driving habits, why is there any fix to be paid for? You're making the alternative irrational to support your conclusion. Global warming would be much more analogous to the first example, where the solution is quick and simple: change habits.

Secondly, if you took your car to every single mechanic in your area, and had 97% of them suggest the fix, would you still doubt that it's a problem?

Thirdly, green technology is a money saver. So for the example to work, it would have to be more like, "I am told that if I spend a thousand dollars now, I'll save three thousand over the course of several years - and I may or may not solve the problem. Meanwhile, while the fix may not fix this exact problem, it will fix other problems that are wrong with your car." I can't imagine why you would turn down this offer, even if you somehow knew their fix to be a "fix." To put this in terms of global warming, and reducing CO2 emissions, greener technology will save us money, and pollute less. Car emissions are still bad, global warming or not.

I admit, my analogy isn't an exact carryover.  Before I clarify my position, let me be clear on where I stand with green technology.  I do not have anything against green technology and improving our environment.  I can't wait to see what new technology will be available for energy sources, whether it be improved alternative sources we know now, or completely new technologies we haven't seen yet. 

Whether or not climate change can be controlled by humans, we will eventually move to alternative forms of energy.  Fossil fuels won't last forever.  The ingenuity of the human mind wants to improve the efficiency and decrease the cost of providing energy. 

Back to my original argument, I don't believe there is conclusive evidence that we are the primary cause of climate change (which you implied in your post).  The only concrete evidence we have is the temperature record, which we all agree has risen, but is now remained steady for the past decade or so.  The only evidence proclaiming doom and gloom is provided by computer models.  I don't mean that to discount the usefulness of computer modeling, especially since I'm not fully knowledgeable on them, but I cannot put more trust in a computer model predicting the global climate 10 to 90 years in the future, than I would a computer model predicting the local 5 day forecast. 

Like I said before, I think green technology is great, and we are moving in that direction, but it's not happening as fast as you would like.  I personally, don't see the need to rush.

So, with your argument, when an obese person goes to the doctor and gets told to change his lifestyle since he otherwise will have a premature death 10 years down the road, the correct answer is "no thanks, that is too vague and too far into the future, I need a little more convincing."?

rumborak

Like I said above, my analogy wasn't the greatest, but it will still fit here I suppose.  The difference is that the doctor has seen concrete evidence from the complete life of thousands of obese patients, and that evidence always concludes that an obese patient will die prematurely.  The doctor may not be able to predict exactly how long of course, but there is solid evidence (not modeling) that this will occur.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #553 on: December 09, 2009, 09:52:13 AM »
Back to my original argument, I don't believe there is conclusive evidence that we are the primary cause of climate change (which you implied in your post).  The only concrete evidence we have is the temperature record, which we all agree has risen, but is now remained steady for the past decade or so.  The only evidence proclaiming doom and gloom is provided by computer models.  I don't mean that to discount the usefulness of computer modeling, especially since I'm not fully knowledgeable on them, but I cannot put more trust in a computer model predicting the global climate 10 to 90 years in the future, than I would a computer model predicting the local 5 day forecast.  

Ugh. So, you just discredited the whole scientific foundation of mathematical modeling. No offense, but just because you don't know how it works doesn't mean it's not correct.

Frankly, the more I read the anti-GW arguments here (by WW, Andy, and you), the more I have the impression it's heavily based on the "black magic" impression some of you have of predictive modeling. That is, you don't know how it works, and thus it must be implicitly distrusted.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #554 on: December 09, 2009, 10:00:07 AM »

I admit, my analogy isn't an exact carryover.  Before I clarify my position, let me be clear on where I stand with green technology.  I do not have anything against green technology and improving our environment.  I can't wait to see what new technology will be available for energy sources, whether it be improved alternative sources we know now, or completely new technologies we haven't seen yet. 

Whether or not climate change can be controlled by humans, we will eventually move to alternative forms of energy.  Fossil fuels won't last forever.  The ingenuity of the human mind wants to improve the efficiency and decrease the cost of providing energy. 

Back to my original argument, I don't believe there is conclusive evidence that we are the primary cause of climate change (which you implied in your post).  The only concrete evidence we have is the temperature record, which we all agree has risen, but is now remained steady for the past decade or so.  The only evidence proclaiming doom and gloom is provided by computer models.  I don't mean that to discount the usefulness of computer modeling, especially since I'm not fully knowledgeable on them, but I cannot put more trust in a computer model predicting the global climate 10 to 90 years in the future, than I would a computer model predicting the local 5 day forecast. 

I think warming depends upon how you want to look at it.

https://www.wmo.int/pages/mediacentre/press_releases/pr_869_en.html

Geneva, 8 December 2009 (WMO) – The year 2009 is likely to rank in the top 10 warmest on record since the beginning of instrumental climate records in 1850, according to data sources compiled by the World Meteorological Organization (WMO). The global combined sea surface and land surface air temperature for 2009 (January–October) is currently estimated at 0.44°C ± 0.11°C (0.79°F ± 0.20°F) above the 1961–1990 annual average of 14.00°C/57.2°F. The current nominal ranking of 2009, which does not account for uncertainties in the annual averages, places it as the fifth-warmest year. The decade of the 2000s (2000–2009) was warmer than the decade spanning the 1990s (1990–1999), which in turn was warmer than the 1980s (1980–1989). More complete data for the remainder of the year 2009 will be analysed at the beginning of 2010 to update the current assessment.

It seems that when people say there has been a recent lack of warming, they mean that the highs have not gotten higher. But the average temperatures have still risen globally.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #555 on: December 11, 2009, 01:06:35 PM »
Just watched The Simpsons episode where Sideshow Bob becomes mayor. Some damn funny jabs at that radio host "Rush Limbaugh" in there:

"those Dumbocrats and their bleeding-heart smellfare program"

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #556 on: December 11, 2009, 01:17:33 PM »
Just watched The Simpsons episode where Sideshow Bob becomes mayor. Some damn funny jabs at that radio host "Rush Limbaugh" in there:

"those Dumbocrats and their bleeding-heart smellfare program"
The commercial is absolutely perfect.

"Mayor Quimby once even released Sideshow Bob from prison.  A man twice convicted of attempted murder.  Vote Sideshow Bob."

Didn't that episode also have also have Bob Dole reading from the Necromicon at the Republican convention?  Great stuff.
E.F. Benson

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #557 on: December 11, 2009, 02:01:40 PM »
The advert was awesome :lol

Hmmm, I don't think the Bob Dole bit was in it. I could be wrong though...bad memory.

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #558 on: December 11, 2009, 02:08:07 PM »
Back to my original argument, I don't believe there is conclusive evidence that we are the primary cause of climate change (which you implied in your post).  The only concrete evidence we have is the temperature record, which we all agree has risen, but is now remained steady for the past decade or so.  The only evidence proclaiming doom and gloom is provided by computer models.  I don't mean that to discount the usefulness of computer modeling, especially since I'm not fully knowledgeable on them, but I cannot put more trust in a computer model predicting the global climate 10 to 90 years in the future, than I would a computer model predicting the local 5 day forecast.  

Ugh. So, you just discredited the whole scientific foundation of mathematical modeling. No offense, but just because you don't know how it works doesn't mean it's not correct.
Correct? What does that mean? Of course a computer program may well be "correct" but that has very little to do with whether the current state of human (let alone the programmer's) knowledge reflects reality.
Frankly, the more I read the anti-GW arguments here (by WW, Andy, and you), the more I have the impression it's heavily based on the "black magic" impression some of you have of predictive modeling. That is, you don't know how it works, and thus it must be implicitly distrusted.

rumborak

First, the phrase "anti GW arguments" amazes me. How anybody would think that such arguments would be a welcome thing per se which worries me about your motives. The above poster referred to the notorious inaccuracy of weather forecasts, extrapolate that to a model which is being used as a premise for colossal statism internationally and it is perfectly rational that anybody would be alarmed and concerned in my view.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #559 on: December 11, 2009, 02:13:28 PM »
You do know experts are consulted when making these modeling programs? It's not like the programmers just sit down and make a program with no research done.