Author Topic: The P/R-side Chat Thread v.2  (Read 333603 times)

Offline Disappear

• It's hard to beat a person who never gives up.
Re: The P/R-side Chat Thread v.2
« Reply #490 on: October 02, 2009, 03:46:35 PM »
Awesome avatar.
"Not by wrath does one kill but by laughter."

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #491 on: October 02, 2009, 03:49:55 PM »
Makes me want to play some Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on SNES...

Offline Disappear

« Reply #492 on: October 02, 2009, 03:57:05 PM »
Uhh...yeah.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #493 on: October 02, 2009, 04:47:01 PM »
Thank you for changing your signature NR.

Offline Nigerius Rex

• Thats Mr. Doctor Professor Patrick
« Reply #494 on: October 03, 2009, 12:08:34 AM »
Thank you for changing your signature NR.

You guys have no sense of humor.

Or bad internet connection.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #495 on: October 03, 2009, 03:34:51 AM »
It didn't load correctly at work and it used to drive me insane.

Offline Nigerius Rex

« Reply #496 on: October 03, 2009, 03:37:46 AM »
lol

Offline Disappear

Offline Nigerius Rex

« Reply #498 on: October 04, 2009, 11:01:24 PM »
You are like Micheal mooooooooo-re.

Offline Disappear

« Reply #499 on: October 04, 2009, 11:36:40 PM »
He is a saint to me. One of the really fat ones. The soda tax is gonna hit him pretty hard I'm afraid.  :'(

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #500 on: October 05, 2009, 12:42:03 AM »
You are like Micheal mooooooooo-re.

So you don't think it's a bad sign that people come out in big numbers for these free health care events?

Offline Nigerius Rex

« Reply #501 on: October 05, 2009, 01:45:09 AM »
So you don't think it's a bad sign that people come out in big numbers for these free health care events?

Name to me a product that a lot of people want that is normally expensive which wont draw a huge crowd if you announce you are giving it away for free.

Couldn't do it? I wonder why.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #502 on: October 05, 2009, 02:13:03 AM »

Name to me a product that a lot of people want that is normally expensive which wont draw a huge crowd if you announce you are giving it away for free.

Couldn't do it? I wonder why.

Except, I think the problem is in the question. Of course expensive products are goin to draw big crowds, but that's becomes in order for something to qualify has a product it has to have certain features. It also seems, to me, to be part of the problem with our health care system.  

By the way, the problem isn't just that so many people show up, it's that many of them show up in terrible condition. It's not as if people aer showing up to wait all day because they have a cold. And to partialy answer your question, and show why it's biased, in other countries with universal health care, you wouldn't "draw a big crowd" if you offered free health care. The people who did show up probably woudln't be in the condition they are here, either. They have "free" health care if they need it when they first need it. Countries which have events like this are generally called "the third world."

But this isn't a problem?

(by the way, also very noticeably an appeal to ignorance fallacy)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 02:20:48 AM by Scheavo »

Offline Nigerius Rex

« Reply #503 on: October 05, 2009, 03:42:54 AM »
I think you grossly underestimate the appeal of "free" shit.

the problem isn't just that so many people show up, it's that many of them show up in terrible condition.

This seems relative. If your talking about health care its going to be a lot of people who dont have any and are therefore less healthy. If your talking about food it will be likely those underfed. etc.

There will also be a large number of people who do not necessarily need or want what you have to give away, but are trying to take advantage of anything they can to get any benefit they can

and show why it's biased, in other countries with universal health care, you wouldn't "draw a big crowd" if you offered free health care.

Again I think you grossly underestimate the appeal.

Offline Disappear

« Reply #504 on: October 05, 2009, 10:40:26 AM »
Healthcare in USA needs to stop being seen as a product and start being seen as a right, like in all other civilized countries. For-profit insurance companies must be banned.

I think too much of the debate focuses on the monetary aspect and seldom do we remind ourselves that it is the morally right thing to do. If we reintroduced reform as a moral imperative I have a feeling it would give even the most unworldly, unrealistic, comfortable, middle class single white male lolertarians pause.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #505 on: October 05, 2009, 11:57:45 AM »
I think you grossly underestimate the appeal of "free" shit.

the problem isn't just that so many people show up, it's that many of them show up in terrible condition.

This seems relative. If your talking about health care its going to be a lot of people who dont have any and are therefore less healthy. If your talking about food it will be likely those underfed. etc.

There will also be a large number of people who do not necessarily need or want what you have to give away, but are trying to take advantage of anything they can to get any benefit they can

You don't see what's wrong with the fact that there's this many poor people? You don't think that speaks ill of our society? You seem willing to simply state the facts, and ignore what the consequences of those facts are. There's many cases of events like this in America.

And those people aren't going to wait in line all day for medical attention. Would you get up by 4am for something you don't need or want? How about taking off work, on your birthday, to take your elderly parents to the event we're talking about?

and show why it's biased, in other countries with universal health care, you wouldn't "draw a big crowd" if you offered free health care.

Again I think you grossly underestimate the appeal.

I think you're overestimating the appeal and grossly underestimating what this says about our Country and our health care system.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 12:12:44 PM by Scheavo »

Offline Nigerius Rex

« Reply #506 on: October 05, 2009, 12:26:32 PM »
You don't see what's wrong with the fact that there's this many poor people? You don't think that speaks ill of our society? You seem willing to simply state the facts, and ignore what the consequences of those facts are. There's many cases of events like this in America.

Nope. Poor people will always exist as long as people exist. No different form of government or less government will fix that. Even if you gave all the poor people in the USA 20,000 bucks many of them would still walk around begging for change.

And those people aren't going to wait in line all day for medical attention. Would you get up by 4am for something you don't need or want? How about taking off work, on your birthday, to take your elderly parents to the event we're talking about?

Where are you pulling this scenario from? It is indisputable that people who don't need what is being offered will take as much as they can of whatever they may not need just in case. Are we suppose to assume every single person attending that event had a serious condition that needed tending?

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #507 on: October 05, 2009, 12:40:32 PM »
https://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20091005/lf_afp/undevelopmentpoverty;_ylt=AgvGbk6Eqm5.6_mSk8cBn1is0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTM3ZWQ1dThuBGFzc2V0A2FmcC8yMDA5MTAwNS91bmRldmVsb3BtZW50cG92ZXJ0eQRjcG9zAzgEcG9zAzUEcHQDaG9tZV9jb2tlBHNlYwN5bl9oZWFkbGluZV9saXN0BHNsawNub3J3YXlpc2J

That's a response to the idea that, "there will always bee poor people, therefore we can't do anything." That's an absurd notion. There will always be rape, does that mean we shouldn't do anything about it? There's also the fact that realizing there will always be poor people is a far cry from saying if they can't afford health care, then they should die. 45,000 people die each year becuase of a lack of health insurance.

Oh, and I got that scenario from story disappear linked to. And yes, you're suppose to infer that most people there had serious reasons for being there. Just start looking at similiar events across the country, listen to people were there, etc. Most of the idea behind this is to get people who really need the attention. Why else would people stay in line all night?  (Are you really comparing health care to a harry potter movie?) Unless there was a flood of hypochondriacs, most people aren't going to stand in line all night to get medical care they don't need.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 01:40:23 PM by Scheavo »

Offline Disappear

« Reply #508 on: October 05, 2009, 01:22:06 PM »
The Lolertarian solution is: do nothing. It's a notion pushed by comfortable single middle class males.

Offline Nigerius Rex

« Reply #509 on: October 05, 2009, 05:18:55 PM »
The Lolertarian solution is: do nothing. It's a notion pushed by comfortable single middle class males.

No that clearly shows how consistently you misconstrue the facts. Libertarians just don't want the government doing it by legislative force with our tax dollars. In fact, privately funded and managed homeless shelters and events are usually more successful by comparison anyway.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #510 on: October 07, 2009, 02:42:32 PM »
I don't see any reason to start a thread since I figure we'd all agree that it was pretty fucked up.  It's a good read though so I'm throwing it out here for people to check out.  Cameron Todd Willingham

Likely innocent fellow executed on the basis of highly faulty forensic evidence.  It's been in the news down here because Governor Perry recently dismissed most of an investigative panel just days before they began their public inquiry which would have been seriously scathing.  Perry has steadfastly maintained that the guy was guilty and doesn't want to be called out before what will be a hotly contested primary for his re-election.  The new panel probably won't reconvene until after the election. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #511 on: October 07, 2009, 05:35:16 PM »
Comparing the Democratic Party to the Nazis is ridiculous. After all the Nazis got the Olympics.

Badum Tush!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #512 on: October 08, 2009, 07:31:26 AM »
Comparing the Democratic Party to the Nazis is ridiculous. After all the Nazis got the Olympics.

Badum Tush!

Well done sir, well done.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #513 on: October 10, 2009, 05:56:32 PM »

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #514 on: October 10, 2009, 05:59:23 PM »
Don't know much about the situation but it seems to be a step in the right direction for the two countries.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #515 on: October 10, 2009, 06:02:10 PM »
From a purely economical standpoint, it's probably for the better. But I'm still really undecided about it as a whole.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #516 on: October 18, 2009, 01:19:55 PM »

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #517 on: October 18, 2009, 02:05:46 PM »
 :lol
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #518 on: October 18, 2009, 03:46:12 PM »
Woah, liberals don't have to pay taxes? I've never known that.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #519 on: October 18, 2009, 06:03:46 PM »

Damn I shoulda registered as a Democrat then.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #520 on: October 18, 2009, 06:33:06 PM »

Damn I shoulda registered as a Democrat then.

Same. I'd feel dirty registering as a Democrat, but free taxes are so worth it.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #521 on: October 21, 2009, 05:13:15 PM »
Something that annoys me, though probably doesn't deserve it's own thread.  According to the 2007 UCR, 475 kids were murdered by their parents.  It's newsworthy in the town it happens in, less so at the state level, and irrelevant to the national news.  That is unless it's an honor killing by a culture we don't like.  Any time Akhmed kills (or in this case tries to kill) his daughter because she dresses like a slut, it's front page news everywhere.  Fox, I completely understand; they have a job to do.  But CNN?  I expect better from my liberal media.  They should just stick to reporting only gang related murders and those of pretty white girls (but only if they got a good rogering first).
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #522 on: October 21, 2009, 07:28:36 PM »
Our entire Mass Media is one lumping pile of steaming shit.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #523 on: October 23, 2009, 04:42:03 AM »
I think the roll call thread was a great idea, why was it closed?!?
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #524 on: October 23, 2009, 07:55:09 AM »
I think the roll call thread was a great idea, why was it closed?!?

For maintenance.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol