Author Topic: The P/R-side Chat Thread v.2  (Read 337924 times)

Offline Nigerius Rex

• Thats Mr. Doctor Professor Patrick
Re: The P/R-side Chat Thread v.2
« Reply #385 on: August 26, 2009, 01:17:33 AM »
That's why I'm the one who answers with a yes or no; and why I create straw men, bring up red herrings, and employ other fallacies; and that's also why I ignore arguments completely.

Its best not to dwell on your fallacious past, look forward, it will bring good things.

Offline Disappear

• It's hard to beat a person who never gives up.
« Reply #386 on: August 26, 2009, 06:51:10 AM »
الرئيس أوباما يوجه رسالته بمناسبة حلول شهر رمضان

If the Dems have any balls and audacity (unlikely), they will use the sentimentality of TK's passing to ram through a public option.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 07:15:55 AM by Disappear »
"Not by wrath does one kill but by laughter."

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #387 on: August 26, 2009, 01:23:50 PM »
You are aware I can read Arabic right?  :lol
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Nigerius Rex

« Reply #388 on: August 26, 2009, 01:26:32 PM »
President Obama brought his message on the occasion of the holy month of Ramadan

Google can too. 

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #389 on: August 26, 2009, 01:37:56 PM »
No one here brought any messeges to me for the occasion  ???
But I understand, if there's only one buddist on the forums no one would probably mention his holiday  :lol
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #390 on: August 27, 2009, 07:11:22 PM »
It doesn't, and that's the point I was making. You are what you accuse me of being (trying to call the kettle black).

Stay with me here. But even if I am guilty of something why does it make my statement any less true of you?

It doesn't. Did I say it did? That's why I'm saying how it's untrue by pointing to different things, and pointed to an example of where I followed reason.

It doesn't take a scientists to perform science, either

My point even in the other thread was this. Why can you with your non scientific philosophy degree claim to understand a scientific topic and at the same time discredit those who have scientific degrees but not in directly related fields? If anything a scientist in an indirectly related field would have at least some required background learning on the subject while you would not.

I never discredit valid science. Ever. I discredit pseudo-Science and name it for what it is becuase of what science is. Just because something quacks like a duck, doesn't mean that it's a duck. And what is my claim to knowing what science is? Other than the definition of science, which anyone can look up, there's the fact that science itself is a creation of philosophy. The justification for Science being what it is, is a philosophical justification. As I tried to point out before, science is the scientific method. The scientific method is an epistemological theory, which means it is a philosophical treatise. Any success science has had, it has gained through this epistemological theory - a philosophical theory. Don't you think that might give philosophers first hand knowledge on what makes science science?

If I call myself a Christian, and I don't believe in God, am I a Christian?

And what you're still missing is that I'm taking the background learning to the background learning. In other words, I'm studying the logos, which makes up biology. Science without logic isn't science, and it doesn't take a scientist to point out when that logic is missing. It's also why a philosophy degree can be used as a pre-law degree.

Because I know what science is, I know when something is not science.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 07:25:35 PM by Scheavo »

Offline Nigerius Rex

« Reply #391 on: August 27, 2009, 07:42:51 PM »
At least your not a lawyer, here you can spin your bs and not change anything.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #392 on: August 27, 2009, 07:49:03 PM »
Great rebuttal.

But thanks for like, ya know, proving my point.

Offline Nigerius Rex

« Reply #393 on: August 27, 2009, 08:29:33 PM »
You and I are people who are convinced we are right about certain things. So why bother.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #394 on: August 27, 2009, 09:03:50 PM »
You and I are people who are convinced we are right about certain things. So why bother.

True... but isn't impossible to not be convinced about something? Even a skeptic is convinced he's right.

But my "convictions" are determined by the evidence. Change and show where the evidence is wrong, and my "convictions" change.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #395 on: August 30, 2009, 01:35:42 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOHjMwPTCXQ

We could use Griffins but we don't and I think that's what separates us from them.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #396 on: August 30, 2009, 01:38:48 PM »
Saw that today. Pretty damn funny :lol

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #397 on: August 30, 2009, 01:55:26 PM »

We could use Griffins but we don't and I think that's what separates us from them.

The fact that no one has been charged with war crimes (especially Cheney and Bush) is perhaps the clearest indication to me that America is fucked.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #398 on: August 30, 2009, 02:10:24 PM »

The fact that no one has been charged with war crimes (especially Cheney and Bush) is perhaps the clearest indication to me that America is fucked.
I came to that conclusion when >50 of these cretins said it was OK for the government to spy on it's citizens.  That's when this place stopped being America. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #399 on: August 30, 2009, 02:39:51 PM »

I came to that conclusion when >50 of these cretins said it was OK for the government to spy on it's citizens.  That's when this place stopped being America.  

Good point. That still doesn't shock me as much as torture, though.

And wow... 1980 really seems to be a bad year for American history. Reagan became President and paved the way for 28(+) years of failed policy; and CNN launched, paving the way for an even dumber and more corporate controlled masses (and of course, Fox "News")

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #400 on: August 30, 2009, 02:43:18 PM »
lolcnn. We get it here in the UK as well.

Instead of showing news about the world, it just shows news about America.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #401 on: August 30, 2009, 03:34:23 PM »
Well I mean the idea behind CNN, not even necessarily the crap fest which is CNN. 24 hours news is a self-destroying idea, if you ask me. It makes news too much about ratings and profit, and not about objective quality journalism. People would rather persist in their delusions, than be told the truth - so the news which aides the delusions get good ratings.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 03:41:16 PM by Scheavo »

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #402 on: August 30, 2009, 04:26:23 PM »
I know. I just wanted to complain about CNN.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #403 on: August 30, 2009, 09:54:12 PM »

I came to that conclusion when >50 of these cretins said it was OK for the government to spy on it's citizens.  That's when this place stopped being America. 

Good point. That still doesn't shock me as much as torture, though.

To me, the tolerance for torture is quite predictable.  You get to abuse people you think are bad, and justify it by claiming self defense.  The simple minded often default to violence and they'll never understand moral integrity. 

The spying was totally unexpected.  Not trusting the government is one of the most basic tenets this country was founded on, and as soon as people got spooked, they rolled over hard.

A country full of vicious simpletons I expect.  A country of pussies is surprising to me.
E.F. Benson

Offline Nigerius Rex

« Reply #404 on: September 04, 2009, 02:00:18 PM »
https://poststuff5.entensity.net/090209/flash.php?media=chicks.flv

Again animal cruelty sucks but the solution is not that we all become vegans

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #405 on: September 04, 2009, 02:35:08 PM »
https://poststuff5.entensity.net/090209/flash.php?media=chicks.flv

Again animal cruelty sucks but the solution is not that we all become vegans

In the end though it pretty much is. With the level of demand for meat being what it is, that kind of mechanized system is the only one that can really meet the demand.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Nigerius Rex

« Reply #406 on: September 04, 2009, 04:38:18 PM »
While I agree a mechanized system is necessary, it doesn't need to be moving at a speed or be as aggressive that it hurts some of the chicks unnecessarily and outright throws some of them off the conveyor belt to die on the floor.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #407 on: September 04, 2009, 11:35:46 PM »
So you're saying that people who want the animals treated more humanely shouldn't boycott said industry?

Offline Nigerius Rex

« Reply #408 on: September 05, 2009, 01:32:12 AM »
Obviously the machine in its current form violates US animal treatment laws. I dont think any boycott is necessary. In the case that they dont change the machine or are not forced, then I suppose a boycott would be the only way.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #409 on: September 05, 2009, 01:41:56 AM »
So why is the government's intervention in this case totally acceptable? No one's rights are being infringed, unless you give animals the same rights and values as humans.

Offline Nigerius Rex

« Reply #410 on: September 05, 2009, 03:23:27 AM »
I don't give them the same rights, I give them the right not to have their limbs crudely bruised and completely destroyed as well as the right not to be thrown from fast moving conveyor belts onto concrete floors to await the slow embrace of death. Are we on the same page here man? I know your trying to turn this into "SEE YOU LIKE THE GOVERNMENT AND YOUR BLIND" thing but this is completely different because something like this would be handled by state police on a local level.

https://www.straypetadvocacy.org/html/cruelty_laws.html

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #411 on: September 05, 2009, 08:59:16 AM »
Go back to licking Uncle Sam's boot.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #412 on: September 05, 2009, 02:21:03 PM »
Fuck. I was just watching the God channels (it's fun to do when you're bored) and this guy comes along and says "an unscientific theory such as evolution". It was the same guy who says that bananas are proof of God though.

It's worrying that this nonsense is allowed on TV.

Edit: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. "Even insurance companies have got it right. They call a tornado, earthquake etc. an "act of God"". Good proof.

Edit2: Now he's going around the street using the scare tactic of "If you died right now, you would probably go to hell" etc. Nice way of converting people :yeahright
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 02:29:19 PM by acidrainlte »

Offline j

« Reply #413 on: September 05, 2009, 02:56:03 PM »
Edit2: Now he's going around the street using the scare tactic of "If you died right now, you would probably go to hell" etc. Nice way of converting people :yeahright

:lol

What are you talking about dude?  The threat of eternal damnation, along with acts of violence, have been historically proven conversion tools.  They've been making sincere believers for centuries! ;)

-J

Offline Nigerius Rex

« Reply #414 on: September 06, 2009, 12:57:04 AM »

So why does not liking government intervention when it comes to private property and business require me to hate the government?

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #415 on: September 06, 2009, 01:12:50 AM »

So why does not liking government intervention when it comes to private property and business require me to hate the government?
I was joking.

Offline Nigerius Rex

« Reply #416 on: September 06, 2009, 03:02:24 AM »
I can never tell when your joking.

Offline Jobe

• Market Connoisseur
« Reply #417 on: September 08, 2009, 10:52:15 PM »
6 times as many people die each year in your country because it doesn't have a public healthcare system.

Even if you're not serious, I have little doubt many people believe in statements like this, and it is for these reasons that I'm trying to segue away from politics.

I'm not really sure me spending vast amounts of time arguing to walls is worth the opportunity cost at this time in my life. 
(This isn't, "So long and thanks for all the fish!")

[/elitism]

<br />While I agree in general, there are a couple of big differences.  Targeted marketing is a far cry from the suspension of Habeas Corpus.   Private companies don\'t generally toss people into unmarked Gulfstreams and send them off to Jackfuckistan to be \"questioned.\" 

Offline Disappear

• It's hard to beat a person who never gives up.
« Reply #418 on: September 09, 2009, 09:17:12 AM »
6 times as many people die each year in your country because it doesn't have a public healthcare system.

Even if you're not serious, I have little doubt many people believe in statements like this, and it is for these reasons that I'm trying to segue away from politics.

I'm not really sure me spending vast amounts of time arguing to walls is worth the opportunity cost at this time in my life.  
(This isn't, "So long and thanks for all the fish!")

[/elitism]

What I made was a true statement. I can see why even a right-winger might be disturbed by it. Too bad all the right has are the same free-market "solutions" that allowed this statistic to become a reality.
"Not by wrath does one kill but by laughter."

Offline Nigerius Rex

« Reply #419 on: September 09, 2009, 01:29:10 PM »
Its like every stereotype I dislike about politics exists in disappear.