Author Topic: The P/R-side Chat Thread v.2  (Read 333577 times)

Offline Scheavo

Re: The P/R-side Chat Thread v.2
« Reply #280 on: July 31, 2009, 01:53:53 PM »
Well that's just stupid. Someone's taste buds is somehow supposed to tell you something about that person? The bumps on your head have as much credibility.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #281 on: July 31, 2009, 02:05:47 PM »
Well that's just stupid. Someone's taste buds is somehow supposed to tell you something about that person? The bumps on your head have as much credibility.
You go to an upscale French restaurant with two other guys.  One orders Prawns, caesar salad, lobster bisque, rabbit with sweetbreads, and the Grand Marnier souffle.  The other guy orders fish sticks and mac & cheese from the kids menu.  Did that just tell you something about the two of them?

Edit:  It could tell you that the fist stick guy had giant juevos and ordered what he actually felt like eating, but that makes a pretty bold statement as well.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #282 on: July 31, 2009, 02:11:33 PM »
Why would someone primarily drink Bud Light? (a) Undeveloped taste buds (b) Merely trying to get drunk (c) You have no interest in trying better, showing a lack of interest in the fineries of life we're offered (d) Brand Loyalty, which is chilling (e) Trying to pander to the American public. None of those reasons look good. Drinking fake beer is just so out there I can't even begin to comprehend it. Unless Biden is a non-drinker for some kind of moral or personal reason.

I don't consider myself a beer connoisseur, but I can at least drink a real beer (Yeungling) if I want.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Disappear

• It's hard to beat a person who never gives up.
« Reply #283 on: July 31, 2009, 02:20:14 PM »
Maybe he didn't want to offend middle America by drinking a good beer. Hell, most non-east coasters probably think Yuengling is foreign.
"Not by wrath does one kill but by laughter."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #284 on: July 31, 2009, 02:31:29 PM »
Fuck Yuengling.  I'm tired of hearing about it. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #285 on: July 31, 2009, 02:48:18 PM »
You go to an upscale French restaurant with two other guys.  One orders Prawns, caesar salad, lobster bisque, rabbit with sweetbreads, and the Grand Marnier souffle.  The other guy orders fish sticks and mac & cheese from the kids menu.  Did that just tell you something about the two of them?

Edit:  It could tell you that the fist stick guy had giant juevos and ordered what he actually felt like eating, but that makes a pretty bold statement as well.

You not only compared an entire menu of items, but also likes and dislikes. You start to admit as much in your edit; but either way, if all you knew is what they ordered, you would most likely have no fucking clue as to what they're like. Sure, you can make a wild assumption, and probably will - but I'm going to guess you're also going to be wrong. There could mean many reasons for someone ordering what he did, and these still hardly say anything alone about the guy. Sure, if you're having dinner with the guy (meaning you're interacting with him constantly, talking with him, etc), this may have a role to play in your opinion of the guy. But that's becuase you then have a lot more information to draw upon and make a conclusion, and not some random piece of information that doesn't really mean much.

Seriously, this is like finding out Obama listens to Fall Out Boy and somehow saying this shows something about his character. Maybe he's not too keen on beer, like lots of people, and finds shit beers the most tolerable? Maybe it's reapsta's a), which means basically nothing. It's hardly something to object to (I really fail to see how this "doesn't look good." Holy shit, he hasn't developed a taste bud for beer? Have you developed the taste for growling music? How about cheese, caviar or fine wine? The list could keep going).

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #286 on: July 31, 2009, 03:04:02 PM »
So you're going to tell me that you wouldn't think any different of him if he wore a Jonas Brothers t-shirt or a "sold out" Score shirt?  Bullshit.  You would make assumptions and they'd probably be right.  We pass judgment on people all the time based on appearances.   

And for the record, I suspect it was Reapsta's A & E.  It's C that concerns me, though.  I'd really like to think we're represented by somebody with at least a modicum of intellectual curiosity. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #287 on: July 31, 2009, 03:11:34 PM »
So you're going to tell me that you wouldn't think any different of him if he wore a Jonas Brothers t-shirt or a "sold out" Score shirt?  Bullshit.  You would make assumptions and they'd probably be right.  We pass judgment on people all the time based on appearances.   

And for the record, I suspect it was Reapsta's A & E.  It's C that concerns me, though.  I'd really like to think we're represented by somebody with at least a modicum of intellectual curiosity. 

I agree with you there, but we don't simply do it based upon what the person is wearing. How is the person walking, talking, moving, holding himself, behave, act, who is he with and why does he appear to be there? In other words, when we do so, we judge based upon the whole, the parts matter only in so much as they make up the whole. You can't simplify it down to one specific thing about the person and describe his entire whole. For one, that's a fallacy.

And if Obama was wearing either t-shirt, I would seriously not giving a fucking shit. People like music for many different reasons and they rarely do they have anything to do with personality, and they especially don't come close to being worthy of judgment. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #288 on: July 31, 2009, 05:30:25 PM »
And at no point did I say that Obama sucks because he drinks Bud Lite.  He sucks, and he has poor taste in beer.  I brought the whole thing up because had he sat down with a cold, refreshing Sierra Nevada, I might have actually had a reason to like the guy.  Instead he gave me yet another reason to be disappointed in him. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #289 on: July 31, 2009, 06:00:01 PM »
And at no point did I say that Obama sucks because he drinks Bud Lite.  He sucks, and he has poor taste in beer.  I brought the whole thing up because had he sat down with a cold, refreshing Sierra Nevada, I might have actually had a reason to like the guy.  Instead he gave me yet another reason to be disappointed in him. 

Seriously. You're still giving someone's choice in beer far too much importance. Their choice in beer "disgusts" you.

https://www.thedailyshow.com/full-episodes/239876/thu-july-30-2009-judd-apatow

You're like Fox and Friends (in the second segment). No matter what Obama does, it's going to be a misstep.

(by the way, I found it funny that Gates went with Red Stripe)

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #290 on: July 31, 2009, 06:22:18 PM »

Don't you live in Texas? How does that work?
Over and over again

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #291 on: July 31, 2009, 06:55:39 PM »

Seriously. You're still giving someone's choice in beer far too much importance. Their choice in beer "disgusts" you.

https://www.thedailyshow.com/full-episodes/239876/thu-july-30-2009-judd-apatow

You're like Fox and Friends (in the second segment). No matter what Obama does, it's going to be a misstep.

(by the way, I found it funny that Gates went with Red Stripe)
I've defended my point and I stand by it.

I had read that Gates drank Sam Adams Lite.  Either way is a respectable choice, even though I don't much care for Sam Adams.

Don't you live in Texas? How does that work?
Any time there's a forum thread about beer, everybody on the East Coast rants and raves about how it's the best beer in the world.  Might be, I wouldn't know.  But since they only sell to 5 states, it doesn't really matter.  I'd love to try it, but if they won't sell it to me, I'd just as soon never hear about it ever again.   

On the bright side, there are probably some great Colorado and California beers that you yanks don't get, so perhaps it evens out. 
E.F. Benson

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #292 on: July 31, 2009, 06:57:18 PM »
I thought Gates had a Red Stripe? Or was that a joke on Colbert that I totally fell for? lol

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #293 on: August 01, 2009, 12:54:41 PM »
Any time there's a forum thread about beer, everybody on the East Coast rants and raves about how it's the best beer in the world.  Might be, I wouldn't know.  But since they only sell to 5 states, it doesn't really matter.  I'd love to try it, but if they won't sell it to me, I'd just as soon never hear about it ever again.   

On the bright side, there are probably some great Colorado and California beers that you yanks don't get, so perhaps it evens out. 

There's no way to get it shipped over there somehow? I don't actually know, but wouldn't there be beer stores that specialize in importing from out of state?
Over and over again

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #294 on: August 01, 2009, 12:58:52 PM »

There's no way to get it shipped over there somehow? I don't actually know, but wouldn't there be beer stores that specialize in importing from out of state?

Yuengling is in that no-man's-land between micro-brew and macro-brew...it's not so small & indie that people everywhere view it as something special, and it's not so big to be able to get massive distribution.  By way of TX comparison, it seems like the same situation for Shiner Bock.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #295 on: August 01, 2009, 04:26:15 PM »
It's actually illegal to bring it here; think Smokey and the Bandit.  The Yuengling folk seem to want it's distribution limited to a few states, and as such, it can't be imported outside of those states; or something like that.  There is actually a Navy PX down in Galveston that occasionally brings some in, but it doesn't do me any good. 

Interestingly, I did some research on it last night and most people outside of that area think it average at best.  Ratebeer.com has it in the 30th percentile.  Beer tends to enjoy significant regional loyalty.  Shiner is very popular down here (my preferred cheap beer), but most outsiders think it's swill.  The difference seems to be that nobody down here would ever say that Shiners the best beer in the world 
E.F. Benson

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #296 on: August 01, 2009, 09:54:40 PM »
I'm can't say Yuengling is the best beer in the world, I haven't tried enough different beers. But it's unquestionably the best beer I've tasted. Better than any Macrobrew I've had by a long shot. And better than the couple of lesser known brews I've tried.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 10:04:11 PM by ReaPsTA »
Over and over again

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #297 on: August 02, 2009, 09:16:21 PM »
Yuengling's just a good cheap beer. The best of the shitty selection. I can't believe people actually make more of it than that.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #298 on: August 02, 2009, 09:36:22 PM »
Yuengling's just a good cheap beer. The best of the shitty selection. I can't believe people actually make more of it than that.
Yeah, I'm definitely starting to realize that.  I've been mislead.  In the meantime, Safeway has Sierra Nevada on sale for dirt cheap for the entire month of August.  Barto be stockin' up. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Disappear

« Reply #299 on: August 02, 2009, 10:40:05 PM »
https://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=105764
 :omg: ;)

Whoever put the "47,O44" easter egg at the top is someone I'd like to have a CHIMAY with.

Offline Jobe

• Market Connoisseur
« Reply #300 on: August 04, 2009, 10:46:03 PM »
https://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=105764
 :omg: ;)

Whoever put the "47,O44" easter egg at the top is someone I'd like to have a CHIMAY with.

Thanks Internet, now whenever I hear "Kenya" I think of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRuNxHqwazs
<br />While I agree in general, there are a couple of big differences.  Targeted marketing is a far cry from the suspension of Habeas Corpus.   Private companies don\'t generally toss people into unmarked Gulfstreams and send them off to Jackfuckistan to be \"questioned.\" 

Offline Disappear

« Reply #301 on: August 04, 2009, 10:49:02 PM »
 :|

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #302 on: August 07, 2009, 05:16:18 PM »
 :lol :lol
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #303 on: August 13, 2009, 05:18:42 PM »
Speaking of rigid and inflexible, did Em go some place cool?  Hadn't heard from down South in a while. 
E.F. Benson

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #304 on: August 14, 2009, 03:35:14 PM »
Self-requested temp-ban, for school reasons.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Jobe

• Market Connoisseur
« Reply #305 on: August 14, 2009, 10:45:32 PM »
Speaking of rigid and inflexible, did Em go some place cool?  Hadn't heard from down South in a while. 

He was supposed to ship me a package of 100% pure Colombian...., uhh, flour, and ran off with the money!

Self-requested temp-ban, for school reasons.

I like my answer better.
<br />While I agree in general, there are a couple of big differences.  Targeted marketing is a far cry from the suspension of Habeas Corpus.   Private companies don\'t generally toss people into unmarked Gulfstreams and send them off to Jackfuckistan to be \"questioned.\" 

Offline Disappear

Offline Nigerius Rex

• Thats Mr. Doctor Professor Patrick
« Reply #307 on: August 16, 2009, 11:59:27 PM »
Why we I fight:
https://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2009/8/14/766711/-Rage-and-Sadness-made-me-do-it...

Rage and sadness made him pay someone else's expense at a business?

Its funny to me that no one helps would be doctors and nurses pay their 8 + years through school, but when they start performing medical procedures that cost a bit of coin its a major injustice that it isn't free.

eff that in the a

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #308 on: August 17, 2009, 12:23:25 AM »
Why we I fight:
https://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2009/8/14/766711/-Rage-and-Sadness-made-me-do-it...

Rage and sadness made him pay someone else's expense at a business?

Its funny to me that no one helps would be doctors and nurses pay their 8 + years through school, but when they start performing medical procedures that cost a bit of coin its a major injustice that it isn't free.

eff that in the a

You do realize most liberals would probably support free higher education? 

Offline Nigerius Rex

« Reply #309 on: August 17, 2009, 01:28:47 AM »

Thats not the point.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #310 on: August 17, 2009, 01:48:24 AM »

Thats not the point.

That's directly the point? You said it's funny to you that no one helps would be doctors, but liberals already/want to help would be doctors.

You're trying to point out a hypocrisy that's not there.

Offline Nigerius Rex

« Reply #311 on: August 17, 2009, 02:50:48 AM »
https://www.freehighered.org/h_statem.html
We, the undersigned, say no, and call for the government to assume responsibility for payment of all tuition and fees for all students enrolled at all public, post-secondary degree-awarding educational institutions.

Free higher education, then free gas, then free food, and electricity and all that stupid shit that the government will pay for with a magical fairy money machine that does not incur debt or suffer the woes of inflation.

My point is that even though you want something something does not make it practical or technically even possible, nor does it justify your motivation for changing something as massive as the US healthcare system.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #312 on: August 17, 2009, 12:07:58 PM »
https://www.freehighered.org/h_statem.html
We, the undersigned, say no, and call for the government to assume responsibility for payment of all tuition and fees for all students enrolled at all public, post-secondary degree-awarding educational institutions.

Free higher education, then free gas, then free food, and electricity and all that stupid shit that the government will pay for with a magical fairy money machine that does not incur debt or suffer the woes of inflation.

My point is that even though you want something something does not make it practical or technically even possible, nor does it justify your motivation for changing something as massive as the US healthcare system.

Why do you just love slippery slope fallacies? This seems to be a theme in all your objections. Free education does not lead to free food and electricity, nor anything else.

And UHC is quite possible. Seeing as how every other modern country has UHC systems, and all them are perform better and for less money than our own, I hardly see how this is not "practical or technically even possible." The argument against UHC is based solely around the confirmation bias - look up the systems in Japan, Germany, Taiwan, Switzerland. GB and Canada are the worst examples, and they're still better than what we have. Hell, you don't even need a public option, or anything directly administered by the government. Making rescission illegal and capping health care profits would go a long way. This would actually reduce the amount of money we spend on health care - and if our government spend money like it should, taxes could actually be lowered. If you're going to complain about the federal budget, it seems to be you should be upset about the part of the budget which has and is making us go bankrupt: "defense."

ANd by the way, that is definitely not the point you had in your oringal post. You were trying to point otu a hyporicsy that when doctors have to pay tons of money and go through lots of schooling, there's no one there helping them. Not only is that wrong (it's like that commentor on fox news saying he never got any help from anybody, but he went on unemployment and got money from Government), but it also ignores the desire s of the people who want UHC. People pushing for UHC also push for cheaper/free higher education.

By the way, the author is making a point about the current health care system that current right wing paranoia has taken up on: "death panels." What would a death panel be in this pipe dream of a government? A body of people deciding not to treat people becuase it would be too expensive. And the point this guy was making was that our current system won't even treat a person who obviously needs to see a doctors becuase a $40 co payment. We have death panels... private one's.

You're also one-dimensionalizing my arguments for UHC.

Offline Nigerius Rex

« Reply #313 on: August 17, 2009, 09:02:42 PM »
Wasnt talking about UHC, I was talking about free higher education which is bullshit and impractical.

but it also ignores the desire s of the people who want UHC. People pushing for UHC also push for cheaper/free higher education.

Thats a generalization of people who want universal health care.

It may have been a bit brash of me to say something broad like that without first reading up on free higher education.

I hate when you do this to me...its not a fallacy. The government has been continuously and more frequently intervening in the private sector recently.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #314 on: August 17, 2009, 10:10:22 PM »
 :tup Scheavo
E.F. Benson