Author Topic: The P/R-side Chat Thread v.2  (Read 333326 times)

Offline Nigerius Rex

• Thats Mr. Doctor Professor Patrick

Offline William Wallace

Re: The P/R-side Chat Thread v.2
« Reply #246 on: July 22, 2009, 01:43:32 PM »

Offline Disappear

• It's hard to beat a person who never gives up.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 04:16:53 PM by Disappear »
"Not by wrath does one kill but by laughter."

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #249 on: July 23, 2009, 10:52:55 PM »
Can someone explain to me what the hell is wrong with Chávez?

Colombia has just signed a "cooperation" with the USA where they will bring the latest technology in military airplanes (Colombia is also receiving atm some Israelis Jet planes) so they can fight the guerilla and shut down their drug traffic (so they don't get more resources and also intercept the guerilla leaders phones and radios in real time and blast those fuckers). But Chávez went crazy saying that what we just agreed to do with the Americans is an "unfriendly" action. So he calls for a total revision of our diplomatic relationships and is going to stop buying our products. He also just confirmed that he's now (as in tonight) buying some tanks from from Russia to make the borders more secure because we and the US Military are going to invade him or facilitate the US entry to Venezuela in a future and near attack or invasion. Apparently you (and us) want his oil.

They guy is just crazy. He's saying that we are now the new Israel of America! Fuck him!

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #250 on: July 24, 2009, 08:04:57 AM »
Hey Reapsta.  What's your problem with Miranda vs. Arizona?  I can think of a couple of possible reasons, but neither of them are very good, honestly. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #251 on: July 24, 2009, 01:45:06 PM »
Can someone explain to me what the hell is wrong with Chávez?

Colombia has just signed a "cooperation" with the USA where they will bring the latest technology in military airplanes (Colombia is also receiving atm some Israelis Jet planes) so they can fight the guerilla and shut down their drug traffic (so they don't get more resources and also intercept the guerilla leaders phones and radios in real time and blast those fuckers). But Chávez went crazy saying that what we just agreed to do with the Americans is an "unfriendly" action. So he calls for a total revision of our diplomatic relationships and is going to stop buying our products. He also just confirmed that he's now (as in tonight) buying some tanks from from Russia to make the borders more secure because we and the US Military are going to invade him or facilitate the US entry to Venezuela in a future and near attack or invasion. Apparently you (and us) want his oil.

They guy is just crazy. He's saying that we are now the new Israel of America! Fuck him!
Truth be told, he's right in a few of those areas.  Helping people fight guerrillas is precisely how we've fucked up huge chunks of the world.  Helping you guys kill drug dealers is a pretty shitty move, as well.  We do want his oil.  We have a long standing history of climbing into bed with questionable people (no offense) because we have issues with their neighbors.  So his comparison of you guys to Israel is somewhat valid.  And lastly, I figure that dude probably already had the biggest collection of T-72s in this hemisphere, along with a lot of other nice but slightly outdated Soviet era hardware.

On a more interpersonal level, he's doing what a lot of leaders of fast-growing medium size countries do.  He's bolstering himself by being a thorn in our side.  It's a time honored tradition that usually works pretty well.  What are we going to do, liberate them?  Didn't work for Hussein, but nobody expected Bush to be the simpleminded lunatic that he was.  For the most part, it's just talking big to someone you know is out of range.

Reminds me of this.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QukmIsFtwy0
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #252 on: July 24, 2009, 02:11:33 PM »
I agree that the USA should give us no help (though I think I'm the only guy around here saying that). To be fair he does think that the CIA orchestrated that Coup against him in 2002 (the CIA has a bad reputation doing that).

What surprises me is that we were from 1988-1998 the most hated country by you guys and when Pastrana came into presidency, and all the help he got from Clinton, we became your new best friend all of a sudden.

I think the problem is that we (Colombia) want nothing to do with Chávez and Venezuela other than commercial affairs (like with any other country). We just want to solve our internal crisis, but Chávez has been helping our guerrilla, he is giving them weapons and shelter. He has meddled in Colombia's internal affairs (and I say that with the most integral objectivity, even though I'm Colombian). He has expressed that he wants to annex Colombia and Venezuela (and Ecuador) again, just like Simón Bolivar (our Libertador) always wanted and recreate La Gran Colombia. He has in the Venezuelan Constitution "arguments" that he can reclaim La Guajira (the department at the North of Colombia) and part of where the River Orinoco ends in Colombia. I think we have more justification to go into war with Chávez than him with us.

Now, if you say that Chávez has a problem with the USA, of course he has! That doesn't mean we're going to get in the way (or who knows, but I frankly believe we won't).

And you are right, the USA should gtfo out of the South ASAP and let ourselves run our own business once and for all.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #253 on: July 24, 2009, 07:49:18 PM »
Hey Reapsta.  What's your problem with Miranda vs. Arizona?  I can think of a couple of possible reasons, but neither of them are very good, honestly. 

Just to quote the Miranda warning for reference:

You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to an attorney present during questioning. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed for you. Do you understand these rights?

That's absolutely true. What I think is ridiculous is how it's the responsibility of the police to inform you. To me, the responsibility is on the citizen to know it beforehand. To me, there's no good reason testimony should be inadmissible if the cops don't read you your Miranda rights. Your fault for not understanding them.

That said, cops should be informing people of their Miranda rights anyway. I don't think the decision is stupid in terms of the practical effects. I'm all for people knowing their rights when the cops are trying to dick them around. I just think it sets bad precedent in two ways. Like I already said, we need to keep consistent on the idea of citizens understanding the law for themselves,* and I really don't like when the Supreme Court makes up rights out of thin air.

*I recognize this is practically almost impossible, which is a problem of the law itself.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #254 on: July 24, 2009, 09:29:56 PM »
Yup, those would be the two.  I was gonna give you the spiel about how Americans are stupid and how excluding unlawfully obtained evidence helps to protect our rights, but you already know all that. 

Here's an angle you might not have considered, though.  I've been detained by the Man on several occasions.  As a non-career criminal it's pretty harrowing.  It takes a very level head to tell a cop "fuck you, I want my lawyer."  I'm here to tell you that most people aren't going to be thinking fifth amendment while they're on the defensive from aggressive assholes with guns.  I suspect there are a lot of highly intelligent people who know damn well their constitutional rights, to whom it just doesn't click in their heads until the obligatory speech. 
E.F. Benson

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #255 on: July 28, 2009, 06:19:12 PM »
Lol. Chávez has terminated the relations between Colombia and Venezuela because of the US Bases here and the recent problem with the rocket launchers (Sweden sold them to Venezuela in the 90s and on Saturday we bombed a FARC camp and found the rocket launchers there). Sweden demanded an explication and they said "we will explain when the time is right". lol. Bunch of ass-holes. And an hour ago Chávez said he couldn't take it any more. So he called his ambassador here in Bogotá and warned: "Any other declaration against Venezuela in behalf of the Colombian government, we expropriate all the Colombian industries here."

"When goods don't cross borders, soldiers will." - Fredric Bastiat

Besides a crooked bastard, he's also a thief! Bring it on, bastard!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 06:51:41 PM by emindead »

Offline Nigerius Rex

« Reply #256 on: July 28, 2009, 11:42:39 PM »

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #257 on: July 29, 2009, 08:27:42 AM »
Justice, or Justice?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZfHZtI_dls&NR=1
No audio up here, but I'm pretty sure I get the drift of it.

It probably was just and absolutely understandable.  However, no cops who were involved in that would be working for my department anymore if I were in charge.  Whether the guy deserved it or not, it wasn't the copper's place to do it.  Furthermore, they're going to do that before a court appearance?  Not only do the cops lack the temperament to be police, they appear to lack common sense as well. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #258 on: July 29, 2009, 12:47:48 PM »
Justice, or Justice?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZfHZtI_dls&NR=1
No audio up here, but I'm pretty sure I get the drift of it.

It probably was just and absolutely understandable.  However, no cops who were involved in that would be working for my department anymore if I were in charge.  Whether the guy deserved it or not, it wasn't the copper's place to do it.  Furthermore, they're going to do that before a court appearance?  Not only do the cops lack the temperament to be police, they appear to lack common sense as well. 

This one, I mostly agree with you. It set's a bad standard, and I don't want vigilante cops taking justice into their hand. That's what the courts are for, and juries.

Offline Nigerius Rex

« Reply #259 on: July 29, 2009, 12:58:56 PM »
If you didn't get the full story due to technical problems; He was being questioned for killing an old woman, on the way out of the place he grabbed a detectives gun and point blanked him in the face, dove out the third story window and was caught a few blocks away. The detective died so unofficially I suppose some of the cops beat the bejeesus out of him because that detective was probably a friend/brother in arms/whatever or something like that. FBI investigation didnt turn anything up, but I wouldn't doubt a couple of guys did it on the street or something completely random.

As for the courts thing, the guy was given his fair chance, he had dates schedules, lawyers, all that, and he grabs a gun and kills a guy on his way out of the police station.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #260 on: July 29, 2009, 01:06:19 PM »
That sequence of events makes it a bit different.  I thought they kicked his ass right before his court appearance, and therefore, a long time after he offed Johnny.  If they did it right after the kaboom, then it was probably a resisting arrest kind of thing. 
E.F. Benson

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #261 on: July 29, 2009, 01:17:47 PM »
Since we're talking about police brutality.

Watch it till the end: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dPXjQHP_2M&NR=1

Offline Disappear

« Reply #262 on: July 29, 2009, 01:43:08 PM »
Uncalled for.

Or, called for.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #263 on: July 29, 2009, 02:08:29 PM »

I think if you kick/punch someone anywhere which could have potentially serious health side effects (like, say, kicking them in the head), you should lose your job. Hitting the guy a little should be considered part of the punishment for running from police.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #264 on: July 29, 2009, 03:03:14 PM »

Again, no sound up here.  So what were the ramifications?  Pretty damn funny, regardless. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Jobe

• Market Connoisseur
« Reply #265 on: July 29, 2009, 10:21:56 PM »
Long weekend, bb like... Tuesday or so.  Will post my thread about voluntaryism then or the next day.
<br />While I agree in general, there are a couple of big differences.  Targeted marketing is a far cry from the suspension of Habeas Corpus.   Private companies don\'t generally toss people into unmarked Gulfstreams and send them off to Jackfuckistan to be \"questioned.\" 

Offline Disappear

« Reply #266 on: July 30, 2009, 01:44:09 PM »

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #267 on: July 30, 2009, 02:50:42 PM »
I don't have audio, but based on the subtitles it's pretty easy to follow.  Isn't lying on a police report a felony?  For the third time in 24 hours, these cops are clearly too stupid to be police officers.  They were filming themselves.  "Dude, videotaping this crime spree is the greatest idea we've ever had!"

About 15 years ago I was at a bank at about 01:00 depositing a check in the ATM.  It was deserted so I just pulled up across the 3 closest parking spaces, jumped out and grabbed a deposit slip and went back to my car.  About 2 minutes later I here sirens.  Some moron thought I was robbing the place and called the cops.  "STEP OUT OF THE CAR WITH YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR!"  I show my ID, a deposit slip, they determine all is well and that's the end of it.  When I'm walking back to the ATM, the cop puts it in reverse, guns it, and slams right the fuck into a concrete pillar.  Buried the thing 18" into his trunk.  It was priceless.  After grabbing some food, I drove back by a half hour later and they're there with their supervisor measuring shit.  I loved it. Almost makes up for one or two of the times cops were assholes to me.  Frankly, they've got a long ways to go. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #268 on: July 30, 2009, 02:54:15 PM »
 :lol That's awesome.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #269 on: July 30, 2009, 06:42:11 PM »
So Dickhead drinks Bud Lite and Biden drinks near-beer.  Who are these people?  Our elected representatives continue to find new ways to disgust me.
E.F. Benson

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #270 on: July 30, 2009, 08:53:32 PM »
Near-beer?

Offline Disappear

« Reply #271 on: July 30, 2009, 09:13:06 PM »
Non-alcoholic beer I assume, since he's a non-drinker. All the shitty taste with no buzz! Hopefully he at least went for an import.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #272 on: July 30, 2009, 09:18:17 PM »
So Dickhead drinks Bud Lite and Biden drinks near-beer.  Who are these people?  Our elected representatives continue to find new ways to disgust me.

Say what you will about Bush, but I don't imagine him making such catastrophic personal failings in his choice of alcoholic beverages.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Disappear

« Reply #273 on: July 30, 2009, 09:54:55 PM »
That's an (unintentionally?) ironic statement, given his well-documented struggle with alcoholism.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #274 on: July 31, 2009, 08:25:04 AM »

Say what you will about Bush, but I don't imagine him making such catastrophic personal failings in his choice of alcoholic beverages.
Actually, I wanna say Bush drank Lone Star as his beer of choice.  I wouldn't rank it any lower than Dickhead's Bud Lite, but then I wouldn't call either of them beer.  When cameras were on him, he drank the same fake beer as Biden. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Disappear

« Reply #275 on: July 31, 2009, 09:02:17 AM »
What's with your Dickhead nickname for Obozo? Surely you can be a little more creative?

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #276 on: July 31, 2009, 10:18:49 AM »
What's with your Dickhead nickname for Obozo? Surely you can be a little more creative?
:sadpanda:
I really, really tried to come up with something better.  Dumbass was just so fitting for his predecessor, and I really wanted to come up with something as good.  What I came up with was Uncle Sambo, but I figured that might get me into trouble.  Besides, my contempt for the man has nothing whatsoever to do with his race, and I wouldn't want people to think otherwise.  Hell, he's whiter than I am as far as I'm concerned.  In casual conversation I had kept referring to him as "that dickhead in the White House," and as is so often the case, it just kind of defaulted into his nickname. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Disappear

« Reply #277 on: July 31, 2009, 10:25:42 AM »
I see.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #278 on: July 31, 2009, 12:53:31 PM »

Wow, your cynicism is getting way out of hand with this post.

And I'm a cynic.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #279 on: July 31, 2009, 01:01:11 PM »
I just think there's a lot you can tell about a person from what they drink. 
E.F. Benson