Author Topic: The P/R-side Chat Thread v.2  (Read 337328 times)

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
Re: The P/R-side Chat Thread v.2
« Reply #1750 on: June 19, 2012, 12:05:53 PM »
I wonder what the over / under is on when Omega will get the PR ban hammer again, when still fresh off the first ban, he posts stuff like this:

Through past experience attempting to discuss philosophical matters -- especially morality -- with others here on this subforum, I've come to discover just how immature and emotional DTFers can be when discussing (attempting to discuss seems a more apt wording of it) certain philosophical matters, if not philosophy in general. Not only would I not be able to get one measly post into the ordeal before receiving point-missing and immature responses such as "but atheists can act good and morally too" (guilty as charged, rumborak) or "lol I don't need to believe in some magical fairy or leprechaun to tell me how to act good," but I'd also have to face the prospect of being "warned" again or some such nonsense after an utterly confused crowd of DTFers who aren't even half sure what to be angry about barge into the thread and demand my head on a platter for having the audacity of disagreeing with and challenging the predominantly secular worldview that most of the users happen to share on this subforum.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1751 on: June 19, 2012, 12:08:15 PM »
What does over/under mean?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1752 on: June 19, 2012, 12:10:14 PM »
Vegas odds.

Offline Adami

« Reply #1753 on: June 19, 2012, 12:11:09 PM »
Oh you colonials and your odd terminology.

Anywho, he won't be banned for that. Since he didn't bring it up, other people did.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #1754 on: June 19, 2012, 12:12:47 PM »
What does over/under mean?

In sports betting, an over/under means you are betting over or under a specific number, like a point total between 2 teams.
Lets say the over/under for a football game is 42 points.  If you feel the two teams will score more than a combined 42 points, you bet the over.  If you feel they will score less than 42 combined, you bet the under.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #1755 on: June 19, 2012, 12:16:11 PM »
Oh you colonials and your odd terminology.

Anywho, he won't be banned for that. Since he didn't bring it up, other people did.

Saying we wont explain himself because the DTF posters who disagree with him are "immature", "emotional", and are unable to properly discuss philosophy wasnt a topic brought up by anyone.  It looks like his condescending attitude towards other posters hasnt changed.  I am taking the under.

EDIT:
Funny enough, I was going to send a pm welcoming him back, assuming that he had plead his case to the mods, and had changed his ways.  Then I saw that post.   :facepalm:
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 12:23:23 PM by eric42434224 »
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Omega

« Reply #1756 on: June 19, 2012, 12:28:32 PM »
You know I can read this thread, right, eric?
ΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩ

Offline Omega

« Reply #1757 on: June 19, 2012, 12:35:59 PM »
How about, eric, you stop talking about me behind my back (proverbially, as it were) and stop antagonizing me, no?
ΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩ

Offline Adami

« Reply #1758 on: June 19, 2012, 12:38:33 PM »
How about, eric, you stop talking about me behind my back (proverbially, as it were) and stop antagonizing me, no?

It's a chat thread. Should we start a thread dedicated to someone asking if we think you'll be banned again?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Omega

« Reply #1759 on: June 19, 2012, 12:40:29 PM »
Should you even be asking if or suggesting for someone to be banned again? Should it ever be fine to antagonize another user?

Offline Adami

« Reply #1760 on: June 19, 2012, 12:41:58 PM »
Should you even be asking if or suggesting for someone to be banned again? Should it ever be fine to antagonize another user?

No one suggested you should be banned. I even pointed out that I don't think you will be. But if you jump into a pool, you should expect some waves.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #1761 on: June 19, 2012, 12:53:03 PM »
You know I can read this thread, right, eric?

Yes I do.

I am not talking about you behind your back.  I am talking about you in a public thread.  I think that your posting style has got you in trouble, and it appears you havent learned your lesson.  This is readily apparent by calling other posters immature and emotional.  Don't think of it as antagonizing, but think of it as someone trying to alert you that the behavoir which caused you to take a vacation hasnt changed.
I hope you stay, but I am taking the under.
Good luck.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Omega

« Reply #1762 on: June 19, 2012, 12:53:14 PM »
Whether I ever "jumped in" such a pool is precisely what is in question. The main reason why I ever received warnings and such is because people begin to unfairly antagonize me and post comments precisely like "wonder when he will be banned again" which then a hair-tiggered mod sees and erroneously convinces himself that some sort of disciplinary action must be taken. It's a simple-minded snowball effect which comments like eric's only serve to initiate. So how about you and others grant me the reciprocal courtesy of not conversing about my standing with the mods or my "closeness" to being banned. And while we're there, how about we also stop with the " :facepalm: Wow here we go again! Close the thread" manure-of-comments which are not only rude and annoying, but also contribute to that pathetic snow-ball situation I just described. It goes without saying that I'm quite sure that I've not participated in any of those petty actions towards any other forum member. I just expect the same in return.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #1763 on: June 19, 2012, 12:56:16 PM »
Whether I ever "jumped in" such a pool is precisely what is in question. The main reason why I ever received warnings and such is because people begin to unfairly antagonize me and post comments precisely like "wonder when he will be banned again" which then a hair-tiggered mod sees and erroneously convinces himself that some sort of disciplinary action must be taken. It's a simple-minded snowball effect which comments like eric's only serve to initiate. So how about you and others grant me the reciprocal courtesy of not conversing about my standing with the mods or my "closeness" to being banned. And while we're there, how about we also stop with the " :facepalm: Wow here we go again! Close the thread" which are not only rude and annoying, but also contribute to that pathetic snow-ball situation I just described. It goes without saying that I'm quite sure that I've not participated in any of those petty actions towards any other forum member. I just expect the same in return.

The only reason you were warned/banned was because people unfairly antagonized you?
That statement is 100% deserving of a  :facepalm:
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Omega

« Reply #1764 on: June 19, 2012, 12:58:57 PM »
Whether I ever "jumped in" such a pool is precisely what is in question. The main reason why I ever received warnings and such is because people begin to unfairly antagonize me and post comments precisely like "wonder when he will be banned again" which then a hair-tiggered mod sees and erroneously convinces himself that some sort of disciplinary action must be taken. It's a simple-minded snowball effect which comments like eric's only serve to initiate. So how about you and others grant me the reciprocal courtesy of not conversing about my standing with the mods or my "closeness" to being banned. And while we're there, how about we also stop with the " :facepalm: Wow here we go again! Close the thread" which are not only rude and annoying, but also contribute to that pathetic snow-ball situation I just described. It goes without saying that I'm quite sure that I've not participated in any of those petty actions towards any other forum member. I just expect the same in return.

The only reason you were warned/banned was because people unfairly antagonized you?

The main reason

Cease conversing with me or about me, eric. I've not the patience to do so with you.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #1765 on: June 19, 2012, 01:04:28 PM »

The main reason

Cease conversing with me or about me, eric. I've not the patience to do so with you.

I think you will be solving that problem by yourself.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Adami

« Reply #1766 on: June 19, 2012, 01:05:05 PM »
Omega you seem like a very intelligent person. However the only way to not get banned around here (in your case especially) is to take some responcibility for your actions and stop attacking everyone who disagrees with you. You weren't warned/banned because the rest of us all decided to gang up on you. You got warned/banned because you are very antagonizing toward the rest of us. You belittle everyone who disagrees with you and cannot seem to comprehend that view points other than your own are equally valid as yours. You drag on convo's for the sake of not admitting that you needn't be dominant. This is what got you in trouble. All you have to do is try to be a little nicer, calmer and more open minded and you'll do fine.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #1767 on: June 19, 2012, 01:21:50 PM »
Not really any profit to discussing the fate of omega, so please move on. 

Offline Adami

« Reply #1768 on: June 19, 2012, 01:23:22 PM »

Fair enough. 10 to 1 odds says Yeshaberto gets permabanned. Anyone want to take that one?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1769 on: June 19, 2012, 01:30:19 PM »
This is why I love you all.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1770 on: June 19, 2012, 01:30:52 PM »

Fair enough. 10 to 1 odds says Yeshaberto gets permabanned. Anyone want to take that one?
Twenty quatloos on the newcomer.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

« Reply #1771 on: June 19, 2012, 01:31:53 PM »

Twenty quatloos on the newcomer.

I see your twenty quatloos sir and raise you 5 bars of gold pressed latinum.

Wait, who's the new comer?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #1772 on: June 19, 2012, 01:33:51 PM »

You dont love us.

You want us for a possession, something to look at like a painting or an ivory box.
Something to own and to display. You dont want us to be real, or to think or to live.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Adami

« Reply #1773 on: June 19, 2012, 01:34:36 PM »

You dont love us.

You want us for a possession, something to look at like a painting or an ivory box.
Something to own and to display. You dont want us to be real, or to think or to live.

Yea but it's a dry heat.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1774 on: June 19, 2012, 01:36:08 PM »
I think a better wager would be a which comes first: Yesh gets permabanned, or Yesh gets promoted to New Jesus.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

« Reply #1775 on: June 19, 2012, 01:37:28 PM »
I think a better wager would be a which comes first: Yesh gets permabanned, or Yesh gets promoted to New Jesus.

I bet 5 tribbles that he gets promoted to New Jesus.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline yeshaberto

« Reply #1776 on: June 19, 2012, 01:40:29 PM »
does this involve wearing sandals and a robe and traveling around healing people?

Offline Adami

« Reply #1777 on: June 19, 2012, 01:41:22 PM »
does this involve wearing sandals and a robe and traveling around healing people?

It involves wearing sandals, then dying then being really disappointed once that happens.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1778 on: June 19, 2012, 01:41:44 PM »
What if his new gig is contingent on his willingness to sack the original one first?
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

« Reply #1779 on: June 19, 2012, 01:43:12 PM »
What if his new gig is contingent on his willingness to sack the original one first?

Ohhh I like that. Would you kill your own god to become the next god? Very interesting.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #1780 on: June 19, 2012, 01:45:32 PM »

It involves wearing sandals, then dying then being really disappointed once that happens.

Well fuck, that's an easy job description.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1781 on: June 19, 2012, 01:46:14 PM »
I'd be all over it, but in Yeshua's case, I'd put my money on the permaban.
E.F. Benson

Offline Omega

« Reply #1782 on: June 19, 2012, 01:55:09 PM »
Omega you seem like a very intelligent person. However the only way to not get banned around here (in your case especially) is to take some responcibility for your actions and stop attacking everyone who disagrees with you. You weren't warned/banned because the rest of us all decided to gang up on you. You got warned/banned because you are very antagonizing toward the rest of us. You belittle everyone who disagrees with you and cannot seem to comprehend that view points other than your own are equally valid as yours. You drag on convo's for the sake of not admitting that you needn't be dominant. This is what got you in trouble. All you have to do is try to be a little nicer, calmer and more open minded and you'll do fine.

Thanks, Adami (no, that's not sarcasm). Yet there's a deep conflict here in DTF that has contributed greatly to my warnings and banning and such:

You cannot seem to comprehend that view points other than your own are equally valid as yours.

This very idea is what has caused so much confusion on this subforum. For it is patently false. All "view points" cannot fail to be unequally as valid as others. You and others seem to have succumbed to a deeply pernicious form of relativism in which all view points are equally as valid as others. But that cannot fail to be false. For example, under this supposition, were I to propose some absurdity such as that the law of gravity doesn't exist and is nothing more than an illusory tool thought up by men to empower themselves and to subordinate women, you'd have to grant that my view point is as "equally valid" as any other. Or you might say "that's true for you, perhaps," but that simply denies that there exists truth that is independent of the mind and which we can all (and indeed do all) acknowledge exists whether one realizes such or not. Unfortunately, such is often taken for granted. For if we accept that radical supposition that other view points are all equally valid, then we cannot say to someone who believes such an absurd thing about gravity that he is wrong. All we could do is merely say that we "don't like" his viewpoint. Truth would become nothing more than a subjective opinion. It goes without saying that such philosophical sophistry has not only been defeated since the time of Socrates, but is also patently self-defeating. Analogues can be drawn, for example, in one of the many discussions I've participated on cosmology here on DTF. I would claim and defend, for example (and this is just an example; I'm not defending such a claim here nor am I interested in defending it at the present in such an intellectually noxious environment), that both scientific discoveries and philosophical arguments entail that the universe began to exist and that the universe's ultimate fate was to succumb to heat death. Yet instead of pointing flaws in the arguments I employed to arrive at such conclusion and out of a motivation to reject the conclusions I reached because they didn't sit well with their atheism, many users instead opted to say such absurdities and non-sequitors as "well, that's just your viewpoint" or "you can believe that, but I don't". But such poppycock is hardly a defense of their own views and hardly a critique of the conclusions I arrived at through scientific and philosophical means. If anything, such utterances only serve to demonstrate just how philosophically uninformed such a person really is. And the fact that such a radical supposition is held by the majority of the users on this forum -- even by some of the moderators, it appears -- (and which played a large part in my banning and still plays a large part in my antagonization) is a sure sign of the deeply rooted intellectual and philosophical decadence of the community of users of the P/R section of DTF (note that, if it's not obvious enough, I'm not calling anyone anything like "stupid" nor is it my goal to do so. If that is what you have taken away from reading this, then I'm afraid you've grossly misunderstood the observation I'm making here).

Furthermore, Adami, I'm not sure the accusation that I'm "attacking everyone who disagrees with me" is fair; to be sure, one can surely misunderstand or misconstrue my posts to be an "attack" on others, but that is not the case. The only sense in which I "attack" others is by critiquing their worldview through (hopefully) reasoned responses posts. I don't ever recall dismissing another's arguments or conclusions because of the person presenting them (ad hominem fallacy) nor do I recall ever attacking someone personally. I'll accept, though, the charge that I may have been impolite here and there (which were often in response to impoliteness towards me), but haven't we all been impolite in dealing with others on the internet at least once? Also, I don't "drag conversations on for the sake of not admitting that you needn't be dominant"; I rather defend my assertions as I would expect anyone else to do if they come to be critiqued or challenged by others.

Offline yeshaberto

« Reply #1783 on: June 19, 2012, 02:06:42 PM »
Omega, I am giving you the benefit of the doubt that you have not yet read my PM or my post in the fear of death thread.
Do not post in P/R.  If you can do so voluntarily, this will be a bonus.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1784 on: June 19, 2012, 03:33:24 PM »
Mubarak is not dead, SCAF has been cooking this up for a while so he'd be taken out of Egypt.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.