Author Topic: The P/R-side Chat Thread v.2  (Read 338353 times)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: The P/R-side Chat Thread v.2
« Reply #1645 on: May 02, 2012, 09:28:32 PM »
Kinda disappointed that no one really responded to Odysseus' point that I brought up again later in that thread, but oh well.

Christians don't do things like murder homosexuals because those laws were specifically for the Israelites, not Christians under the new covenant.

Jews don't murder homosexuals because we're not insane.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ehra

« Reply #1646 on: May 02, 2012, 09:30:24 PM »
Just to be clear, Romans 1 is specifically targeted at Israelites?

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1647 on: May 02, 2012, 09:34:54 PM »
Just to be clear, Romans 1 is specifically targeted at Israelites?

Well no, Leviticus is. Romans one is Paul, and Paul is an insane person. However from a Christian point of view, I believe he isn't commanding death, just expressing that god will judge them badly, which is fine.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1648 on: May 02, 2012, 10:04:24 PM »
Kinda disappointed that no one really responded to Odysseus' point that I brought up again later in that thread, but oh well.

Christians don't do things like murder homosexuals because those laws were specifically for the Israelites, not Christians under the new covenant.

Jews don't murder homosexuals because we're not insane.
:rollin
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1649 on: May 03, 2012, 07:08:16 AM »
So I was on Facebook just now when I got this in my News Feed: https://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/maraniss-excerpts-obama-ex-girlfriend-recalls-sexual-warmth-173445825.html

My question for the author, for the readers, for the world: Who the fuck cares? :lol
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1650 on: May 03, 2012, 10:03:19 AM »
This thing with FOX and Spirit Airlines is a real trip.  They really seem to be on a mission here.  Since Saturday:

Facebook users heap baggage on Spirit Airlines after dying vet refused refund

In passenger complaints, Spirit Airlines soars above the competition

Should Spirit Airlines refund dying vet's money?

Give Spirit Airlines an 'F' in Public Relations 101

Spirit Airlines offers no discount for military, unlike most U.S. carriers

Why can airlines be so rigid on its no-refund ticket policies?

Vets mull boycott of Spirit Airlines after dying former Marine denied refund

Spirit Airlines' final answer to dying Vietnam vet seeking ticket refund: No

Airline denies refund for cancer patient
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #1651 on: May 03, 2012, 10:33:16 AM »
sorry.  duplicate post.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 10:56:46 AM by eric42434224 »
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #1652 on: May 03, 2012, 10:47:01 AM »
Omega, your points and posts are painfully easy to understand. You really don't need to keep trying to play that card.

As has been shown plenty of times, apparently not.

You're not a misunderstood soul that people just don't get. You're some random guy who holds a world view that practically no one agrees with.

Exactly Ehra.  Omega, you can make your point, defend your position, etc....but not everyone will agree with you.  You should already realize by now that with your views, many wont agree with you.  A big issue is that you treat your position or assertion as the only correct version, when in fact, it is merely an opinion.  You will notice that many times posters (myself included) will say that you are entitled to your opinion, but that they just are not in agreement.  The difference is that we realize that our position is what we believe, and yours is what you believe (both with valid support for that belief)....but you place your position as right, correct, and true...period....and that we are just flat out wrong.
The threads dont get locked because we disagree, or because we cant understand.  They get locked because they all inevitably end up at the same roadblock...the point when all meaningful discussion has passed.
And then to say we are not educated or intelligent enough to understand just makes things worse.

Ok then.  Have a good day.
Sincerely;
He-whose-name-you-shall-not-utter
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 10:56:20 AM by eric42434224 »
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1653 on: May 03, 2012, 11:02:17 AM »
Omega, your points and posts are painfully easy to understand. You really don't need to keep trying to play that card.

As has been shown plenty of times, apparently not.

You're not a misunderstood soul that people just don't get. You're some random guy who holds a world view that practically no one agrees with.

Exactly Ehra.  Omega, you can make your point, defend your position, etc....but not everyone will agree with you.  You should already realize by now that with your views, many wont agree with you.  A big issue is that you treat your position or assertion as the only correct version, when in fact, it is merely an opinion.  You will notice that many times posters (myself included) will say that you are entitled to your opinion, but that they just are not in agreement.  The difference is that we realize that our position is what we believe, and yours is what you believe (both with valid support for that belief)....but you place your position as right, correct, and true...period....and that we are just flat out wrong.
The threads dont get locked because we disagree, or because we cant understand.  They get locked because they all inevitably end up at the same roadblock...the point when all meaningful discussion has passed.
And then to say we are not educated or intelligent enough to understand just makes things worse.

Sincerely;

What, eric?

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #1654 on: May 03, 2012, 11:04:39 AM »

Sincerely;

What, eric?

Well, before I respond, Scheavo, thanks for the consideration of starting a thread (though, as precedent has shown, the thread may spiral into madness again as non-philosophically oriented people come into the thread and state something along the following {just as rumborak and He-whose-name-I-shall-not-utter seem to already be on the path to doing  :|}: "What is this I don't even! We must lock this thread! I don't know what the crap Omega is saying!"). Also, the topic isn't really about Nietzsche, I might add. It's -- as you may have guessed -- whether morality is objective and the consequences of whether it is or is not. I only mentioned Nietzsche merely as an example of an atheist who was able to follow out the repercussions of his atheism fully and logically.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1655 on: May 03, 2012, 11:22:46 AM »
Oh wow, didn't see that. :lol

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1656 on: May 03, 2012, 12:56:40 PM »
this is how we could take care of over populated prisons

take the mass murderers or people who are 100% guilty and have killed someone, have no signs of remorse, and start doing prison fights. charge admission PPV etc. Lower prison populations and bring in some $. Rate out of 10.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1657 on: May 03, 2012, 12:58:55 PM »
Or just spend a single bullet on each one tomorrow and you'll instantly see some serious cost reduction. Over the years my view on the death penalty has moved towards two extremes, if you can't be 100% sure, then no death penalty, but those who we are sure about should just be eliminated quickly and efficiently.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1658 on: May 03, 2012, 01:00:00 PM »
Or just spend a single bullet on each one tomorrow and you'll instantly see some serious cost reduction. Over the years my view on the death penalty has moved towards two extremes, if you can't be 100% sure, then no death penalty, but those who we are sure about should just be eliminated quickly and efficiently.

But the PPV, man. Charge like 400 a fight. You know someone would pay hella cash to actually watch someone die.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1659 on: May 03, 2012, 01:00:52 PM »

But the PPV, man. Charge like 400 a fight. You know someone would pay hella cash to actually watch someone die.

I also know we have this thing called the bill of rights. :p
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #1660 on: May 03, 2012, 01:01:25 PM »
Even ignoring the entire Hunger Games thing you have going there, making money off of prisoners is a very bad idea.

I don't see any way to legislate a system that is 100% correct, not to mention drawing the line for what qualifies for the death penalty.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1661 on: May 03, 2012, 01:02:38 PM »
Hey man, I'm the one posting ideas!

(friends decided to feed me a few drinks. kind of mind blowing stuff going on in my brains)

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #1662 on: May 03, 2012, 01:06:41 PM »
Would you seriously watch that?

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1663 on: May 03, 2012, 01:07:32 PM »
Would you seriously watch that?

no, but there are sick fuckers in this world.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1664 on: May 03, 2012, 01:11:48 PM »
I actually knocked around the Circus Maximus 2000 idea about 20 years ago.  The trick is to do it in international waters, and buy condemned prisoners from countries that just don't give a shit.  Americans would publicly never go for it because allowing them to fight to the death isn't as Christian as strapping them down and shooting them full of poison.  Privately, every household in America would tune in. 
E.F. Benson

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1665 on: May 03, 2012, 01:14:15 PM »
I actually knocked around the Circus Maximus 2000 idea about 20 years ago.  The trick is to do it in international waters, and buy condemned prisoners from countries that just don't give a shit.  Americans would publicly never go for it because allowing them to fight to the death isn't as Christian as strapping them down and shooting them full of poison.  Privately, every household in America would tune in.

El Barto/Snapple ticket for 2016?

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #1666 on: May 03, 2012, 01:22:14 PM »

That is so fucked up :lol

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #1667 on: May 04, 2012, 07:37:47 AM »
A little late, but I loved this:

"Fuck the White House Correspondents' Dinner"
Tomorrow evening, the cream of our nation's mainstream media celebrities, political celebrities, and celebrity celebrities will put on tuxedos and evening gowns and gather in a ballroom in Washington, DC to mutually give one another handjobs, in a mostly metaphorical sense. This is because the most powerful elements of our nation's DC press corps are all "on the same team" as the people they cover (politicians) and the people they idolize (celebrities). This is called the White House Correspondents' Association Dinner, and it is the single most revolting annual gathering of pseudojournalistic cocksuckery in all the land.

Do you know who knows that the White House Correspondents' Association Dinner is a shameful display of whoredom that makes the "average American" vomit in disgust, or, more likely, simply continue to disregard the findings of any ostensibly neutral journalistic outlet in favor of their own ideology of choice, because they have a fully solidified belief that the "mainstream media" is little more than a bunch of ball-lapping lapdogs to whoever's in power? Everyone. Everyone knows this. Even the members of the media who attend the White House Whores Despondence Dinner know this, deep down, whether they admit it openly or lie defensively about how they, the true professionals, can stand in a receiving line to backslap and shake the hands of politicians like groupies and pose for pictures with Ashton Kutcher and Alec Baldwin and Stephen Baldwin and Anna Paquin and no, it does not matter tomorrow, because they are professionals who would never be compromised by the fact that they just spent their favorite evening of the year joshing playfully with the powerful officials they are supposed to be afflicting and reveling in their close proximity to the celebrities that they wish they were.

This is not just any segment of the working press, enjoying a night out. This is the DC press corps, which has arguably the most important job in American journalism: informing the public about the activities of its government, and serving as a strong and omnipresent check on the government's power. Great to know that our fearless watchdogs are busy swilling wine with the people they are supposed to be covering and introducing them to their wives and posing for pictures with Mila Kunis.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #1668 on: May 04, 2012, 09:08:43 AM »
I dont see the problem with the event being basically a fun night out with handjobs.  Every industry should have a night like that, regardless of the importance of the job.  Sounds like the author is pissed he wasnt invited.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #1669 on: May 04, 2012, 09:11:36 AM »
The problem is that the Dinner is representative of the vast majority of the press' relationship with the government the other 364 days of the year too. We don't have a watchdog press anymore.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #1670 on: May 04, 2012, 09:20:11 AM »
The problem is that the Dinner is representative of the vast majority of the press' relationship with the government the other 364 days of the year too. We don't have a watchdog press anymore.

I would say to characterize the professional relationship the other 364 days by one fun dinner event is probably not a fair assessment.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1671 on: May 04, 2012, 09:26:36 AM »
And we do have watchdog press. It may not be the mainstream, but it does exist. Alternet is a good example, even though I personally don't like them.

https://www.alternet.org/

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #1672 on: May 04, 2012, 09:45:38 AM »
I think we're pretty fucked if Alternet is the best we can do. Obviously, there are good aversarial journalists out there but I'm talking about the vast majority of the establishment press. The Wolf Blitzers and Brian Williamses of the world and their respective employers, if you will.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1673 on: May 04, 2012, 11:13:36 AM »
I think we're pretty fucked if Alternet is the best we can do. Obviously, there are good aversarial journalists out there but I'm talking about the vast majority of the establishment press. The Wolf Blitzers and Brian Williamses of the world and their respective employers, if you will.

Oh, I never said they were a good watchdog. :lol

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1674 on: May 04, 2012, 12:57:20 PM »
edit - going to put in election thread.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1675 on: May 06, 2012, 09:18:01 AM »
TN house passed a bill allowing parents to sue teachers for 'condoning gateway sexual activity':

Hugging? You better not be doing that in Tennessee.

The state has passed a long-mocked bill allowing parents to sue teachers and other outside parties for “promoting or condoning ‘gateway sexual activity’ by students.” The controversial measure is intended to curb teen pregnancy and is an offshoot of the state’s growing abstinence-based sex education program.

At the heart of the matter, most of the controversy stems from the “gateway sexual activity” line, which remains vague and was not clearly defined before the bill went to vote. Some detractors argue that it could unreasonably punish teachers for allowing students to cuddle, hold hands or even hug, whether in the halls between classes or at a school dance.

While critics say that abstinence-based sexual education doesn’t do as good a job preventing teen pregnancy as comprehensive sex ed programs, at least one study has shown that abstinence-based programs can delay sex among teens. And supporters of the bill say that Tennessee schools have to do something; as local media outlet WMC-TV reported:

According to a 2009 Youth Risk Behavior Study, 61 percent of Memphis City high school students and 27 percent of middle school students have had sex. That’s higher than the national average.
The bill, which was sponsored by Republican Rep. Jim Gotto of Nashville, passed with a vote of 68-23. According to the Associated Press, 60 Republicans and eight Democrats voted yes while 22 Democrats and one Republican voted against the bill.

Unsurprisingly, Planned Parenthood has remained unsupportive of the bill. As the group’s Director of Education Elokin CaPese noted, “If the state of Tennessee gets to create the [sex] curriculum, it has to create something that umbrella reflects everyone.”

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #1676 on: May 06, 2012, 03:29:22 PM »
Christian side-hugs all 'round!
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1677 on: May 06, 2012, 03:31:43 PM »
JESUS NEVER HUGGED NOBODY LIKE THAT

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1678 on: May 08, 2012, 10:01:14 PM »
And now for something completely different:

https://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/05/08/the-ecotopiast-who-glimpsed-the-future/?hp

Yes, it is all very utopian sounding, but if we can somehow manage to work our way towards it, we can go a long way in fixing this mess. And hey, in some sense the smelly hippies of the 60s did get to make their change, as social developments in the 70s and 80s will show (the Internet and the EPA being the most visible of these, but there were numerous others).

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1679 on: May 09, 2012, 08:48:45 AM »
Would be suicide bomber was US informant

At this point I kind of have to ask, have we prevented any terrorist plots that weren't our own?  Anytime you hear about an attack that didn't go off, either it was all orchestrated by the FBI, sometimes quite dubiously, or it was thwarted by sheer, dumb ass luck, like the Time's Square bomb. 

I'll make clear that I'm not opposed to FBI sting operations, as long as they're against actual terrorists and not incompetent lackeys, but you shouldn't get to toot your own horn afterward.  Hell, by that logic I'm America's greatest hero because I've prevented myself from blowing shit up for 14,965 consecutive days.
E.F. Benson