Author Topic: The P/R-side Chat Thread v.2  (Read 339334 times)

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
Re: The P/R-side Chat Thread v.2
« Reply #1540 on: March 26, 2012, 11:41:55 PM »
This whole thing is just a big mess. I've been trying not to get involved.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1541 on: March 27, 2012, 08:39:14 AM »
So there's something I don't get in the Trayvon case...  Zimmerman argument is that he was acting in self-defense, and he showed signs of being attacked, and witnesses report Trayvon being on top of Zimmerman. Well, if Zimmerman was following Trayvon, and Trayvon felt threatened, wouldn't he have been defending himself? If he was defending himself, how could Zimmerman be defending himself?
I considered the same thing this morning.  My best guess is that being followed isn't a legal excuse for attacking someone. 

I agree with the FL AG.  They seem to have gone out seeking to fix something that wasn't broken, and created quite a mess in the process.  After listening to Zimmerman's 911 call, I've no doubt that he felt threatened, yet it does seem to be a situation that he could have avoided.  The problem is that use of force can now be considered a first option instead of a last resort.  The traditional version of self defense statutes probably would have compelled Zimmerman to avoid the confrontation in the first place, and would have done nothing whatsoever to prevent him from defending himself had he needed to. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1542 on: March 27, 2012, 08:46:08 AM »
I don't say this much, but interesting Cracked article: https://www.cracked.com/article_19785_5-ways-modern-men-are-trained-to-hate-women.html

File this under gender relations, which I never realized how truly fucked up they are.

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #1543 on: March 27, 2012, 09:34:39 AM »
So there's something I don't get in the Trayvon case...  Zimmerman argument is that he was acting in self-defense, and he showed signs of being attacked, and witnesses report Trayvon being on top of Zimmerman. Well, if Zimmerman was following Trayvon, and Trayvon felt threatened, wouldn't he have been defending himself? If he was defending himself, how could Zimmerman be defending himself?
I considered the same thing this morning.  My best guess is that being followed isn't a legal excuse for attacking someone. 

I agree with the FL AG.  They seem to have gone out seeking to fix something that wasn't broken, and created quite a mess in the process.  After listening to Zimmerman's 911 call, I've no doubt that he felt threatened, yet it does seem to be a situation that he could have avoided.  The problem is that use of force can now be considered a first option instead of a last resort.  The traditional version of self defense statutes probably would have compelled Zimmerman to avoid the confrontation in the first place, and would have done nothing whatsoever to prevent him from defending himself had he needed to.

Here's what I don't get about this whole thing.  Even if Trayvon was the one who attacked Zimmerman, has it come out that Trayvon was armed with something?  Even like a knife or something?  Because even if Zimmerman was completely getting his ass beat, and I understand using deadly force to defend yourself if you feel that your life is in danger, since when is it ok to shoot somebody who is unarmed?  How is your life in danger when somebody is attacking you unarmed, unless the person attacking you is the size of Shaq or Gregor Clegane or something?  Is Zimmerman trying to imply that he thought Trayvon was going to kill him with his bare hands, and he had no choice but to shoot him to protect his own life?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1544 on: March 27, 2012, 10:01:29 AM »
Well for one thing, I believe Zimmerman stated that he thought Travon was going for his gun. 

Aside from that, one of the purposes of the so-called stand your ground legislation is that a person in GZ's position is under no obligation to wait and see how badly a person might harm him, and I agree with that reasoning.  Plenty of people do get beaten to death by unarmed assailants, and I'm not going to wait around to find out if some guy is going to only beat me up for 3 minutes before leaving, or continue beating me until I'm the late El Barto.

Traditionally, the word reasonably comes into play, and a jury would determine if you got it right.  Here in Tejas:
Quote from: The Man
a person is justified in using force against
another when and to the degree he reasonably believes the force is
immediately necessary to protect himself against the other's use or
attempted use of unlawful force.
There are two important aspects of that.  "When and to the degree" establishes a continuum.  Force from both parties escalates.  A jury would determine if deadly force was reasonable under the circumstances, and in this situation it might or might not have been.  The fact that Travon was unarmed is only one component.

The second part is "reasonably believes." Another thing a jury would have to consider.  Also something that might well fall onto Zimmerman's side in this instance.  After listening to the 911 call,  I believe GZ had a reasonable belief that Travon posed a threat. 

Where Zimmerman would fall afoul of the Texas statute is going back to that continuum, he probably could have avoided the confrontation, and he should have been obligated to do so. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #1545 on: March 27, 2012, 10:40:05 AM »
Right on.  I don't know, the notion that one grown man needed to use a firearm for protection in a fist fight with another grown man just seems odd to me.  I can understand if he was being jumped by multiple people, but one on one? 

This whole thing is just a big mess. I've been trying not to get involved.

Yeah I'm going back to this stance.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #1546 on: March 27, 2012, 04:41:55 PM »
After listening to Zimmerman's 911 call, I've no doubt that he felt threatened, yet it does seem to be a situation that he could have avoided.

I won't get into Zimmerman feeling threatened (as that get's into the race issue), but it's quite clear Zimmerman was following Trayvon, and Trayvon's girlfriend reports him saying this guy was following him. Now, if someone's following you, wouldn't you feel threatened?

Basically, this would set a precedent where you could just follow someone until they attack you, pull out a gun and shoot them, and then claim self defense if a fight breaks out. Or any other such scenario, where you basically force the fight without doing anything direct, then claiming self defense. Be a complete ass hole, have a punch thrown at you, shoot the person, claim self defense.

I mean, I agree that I think there needs to be a more level playing field for self defense claims - sometimes, it seems as if the person has to then prove their innocence, when the point of our judicial system is that you're supposed to be innocent until proven guilty - but if this is how the law plays out (and I've heard worse anecdotes).

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1547 on: March 27, 2012, 05:06:19 PM »
Ah hell, you don't even need to follow somebody.  All you need to do is find yourself in a place with no witnesses and it becomes your word against that of a dead man.  That's the problem I'm seeing here.  I haven't considered it enough to form an opinion, but I'm not sure the onus shouldn't be on the shooter to prove self defense.  What I do know is that the state of Florida seems to have made it too easy to kill someone; hence the huge increase in justifiable homicide cases there.

As for Travon, I agree he had every right to feel threatened.  I would have too.  What I probably wouldn't have done is confronted the guy following me.  He was talking to his old lady on the phone, why didn't he call the cops?  Seems to me like they probably both fucked up, and the whole thing is compounded by the state legislature making a mess of their homicide laws.   

What's fascinating to me about the whole thing is the likelihood of ever seeing something that resembles justice, and whether or not it'll matter.  It's entirely possible that GZ was justified in shooting him.  It's just as likely that he wasn't morally justified, but within his legal rights.  And it's possible that he just wanted to shoot a black kid.  At this point, given the snowballing sensationalism, will any of it actually matter?  Everybody's claiming that they want justice, but I doubt any of them are going to like what they get.  This is actually starting to remind me of Rodney King, and that's a very, very bad thing.
E.F. Benson

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #1548 on: March 27, 2012, 05:21:34 PM »
Ah hell, you don't even need to follow somebody.  All you need to do is find yourself in a place with no witnesses and it becomes your word against that of a dead man.  That's the problem I'm seeing here.  I haven't considered it enough to form an opinion, but I'm not sure the onus shouldn't be on the shooter to prove self defense.  What I do know is that the state of Florida seems to have made it too easy to kill someone; hence the huge increase in justifiable homicide cases there.

That's bad enough, but so far what's happening is basically saying you can have evidence describing your behavior as provactive, and still claim self defense. I agree that the law is insane if it just says, "kill someone in private." It reminds me of medieval Japan.

As for Travon, I agree he had every right to feel threatened.  I would have too.  What I probably wouldn't have done is confronted the guy following me.  He was talking to his old lady on the phone, why didn't he call the cops?

I don't know much about it, but form what I hear, black people don't tend to trust the police too much, and I don't blame 'em. He's also just 17, maybe he wanted a good story to tell his friends.

Seems to me like they probably both fucked up, and the whole thing is compounded by the state legislature making a mess of their homicide laws.   

I can agree with this, but in terms of who fucked up more, and who is more responsible, I'd say that's Zimmerman. He decided to carry a gun, making it a possibility for someone to grab it. Plus, after Trayvon saw it, maybe he felt threatened. Some guys who's following you, and he has a gun? I'd still say Trayvon has the much better claim for self-defense, and I don't see how two people can really be defending themselves from each other, at the same time.

So in terms of justice, Zimmerman deserves some punishment. Manslaughter is made for cases like this. 

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1549 on: March 29, 2012, 07:53:51 AM »
https://qkme.me/3oizam

I never learned how to embed Quickmeme pictures.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #1550 on: March 29, 2012, 08:12:53 AM »
dere u go

Offline j

« Reply #1551 on: March 30, 2012, 04:24:42 PM »

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #1552 on: March 30, 2012, 04:40:46 PM »
What did he do?

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1553 on: March 30, 2012, 10:23:02 PM »
I'm sure there are some people here who would love this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WB6p5QPVhPI&feature=related

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #1554 on: March 30, 2012, 10:26:55 PM »
Wow. Supreme Douchebag Drone Bomb and Torture Loverman Deputy National Security Advisor John Brennan has been selected to speak at my alma mater's commencement this spring. I feel so bad for the class of 2012.

Some Jesuit values.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1555 on: March 30, 2012, 10:30:26 PM »
Hey, I've never even heard of the person who's doing ours.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #1556 on: March 30, 2012, 10:37:55 PM »
This asshole graduated from the school. Oh gosh I am just so bothered by that. SO glad we didn't get someone like that last year. 

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1557 on: April 04, 2012, 09:47:18 AM »

Offline Riceball

• It's the economy, stupid.
« Reply #1558 on: April 04, 2012, 11:03:38 PM »
*dismayed - even though not affected directly by this law in any way*
I punch those numbers into my calculator and they make a happy face.

A $500 Musical Odyssey: Now accepting nominations

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1559 on: April 05, 2012, 04:09:22 AM »
This is kinda of a long story with a lot of background on Egyptian political life for the last 5 or 6 month but I just wanted to share an amusing moment in the new Egyptian phase we're going through right now. The front runner of the Egyptian presidential elections has been disqualified after truly gathering enough momentum and support to win the race, this guy was turning into a gold God for the vast majority of Egyptians and a few days ago it was rumored his mom was American, it was confirmed a few hours ago. The law says neither the president nor his parents could have dual citizenship.
His supporters are so in shock that I almost feel sorry for them even after all the long exhausting -sometimes harsh- debates they put me and other undecided voters over the last few month.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1560 on: April 05, 2012, 01:35:03 PM »
Fucking birthers.
E.F. Benson

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1561 on: April 05, 2012, 02:13:34 PM »
What now?

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #1562 on: April 05, 2012, 03:11:40 PM »
dave mustaine

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1563 on: April 05, 2012, 03:28:06 PM »
I thought that was a while ago already?

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #1564 on: April 05, 2012, 03:35:35 PM »
No clue what Simpson was actually referring to, but this came out a few days ago: https://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/mar/30/dave-mustaine-megadeth-barack-obama?newsfeed=true

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #1565 on: April 05, 2012, 03:40:48 PM »
Fucking birthers.

I think this is true of most conspiracy theories, but with the birther movement it seems all that much more relevant: if the powers that be went through all this trouble to forge Obama's records, so as to make him President, what the FUCK do you really think your movement is going to do? Furthermore, why would they let this issue continue to get news?

If what they claim is true, then they basically make impotent any reason why we should care about their claims.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1566 on: April 09, 2012, 11:04:46 AM »
Hey guys check it out, I think he may be onto something this time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-CrNlilZho&feature=related

Offline Riceball

• It's the economy, stupid.
« Reply #1567 on: April 10, 2012, 12:07:40 AM »
I punch those numbers into my calculator and they make a happy face.

A $500 Musical Odyssey: Now accepting nominations

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1568 on: April 10, 2012, 05:40:21 AM »
Hey, American FSOs are pretty terrible about that too. I'm sure the number of American diplomats who can speak the language of their client countries can be counted on one hand.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #1569 on: April 11, 2012, 12:41:29 PM »
So there's one thing I can agree with fiscal conservatives on:

Just filed my taxes today... getting back $600 dollars. My effective tax rate? -46.25%.*

Don't tax me, but don't give me money. The silly thing about it is, all that money's most likley just going to be used for student loans, and going right back into the governments hand.

*Also, that refund is coming back due to tuition at a college.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #1570 on: April 12, 2012, 08:15:29 PM »
Excellent video on the problems of a car-centric society:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bv0Fjk9D968
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1571 on: April 17, 2012, 05:34:57 AM »
An event I was invited to by this cute girl in my Econ class:

Be a part of the 99% Spring, called for by over 60 progression organizations, and get training in non-violent direct action along with 100,000 others all around the country. We are training ourselves to prepare for 6 weeks of action to show the 1% we are here to stay and plan to change some things.

That awkward moment when you have to explain that you pretty much are the 1%. :lol

And in other news:

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #1572 on: April 17, 2012, 06:53:55 AM »
I saw that on Facebook :lol

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #1573 on: April 18, 2012, 11:35:02 AM »
 :lol
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member