Author Topic: The P/R-side Chat Thread v.2  (Read 339150 times)

Offline Scheavo

Re: The P/R-side Chat Thread v.2
« Reply #1120 on: June 16, 2011, 12:47:53 PM »
Even in a thread about everything Obama, it's hard to carry on 5 different discsussions at the same time. It just get's confusing.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1121 on: June 16, 2011, 12:50:33 PM »
Even in a thread about everything Obama, it's hard to carry on 5 different discsussions at the same time. It just get's confusing.

But there aren't 5 different discussions, it's 1 discussion with 5 different sets of details.

Some people: Obama isn't the devil.
EV, Tick, Praxis and others: Obama is the devil.
People who don't care: Bush is worse.

That's it. And it always results in each side saying that the argument is pointless, but then somehow continuing for several pages. How many times have people said "Well this isn't worth arguing with you" or something along those lines? Hell, I'm pretty sure Tick actually retired from the forum 4-5 times in the past week or so.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1122 on: June 16, 2011, 12:56:25 PM »

That's it. And it always results in each side saying that the argument is pointless, but then somehow continuing for several pages. How many times have people said "Well this isn't worth arguing with you" or something along those lines? Hell, I'm pretty sure Tick actually retired from the forum 4-5 times in the past week or so.
As I said a couple of weeks ago, most discussions in this forum won't accomplish much.  Nobody's going to convince EV that Obama isn't the Antichrist,  and nobody's going to convince Bosk that there is no God.  That doesn't make those discussions pointless.  Often time tangents arise that are interesting to discuss. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

« Reply #1123 on: June 16, 2011, 12:58:51 PM »
I guess if you're really into American politics, then yea, this place may on occasion bring up a short lived tangent or two, but I tend to think there's a lot more to politics and religion than simply Obama and Jesus, respectively.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1124 on: June 16, 2011, 01:35:30 PM »
To add to that, there wouldn't be anything wrong with continued discussion if it didn't always end up in the same freaking place every freaking time.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1125 on: June 16, 2011, 09:09:20 PM »
I have inadvertently found what I can only call a horrifyingly misinformed left-wing radical: https://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=43945.msg2706851#msg2706851

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1126 on: June 23, 2011, 03:02:11 PM »

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1127 on: June 23, 2011, 05:26:34 PM »
More fuel for the fire: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-usmvYOPfco
Well that was civilized.

Truth be told, that's actually the plan for both parties since either way we're beholden to insurance companies to determine who can get treatment and how much they can receive.  Personally,  I'm pretty confident that if McCain had been elected, we'd be discussing McCaincare, and it would look identical. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1128 on: June 23, 2011, 05:46:56 PM »
That's kind of the irony of it all: just as '08 elections were rolling around, Obamacare to be was proposed in the House by Republicans, not Democrats. The only reason they're shitting on it now is because Obama took their obscure bill and made it the centerpiece of his early agenda.

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1129 on: June 25, 2011, 10:55:09 AM »
Watching a documentary about the Tea Party in the US. Obama would still be right wing here, so imagine how right wing the tea party seems for me  :-X.

edit: I'm glad I never have to see someone like Glenn Beck on TV here.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 11:21:49 AM by TheVoxyn »

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #1130 on: June 25, 2011, 12:13:52 PM »
You do have Wilders.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1131 on: June 25, 2011, 12:22:05 PM »
You do have Wilders.
Yep, but he doesn't have a tv show and on most points he isn't as right wing as the tea party seems to be. And that's saying a lot.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1132 on: June 28, 2011, 05:37:53 PM »
I guess that back in the Cold War era, calling someone left-wing was today's equivalent to right-wing.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #1133 on: June 28, 2011, 08:19:40 PM »
Not really.  The former accusation implied treason.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1134 on: June 28, 2011, 08:22:35 PM »
Ahhh yes, back in the day when if you suggested the war on Communism was the least bit overwrought or believed the American capitalist system could use just a smidge of welfare, THEN YOU WERE A PINKO! :yarr

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1135 on: June 29, 2011, 08:35:04 AM »
I golfed and had dinner with G.Gordon Liddy's nephew last night. This man was in Washington at the time the "shit" hit the fan(and had some very interesting details). Naturally once he told people who he was a big Nixon discussion ensued.
Fascinating time in American history.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1137 on: July 06, 2011, 08:32:17 AM »
Wow. I don't really know what The Patriot Act actually allows the US government to do but I read this today:

Last week, Microsoft quietly confirmed that cloud data stored on its European servers can still be handed over to American investigators -- and the EU is none too pleased about it. As it turns out, the revelation has shed new light on a fundamental conflict between US law and the EU's Data Protection Directive -- an edict requiring that companies notify consumers whenever sharing their personal information. The bi-lateral Safe Harbor agreement calls for similarly strict protocol, but under the Patriot Act (which trumps all else), companies like Microsoft could be forced to hand over private data without informing targeted individuals. In response, some members of the European Parliament are calling upon legislators to take action and to implement safeguards that can't be overridden by third-party governments. It remains to be seen whether or not this leads to any new laws or transatlantic tensions, but if we've learned anything, it's that Europeans take their clouds very seriously.

And it's pretty shocking.

Source:

https://www.engadget.com/2011/07/06/microsofts-patriot-act-admission-has-the-eu-up-in-arms/

Online Adami

« Reply #1138 on: July 09, 2011, 02:50:12 PM »
So I just found out that Iranian passports say "not valid in Israel" on them. I was curious if this was Iran's rule?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1139 on: July 09, 2011, 02:52:50 PM »
I would think so, given that Iranian foreign policy and rhetoric is very plainly anti-Israel. And I'm sure the Israeli government isn't complaining.

Online Adami

« Reply #1140 on: July 09, 2011, 02:56:46 PM »
I would think so, given that Iranian foreign policy and rhetoric is very plainly anti-Israel. And I'm sure the Israeli government isn't complaining.

Well I'm just trying to make sense of the whole passport situation there, it's really confusing and hard to find definitive information on. I know if you have an Israeli passport, or a stamp entering or exiting from Israel, you can't go to like most Arab countries and a lot of African countries. I also know that Israel has no rule about passport stamps, meaning they'll let people in who have been to any country, although they may face some intense questioning upon arrival. However, several countries have their passports state that it isn't valid in Israel. It just seems weird that a country would actually legally ban its own citizens from entering Israel. I mean, Iranians can go to Israel.......I'm just curious what the passport situation is then, are they still Iranian citizens in Israel since their passport is apparently deemed ineffective by the Iranian government? Also, I dunno..........it's just super confusing. I'm not sure any other countries passports actually have a disclaimer in them about not being allowed into any other country.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1141 on: July 09, 2011, 03:23:10 PM »
A few minutes of research suggests that Iranians probably shouldn't even bother trying to travel anywhere.  That sucks.  

It does appear that Israel recognizes Iranian passports as valid, though (even though Iranians claim them to be invalid), since they bother to stamp them.  It also appears that on your return, the Iranians will unperson you almost immediately because of that stamp.  

Edit:  as for the reason,  I suspect it's symbolic of their non-recognition of Israeli statehood.  What the disclaimer actually says is "not valid for entry into occupied Palestine." 
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

« Reply #1142 on: July 09, 2011, 03:26:19 PM »
A few minutes of research suggests that Iranians probably shouldn't even bother trying to travel anywhere.  That sucks. 

It does appear that Israel recognizes Iranian passports as valid, though (even though Iranians claim them to be invalid), since they bother to stamp them.  It also appears that on your return, the Iranians will unperson you almost immediately because of that stamp. 

Yes, it's messed up. I have a friend from Dubai, she said if she goes to Israel on her UAE passport, Dubai won't let her back in.

But as far as I know UAE has nothing on their passport about it being invalid in Israel (or occupied Palestine, as they actually say). It just seems weird countries would make such an extreme law.

However I wasn't aware the Iranian passports aren't allowed in Egypt or Jordan. Not sure how enforced that rule is, but it seems strange.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1143 on: July 09, 2011, 03:29:17 PM »
There's a list of travel requirements for Iranian citizens on WikiP.  Only a handful of countries will let you in without a visa (or give you one when you arrive).  Almost everybody wants you to get a visa in advance, and generally they'll just deny you. 
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

« Reply #1144 on: July 09, 2011, 03:31:00 PM »
There's a list of travel requirements for Iranian citizens on WikiP.  Only a handful of countries will let you in without a visa (or give you one when you arrive).  Almost everybody wants you to get a visa in advance, and generally they'll just deny you. 

I'm mostly curious about the whole "not valid in occupied Palestine" deal. Iran isn't the only country who has that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1145 on: July 10, 2011, 09:31:18 AM »

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1146 on: July 14, 2011, 03:49:24 PM »
Austrian Man Wins Right to Wear Pasta Strainer in License Photo

In Austria one of the strangest fights for religious freedom has come to an end: Niko Alm, a self-described "Pastafarian," fought for three years for the right to wear a pasta strainer on his head in his driver's license photo.

His argument? Alm claimed he belonged to the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster and wearing the strainer was part of his religion.

Really, it only amuses me because the people who made him undergo psychiatric counseling will probably tell you that angels are real and that Jesus walked on the water. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #1147 on: July 14, 2011, 06:40:49 PM »
 :lol
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1148 on: July 14, 2011, 08:18:42 PM »
 :lol

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1149 on: July 14, 2011, 10:25:49 PM »
RAmen!

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1150 on: July 15, 2011, 06:42:56 AM »
Really, it only amuses me because the people who made him undergo psychiatric counseling will probably tell you that angels are real and that Jesus walked on the water. 

True dat.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #1151 on: July 15, 2011, 07:26:14 PM »
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1152 on: July 16, 2011, 08:36:02 AM »
Wasn't there a link somewhere around here calculating how much more likely you were to be killed by a cop than by a terrorist attack?

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1153 on: July 16, 2011, 10:21:35 AM »
Wasn't there a link somewhere around here calculating how much more likely you were to be killed by a cop than by a terrorist attack?
Check Sceavo's police state thread.  I think it was 9x.
E.F. Benson

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1154 on: July 19, 2011, 09:38:44 AM »

Wow at the second comment he/she made...