Author Topic: David Maxim Micic  (Read 3163 times)

Offline Bill Carson

David Maxim Micic
« on: June 13, 2012, 09:15:36 AM »
Has anyone heard of him ? One of my friends on facebook posted this as they thought I may like it being into prog n all

https://davidmaximmicic.bandcamp.com/album/bilo-20

The guitar playing (as good as it is) is not anything groundbreaking but his mash up with other instruments and styles certainly makes it more interesting then a lot of guitar albums i've heard.

"Along For A Ride" stood out to me on first listen.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: David Maxim Micic
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 12:56:15 PM »
My friend is into them. I enjoy a few of his stuff.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 06:53:30 PM »
Wow! Just came across this musician myself. Its like Satriani, Dream Theater, Devin Townsend, Periphery and a bit of Jordan Rudess mash up.

Between his solo releases (Bilo and Bilo2) and his other band Destiny Potato (think a djent version of Devin's Addicted!) he seems to making his way.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 11:52:54 AM »
Bilo 3.0 has some of the most beautiful music I've heard. If you enjoy music, I suggest giving this a listen.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 07:59:40 PM »
This guy's stuff is awesome. Haven't heard Bilo 3.0 more than once (I can't stand growls) and Bilo 2.0 is a bit meh IMO. Anyways, I fucking love Bilo part IV.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 08:48:04 PM »
Bilo 3.0 has some amazing vocals and I don't hear much growls in 3.0

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 08:45:49 AM »
I've been digging it up for the last few months and I think Bilo 3.0 is one of the most amazing albums I've ever heard. Wrinkle Maze is just... :hefdaddy. Btw, David recently posted that he's now working on Bilo 4.0! I'm really excited to see what can he come up with.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 11:11:43 AM »
Bilo 3.0 is one of the best albums I've heard, its a good one for my tastes.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 08:38:50 AM »
David's band, Destiny Potato, have released their debut. Amazing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aK3hF3bVPs

Offline finzeo

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2022, 10:54:23 AM »
It's a good time to bring this thread up to date: David has announced a new album that continues the Bilo saga, after Bilo 3.0, which was, in my opinion and that of several here, a true progressive gem.

I can't believe DMM doesn't have a more active thread (but hey, it's been years since they put out new stuff)

Those who haven't heard Bilo 3.0, have a great opportunity to hear something new and brilliant (although one might think of it as putting Dream Theater and Devin Townsend in a blender), and have a kind of melodic prog/djent emerge, with shades of Serbian folk music, as far as I understand. Bilo 3.0 is very abstract, it has a certain air of happiness (difficult to see in this genre  :mehlin) and epicness (the solo in Wrinkle Maze, one of the most emotional I've heard in my life).

So: Bilo IV - 21 August 2022

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2022, 12:29:49 PM »
Oh yeah I saw that on FB, finally :lol. I don't have high hopes tbh, but I'm open to whatever he can bring.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2022, 12:59:45 PM »
I love this album with David on guitars. It's a fantastic and FUN album. Freak is insanely groovy.

https://sordidpink.bandcamp.com/album/sordid-pink

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2022, 04:28:07 PM »
More than just the guitarist for Sordid Pink/Destiny Potato, he's the brainchild behind it, it's just a bit more collaborative than his solo work, which I guess is quite collaborative too, just more on a rotating guest appearance basis.  But he's another guy with the Midas touch.  When I first heard the Townsend comparisons I was a bit puzzled, but with that in mind I could hear it at times.  "Take a Picture" kind of sounds like something Devin might do if he had more djent influences.  And the instrumental demo for "Strange Night" does sound eerily like Dream Theater, but he's kind of gotten away from that over time and developed his own style.  If anything, his projects are really closer to a quirky, fusiony version of TesseracT.  Maybe a more atmospheric Periphery with way better vocals.  LUN, Who Bit the Moon, and ECO are some of my all-time favorite albums.  He and Djelmas really work well together.  Her Djelmash album that he was involved with is also great.  I wish we'd also gotten more material when Radosavljevic (the other Aleksandra) was in the band as well, but it wasn't to be.  The "Potato Salad" medley was spectacular.  I guess the Devin influence was incredibly contagious, because Aleksandra R. covered "Supercrush" in her other band Above The Earth. 
« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 10:33:12 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2022, 08:25:51 AM »
More than just the guitarist for Sordid Pink/Destiny Potato, he's the brainchild behind it, it's just a bit more collaborative than his solo work, which I guess is quite collaborative too, just more on a rotating guest appearance basis.  But he's another guy with the Midas touch.  When I first heard the Townsend comparisons I was a bit puzzled, but with that in mind I could hear it at times.  "Take a Picture" kind of sounds like something Devin might do if he had more djent influences.  And the instrumental demo for "Strange Night" does sound eerily like Dream Theater, but he's kind of gotten away from that over time and developed his own style.  If anything, his projects are really closer to a quirky, fusiony version of TesseracT.  Maybe a more atmospheric Periphery with way better vocals.  LUN, Who Bit the Moon, and ECO are some of my all-time favorite albums.  He and Djelmas really work well together.  Her Djelmash album that he was involved with is also great.  I wish we'd also gotten more material when Radosavljevic (the other Aleksandra) was in the band as well, but it wasn't to be.  The "Potato Salad" medley was spectacular.  I guess the Devin influence was incredibly contagious, because Aleksandra R. covered "Supercrush" in her other band Above The Earth.

Thanks for the insight. I'm about to start checking out some of the David solo albums you have in high regard and Above the Earth.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2022, 08:34:21 AM »
Bilo III and Lun are my favorite albums of his. I haven't really been crazy for any of his albums after Lun (Eco and Sordid Pink were good but not great, Who Bit The Moon is probably his weakest release), but I'm still excited for Bilo IV! It's been a long time coming.

Ego also deserves a mention as a great EP, mostly due to the final track which is one of his best ever. That ending is just crushing.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2022, 11:18:57 AM »

Thanks for the insight. I'm about to start checking out some of the David solo albums you have in high regard and Above the Earth.

Damn man! I'm enjoying absolutely everything with the Djelmash album, Who Bit the Moon, Above the Earth and Destiny Potato.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2022, 05:20:43 PM »
Bilo III and Lun are my favorite albums of his. I haven't really been crazy for any of his albums after Lun (Eco and Sordid Pink were good but not great, Who Bit The Moon is probably his weakest release), but I'm still excited for Bilo IV! It's been a long time coming.

Ego also deserves a mention as a great EP, mostly due to the final track which is one of his best ever. That ending is just crushing.
I personally loved Eco but yeah Ego has quite a killer ending track :metal

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2022, 05:20:05 AM »
Bilo III and Lun are my favorite albums of his. I haven't really been crazy for any of his albums after Lun (Eco and Sordid Pink were good but not great, Who Bit The Moon is probably his weakest release)

Interesting.  What do you not enjoy as much about WBTM?  I'm a huge Plini fan, and that's the album he leans into that facet of his sound the most, which probably makes me predisposed to like it more.  Plini is the guy that brought me back into guitar-oriented music after having sort of burnt out on it for quite awhile before that.  LUN has a bit of everything, but selecting Bilo III makes me think you prefer either the bonkers experimental stuff like on "Smile" or "Where Is Now?", (more Townsend influence probably now that I think about it) or the virtuoso guitar spots from Zytecki, Loomis, and Nilsson.  That's just an unfair amount of firepower on that album (Loomis' own Plains of Oblivion is also quite stacked, though a different overall vibe).  Also two great appearances from Aleksandra R. 
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 05:25:46 AM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2022, 07:56:04 AM »
Bilo III and Lun are my favorite albums of his. I haven't really been crazy for any of his albums after Lun (Eco and Sordid Pink were good but not great, Who Bit The Moon is probably his weakest release)

Interesting.  What do you not enjoy as much about WBTM?  I'm a huge Plini fan, and that's the album he leans into that facet of his sound the most

You might have just answered your question for me. :lol Generally, guitar-focused instrumental rock/metal bores me to tears. I know Plini is a bit different (I haven't listened to him much) but I don't really care for bands like Animals As Leaders, Polyphia, Scale The Summit, etc. They just generally don't have the variety to keep my interest. David Maxim Micic is a big exception to that; for one he actually uses vocals on a handful of his songs, and even when he doesn't the way he composes his music just feels a lot more dynamic, thoughtful, and emotional than his contemporaries. Bilo III, to me, just feels like a big, epic prog metal album that happens to have a few instrumentals. Smile and Daydreamers do a lot of the heavy lifting on that album, and those have tons of vocals (and good ones, too). Where Is Now is one of the most bombastic, emotional, and uplifitng openers I've heard; there's been many of times I've thrown that song on when I just need an instant hit of happiness. Funnily enough the weird scat singing part towards the end is my least favorite part of it, so I definitely don't like the album just for being experimental. :lol I do hear a lot of Devin Townsend influence on that album like you say, but that's less to do with the weirder parts of it and more how David mixes heavy riffs and walls of sound with a bright, warm atmosphere. The intro to Smile instantly made me think of Addicted when I first heard it, which happens to be another one of my favorite albums of all time.

Who Bit The Moon just feels lacking in ideas for David's standards. It feels intentionally understated compared to his other works, which is fine, but that results in it being a lot more uninteresting to me. There's songs like 687 Days and the title track that feel like they only really have a single idea in them, and often the ideas aren't that memorable or just feel like weaker versions of stuff he's done before. I also think something was lost in making the sound less-heavy; like I said in the above paragraph, that mix of loudness and warm, uplifting atmosphere is what makes his best stuff so good. I kind of had that issue with Eco as well, but that album had some stronger songs to make up for it.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2022, 01:11:34 PM »
One other thing I'll also say about Bilo III is that it's one of the best-mixed albums I've heard, especially for the genre. Where Is Now is always one of the first songs I go to when trying out a new audio system; that drop at the beginning is just too perfect.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2022, 12:44:58 PM »
And I think the drums are fully programmed, which is crazy considering how good they sound.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2022, 08:50:15 AM »
Sometimes I have a hard time believing they're all programmed.  He's had such fantastic live drummers, and pretty incredible players in Destiny Potato as well.  If the solo albums are all programmed, he has to be way up there in terms of the best drum programmers out there.  I don't think I've ever seen him play drums for real, but he really has a grasp on how to incorporate them effectively.  He's also a very underrated keyboard player. 

There's songs like 687 Days and the title track that feel like they only really have a single idea in them

"687 Days" I can understand somewhat.  It and "Living Room" are similar feeling tracks to me, with a lot of repetition, but the effect to me is more of entrancement.  However, if the basic idea doesn't work for some I can see why they might come across as a bit monotonous.  The title track though, I think has a lot more different ideas and moods, and even the central theme that is repeated is far from static, he develops it in various ways.  Despite having a prog background, there actually aren't all that many 10:00+ minute tracks that I listen to often.  But that is one of them, it has a good argument for being my favorite song of his.  The only thing I'm not crazy about is the vocalization towards the end from his niece (IIRC).  It's a bit too saccharine, and I'd have preferred a guest spot, maybe from Miyoki from "Stardust", another favorite track of his (and that Plini guest solo is mindblowing). 

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2022, 09:02:18 AM »
And I think the drums are fully programmed, which is crazy considering how good they sound.

Especially on Nostalgia. Programming drums like that and pulling it off is extreme big dick energy.

The only thing I'm not crazy about is the vocalization towards the end from his niece (IIRC).  It's a bit too saccharine, and I'd have preferred a guest spot, maybe from Miyoki from "Stardust", another favorite track of his (and that Plini guest solo is mindblowing).

I actually like the child vocals on Daydreamers, but yeah on Who Bit The Moon they just don't fit as well.

Stardust is good yeah, though I think I prefer The Flock.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2022, 09:12:11 AM »
It's fascinating that we both like his music, but seem to have quite different preferences for songs.  I'm curious, what are your favorites on LUN

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2022, 09:39:08 AM »
It's fascinating that we both like his music, but seem to have quite different preferences for songs.  I'm curious, what are your favorites on LUN?

Indifferent would be #1 for sure. Just a perfect combination of catchy melodies and great riffs. Following that would probably be Take A Picture, U.Y.M., House Of Lies, and Addict in no particular order. It's a really great album though so there's very few weak songs on it. Blue Sun and Lost Dream aren't that memorable to me though. The only song I'm kinda hmmm on is Love Song - a lot of Destiny Potato / Sordid Pink songs walk along the line of cringey lyrics but that song just faceplants over it. :lol

My favorite solo DMM songs are Where Is Now, Daydreamers, and Devise.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2022, 10:08:03 AM »
Ah, so we agree on "Indifferent" and "Take a Picture".  "House of Lies" is probably fifth.  And then "Walls of Thoughts" is probably my third, and actually, "Love Song" is likely fourth.  I'm not normally into humor in music, but he's one of the few guys where I don't mind it.  I don't really pay attention to lyrics in general, and I'm not sure if he wrote those or if Aleksandra did, I might have to track down my copy of the CD.  Kind of surprising there isn't even more silliness throughout, actually.  He's kind of in that Zappa lineage.  The crazy thing is how he can get away with so much musical whiplash and have it sound coherent.  One moment we have beautiful melodies, 20 seconds later blast beats and growls, and then 30 later that gorgeous clean break.  It's also cool how in the alternate versions it works as an electronic pop song or a piano ballad as well. 
« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 10:37:23 AM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2022, 02:51:27 PM »
Might as well bump this to build anticipation for Bilo IV, and since David just won me a roulette round.  The release date is November 25, after having been delayed from the original August and then September release dates.  And it's been a long time in the making of course, I think in '16 he'd thought it was half-done, but probably not in retrospect. 

First single, sounds like it could have been on Who Bit the Moon?.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wC4Bv348tE

Sample from another song and a bit on the writing process for the album. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lbKPBJEnws

Sample from a third? song, sounds like the one Aleksandra will be on. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iOVzcDEAFs

Speaking of her, the "lesser" tracks on the Sordid Pink s/t have really been growing on me of late.  The middle section of "Rust" is becoming possibly my favorite part on the album.  I've started it around 2:22 and let it run to about 4:21 and rewound that section many times in the last couple weeks.  "I Told You" has become really addicting as well. 

I had a mild epiphany about the relation of the album to the other three they've both been involved with.  On one end, we have Bilo III, which is mostly David's ideas, with various guests, including Alekandra on "Smile".  It's quite experimental, with ideas all over the place that probably shouldn't work if anyone else tried them, but David has the Midas touch.  On the other end is Aleksandra's Crossroads EP, which is more of an atmospheric pop-rock album, with her doing most of the writing, and David mainly doing some guitars, programming, and production/engineering.  Not really that weird, just infectious songcraft. 

Then we have the in-between albums.  Destiny Potato's Lun, which is primarily written by David, is a condensation of his quirky ideas into a more accessible djenty pop-metal context, but is still pretty experimental at times.  Then we have the Sordid Pink s/t again, where David and Aleksandra shared the writing much more than on Lun.  I think this is the reason a lot of chunks of it don't feel as much like Destiny Potato and David's solo material.  There's less instrumental insanity on it and more traditional songwriting.  I almost wonder if it would have been even better received as a Djelmash solo or even just a collaboration album, which would have set different expectations for it, since I think I'm unusual in being into the band as much if not more for her vocals, whereas the bulk of fans seem to be more into David's writing and/or playing. 

Anyway, here's hoping that Bilo IV has a chance at being album of the year.  We have three long weeks to wait now. 

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2022, 05:02:17 AM »
The whole thing is up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBzuEa_Pz8s

"Cry", wow. 
« Last Edit: November 24, 2022, 05:36:17 AM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2022, 06:56:09 AM »
Gonna take a lot more time to process this.  I think the answer to the question "was this worth the wait?" is yes.  I don't like when people hand out 5-star ratings to albums on release day and overhype them, but there's definitely something special about this one.  I keep listening to the sequence of "Away" into "Cry" and it's hard to think this won't be the album of the year for me.  I can see tracks from this being used in roulettes in the future, and it is some of the most cinematic metal I've heard.  I think the best, albeit overly simplified way to describe this to people might be if Devin Townsend, Animals As Leaders, and Plini collaborated to score a film. 
« Last Edit: November 24, 2022, 07:12:17 AM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2022, 08:30:03 AM »
It's a Thanksgiving miracle!

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2022, 08:31:33 AM »
Was going to berate you for listening to a leak but listening now on Bandcamp!

Just reading the amount of people who played on this album, and the variety of instruments, has me incredibly hyped

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2022, 08:34:34 AM »

I know, how dare he leak his own album by uploading it to his official YouTube channel a whole one day before its street date. :neverusethis:

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2022, 08:38:25 AM »
Leak, leak from the tap don't slip. Leak, leak from the tap don't slip on the leak.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2022, 09:06:36 AM »

I know, how dare he leak his own album by uploading it to his official YouTube channel a whole one day before its street date. :neverusethis:

Who is this being who took over David's body and released Bilo IV so early?  The real David wouldn't have released this until he was 80!  I'm blaming Ziltoid. 

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2022, 09:43:31 AM »
Well David certainly went all-in on the feels on this one. It's quite different than the past Bilo albums - waaay more orchestral and cinematic, less metal and song-oriented, but it definitely feels like a culmination of the story and the emotions conveyed throughout the project, and it's a strong progression from Bilo III in that regard. No wonder he waited for the birth of his first child to release it. :)