Author Topic: Christians and work ethic  (Read 11353 times)

Offline AndyDT

Christians and work ethic
« on: June 11, 2012, 03:57:28 PM »
How do you view your career and work as a Christian? As things you want to achieve or service? If you feel things are stagnant do you trust in God to change events so that you have to change or do you mix things up yourself? Personally  I've tried to do work where I can serve in some way and let God work out the details.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
Re: Christians and work ethic
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 04:12:46 PM »
I can think of few careers where religion matters even remotely. I guess you generally want a job where you can make a positive difference in the world, but most people want that anyway.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 05:34:00 PM »
How do you view your career and work as a Christian? As things you want to achieve or service? If you feel things are stagnant do you trust in God to change events so that you have to change or do you mix things up yourself? Personally  I've tried to do work where I can serve in some way and let God work out the details.

You can serve God by working in a field that's not even remotely related to Him. The job can bless you in ways that you can have the time/money/whatever to do what you need to do. Don't forget interactions with people (I don't mean straight up go "DO YOU BELIEVE IN JESUS?!!?" but rather, let them see your actions and who you are).

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 04:40:56 AM »
If you feel things are stagnant do you trust in God to change events so that you have to change or do you mix things up yourself?

"God helps those who help themselves".
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline wolfandwolfandwolf

• Gym Rat
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Really Scrappy Player
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 06:08:37 AM »
If you feel things are stagnant do you trust in God to change events so that you have to change or do you mix things up yourself?

That statement is what has perverted Christianity for so many people.  It's not even remotely biblical.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 07:57:14 AM »

That statement is what has perverted Christianity for so many people.  It's not even remotely biblical.

There are enough perversions of christianity due to statements taken directly from the bible, as to make any perversion from this particular "non-biblical" statement pretty much a non-issue.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 08:19:07 AM by eric42434224 »
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

• Gym Rat
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Really Scrappy Player
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 08:28:45 AM »
Another misconception of Christianity is that everyone in the Bible got it right all of the time.

EDIT: BUT, concerning the actual topic here, I typically pray about any major change that may happen in my field of work or whatever job I'll take next. In Paul's letter to the Colossians he states that Christians ought to work as to the Lord, if we're talking about work ethic or effort or whatever.  I don't understand fully what you're getting at with your question though.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 08:43:06 AM by wolfandwolfandwolfandwolf »

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 08:57:34 AM »
Another misconception of Christianity is that everyone in the Bible got it right all of the time.

So who decides what was right and what was wrong?  Sounds like it is all open for widely varying interpretation.  That might be the biggest basis for perversions of christianity.

As to the OP:  One would think it is coomon sense that if you feel you are to live a christian life, then you should apply those values to all aspects of your life....including your vocation.  Just be careful of over doing it.  You cant only do volunteer work helping the poor for no pay while your family starves.  Balance.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 09:36:11 AM »
I'm not sure that religion has anything to do with your job, unless you are on staff at a church or a religious non-profit.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 11:03:10 AM »
I wanted to be a musician because I dig the spotlight but I also honestly believe that I've been given a gift, and it was my obligation to share it.  To make sure that I did so, He made it fun for me as well.  Made perfect sense.  But it didn't work out, so I went back to school to become a teacher.

Again, the idea was to share my gift, as He would want me to, or so I thought.  I was a good teacher, my students learned a lot and had fun doing it, but as we all know, teachers don't make jack for money, and after six years, I got laid off anyway.

So now I'm a computer programmer and makes lots of money and help a big corporation make lots of money, going on 17 years.  Instead of trying to guess at what I'm supposed to be doing, I've decided that whatever works out must be the way it's supposed to be.  There are a number of quotes which are variations on "we cannot understand His plan for us" or "His mind is beyond us" or whatever, so okay, I'll go that route.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 03:47:00 PM »

Eh, given some of the shite that *is* in the Bible, you might as well take a Sharpie and write it in.

rumborak

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 04:04:58 PM »
 :lol

• Gym Rat
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Really Scrappy Player
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 04:07:42 PM »

Eh, given some of the shite that *is* in the Bible, you might as well take a Sharpie and write it in.

rumborak
I'll narrow it down - it isn't a Christian teaching.

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2012, 05:28:24 PM »
there are too many passages in new testament to mention that highlight that we are to honor God in our jobs.  through honoring our bosses or treating our employees with respect, to working with all your heart, with integrity, for the joy of it rather than the paycheck.  to work hard when the boss isn't around, etc. 
our Christianity is absolutely central to our work behavior

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2012, 03:23:15 AM »
Supposedly. But be honest to yourself, you're not checking daily with scriptural doctrine when it comes to work decisions (because otherwise you'd end up like Andy), you just use your own judgment and moral compass.

rumborak

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2012, 07:11:47 AM »
It doesn't have to be a daily thing, though.  I worked for years doing what I thought I was supposed to be doing, and figured that that's something like a Christian work ethic.  I wasn't selling drugs or robbing banks, I was doing things that I honestly believed were improving our race and culture as a whole and just happened to get paid for it.

Now, I'm working my butt off for a pharmaceutical company.  We make stuff that treats cancer, crohn's, and other really serious diseases.  So in the big picture, I'm doing good stuff.  I don't start each day deciding how what I do will glorify God or anything like that, but I like to think that I'm doing something positive.  Does that count?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2012, 07:52:19 AM »
Of course, I guess. It's only that I find that those questions have little to do with either God or Christianity without explicitly shoehorning Him into it. I mean, I ask myself those questions too, only that I don't tack on the "is it the Christian thing to do?" at the end.

rumborak

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2012, 08:17:01 AM »
OK, I work hard, no question about that. My dilemma is even though my work brings joy to many and is a vital part of people celebrating love and family, I have to do it by slaughtering God's creatures(and making them tasty as hell).  Thoughts?

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2012, 08:40:57 AM »
OK, I work hard, no question about that. My dilemma is even though my work brings joy to many and is a vital part of people celebrating love and family, I have to do it by slaughtering God's creatures(and making them tasty as hell).  Thoughts?

1) If god didnt want us to eat meat, he wouldnt have made it so fucking tasty.

2) Didnt god state that all/some animals are basically lower than us and were put there for us to use/eat?
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline yeshaberto

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2012, 08:44:08 AM »

it is very interesting how work in Scripture is closely related to creation (particularly from the beginning with God who created for six days and then rested the seventh, then told us to also work six days and rest on sabbath).  when you look at work from this perspective, creating is at the core.  your career is a classic example of this.  seeing work from this perspective can help to bring the joy that God intended it to be.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2012, 09:25:19 AM »

1) If god didnt want us to eat meat, he wouldnt have made it so fucking tasty.

2) Didnt god state that all/some animals are basically lower than us and were put there for us to use/eat?

Exactly.  I'm good with that.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2012, 09:38:37 AM »
Animals are food.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline yeshaberto

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2012, 10:09:33 AM »
animals are tasty

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2012, 10:09:58 AM »
Well, animals are a lot more than that, but I guess yeah, they are eaten too.

rumborak

• Gym Rat
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Really Scrappy Player
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2012, 10:17:48 AM »
Animals are food.
And more recently, people.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2012, 10:58:15 AM »
I'd rather give personhood to an animal than a corporation.

rumborak

• Gym Rat
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Really Scrappy Player
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2012, 11:42:21 AM »

rumborak
Can I say no to both, or must I choose one?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2012, 12:16:02 PM »

rumborak

Good lord Rumby, next thing you'll give personhood to cartoons!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2012, 05:57:31 AM »

rumborak
I'm saying no to both.

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2012, 07:59:08 AM »

EDIT: BUT, concerning the actual topic here, I typically pray about any major change that may happen in my field of work or whatever job I'll take next. In Paul's letter to the Colossians he states that Christians ought to work as to the Lord, if we're talking about work ethic or effort or whatever.  I don't understand fully what you're getting at with your question though.
Basically what's your motivation behind career/job choices as a Christian if you are a believing Christian?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2012, 10:47:31 AM »

rumborak
I'm saying no to both.

So am I. Just figured I'd point out that I'd rather give it to a living being than an economic entity.

rumborak

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2012, 02:43:18 PM »
If God is okay with having sheep sacrificed to him, I'm sure he'll be okay with you killing a few animals so that you won't starve. I mean, if you sacrifice a sheep, that thing is basically wasted. You're putting the dead animals to good use.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2012, 07:10:55 PM »
If God is okay with having sheep sacrificed to him, I'm sure he'll be okay with you killing a few animals so that you won't starve. I mean, if you sacrifice a sheep, that thing is basically wasted. You're putting the dead animals to good use.

QFT

Offline jammindude

« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2012, 09:36:50 AM »
"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters." (Col 3:23 NIV)

And I disagree about not looking into the Bible daily..

"Happy are those who reject the advice of evil people, who do not follow the example of sinners or join those who have no use for God. Instead, they find joy in obeying the Law of the Lord, and they study it day and night. They are like trees that grow beside a stream, that bear fruit at the right time, and whose leaves do not dry up. They succeed in everything they do." (Ps 1:1-3 Good News Translation)
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2012, 09:38:45 AM »
What the hell is a good news translation? Is there a bad news translation? What about a no news is good news translation?
fanticide.bandcamp.com