Author Topic: Boxing Is Fixed. It mind as well hire Vince McMahon  (Read 10600 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Boxing Is Fixed. It mind as well hire Vince McMahon
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2012, 02:32:13 PM »
That wasn't as bad a decision as people made it out to be.  Don't' get me wrong, I had Paq winning 118-112.  However, I had 7 of those rounds marked such that a person could reasonably have given them to Bradley.  I wouldn't have, but it wouldn't have been crooked to do so.  Part of the problem was that (even early on) Paq was letting Bradley fight his fight for the first two minutes.  If you look at the first round, Bradley won it decisively up until the final 30 seconds, when Paq scored three solid lefts.  I'd give the round to Paq for doing some damage, but I'm not opposed to a judge giving it to Bradley for the total effort.

The other thing that really confuses the issue is that the guys calling the fight just couldn't wait for an opportunity to jump on Paq's dick.  From the beginning, they were pretty ruling out any prospect of Bradley being able to compete.  When he scored punches they didn't notice, and when Paq landed glancing blows they acted as if Bradley were lucky to be alive.  It makes it harder to be objective when the people who are describing the action aren't.  The flurry in the fourth round was a good example of that. Clearly Paq won the exchange, but there wasn't anything really solid there, and Bradley seemed to hurt himself more than Paq did.

Like I said, I thought Paq won the fight, but this isn't the travesty that some people are making it out to be.  One of the things that intrigues me about boxing is that judging is such of subjective thing. Here we saw that.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Syzzle

« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2012, 02:37:22 PM »
Eh. That's conveniently cynical, but not really realistic.

rumborak
The Sacramento Kings would beg to differ.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2012, 02:40:27 PM »
Its probably a different perspective watching after the fact. You may have saw it differently if you saw it live. It just seemed liked a breeze of win for Manny.
 I think Bradley was outclassed. If Pac fights him again I think he destroys him.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2012, 02:57:44 PM »

rumborak

Your statement wasn't that an occasional game is fixed (btw, the game you speak of had the refs fixed, who usually only have marginal influence on the final outcome), you said you think essentially all games are fixed. And that's ludicrous.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2012, 03:04:41 PM »
Its probably a different perspective watching after the fact. You may have saw it differently if you saw it live. It just seemed liked a breeze of win for Manny.
 I think Bradley was outclassed. If Pac fights him again I think he destroys him.
I think it's more likely that a lot of people were swayed by the non-stop lovefest the announcers were having for Paq.  Even one of those guys said after the fight that he'd have to go back and rewatch it on tape with the sound off so they don't skew his opinion.  Like I said, I think Paq won pretty decisively, but I think it was much more competitive fight than people are saying. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2012, 08:08:47 AM »
As much as this may turn off boxing fans the discussion came up this morning on talk radio

We all know Mayweather will never accept a fight against Pac, so stay with me

Pac uses his rematch clause against Bradley this fall and wins

Bradley camp says okay series tied 1-1 we need a third fight tiebreaker

This keeps Pac in the picture (and fighting)  until at least next spring

So as much as it is a black eye to boxing it also keeps the fans wanting more

Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2012, 08:58:22 AM »
As much as this may turn off boxing fans the discussion came up this morning on talk radio

Really? It makes me not care all that much, personally.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2012, 10:55:48 AM »

Really? It makes me not care all that much, personally.

not intended to keep the die-hard fan, but the more casual fan interested

Die-hards know boxing is fixed and has been for years....pay close attention to Bradley on the HBO replay after the fight he turns to his promoter Arum and says I lost before the decision is read not sure if HBO will air this or if the will edit it out

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2012, 11:07:37 AM »

rumborak

Your statement wasn't that an occasional game is fixed (btw, the game you speak of had the refs fixed, who usually only have marginal influence on the final outcome), you said you think essentially all games are fixed. And that's ludicrous.

rumborak

Wow Rumbo, no one said that. But there have been cases of soccer matches being arranged. The Italian league right now is a mess and more than 10 players have been arrested for fixing matches. A couple years back Juventus was relegated to second division because of this too.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2012, 05:14:49 PM »

It's interesting that they all scored it so differently, despite ending up about the same.  One thing I will say is that it actually was a somewhat difficult match to score.  I don't think punch counts really tell you much, and I don't think Paq dominated like people seemed to think.  Honestly, it was somewhat of a boring fight. 
E.F. Benson

Offline jcmistat

« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2012, 09:19:14 PM »
I doubt its possible but they should go until TKO. I know nothing of boxing and don't care.

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2012, 01:00:07 AM »
Man my two Philipino cooks were fucking pissed.  One of them is in a motorcycle gang, a real one, Hell's Angels affiliated and everything. I mentioned to him that last night drunk Philipinos were starting fights everywhere, his response was a dead pan "yeah, and I was one of them", really no surprise with him but still funny as hell.
FYI, they are Filipinos. The country was named after a king Felipe and since we called him Phillip the country became the Phillipines for us, but the people from the country kept the older Spanish-derived spelling for referring to themselves. [/pedantic]

:)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2012, 07:58:37 AM »
Man my two Philipino cooks were fucking pissed.  One of them is in a motorcycle gang, a real one, Hell's Angels affiliated and everything. I mentioned to him that last night drunk Philipinos were starting fights everywhere, his response was a dead pan "yeah, and I was one of them", really no surprise with him but still funny as hell.
FYI, they are Filipinos. The country was named after a king Felipe and since we called him Phillip the country became the Phillipines for us, but the people from the country kept the older Spanish-derived spelling for referring to themselves. [/pedantic]

:)

That's fine, but as Americans we don't go around calling people Deutschlanders or Nippons, and as such we're hardly about to call them Filipinos. 
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2012, 08:14:56 AM »
Since we are pointing out those kinds of things out, not all Americans do that, only people from the US.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2012, 08:33:17 AM »
US is the Americas......The Canucks up North are only considered part of North America because they wanted to be linked to us somehow as far as our neighbors to the south, they are just illegal aliens in waiting  ;D

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2012, 08:53:46 AM »
Well, you also have the rest of the freaking continent which includes at least 30 more countries?

Here is a wikipedia link for more info

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americas

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2012, 08:59:18 AM »

It's interesting that they all scored it so differently, despite ending up about the same.  One thing I will say is that it actually was a somewhat difficult match to score.  I don't think punch counts really tell you much, and I don't think Paq dominated like people seemed to think.  Honestly, it was somewhat of a boring fight.
Obviously a lot of people feel Pac won convincingly or there wouldn't be such a shit storm of controversy. I will be watching this again when it re airs.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2012, 09:15:00 AM »
Oh, I think Paq won, just not so convincingly. 

When you re-watch the fight, turn the sound off.  Put on an album or something.  You'll still think Paq won, but you might think it a bit closer, which it was.

edit:  I dug my scores out of the trash and compared them to the above.  They're similar.  I gave the first six rounds to Paq, but marked 1,2,5&6 as close enough that I wouldn't object to them going to Bradley.  3&4 were solid Paq rounds.  All 3 cards above reflect just that.  I scored the 7th even, which they all gave to Bradly.  From then on, they traded rounds back and forth on my card.  That's where I diverged from the pros.  Given that Bradly had somewhat turned the thing around, I can understand why they were scoring him higher.

To be honest, if Paq had him so outclassed, I'm puzzled why he never laid it on.  I kind of got the impression Paq could have really beat the shit out of Bradly, but never really tried to.  Quite frankly, if this fight were rigged, I'd probably be pointing at Paq who kind of half-assed his way through the thing. 
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 09:27:30 AM by El Barto »
E.F. Benson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2012, 09:46:18 AM »
Well, you also have the rest of the freaking continent which includes at least 30 more countries?

None of those places have "America" in the name of their country.  None of them are called Americans.  Only people living in the U.S. are Americans.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2012, 10:28:25 AM »

None of those places have "America" in the name of their country.  None of them are called Americans.  Only people living in the U.S. are Americans.

America is a continent therefore everyone living in it is an American, the same way anyone living in any European country is considered an European, same for Asia, Africa and so on.

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2012, 12:16:22 PM »
That's fine, but as Americans we don't go around calling people Deutschlanders or Nippons, and as such we're hardly about to call them Filipinos.
You've got a good point in that we don't call everyone by what they call themselves, but it remains that the English term for people from the Philippines is Filipino.

OED defines American as:
1) adj - relating to the US or to the continents of America
2) noun - a person from the US or any of the countries of North, South, or Central America.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 12:22:24 PM by slycordinator »

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2012, 12:36:50 PM »
Look, I don't care what any definitions from a particular site say, I can tell you as an American, and someone who deals with quite a few Americans in every part of my life every day, and as the person who originally wrote the sentence that when an American talks about Americans, they are talking about people from the United States, that's just how it's used here.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2012, 12:39:20 PM »

To be honest, if Paq had him so outclassed, I'm puzzled why he never laid it on.  I kind of got the impression Paq could have really beat the shit out of Bradly, but never really tried to.  Quite frankly, if this fight were rigged, I'd probably be pointing at Paq who kind of half-assed his way through the thing.
I think Manny was unfocused, and not in the best of shape. He took Bradley too lightly.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 01:51:45 PM by Tick »

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2012, 12:40:57 PM »
You also use inches and miles and ounces and whatnot. The rest of the world doesn't. Democratically speaking the rest of the world has more people than the US therefore you are wrong. Or are you a communist that doesn't care what the majority says and wants to go his own way? Are you a communist Nick? Are you?

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2012, 12:49:13 PM »
You also use inches and miles and ounces and whatnot. The rest of the world doesn't. Democratically speaking the rest of the world has more people than the US therefore you are wrong. Or are you a communist that doesn't care what the majority says and wants to go his own way? Are you a communist Nick? Are you?

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, simply how it is. :p

And I'm not a communist, I'm a badass rebel mother fucking who doesn't live by anyone's rules. FIGHT THE POWER.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2012, 01:04:19 PM »

so personally when you speak of someone from Mexico or Canada you refer to the as American as opposed to Mexican and Canadian ?

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2012, 01:13:39 PM »
No, but I don't call people from the US Americans, I refer to them as people from the US since I consider American is a much broader term. Here were I leave we call them yanquis.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2012, 01:30:09 PM »
No, but I don't call people from the US Americans, I refer to them as people from the US since I consider American is a much broader term. Here were I leave we call them yanquis.

Yanquis =Yankees ?   

Thats what southern people in the USA refer to people from the Northern part of the USA as

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: June 14, 2012, 01:50:02 PM »
Yanquis =Yankees ?   

Yep.

Thats what southern people in the USA refer to people from the Northern part of the USA as

We usually use that cause it's shorter than saying "estadounidense" which would be the correct way of referring to people from the US.

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2012, 06:20:23 PM »
Look, I don't care what any definitions from a particular standardized dictionary of the English language say
FIFY  :P

And I too think it's weird sometimes seeing movies where foreigners refer to all people from the US as "Yanks" or "Yankees" since it normally referred to the Union soldiers from the Civil War and then to anyone from the north.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #65 on: June 16, 2012, 05:47:15 AM »
We usually use that cause it's shorter than saying "estadounidense" which would be the correct way of referring to people from the US.
No, the correct way is "Americans."  No one ever refers to "all of the people from the Americas" because they are disjointed, fragmented, and non-connected.  People can refer to Europeans because they are culturally (and financially) connected.

The only Americans are citizens of the Unites States of America.  Canadians are not Americans.  Mexicans are not Americans.  Costa Ricans are not Americans.  Whenever anyone uses the word "American" they are referring to people from the U.S.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: June 16, 2012, 07:14:00 AM »
I'm not denying that people use Americans to refer to US folks, I'm just saying I don't think it's accurate. And regarding Europe, eastern europeans and western europeans have very different cultures, not all of their countires are in the Euro zone so not all of them share the economy et they are still all considered Europeans.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #67 on: June 16, 2012, 08:52:29 AM »
I'm not denying that people use Americans to refer to US folks, I'm just saying I don't think it's accurate.
I have no idea why, since that is the way it is actually used.  That's what "accurate" means.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #68 on: June 16, 2012, 02:03:41 PM »
People from North America would be called North Americans. South America: South Americans. Just Americans implies people from the US.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #69 on: June 17, 2012, 08:02:51 AM »
Watched it on my brand new 52 inch LED Sharp Aquos. Awesome TV!
Anyhow. I agree the announcers were extremely bias towards Pac, as you said, Barto. Bradley wasn't as bad as I thought, but he clearly lost. Any referee not on the take would not score for Bradley. In my humble opinion.