Author Topic: Space Command, sci-fi films by Marc Zicree (Star Trek, Babylon 5, Twilight Zone)  (Read 1950 times)

Offline abydos

• DT.net
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/58936338/space-command

I've always needed a show about space and exploration in the sci-fi genre. But recently things haven't been too good for that and I just finished watching the last of the new Dr Who episodes and it doesn't seem like there's going to be anything of that sort any time soon.
I was browsing kickstarter the other day and came across this and it got me all excited. I love the main idea about the vision behind it but not being tongue in cheek or outright cheesy and the names working on this lead me to think that this could very well be the next big thing for sci-fi fans.

I highly recommend checking out the videos and getting familiar with the people making this a reality, you'll be surprised to find out they've been working on the best sci-fi shows in the last 20 years or even more.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
I donated to this before they hit their first goal, but it's still well worth donating to make this even better. :tup I'm willing to pay some money to actually get some real science fiction. Not much of it around anymore, at least the space based stuff.

They've got Robert Picardo (Voyager's doctor), Ethan Philips (Neelix from Voyager), George Takei (Sulu), Armin Shimerman (Quark), several others, plus they've got a ton of people from Trek/BSG working on it behind the scenes.

Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
Call me shallow but I can not get passed the barrage of absolutely terrible CGI in that KS video.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Call me shallow but I can not get passed the barrage of absolutely terrible CGI in that KS video.

Just an FYI, the CG in that video was only done by the one guy, in a short amount of time, and he's actually the VFX CG supervisor from BSG/Caprica/B&C. The final movie actually has a small team of people who also worked on those shows, so I'd expect the quality should be up to that standard.
They said they'll be releasing a new trailer of CG later, although I'm not sure if that's before the Kickstarter funding campaign finishes.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 02:58:44 AM by BlobVanDam »

Offline abydos

• DT.net
Yeah I felt the same the first time I watched it but after watching the rest of the videos, who is behind it, what their ideas are and how they are approaching it I felt optimistic about it. I doubt it will be worse than Sanctuary and that one's decent.
But even if it sucks I am willing to forgive them if the rest is good.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'm more than confident in the people behind it to lay down some money and give them the benefit of the doubt. The video makes it look like a cheap '50s scifi remake, but when you look more into what they've revealed, I think it should be a pretty good space based scifi series.
And their target budget is really tiny. The more money they can get over their target, the better the chances this could be something great. I'm interested to see if they have any solid stretch goals to announce once they soon hit their next target of $150k.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
A cool interview with details about the vision, the tone, overall story and time setting, etc.

https://scifi4me.com/2012/06/07/space-command-wants-you/ (doesn't work with FF so you may have to use Chrome)

Also, I love this poster style concept art

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
I do like that.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
They hit 150k, woot! Also, here's an hour long interview where they talk about everything. Including Prometheus w/o spoilers. https://www.geekscape.net/geekscape-265-marc-zicree-step-aboard-space-command
I check for updates every day, can't believe I'm this excited (or desperate) about this.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I check for updates every day, can't believe I'm this excited (or desperate) about this.

Yeah, me too. :lol
I get excited every day to see the building of the physical model ship (I find the process very interesting), and I always like the stuff they post on their FB page. I haven't listened to this interview yet, so I'll check it out.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 04:46:21 PM by abydos »