Poll

Who do you think takes it harder when their team loses?

The Players
11 (32.4%)
The Fans
23 (67.6%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: The Suffering. Players or fans?  (Read 4128 times)

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Re: The Suffering. Players or fans?
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2012, 08:46:48 AM »
The fans are paying the player's salaries.  Of course they take it harder.  When the players lose, they're still laughing all the way to the bank.  Now, if the fans were getting paid that much, they wouldn't be nearly as upset.  I'm just sayin'...
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2012, 08:49:29 AM »
The fans are paying the player's salaries.  Of course they take it harder.  When the players lose, they're still laughing all the way to the bank.  Now, if the fans were getting paid that much, they wouldn't be nearly as upset.  I'm just sayin'...

Elaborate.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2012, 08:51:46 AM »
UNC @ FSU 2012- broke a bunch of shit in my living room

Fuck yeah  :metal

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2012, 08:54:23 AM »

Elaborate.
The only reason players can get paid is because people pay to watch them, or because advertisers pay to advertise to the people watching them. Those people paying / watching are the fans.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2012, 08:56:17 AM »

Elaborate.

Without the fans, sports wouldn't exist.  Where do you think all that money comes from?
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2012, 09:00:24 AM »
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2012, 09:00:59 AM »
I probably broke a bunch of stuff in my living room as well, from celebrating so much  :lol

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2012, 09:02:57 AM »

Elaborate.
Not really necessary is it? Common sence. No fans who care, no players making big money. Pretty simple actually.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2012, 09:18:51 AM »
Oh the fans, totally.

I used to be a massive sports freak, the kind that had a favorite team for every sport I followed and took every loss poorly. Certainly wasn't healthy for me, but one day in 1997 or so, when my favorite football team was losing, I was struck with an epiphany: "These guys who you're this upset over? After they lose this game they'll still be making millions. Why are YOU so upset?"

Since that day, I've never had a favorite team in any sport. And I actually enjoyed watching sports again. Being a fanatic about anything is unhealthy.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2012, 09:19:56 AM »

Elaborate.
Not really necessary is it? Common sence. No fans who care, no players making big money. Pretty simple actually.

Sure it is. At the end of the day, yes it is fans. But, a lot of the players salaries (at least in baseball) is coming from things like TV deals and product advertising.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2012, 09:23:02 AM »

Elaborate.

Sure it is. At the end of the day, yes it is fans. But, a lot of the players salaries (at least in baseball) is coming from things like TV deals and product advertising.
Which wouldn't pay any money if there weren't fans to watch the games.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2012, 09:39:23 AM »
I agree that ultimately fans pay the salaries, but I disagree with the "fans pay the players" mindset. That shit is paid for. When any team signs a new player, most of the time the money is already there. Things like ticket sales and merchandise go back into the stadiums and merchandise.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2012, 11:24:00 AM »
Unless you are a 90 year old lifelong Chicago Cubs fan, I think if you are ever ‘suffering’ you are talking your rooting interests too seriously.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jcmistat

« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2012, 11:50:49 AM »
Easily the fans. Ripping players over the radio, over the internet, and at the games. Also the extreme case of violence and rioting.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2012, 02:27:35 PM »
I agree that ultimately fans pay the salaries, but I disagree with the "fans pay the players" mindset. That shit is paid for. When any team signs a new player, most of the time the money is already there. Things like ticket sales and merchandise go back into the stadiums and merchandise.
No fans, no players. The fans absolutely pay the players, indirectly. They buy the tickets and the merchandise. If they don't there is no money for anything.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2012, 03:21:48 PM »
No fans, no players. The fans absolutely pay the players, indirectly. They buy the tickets and the merchandise. If they don't there is no money for anything.

I can almost guarantee that ticket sales do not go to the players.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2012, 04:08:28 PM »

Elaborate.

Of course, but those sponsors and investors wouldn't be there without a fan base.  Who do you think is watching those commercials?  It all originates from fans.  Supply and demand is the simplest way to put it.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2012, 05:40:58 AM »

I can almost guarantee that ticket sales do not go to the players.
Snapple, your taking it too literally. The reality is this. If the fans decided they longer care about baseball, and they will no longer watch on TV or go to live games, and also buy merchandise, then there would me no money for owners to pay the players.

People don't care about Arena football, and it is just a cult following so the players don't make that much to play the game. If fans decided to go all in, on Arena football, and sell out games, buy merchandise, and watch faithfully, guess what, the players would make big money.
The fans do pay the players no matter how you slice it.