Poll

Who do you think takes it harder when their team loses?

The Players
11 (32.4%)
The Fans
23 (67.6%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: The Suffering. Players or fans?  (Read 4129 times)

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
The Suffering. Players or fans?
« on: June 07, 2012, 05:49:51 AM »
If you are a diehard fan of any sports team, ifs a tough night when your team gets eliminated from postseason play. Who do you think takes it harder in general, the diehard fans of the team, or the players on the team. Its just my opinion but I think the players as much as they want to win have an easier time putting it behind them, than the fans. Not in all cases, but in general.
The players generally have a shitload of money, nice houses, cars, boats, hot wives, there kids, and other things to soften the blow. They can golf, go on vacations, or whatever.
The fans in some cases can be way to serious about there sports teams and can go into a serious funk after there team loses. Sometimes its too much of a focal point in there lives.
Also the fan has rooted for that uniform his whole life while the player in many cases has no real emotional connection with the team or its history.
So, I'm going with the fan.
For me personally, I used to let my team losing eat me up for awhile when I was younger. Nowadays, it generally bums me out for 24 hours and then I tend to accept in it and move on.
Your thoughts?
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
Re: The Suffering. Players or fans?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 06:20:28 AM »
The (fanatical) fans take it harder.  Players at the highest level need to have certain skills that allow them to detach from a big loss so they can focus on the next game, and not dwell on the past.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 06:30:56 AM »
The fans. We ain't got shit going for us but dey gotz teh munny.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 06:40:22 AM »
The fans.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 06:41:35 AM »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 06:46:50 AM »

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 08:28:55 AM »
It's a bit of both, I think.  The players understand the caliber of the team that beats them, so that helps assuage the pain, but still, it is their life and passion, and no amount of money can take away that sting, especially if it is something tragic(see dropped punt in NFC title game).

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 08:33:16 AM »
As much as it sucks to lose as a fan, no one takes it as close to as hard as the players. I play in a local hockey league with a 6-8 week season and then a playoffs that usually lasts about as many games. Last season, we got to the finals and lost a best of 3 series by 1 goal in game 3 and it feels like crap. Sure, I love the Flyers, but I have nothing really do to with the organization. When it's your own work and sweat it's on a completely different level.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 08:38:17 AM »
It's a bit of both, I think.  The players understand the caliber of the team that beats them, so that helps assuage the pain, but still, it is their life and passion, and no amount of money can take away that sting, especially if it is something tragic(see dropped punt in NFC title game).
I agree with you, but if I still think the lifelong Rangers fan takes it harder losing to the cross town rival Devils for a trip to the finals than a multi million dollar free agent like Brad Richards who has only worn the uniform one year and is now living his illustrious off season life. Its just one guys opinion. I'm sure there are exceptions where some players take it very hard, but I still think the quality of there lives softens the sting of it a lot.
Remember sports is a major form of escape from stress and reality for many people and they put way too much of there energy into it. When it crumbles, many fans are devestated.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 08:39:41 AM »
As much as it sucks to lose as a fan, no one takes it as close to as hard as the players. I play in a local hockey league with a 6-8 week season and then a playoffs that usually lasts about as many games. Last season, we got to the finals and lost a best of 3 series by 1 goal in game 3 and it feels like crap. Sure, I love the Flyers, but I have nothing really do to with the organization. When it's your own work and sweat it's on a completely different level.
Different ball of wax entirely. I'm strictly talking about top flight pro athletes, not weekend wariors.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 08:41:28 AM »
As a third generation Cal Bears fan, I hear what you're saying. I finally have gotten to a point where the losing doesn't kill me, but for a long while, a tough loss to a rival would put me in a funk for a few days.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 08:47:29 AM »
Different ball of wax entirely. I'm strictly talking about top flight pro athletes, not weekend wariors.

It's only magnified for pro-athletes who play more games, work harder, and have a bigger prize.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 08:48:24 AM »
Being a diehard fan (meaning no less than fanatical) is a huge investment. In fact, I can't imagine it is a healthy investment. As an example, I've taken some losses really hard (UNC @ GT 2010- couldn't sleep the night after the loss and ended up with a massive fever for the next two days, UNC @ FSU 2012- broke a bunch of shit in my living room, UNC @ Duke 2011- We HAD that game won, Duke @ UNC 2012- What a choke. I couldn't go to school for the rest of the week) As someone who has both played and watched, I think the fan will typically take the loss harder. Now granted, I never played in the NBA or any level of competition close to that, but I did play competitive soccer for 15 years. I got to be quite good (at least on the state level), and somehow it always seemed that I cared less about the result of the game then I did about what I could control: my effort level.

Being a fanatic supporter of any team has its really good moments, but also some dangerously scary moments.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2012, 08:57:48 AM »
Very true, many a time when Cal lost to SC or Stanfurd, it would put me in a deep funk. Then again, as someone who wants his ashes scattered at Berkeley's Memorial Stadium, I can easily say I am deeply passionate about the sport.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2012, 09:01:02 AM »
Being a diehard fan (meaning no less than fanatical) is a huge investment. In fact, I can't imagine it is a healthy investment. As an example, I've taken some losses really hard (UNC @ GT 2010- couldn't sleep the night after the loss and ended up with a massive fever for the next two days, UNC @ FSU 2012- broke a bunch of shit in my living room, UNC @ Duke 2011- We HAD that game won, Duke @ UNC 2012- What a choke. I couldn't go to school for the rest of the week) As someone who has both played and watched, I think the fan will typically take the loss harder. Now granted, I never played in the NBA or any level of competition close to that, but I did play competitive soccer for 15 years. I got to be quite good (at least on the state level), and somehow it always seemed that I cared less about the result of the game then I did about what I could control: my effort level.

Being a fanatic supporter of any team has its really good moments, but also some dangerously scary moments.
This comentary exemplifies exactly why I take the stance that fans take it harder.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2012, 09:09:30 AM »

It's only magnified for pro-athletes who play more games, work harder, and have a bigger prize.
I liken the amatuer athlete more to the fan that watches rather than a pro that plays for a living. The guy who loses the softball championship takes it hard because much like the diehard fan, he puts too much stock and energy into it. The pro does it for a living and although it hurts, I think he moves on a bit easier to his off season and prepares his mindset towards the following one.

Once again, he does not have the same emotional ties to that uniform that the lifelong fan does. The history and importance of what the franchise he plays for has done in there past just isn't as important to him.

The 21 year old rookie on the Mets can't possibly care as much about Johans no hitter as the guy who has watched the team faithfully for 40 years.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2012, 09:39:04 AM »
I think the riots finalized my choice.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2012, 09:56:52 AM »
It is a fundamental behavoir that is either innate at the elite level, or at the very least is requied to be learned and honed.
That behavoir is to be able to detach from a big loss emotionally, and turn the focus to the next task at hand.  Not doing so will have an effect on the performance going forward, and they can't afford that.  Ask any elite athelete and they will tell you this.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2012, 10:24:48 AM »
It depends. Mostly, it's the fans. However, from time to time, a very passionate player will take a loss more seriously than a fan could even comprehend.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2012, 12:36:58 PM »
I would say in most cases its the fans, but I'd make the exception that sometimes if an individual player blows it he'll take it worse because he let his team down.  I'm a very competitive person, but I know when I'm outclassed, have shitty luck, or make mistakes that cause me to lose, so I can either rationalize the loss and learn from it.  There is no consolation when it's a team you cheer for, it's just, "Damnit, we lost.  Time to mope."  So in most cases I'm siding with Tick, but I can't imagine any fan taking the SF loss more than Kyle Williams might have.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2012, 01:08:32 PM »

I agree mostly agree with this post, though DTVT is right too. I always feel sucky when I blow something like that in our school league and I can only imagine it to be so much worse for the top players.

Just a question though: you are 17 and you have played soccer for 15 years? How does that work?
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2012, 01:09:10 PM »
I would say in most cases its the fans, but I'd make the exception that sometimes if an individual player blows it he'll take it worse because he let his team down.  I'm a very competitive person, but I know when I'm outclassed, have shitty luck, or make mistakes that cause me to lose, so I can either rationalize the loss and learn from it.  There is no consolation when it's a team you cheer for, it's just, "Damnit, we lost.  Time to mope."  So in most cases I'm siding with Tick, but I can't imagine any fan taking the SF loss more than Kyle Williams might have.
Great point. I'm sure Bill Buckner too it harder in 86 then even the championship starving Red Sox fans.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2012, 03:16:08 PM »
Depends on the player. 

There are still two crushing defeats I've never forget from playing hockey and I seem to remember those more than the sweet victories.

As a fan, it doesn't get any better than experiencing Stanley Cup victories and I've enjoyed 7 of them so far between the Islanders and Devils.

But it still bothers me about the Flyers in 1975, Lanny McDonald in 1978, John Davidson in 1979, Edmonton in 1984, Pittsburgh in 1991, Matteau in 1994, Colorado in 2001, Carolina in 2009.....

1994 was the only year I didn't watch the finals for as long as I can remember. I was on media blackout. The last memory I have of that year was Matteau. That year crushed my psyche. I really thought I'd live my entire life without the Rangers winning the Cup. Sure the Devils won it the following year, but the record was perfect.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2012, 03:20:12 PM »
With Pro teams, I'd say the fans suffer more. With amatuer teams, the players.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2012, 03:21:40 PM »

This.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2012, 03:41:13 PM »

I agree mostly agree with this post, though DTVT is right too. I always feel sucky when I blow something like that in our school league and I can only imagine it to be so much worse for the top players.

Just a question though: you are 17 and you have played soccer for 15 years? How does that work?

hmm... I guess it is closer to 14 years. Although I've been playing for as long as I can remember walking. In fact, some of my very first memories are of playing soccer.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2012, 03:47:00 PM »

1994 was the only year I didn't watch the finals for as long as I can remember. I was on media blackout. The last memory I have of that year was Matteau. That year crushed my psyche. I really thought I'd live my entire life without the Rangers winning the Cup. Sure the Devils won it the following year, but the record was perfect.
HA HA!!! :lol :tup

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2012, 03:49:39 PM »

hmm... I guess it is closer to 14 years. Although I've been playing for as long as I can remember walking. In fact, some of my very first memories are of playing soccer.

That's cool! I didn't know that there were teams for three-year-olds - there definitely aren't any in Germany.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline erik16

• The one on the right
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2012, 05:04:00 PM »
Fanatical fans, i.e tards suffer more. I can be a tard when it comes to tennis.

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2012, 06:11:51 PM »
If it's amateur league, the players, since they're more vested in the game's outcome and are ultimately in it exclusively for their own enjoyment.

If it's professional league, the fans, since the players will still collect a paycheck. Not to discredit their passion for the game, but there's more than one thing at work here, now.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2012, 08:49:35 PM »
Players.

Fans aren't going to get fired for a team losing too many times.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2012, 12:29:17 AM »
Players.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2012, 05:20:55 AM »
Players.

Fans aren't going to get fired for a team losing too many times.
Neither do players with guaranteed multi year contracts.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2012, 05:27:49 AM »
I'm honestly a bit surprised anyone voted players. The players look at it like a job these days. Rightfully so, since the owners and organizations treat them like any other company treats employees. As long as the check doesn't bounce they are good. A small percentage may take it hard when they lose, but its a no brainer, the fans take it harder in general.